Indian "Paternalist" Imperialism
India's expansionist and imperialist ideology is characterized by a sense of paternalism. Unlike the traditional racist ideologies prevalent in European imperialist ideology, India views its subject populations as "younger siblings" in need of guidance and protection, rather than inferior races to be subjugated. India considered itself as the "older brother" responsible for guiding and protecting its subject populations.

This paternalistic approach sees India assuming the role of an older brother or relative, responsible for the welfare and development of its subject peoples. While there may be genuine efforts to improve living standards and promote development, the extent to which these actions stem from altruism versus strategic considerations is subject to debate.

The Indian Confederation used sophisticated media campaigns and propaganda to instill loyalty and gratitude among its subject populations. These campaigns depict India as a benevolent protector and demonize other European powers, particularly the British, portraying them as brutal and oppressive. By highlighting examples of European brutality, India fostered a sense of fear and distrust towards foreign powers, further solidifying loyalty to the Confederation. The narrative propagated portrays India as a benevolent protector, promising continued support and protection as long as the subject populations refrained from "troublemaking" actions.

The subject populations of India's colonies are conditioned to see India as their benefactor and protector, and tended to exhibit strong loyalty and allegiance to their overseers. They are taught to be grateful for the assistance provided by India, and also to fear & hate the perceived brutality of other European powers. This loyalty and gratitude ensure that the subject populations remain compliant and passive, reducing resistance or rebellion against Indian rule.

It looks well, however some maps and infoboxes can make the timeline much more exicting to look at
I agree as well. The borders and world powers have shifted so much at this point.

@LeonardWood6 the butterflies of taking ceylon is not simple imo. The backbone of European colonialism in east Asia is thus broken. The only viable access route for European powers before coal powered ships was sailing by Ceylon using trade winds. This route can easily be interdicted by ships based in Trincomalee harbour, the original purpose of that harbour during the last few centuries. Without that route being available, there is no way for European powers to hold on to their colonial assets in east Asia. The only other viable route is to cross the Atlantic, go around South America, then cross the Pacific. And that is not profitable at all. Even if we assume that they originate from the south American holdings, it is still a ridiculously dangerous and costly journey. In this climate, the entire region simply become an Indian pond to do as it like.

Dutch-Mysore War of 1868
The Dutch-Mysore War of 1868 erupted due to escalating tensions between the Dutch Empire and the Indian Confederation, fueled by provocative actions. The spark was the sinking of an unarmed Indian merchant vessel by Dutch forces, which angered the Indian public and prompted a declaration of war against the Netherlands.

Mysore seized the initiative in the conflict with bold actions. They launched a surprise attack on a major Dutch port in the Dutch East Indies, catching the Dutch fleet off guard and resulting in significant losses for the Dutch. Exploiting their naval superiority, Mysorean forces swiftly followed up with a full-scale invasion of the island and an offensive on Sumatra, demonstrating their military prowess and determination to assert control over the region.

The Dutch Army's attempt to mount a counter-offensive on Sumatra ended disastrously, as they encountered a formidable coalition of Indian forces armed with advanced weaponry and supported by native Sumatrans. The Sumatrans, influenced by Indian propaganda demonizing Europeans, fought with unparalleled zeal and ferocity, contributing significantly to their eventual defeat.

The Treaty of Calcutta in 1870 brought an end to the hostilities, with Sumatra being ceded to the Indian Confederation. This outcome represented a severe humiliation for the Dutch, as their ambitions in the region were thwarted. The war showed the strength and unity of the Indian Confederation and dealt a significant blow to Dutch imperial aspirations.

Indian Reform Movements
During the 19th century, India witnessed reform movements which aimed at addressing social injustices and promoting equality. At the forefront of these movements was the Arya Samaj, led by Dayananda Saraswati, which sought to reform Hinduism and return it to its original Vedic roots. One of the central objectives of the Arya Samaj was the abolition of the caste system, which had long been a source of oppression and discrimination.

