The thing I find so frustrating about Dean is that in context, the "scream" didn't sound odd or unhinged or even much like a scream at all. The media just played the clip incessantly, and just as repeating a word to yourself over and over makes it lose all meaning, the "scream" eventually started to sound odd. They kneecapped the more progressive candidate in that primary over nothing.
Don't even get me started on that. You ask me Jeb Bush's "Please clap" moment was way worse than Howard Dean yelling once in a way that seemed a little unhinged and somehow rendered him unelectable. If anything him yelling showed his passion and enthusiasm and energy.

Don't even get me started on that. You ask me Jeb Bush's "Please clap" moment was way worse than Howard Dean yelling once in a way that seemed a little unhinged and somehow rendered him unelectable. If anything him yelling showed his passion and enthusiasm and energy.
I like the “Please Clap” moment, and from what I saw and heard and read, the guy tried to make a joke… which was as good as my jokes which means that it is bad. Real bad, in fact!

I like the “Please Clap” moment, and from what I saw and heard and read, the guy tried to make a joke… which was as good as my jokes which means that it is bad. Real bad, in fact!
It just came off awkward and honestly reminded me of Eeyore🤣
okay so the thing was that earlier in the speech people kept clapping when he was trying to talk so he had to be like "please let me finish before you clap" and the "please clap" was meant to be a "Alright NOW you can clap" thing

Deleted member 145219

What most people forget, or don't know, was that Dean's campaign was pretty much over before the "Scream." It had peaked way too early and had been losing altitude since roughly the late summer of 2003. His endorsement from Al Gore wasn't helpful. Then him and Gephardt piled on each other. And the Democratic establishment rallied behind John Kerry, fearing a McGovern esque lose with a Dean nomination, or a President Dean really shaking up the party and putting them out to pasture.

What most people forget, or don't know, was that Dean's campaign was pretty much over before the "Scream." It had peaked way too early and had been losing altitude since roughly the late summer of 2003. His endorsement from Al Gore wasn't helpful. Then him and Gephardt piled on each other. And the Democratic establishment rallied behind John Kerry, fearing a McGovern esque lose with a Dean nomination, or a President Dean really shaking up the party and putting them out to pasture.
I guess to keep him in the running then you need to both keep him competitive with the general public (ie avoiding random scandals like the scream) and you need to perhaps kneecap the Kerry campaign.

Deleted member 145219

I guess to keep him in the running then you need to both keep him competitive with the general public (ie avoiding random scandals like the scream) and you need to perhaps kneecap the Kerry campaign.
Maybe have the Democrats win the 2002 Midterms, instead of losing them, that puts Gephardt in the Speakership. And Democrats don't overreact to the "patriotism," of the early 2000's. Maybe something on the Iraq War front blows up? There was some opposition in the GOP towards the Iraq War, including the number two House Republican, that was kept private and tamped down into submission.

Last edited by a moderator: