The Indo-German "Special Relationship"
The "special relationship" between the German Empire and the Indian Confederation was played a major role in geopolitics in the late 19th and early 20th century.
At the center of this was the close friendship between Kaiser Wilhelm II and Maharaja Ranjit Singh II, which played a pivotal role in strengthening ties between the two nations.

Kaiser Wilhelm II's admiration for Sikh culture, particularly the martial tradition embodied by the Khalsa, resonated deeply with him. The discipline and militarism of Sikhism mirrored the Prussian militarism that Wilhelm II championed.

Another key to the "special relationship" was a joint disdain and animosity towards the British Empire. Both Germany and India harbored a lot of disdain and loathing against the British and viewed the British as a common adversary. This shared antipathy towards the British further solidified their alliance.

Military cooperation between Germany and India was a cornerstone of their relationship, with joint military exercises, war games, and technology-sharing initiatives strengthening their strategic partnership. Germany's sharing of the Haber-Bosch method with India was of major significant, as it revolutionized ammunition production and agricultural practices in the Indian Confederation. The Haber-Bosch process enabled India to produce ammunition more efficiently, enhancing its military capabilities, while also increasing agricultural productivity.

This wasn't a one-way street however. Germany also drew inspiration from Indian military strategy and technology, recognizing India's prowess in artillery, which was considered the best in the world. The German High Command studied historical Indian military campaigns, particularly the tactics employed by Tipu Sultan during his wars against the British in the late 18th century. Tipu Sultan's strategy of launching probing attacks with cavalry to identify weaknesses in enemy lines, followed by targeted rocket attacks to exploit these vulnerabilities, before then launching an offensive to breakthrough, deeply influenced German military doctrine. Germany incorporated these tactics into its own military strategy. They also utilized Indian artillery pieces, which they purchased from the Indian Confederation, to bolster its arsenal.

The "special relationship" between Germany and the Indian Confederation transcended mere diplomatic ties, encompassing cultural admiration, strategic cooperation, and disdain against a common foe. Their partnership played a significant role in the geopolitical landscape of the early 20th century.

The Santiniketan Education System
The evolution of the education system in the Indian Confederation was a complex process. At the heart of this transformation was a tension between embracing modernity and preserving tradition.

Initially, the Indian Confederation sought to emulate European influences, attempting to replicate the education systems of colonial powers. The Europhiles in the Bharat Mahasangh advocated for the adoption of Western educational practices, believing them to be superior. They were enamored with Western developments in science and technology, viewing traditional Indian education as outdated and inferior. However, their attempts to implement the Western models encountered issues, as it failed to resonate with the cultural values of India.

Amidst this debate, the Arya Samaj Movement, led by Dayananda Saraswati, emerged as a vocal proponent of integrating modernity into traditional systems of education. The Arya Samaj vehemently opposed Western materialism and criticized the hollow nature of the Western educational system, and instead advocated for a return to educational practices rooted in Indian culture and values.

Rabindranath Tagore emerged as a central figure in Indian education reform, championing an alternative approach. As the governor of a province in the Republic of Bengal, Tagore implemented the Santiniketan system of education, based on the principles of "gurukul," or ancient Indian learning institutions. Rejecting the rote memorization and exam-centered approach of Western education, Santiniketan emphasized experiential learning, creative expression, and physical development alongside intellectual learning. Tagore's model of education was one that encouraged unity and nationalism, transcending barriers of religion, ethnicity, and class.

Consul Raja Ram Mohan Roy recognized the potential of Tagore's system, and championed its implementation on a national level. However, the introduction of the Santiniketan system faced significant opposition from various groups in Indian society.

Europhiles within the Bharat Mahasangh, enamored with the West, viewed traditional Indian education as inferior. Orthodox Hindus, proponents of the caste system, opposed the mixing of students from different castes, fearing the end of caste purity. Ethnic nationalists raised concerns about assimilation and the perceived "pollution" of their blood. The affluent wealthy elite also were reluctant to send their kids to a school alongside those of a lesser social class. Opposition to the Santiniketan system also came from religious minorities. Muslims and Christians, in particular, hesitated to embrace a system they viewed as inherently Hindu in nature.

Despite the challenges, Raja Ram Mohan Roy skillfully managed to cobble together a coalition of supporters from disparate backgrounds. Lower-caste and lower-class individuals saw Santiniketan as a pathway to upward mobility and social progress, while Indian nationalists viewed it as a means to instill nationalist fervor and a sense of "Indianness" among the youth. The militarists, and the armed forces in general, supported Santiniketan for its focus on physical fitness, recognizing that a robust and healthy populace meant a larger manpower pool they could draw from.

Ultimately, Raja Ram Mohan Roy succeeded, enacting the Indian Education Reform Law of 1877 to establish the Santiniketan system as the national education framework.

The evolution of the education system in the Indian Confederation was a complex process. At the heart of this transformation was a tension between embracing modernity and preserving tradition.

Initially, the Indian Confederation sought to emulate European influences, attempting to replicate the education systems of colonial powers. The Europhiles in the Bharat Mahasangh advocated for the adoption of Western educational practices, believing them to be superior. They were enamored with Western developments in science and technology, viewing traditional Indian education as outdated and inferior. However, their attempts to implement the Western models encountered issues, as it failed to resonate with the cultural values of India.

Amidst this debate, the Arya Samaj Movement, led by Dayananda Saraswati, emerged as a vocal proponent of integrating modernity into traditional systems of education. The Arya Samaj vehemently opposed Western materialism and criticized the hollow nature of the Western educational system, and instead advocated for a return to educational practices rooted in Indian culture and values.

Rabindranath Tagore emerged as a central figure in Indian education reform, championing an alternative approach. As the governor of a province in the Republic of Bengal, Tagore implemented the Santiniketan system of education, based on the principles of "gurukul," or ancient Indian learning institutions. Rejecting the rote memorization and exam-centered approach of Western education, Santiniketan emphasized experiential learning, creative expression, and physical development alongside intellectual learning. Tagore's model of education was one that encouraged unity and nationalism, transcending barriers of religion, ethnicity, and class.

Consul Raja Ram Mohan Roy recognized the potential of Tagore's system, and championed its implementation on a national level. However, the introduction of the Santiniketan system faced significant opposition from various groups in Indian society.

Europhiles within the Bharat Mahasangh, enamored with the West, viewed traditional Indian education as inferior. Orthodox Hindus, proponents of the caste system, opposed the mixing of students from different castes, fearing the end of caste purity. Ethnic nationalists raised concerns about assimilation and the perceived "pollution" of their blood. The affluent wealthy elite also were reluctant to send their kids to a school alongside those of a lesser social class. Opposition to the Santiniketan system also came from religious minorities. Muslims and Christians, in particular, hesitated to embrace a system they viewed as inherently Hindu in nature.

Despite the challenges, Raja Ram Mohan Roy skillfully managed to cobble together a coalition of supporters from disparate backgrounds. Lower-caste and lower-class individuals saw Santiniketan as a pathway to upward mobility and social progress, while Indian nationalists viewed it as a means to instill nationalist fervor and a sense of "Indianness" among the youth. The militarists, and the armed forces in general, supported Santiniketan for its focus on physical fitness, recognizing that a robust and healthy populace meant a larger manpower pool they could draw from.

Ultimately, Raja Ram Mohan Roy succeeded, enacting the Indian Education Reform Law of 1877 to establish the Santiniketan system as the national education framework.
As an Indian, especially Bengali, I think you are just throwing out famous names.
While Dayanand Saraswati was a contemporary,
Rammohan Roy died in 1833.
Lets say, he doesnt die cuz he never goes to UK, but then too,
Tagore would be only 16... hard to create an entire education system at that age.
Shantiniketan's education began only in 1901 with Vishwabharati being created in 1921.
Lets say its earlier, but then, where is the biggest contemporary, educator, Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar?

I ended up deciding to keep the Europeans' colonies around rather than to completely hamstring them because that way, it's still in the realm of being familiar. As in, it's still relatively closer to IRL, though with some differences. IDK, it's just my preference, but I tend to try to keep things to be as close as can be to real life, as it's what I'm more comfortable with. Nothing wrong with what you wanted, it's just merely a matter of personal preferences.

Yeah, I'd learned in my AP World History class in High School about the Indian Ocean Trade. So I went back to my good ol' AP World History textbook and read it again, and found out you're right. Ceylon was a major part of the East-West trade.

Thanks! :)

Right now, the British have control of Burma, as part of their "Constriction" Plan, to surround India with either colonies or allies, and make India have to fight any future war with them on multiple fronts, stretching them thin.

India is making a massive amount of profit here. I did say this in a previous post, but cities like Surat, Goa, and the Gujarat Coast are known as the "Antwerp of the East". India does also charge European powers a hefty fee to use Ceylonese Harbors as resting and refueling stations, so that's definitely a lot of money earned. India is using that money to industrialize and modernize itself.

Yeah, I figured. India can never be friends with the British (for obvious reasons). It has problems with Russia (due to y'know, the Great Game and a battle for influence over Afghanistan). It also has problems with the French (y'know, 'cause they got Indochina and all, and also, (I'll cover this in a later post), France will be going after one of India's friends (Madagascar). So there is that. Similar reasons with Portugal and Italy as well.

Yeah, they can only benefit by being friends with each other. Kaiser Wilhelm II and Maharaja Ranjit Singh II are in particular really good friends, something that I will cover potentially in a future chapter, which will be about the "special relationship" between the German Empire and the Indian Confederation.

Yeah, I wasn't entirely sure if such a railway akin to the Berlin-Delhi railway would even be a realistic action, not in that it's possibility but in that whether they would even want to have such a railway. Ultimately, I decided in the affirmative. Like, this is the perfect way for Germany to expand its influence (and also Box in Russia). It's kind of like the OTL Berlin-Baghdad Railway, only of course a LOT longer.

I'm thinking of Ceylon as having commercial rubber plantations, only here of course India will introduce it. I was also thinking of having Indian Malaysia and Sumatra having those Rubber plantations.

Damn, that bad? I knew that it was quite ugly, but I didn't know it was as bad as your 2 former tenants not even wanting to eat and sit at the same table. Damn, that's... bad, to say the least. I didn't really cover the caste system in my first TL Just in Time, and I sought to fix that here. And I did know a little bit about Dayananda Saraswati and the Arya Samaj Movement, as well as Raja Ram Mohan Roy. There are some differences here ofc. Here, in this TL, at the young age of 21, Dayanada Saraswati founds the Arya Samaj. IRL, he founded it a LOT later. Also Raja Ram Mohan Roy IRL worked with the Brits to abolish Sati and do reforms. Here, he's Consul of India, so he does a lot more comprehensive reforms.

How so? I'm just curious.

I'm planning on having an Independent Madagascar here just like my previous TL. So there's that.

As tempting as that is, I want the European imperialists to suffer the loss of their colonies. And also want their egos to be shattered as they get crushed by India, a supposedly "inferior" nation.

Really? Is the Indian Confederation really that powerful?

Also I was thinking of India creating innovative military tactics and strategies. What do you think about that?

@Gentian1707
Caste system is something that kept a vaste majority from education. In my own Sri Lankan history, it was similar. My family on my father's side were all teachers and principals. During the days my older uncles attended school (British colonial time), there were many low caste families who weren't allowed entry to schools. Sometimes, legally they were allowed, but highly discouraged by the wealthy and the higher casts. During the time my father was a teacher, his elder brothers were principals. My father used to say that his brother sometimes had to visit homes of wealthy people and drag servant class kids to school. The low caste, servant families protested sending their kids to school as they were afraid of retaliation from the wealthy, and wealthy, high caste people protested as this was considered 'uppity' for the servants and a waste of their tax money. But law was law and Marxism influenced generation like my parents age people ensured that it died out. By my time, caste system was effectively dead in Sri Lanka. As education is one of the fundamental ways HDI is measured, being a highly literate society will boost indian federations HDI, and it's development.

Indian federation by this point is highly likely the world's most populous nation, with imperial China being the second. Not a single country or empire comes close. It is also one of the largest in terms of land size. And if industrialisation is underway and if it is able to match atleast half of what European industrialisation level is, it is a giant they can't match. Imagine the size of armies it can produce considering how many the Germans and the British managed as a percentage of their populations. Only way indian federation can become weak in this scenario is if all leaders decide to close their eyes and ears and decide to take a life long nap.

Rise of the Malagasy
The Kingdom of Madagascar, situated in the Indian Ocean, embarked on a path of modernization and transformation during the 19th century, defying the colonial aspirations of European powers.

Under the visionary leadership of King Radama I, Madagascar initiated its path toward modernization, drawing inspiration from the United Kingdom. The abolition of the slave trade and the embrace of Western knowledge, facilitated by British delegations and missionaries, marked the beginning of Madagascar's transformation.

Upon King Radama 1st's passing in 1828, Queen Ranavalona 1st took the throne. Ranavalona 1st focused on modernization, infrastructure development, and national policy(1). Schools were established, the Malagasy language was Latinized, and the country opened itself to foreign influences, including Christianity.

Under Queen Ranavalona 1st and her successor, Queen Ranavalona 2nd, Madagascar underwent significant economic diversification. It transitioned from an agrarian to an industrial economy. The development of industries such as construction and textiles, coupled with the expansion of trade with global powers, propelled Madagascar onto the world stage.

To defend against Western encroachment, Madagascar invested in military strength, receiving support from Indian. This military prowess played a pivotal role in the successful resistance against French colonization attempts during the French-Malagasy war of 1895. India played a vital role in this war, dispatching its nearest Fleet, located in the Horn of Africa, to assist the Malagasy.

The outcome of the conflict, resulting in a French defeat, and armistice that preserved Madagascar's sovereignty, showed the kingdom's resilience and determination.

By the reign of Queen Ranavalona 3rd, Madagascar stood as a modernized, westernized, and powerful kingdom that had defied colonial rule and emerged victorious against European expansionism.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx

(1): IRL, she was an anti-Western fanatic that sabotaged any attempts to modernization. Here, she is more of a nationalist and pragmatic, and taking inspiration from India.

Mozambique War of 1898-1899
The Kingdom of Madagascar's rise as a significant global player in the early 20th century has not only altered the political landscape of Africa but has also drawn the attention of major powers worldwide. Madagascar's victory over France positioned it as a force to be reckoned with.

Following its triumph over France, Madagascar's industrial economy experienced rapid growth and diversification, with a focus on key sectors such as automobiles, railways, textiles, and naval development. This economic prowess, coupled with its formidable military capabilities, has propelled Madagascar onto the world stage as the first African naval power, challenging the dominance of traditional European powers.

The Mozambique War of 1898-1899 served as a testament to Madagascar's military strength and its commitment to safeguarding its sovereignty. Once again, India played a vital role here, offering naval support to the Malagasy and allowing them to annihilate the Portuguese Fleet sent to the region. The decisive victory over Portugal solidified Madagascar's control over Mozambique.

Queen Ranavalona III's adoption of Pan-Africanist ideals showed Madagascar's emergence as a regional leader. The establishment of the Republic of Mozambique and its subsequent development under Madagascar's guidance showed the kingdom's commitment to encouraging cooperation and progress across Africa.

As Madagascar navigates the complex web of international alliances and tensions in Europe, its strategic decisions will undoubtedly shape its future trajectory. Madagascar must weigh its options between the Entente and Central Powers. The kingdom's choices will determine its role in global geopolitics and will also define its legacy.

The Kingdom of Madagascar stands ready to assert its influence and shape the course of history in the 20th century.

Antananarivo Conference of 1912
The Antananarivo Conference of 1912 represents a significant development in the international relations of the time, especially when it came the African continent and Madagascar's role as an emerging African power. The conference brought together delegates from Europe and Africa to negotiate peace and trade privileges with Madagascar.

Madagascar, aware of the tensions between the Kingdom and Europe, took the initiative to find a diplomatic solution to the conflict. This act of diplomacy helped avert the threat of a new war, particularly against the French, which had sought revenge following its earlier humiliating defeat.

The conference, in a way, can be seen as a culmination of the Berlin Conference of 1885, which had primarily determined the fate of the African continent and resulted in the colonization of vast African territories by European powers. In contrast, the Antananarivo Conference recognizes the independence of four African countries, with Madagascar taking a leading role. This recognition allows Malagasy people to travel and trade with these newly independent African colonies, while Europeans are granted access to Madagascar.

The industrialization of Madagascar, combined with the emergence of Mozambique, positions Madagascar as a leading African power, surpassing South Africa, which recently became a British dominion with more autonomy. This shift in power dynamics has far-reaching implications for Africa.

However, the looming tensions in Europe, which are at their peak in the early 20th century, were a cause for concern, as they could spill over to affect the African continent...

Sino-Japanese War and Indian Involvement
The year 1894 marked a significant turning point in India's foreign policy and its emergence as a global player.

One of the most notable events of 1894 was India's decision to throw its support behind Japan during the Sino-Japanese War. Recognizing Japan as an emerging Asian power, India strategically aligned itself with Japan to challenge the weakened Qing Dynasty. Japan's resounding victory in the Sino-Japanese War signaled its ascendance as a regional powerhouse and began the decline of the once-mighty Qing.

India's support for Japan yielded substantial benefits. By staking its claim in China's sphere of influence, India gained unprecedented access to Chinese markets and affairs. Indian businesses, traders, and diplomats capitalized on this newfound influence, expanding their presence in China.

However, India's international engagement did not end with the Sino-Japanese War. Shortly thereafter, India found itself involved in the suppression of the Boxer Rebellion in China. India played a pivotal role in the multinational coalition assembled to quell the Boxer Rebellion. Participation in the Boxer Rebellion further solidified India's position on the global stage.

In essence, the events of 1894 marked a watershed moment in India's international engagement, highlighting its emergence as a significant player in global affairs and affirming its role as a key player in shaping the geopolitical dynamics of the era.

Indian Involvement in the Italo-Ethiopian War
The intervention of India in the conflict between Italy and Ethiopia in 1895 marked a pivotal moment in the course of the war. Italy's imperial ambitions in Ethiopia faced staunch resistance from Ethiopian forces, but it was India's decisive involvement that shifted the balance of power and ultimately led to Italy's defeat.

India's response to Italy's declaration of war on Ethiopia was swift and forceful. It issued an ultimatum demanding an immediate cessation of hostilities. When Italy chose to ignore the ultimatum, India deployed its naval forces to blockade the Red Sea, effectively cutting off supply routes to Italian forces in Eritrea. The ensuing Battle of the Red Sea saw Indian naval superiority win out, where it decisively defeated the Italian fleet.

With their supply lines disrupted and facing formidable opposition from Ethiopian and Indian forces, the Italian military in Eritrea found itself unable to sustain its offensive. The joint Indo-Ethiopian effort culminated in the pivotal Battle of Adwa, where Italy suffered a resounding defeat, leading to the surrender of its army.

The diplomatic aftermath of the conflict, mediated by the German Empire in the Treaty of Addis Ababa, brought significant concessions from Italy. While Italy retained control of Eritrea, it was forced to demilitarize the region until 1911. More importantly, Italy was forced to recognize the sovereignty of Ethiopia. Additionally, India's territorial claims in the region were affirmed.