The efforts of the Arya Samaj gained significant momentum. Although India's meritocratic system of governance already began to de-facto render the caste system toothless and impractical. As the movement for caste abolition gained traction, it eventually reached the highest levels of government in the Indian Confederation. Consul Raja Ram Mohan Roy, recognizing the need for reform, officially abolished the caste system nationwide, despite facing backlash from orthodox Hindus.

In addition to caste abolition, Consul Roy implemented a series of progressive reforms aimed at promoting equality and justice for all citizens of the Indian Confederation. He introduced education reforms, expanded rights and protections, and amended the Indian Constitution to enshrine the principle of equality for all individuals, regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, religion, wealth, or other status. Notably, Roy also advocated for measures resembling affirmative action, although these proposals did not get implemented.

Despite facing opposition, Roy's reforms garnered widespread support and acclaim. When he stepped down, his approval ratings were around 90%. His legacy as one of the greatest reformers in Indian history was secured, and he became a symbol of progress and equality. Roy's influence extended far beyond India, inspiring movements for equal rights and social justice worldwide, including the African-American Civil Rights Movement.

1884 Anglo-Indian War
The 1870 Franco-Prussian War marked a significant turning point in India's history. India chose to align with the victorious German Empire. This alliance had far-reaching implications for India, particularly in terms of economic and military development. German businesses quickly established a presence in India, bringing with them expertise, investment, and industrial know-how.

The 1884 Anglo-Indian War, triggered by Bengal's expansion into British Burma and the subsequent war with the British, also proved vital to India's path. While it ultimately ended in a stalemate, it proved the need for India to reform and modernize its armed forces. In response, comprehensive reforms were implemented. This militarism showed a concerted effort to enhance defensive capabilities and assert Indian sovereignty. These reforms transformed India's military capabilities and positioned it as a formidable power in the region.

The close relationship with Germany played a pivotal role in shaping India. German advisors provided crucial assistance in military restructuring efforts. Furthermore, German industrial expertise also led to increased economic growth in India, with German companies establishing their presence in many sectors, ranging from manufacturing to infrastructure development.

The strategic alliance with Germany not only facilitated economic and military growth but also initiated a cultural exchange between the two nations. Indian elites sent their children to German universities for education, further strengthening.

The presence of German enterprises, such as Krupp, in India, coupled with the visionary Indian leaders, increased India's industrial and economic prowess. As a result, India ascended to become the fifth-largest economy globally, trailing only major powers like the British Empire, the United States, the French Empire, and the German Empire. Regions like Punjab and Bengal experienced unprecedented economic expansion.

India's alignment with Germany during this period was instrumental in shaping its trajectory.

The Berlin-Delhi Railway
Kaiser Wilhelm II had an ambitious plan: to connect India to Germany. In 1890, the Berlin-Delhi railway was started. It represented a monumental engineering endeavor that reshaped geopolitics in the late 19th century. Spanning thousands kilometers and traversing multiple nations, including Germany, Austria-Hungary, the Ottoman Empire, Iran, and India, the railway emerged as one of the longest rail line in the world at the time, rivaling the Trans-Continental Railroad and the Trans-Siberian Railroad.

Completed over the course of several years and inaugurated in 1896, the Berlin-Delhi railway stood as a testament to ingenuity and technological prowess. Its construction not only facilitated economic development, but also had profound geopolitical implications.

The completion of the Berlin-Delhi railway elicited concern and paranoia among rival powers, especially the Russian Empire, Britain, and France.

Russia especially viewed the railway with extreme fear and paranoia, seeing the potential to box them in and limit their connection with the outside world. Indeed, Kaiser Wilhelm II had built the railway for precisely that reason. For Britain, the railway encroached on their Persian interests, although it wasn't as threatening for them as it was for Russia. France wasn't threatened in any way by it, but they resented Germany's economic boom resulting from the finishing of the railway.

Additional miles of rail lines were added by Germany, Austria-Hungary, the Ottoman Empire, Iran, and India later on.

Overall, the Berlin-Delhi railway represented a major geopolitical chess move by Germany to assert their dominance, contain their rivals, and tip the balance of power.

Screenshot 2024-04-12 10.30.33.png

This is the map of the Indian Confederation.

