Would Hitler try to gain power in A-H or will he still try to do so in Germany? And assuming he gets to where he is will Germans in A-H support him? What kind of impact will he have there among the non-Germans?

Also I don't think A-H is going to survive WWII.

Last edited:
Interesting idea that could work for following reasons:
France wants an ally east of Germany that it can rely on. Russia is out because the revolution happened, Poland is good but not enough on its own, and OTL the idea of creating an anti-german alliance of small states was about as successfull as you can expect. Now a surviving Austria-Hungary is a good potential ally for France. Its also the best guarantee against the Anscluss. Austria betraying/abandoning Germany could also poison relations beween the two - so the germans will be blaming the austrians instead of the jews which has a whole lot of other side benefits.

So if France warms to the idea I can see a relatively lenient peace with Austria, especially the military sanctions could be handwawed pretty early maybe pointing at the Soviet threat. I also see France demanding in the peace the federalization of Austria to weaken its german element further. If things play out well we could see France investing to help stabilize / revitalize the Empire in the interwar period.

Question: What would be the situation with Romania? OTL they reentered the war in practically the last minute, when Austria was already falling apart. Even if they did so ITTL as well think the promises given to them can be said to be void because they peaced out earlier. Austria also might have signed the armistice before romanian reentry to the conflict. In this case would they get any reparations at all? Territory wise they seems to have gotten Bessarabia and part of Bukovina.

France already has viable allies in the region - Serbia, who has had an immense amount of favourable press portraying it as the equivalent of Belgium as a martyred nation and Romania, which is likewise viewed as standing up to German militarism in the popular imagination, fighting a war far beyond its mean for high honour etc etc. The French are likely to be highly suspicious of Austria for the simple fact that it is naturally inclined towards Germany and that during the war it effectively subjected itself voluntarily to German control. Therefore they will likely seek allies to contain the German powers, and ensure that they are adequately compensated.
So, I am certain that whatever armistice Austria signs, that will not save them from losing Istria, Fiume, much of Dalmatia, the Banat, Bosnia and parts of Transylvania - those are simply the minimum that can be expected to punish the instigator of the war, whose dynasty is still intact and a threat which binds Italy and Serbia together rather than setting them at loggerheads - with this early armistice, perhaps it would enter effect before the Romanians can re-enter the war, but we can still expect them to receive most if not all regions with a Romanian majority at the Paris Peace Conference - at best these would be confined to the southern and eastern portions of Transylvania proper and the Banat, I cannot see how they can be limited beyond that within the scope of this POD.

Austria betraying/abandoning Germany could also poison relations beween the two - so the germans will be blaming the austrians instead of the jews which has a whole lot of other side benefits.
So ITTL it would be "Treulose Kolatschen" analogous to OTL's "Treulose Tomaten".