India's intervention in the Italy-Ethiopia conflict not only safeguarded Ethiopian sovereignty but also secured its own interests. Furthermore, Germany's mediation, which favored India over Italy, signaled a further isolation of Italy from the Central Powers.

The Russo-Indian War
The Russo-Indian War, a significant conflict that erupted during the Russo-Japanese War, showed the deep-running tensions and rivalries between India and the Russian Empire. The war was primarily fueled by their competition for influence in key regions such as Afghanistan and Persia, which held strategic importance for both powers.

At the heart of the conflict was the contest for control over Afghanistan, with India concerned about Russian ambitions to use the country as a base for expansion into the Indian Subcontinent. Conversely, Russia harbored concerns about India's potential encroachment into Central Asia via Afghanistan. This rivalry extended to Persia, where both powers sought to advance their interests. This geopolitical rivalry, rife with espionage and intrigue, was called the "Great Game."

The Russo-Japanese War, culminating in Japan's victory over Russia at the Battle of Tsushima in 1905, marked a significant shift in the balance of power in Asia. This triumph by an Asian nation over a European power (other than India) galvanized sentiments of empowerment across the continent and inspired hope for challenging European dominance.

Against this backdrop, India's declaration of war on the Russian Empire during the Russo-Japanese War was motivated by its support for Japan and a desire to align with a fellow Asian nation against a European power.

The outcome of the Russo-Indian War had profound implications for the region. With India emerging victorious, the Kingdom of Afghanistan fell firmly under its sphere of influence. This victory reshaped the balance of power in the region, consolidating India's position as a dominant force in Asia.

Okay, everyone. Here we are. At the doorstep of WWI. I will be doing some planning for this, but if any of you have any ideas or suggestions for me, please include them! I will take them into consideration.
I think we are reaching the interesting parts. If I remember correctly, in your previous TL(I maybe wrong and it might be a different TL), I brought up the fact that British can't be as strong in this TL as in our original history. It's just not possible. Huge chunk of British empires wealth, manpower and raw resources came from India. By early 1900s, 70% of British empires population was British India. Now that's gone. Apart from dutch, who lost its Indochina, all other imperial powers are more or less intact. So in this time line, the original equation of British + french +Russians + others = Germans + Austria might not cut it. British in this TL will be vastly inferior to OTL British (inferior by about like missing 300millon of its people from a total population of 400 million) while the rest will more or less be at the same strength. And since indian confederation will join with their German allies, the pendulum swings too heavily in Germans side. Maybe the US can join early. If you keep the British as strong as the OTL, it introduce a bit of handwaving to this time line which may degrade the quality of it. Maybe you can explore knocking out the British early on,or reducing their involvement in to more naval and less infantry, or increase the French and Russian casualties to balance out. Without really sitting down and working out numbers, I'm at loss how to actually make WW1 pan out in a believable manner.

However, India's international engagement did not end with the Sino-Japanese War. Shortly thereafter, India found itself involved in the suppression of the Boxer Rebellion in China. India played a pivotal role in the multinational coalition assembled to quell the Boxer Rebellion. Participation in the Boxer Rebellion further solidified India's position on the global stage.
[insert Bengali language cover of the 55 Days at Peking song here]

I think we are reaching the interesting parts. If I remember correctly, in your previous TL(I maybe wrong and it might be a different TL), I brought up the fact that British can't be as strong in this TL as in our original history. It's just not possible. Huge chunk of British empires wealth, manpower and raw resources came from India. By early 1900s, 70% of British empires population was British India. Now that's gone. Apart from dutch, who lost its Indochina, all other imperial powers are more or less intact. So in this time line, the original equation of British + french +Russians + others = Germans + Austria might not cut it. British in this TL will be vastly inferior to OTL British (inferior by about like missing 300millon of its people from a total population of 400 million) while the rest will more or less be at the same strength. And since indian confederation will join with their German allies, the pendulum swings too heavily in Germans side. Maybe the US can join early. If you keep the British as strong as the OTL, it introduce a bit of handwaving to this time line which may degrade the quality of it. Maybe you can explore knocking out the British early on,or reducing their involvement in to more naval and less infantry, or increase the French and Russian casualties to balance out. Without really sitting down and working out numbers, I'm at loss how to actually make WW1 pan out in a believable manner.
Maybe make Russia more powerful I guess?