@Gentian1707 , I will cover your points you mentioned here:

I agree as well. The borders and world powers have shifted so much at this point.

@LeonardWood6 the butterflies of taking ceylon is not simple imo. The backbone of European colonialism in east Asia is thus broken. The only viable access route for European powers before coal powered ships was sailing by Ceylon using trade winds. This route can easily be interdicted by ships based in Trincomalee harbour, the original purpose of that harbour during the last few centuries. Without that route being available, there is no way for European powers to hold on to their colonial assets in east Asia. The only other viable route is to cross the Atlantic, go around South America, then cross the Pacific. And that is not profitable at all. Even if we assume that they originate from the south American holdings, it is still a ridiculously dangerous and costly journey. In this climate, the entire region simply become an Indian pond to do as it like.
I will cover it in a future chapter.

The Indian Ocean, an Indian Pond
The emergence of the Indian Confederation as a Great Power in the early 20th century was due to various factors. While factors like access to natural resources, industrial capabilities, population size, governmental structure, strong leadership, and ties to foreign powers played significant roles, one often overlooked factor proved to be vital: the acquisition of Ceylon.

Ceylon held a crucial position in the Indian Ocean, strategically located at the crossroads of major maritime routes. Prior to coal-powered ships, maritime trade heavily relied on wind patterns, with ships often sailing past Ceylon to harness favorable trade winds. This route, however, was vulnerable to disruption, as a polity that controlled Trincomalee Harbor could effectively interdict trade routes.

While the Indian Confederation did not initially exploit this strategic advantage for expansionist purposes, being more focused on internal development and industrialization, the mere presence of Ceylon in its sphere of influence served as a potent geopolitical tool, a deadly knife in their arsenal. European powers were acutely aware of the vulnerability posed by the Indian Confederation's control over Ceylon. It was akin to a knife being held to their throats. Even without active exploitation for expansionist ambitions, the threat of disruption to maritime trade forced European powers into a less favorable position. One they did not find much comfort being in.

The Indian Confederation also wasn't blind to the (metaphorical) gold mine sitting in their backyard, and they did use their advantageous position by charging quite hefty fees for European ships to utilize Ceylonese harbors as resting & refueling points. Trincolamee harbor was especially expensive, as it was the most widely used and also most vital harbor. This gave India yet another revenue stream (which it used to further industrialize itself), and it also simultaneously imposed additional costs on European powers, further complicating their efforts to maintain dominance in the region.

Acquisition of territories like Oman, Yemen (especially the port city of Aden), the Bab-el-Mandeb Strait, the Maldives, the Andaman & Nicobar Islands, a portion of the island of Sumatra, the Malay Peninsula, along with control over the vital Strait of Malacca, as well as the Horn of Africa, further solidified India's position as the dominant power in the region. Furthermore, India wasn't simply an expansionist power either. They established friendly relations with the Kingdom of Abyssinia/Ethiopia, Kingdom of Madagascar, and the Kingdom of Siam, further expanding their dominance by gaining potential future allies.

The Indian Confederation's decisive victory over the Dutch in Sumatra would be the start of a series of short but important wars against European powers, like Italy, France, Russia (though Russia didn't have any role in the Indian Ocean), and Portugal, reinforced its dominance and sent a clear message to European powers: toe the line or suffer the consequences. These victories effectively established the Indian Ocean as an "Indian pond," where Indian interests were supreme and all others had to acquiesce to Indian wants.

Even with the creation of coal-powered ships, the advantage of controlling key maritime routes still remained significant. European powers were forced to adapt, transforming their colonies into more self-sufficient polities capable of withstanding potential disruptions to maritime trade that the Indian Confederation could do.

Ironically, this emphasis on self-sufficiency inadvertently fueled aspirations for independence among European colonies, as many questioned the need to remain under European control, especially when they already seemed capable of sustaining themselves, for the most part.

Overall, the acquisition of Ceylon and expansion of Indian influence in the Indian Ocean region played a vital role in India's ascent to Great Power status.

@Gentian1707 , you had spoke about Ceylon and the significance of it. I have made a chapter talking about that. I hope this helps!
Yes it's great! I would have used Ceylon to completely hamstring the colonial powers and move on to finish the weakened colonies and absorb them. But I guess I'm more expansionist that way lol. But your way is better for the TL. this doesn't completely ruin the western colonial period though weaken them considerably, keeping the TL relevant and not completely unrecognisable. Good job there. I researched for a very long time as a Sri Lankan on why we were kept getting fkd by great powers without a break for centuries. All the noise about oh it's for resources etc etc felt ridiculous as there are other places that has everything Sri Lanka has but in larger quantities. Then watching a documentary on tea trade during sailing ships finally provided the reason though it wasn't mentioned in it. Its all about control of seaborn trade between east and west.You can always impose a tax on them lol.

Overall, good progress with all chapters and I'm very happy with them. Loved the map as well. Looking at the map, I have a feeling that it is only a matter of time until Burma becomes a part of indian confederation.

India now has 100% controls over east - west trade. It will be interesting to see how that pans out.

About alignment with Germany in 1870s, if India must align with a European power, Germany is that power. None of the current confederation interests conflicts with theirs while they are in need of allies during a time they need to be recognised as a power by the old empires that surrounds it. The railway, while being quite vulnerable, could be very profitable for all that it connects, thus ensure its safety. Just like the gas pipeline that runs from Russia, through Ukrain, to Europe. Despite the war, it remains operational as it benifits all who are concerned. This rail could also help supply Germany with resources it's industrial machine lacks. Rubber for example. However, I can't think of any region including Ceylon and Burma, who has any commercial rubber plantations as it was introduced by the British in the 1870s. Maybe India can introduce it. Ceylon has perfect soil and climate (I grew up surrounded by rubber trees in our land in Sri Lanka) for rubber.

Good job in fixing the caste issue. That's something that kept India down for a very long time. I see it's ugly head raising here and there even to this date, like my former two tenants refusing to sit and eat at the same table. It's about time. This will be a huge boost to Indian confederations HDI.

To completely seal the indian ocean, I'd suggest a bit more expansions by taking Madagascar and also building some naval bases in Diego Garcia and Kerguelen Island. Or the confederation can stop guarding the door and take the actual price of south east Asia lol. There's nothing there that can hold a candle to what TTL indian confederation is. But then the question will be for what? TTL indian confederation has the population, land, resources to be the most powerful super state as it is. Maybe above can be a temp thing during a world war perhaps.

I would have used Ceylon to completely hamstring the colonial powers and move on to finish the weakened colonies and absorb them. But I guess I'm more expansionist that way lol. But your way is better for the TL. this doesn't completely ruin the western colonial period though weaken them considerably, keeping the TL relevant and not completely unrecognisable. Good job there.
I ended up deciding to keep the Europeans' colonies around rather than to completely hamstring them because that way, it's still in the realm of being familiar. As in, it's still relatively closer to IRL, though with some differences. IDK, it's just my preference, but I tend to try to keep things to be as close as can be to real life, as it's what I'm more comfortable with. Nothing wrong with what you wanted, it's just merely a matter of personal preferences.

I researched for a very long time as a Sri Lankan on why we were kept getting fkd by great powers without a break for centuries. All the noise about oh it's for resources etc etc felt ridiculous as there are other places that has everything Sri Lanka has but in larger quantities. Then watching a documentary on tea trade during sailing ships finally provided the reason though it wasn't mentioned in it. Its all about control of seaborn trade between east and west.You can always impose a tax on them lol.
Yeah, I'd learned in my AP World History class in High School about the Indian Ocean Trade. So I went back to my good ol' AP World History textbook and read it again, and found out you're right. Ceylon was a major part of the East-West trade.

Overall, good progress with all chapters and I'm very happy with them. Loved the map as well.
Thanks! :)

Looking at the map, I have a feeling that it is only a matter of time until Burma becomes a part of indian confederation.
Right now, the British have control of Burma, as part of their "Constriction" Plan, to surround India with either colonies or allies, and make India have to fight any future war with them on multiple fronts, stretching them thin.