The Dutch just lost part of Sumatra, they didn't lose the entire East Indies (yet).

As for how to make this more believable... I think I have a solution to this. America will join the war earlier thanks to the Sinking of the Lusitania. Also, the Kingdom of Madagascar will end up joining the Entente and help the Entente on the African Front. Portugal will join early, in 1914 instead of 1916. Japan too will of course join the Entente.
Mighty stupid for Madagascar to join entente considering self preservation. So far away from all the allies and very very close to the the massive behemoth it is now betraying. But Madagascar ITTL even be a challenge? OTL Madagascar is around 29m people at the moment so around 3m to 5m people in 1900? Including the potential African holdings, 15m-20m?

US joining early will shift some weight towards Entente I agree.

By early 1900s, 70% of British empires population was British India. Now that's gone. Apart from dutch, who lost its Indochina, all other imperial powers are more or less intact.
The Dutch only lost part of Sumatra. Other than that, they have the rest of the East Indies.

So in this time line, the original equation of British + french +Russians + others = Germans + Austria might not cut it.
Yeah, it definitely will not cut it.

Maybe the US can join early.
Yeah, I was thinking this. I would have America join in after the Sinking of the Lusitania. Also, here I was planning to have a really major change from my original timeline. And it's that President William McKinley wasn't assassinated, and that Progressive movement never takes off. And that makes people go for the SPA (Socialist Party of America), under good ol' Eugene Debs. It's the same PoD as the timeline Reds! (which on its own is really well written I do recommend you read that sometime).

So far away from all the allies and very very close to the the massive behemoth it is now betraying.
Well, it is not far away from South Africa and Portuguese Angola. Furthermore, Madagascar has a massive navy (thanks to British help), and is better suited to fighting in Africa than either the Europeans or Indians. Thus, Madagascar will be better able to fight the Germans in the African colonies, and defeat Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck.

Maybe make Russia more powerful I guess?
Yeah, I was thinking of this as well. But how would you make them more powerful?

US joining early will shift some weight towards Entente I agree.
Also Portugal will join the war in 1914, from the start, instead of 1916 like IRL. Italy and Japan will also join of course. Also, having Greece and Romania in the Entente earlier will help as well. But getting Romania into the war earlier is a challenge. Perhaps Russian successes against Austria (due to it being stronger) encourages Romania to join sooner?
British in this TL will be vastly inferior to OTL British (inferior by about like missing 300millon of its people from a total population of 400 million)
Agreed. So they will make up for it by tapping a lot more manpower from their Dominions, especially as they remain unchanged.

@Gentian1707

if industrialisation is underway and if it is able to match atleast half of what European industrialisation level is, it is a giant they can't match. Imagine the size of armies it can produce considering how many the Germans and the British managed as a percentage of their populations.
So assume that the Indian Confederation is able to match the industrialization level of say Germany or Britain (which is reasonable especially as Indian industrialization started in the 1820s, earlier than even some other European powers). Just how many soldiers can it produce? Assume that India's population by the 1910s is like around ~500ish Million (not counting their sphere of influence).

@Gentian1707

Last edited:
Maybe wank their industrialization and weaken the opposition to the Tsar perhaps.
I will perhaps have a butterfly that Alexander II was more successful in his industrialization efforts, or that perhaps Tsar Nicholas II got slapped back to reality after losing simultaneously to Japan AND India.