India now has 100% controls over east - west trade. It will be interesting to see how that pans out.
India is making a massive amount of profit here. I did say this in a previous post, but cities like Surat, Goa, and the Gujarat Coast are known as the "Antwerp of the East". India does also charge European powers a hefty fee to use Ceylonese Harbors as resting and refueling stations, so that's definitely a lot of money earned. India is using that money to industrialize and modernize itself.

About alignment with Germany in 1870s, if India must align with a European power, Germany is that power.
Yeah, I figured. India can never be friends with the British (for obvious reasons). It has problems with Russia (due to y'know, the Great Game and a battle for influence over Afghanistan). It also has problems with the French (y'know, 'cause they got Indochina and all, and also, (I'll cover this in a later post), France will be going after one of India's friends (Madagascar). So there is that. Similar reasons with Portugal and Italy as well.

None of the current confederation interests conflicts with theirs while they are in need of allies during a time they need to be recognised as a power by the old empires that surrounds it.
Yeah, they can only benefit by being friends with each other. Kaiser Wilhelm II and Maharaja Ranjit Singh II are in particular really good friends, something that I will cover potentially in a future chapter, which will be about the "special relationship" between the German Empire and the Indian Confederation.

The railway, while being quite vulnerable, could be very profitable for all that it connects, thus ensure its safety. Just like the gas pipeline that runs from Russia, through Ukraine, to Europe. Despite the war, it remains operational as it benifits all who are concerned.
Yeah, I wasn't entirely sure if such a railway akin to the Berlin-Delhi railway would even be a realistic action, not in that it's possibility but in that whether they would even want to have such a railway. Ultimately, I decided in the affirmative. Like, this is the perfect way for Germany to expand its influence (and also Box in Russia). It's kind of like the OTL Berlin-Baghdad Railway, only of course a LOT longer.

This rail could also help supply Germany with resources it's industrial machine lacks. Rubber for example. However, I can't think of any region including Ceylon and Burma, who has any commercial rubber plantations as it was introduced by the British in the 1870s. Maybe India can introduce it. Ceylon has perfect soil and climate (I grew up surrounded by rubber trees in our land in Sri Lanka) for rubber.
I'm thinking of Ceylon as having commercial rubber plantations, only here of course India will introduce it. I was also thinking of having Indian Malaysia and Sumatra having those Rubber plantations.

Good job in fixing the caste issue. That's something that kept India down for a very long time. I see it's ugly head raising here and there even to this date, like my former two tenants refusing to sit and eat at the same table. It's about time.
Damn, that bad? I knew that it was quite ugly, but I didn't know it was as bad as your 2 former tenants not even wanting to eat and sit at the same table. Damn, that's... bad, to say the least. I didn't really cover the caste system in my first TL Just in Time, and I sought to fix that here. And I did know a little bit about Dayananda Saraswati and the Arya Samaj Movement, as well as Raja Ram Mohan Roy. There are some differences here ofc. Here, in this TL, at the young age of 21, Dayanada Saraswati founds the Arya Samaj. IRL, he founded it a LOT later. Also Raja Ram Mohan Roy IRL worked with the Brits to abolish Sati and do reforms. Here, he's Consul of India, so he does a lot more comprehensive reforms.

This will be a huge boost to Indian confederations HDI.
How so? I'm just curious.

To completely seal the indian ocean, I'd suggest a bit more expansions by taking Madagascar and also building some naval bases in Diego Garcia and Kerguelen Island.
I'm planning on having an Independent Madagascar here just like my previous TL. So there's that.

Or the confederation can stop guarding the door and take the actual price of south east Asia lol.
As tempting as that is, I want the European imperialists to suffer the loss of their colonies. And also want their egos to be shattered as they get crushed by India, a supposedly "inferior" nation.

There's nothing there that can hold a candle to what TTL indian confederation is. But then the question will be for what? TTL indian confederation has the population, land, resources to be the most powerful super state as it is.
Really? Is the Indian Confederation really that powerful?

Also I was thinking of India creating innovative military tactics and strategies. What do you think about that?

@Gentian1707