Sir John Valentine Carden Survives. Part 2.

I suspect once it's discovered that the British have BVs, the Americans will want them too. After all, who doesn't want a hot beverage of their choice while on the move (comparatively speaking)?
Lol I think they would prefer an ice cream machine over a BV. particularly in the Med and out East. Though that might be a bit difficult to fit in a tank.

Lol I think they would prefer an ice cream machine over a BV. particularly in the Med and out East. Though that might be a bit difficult to fit in a tank.
It does show priorities that in the Pacific US forces had ice cream barges while the Commonwealth had a brewery ship 🍺🍦

In Normandy my Grandfather wasn't entirely sure what to make of the fact that the US Navy had a ship offshore that produced ice cream.
However, according to family lore he was too busy trying to scrounge up paper for the 2nd Army newsletters that he helped to write, plus he had to find Calvados for HQ when a certain Former Naval Person visited.

If anything there's an argument that no matter how well Carden did, the British still have the major bottlenecks of skilled crews, maintenance personnel and infrastructure, spare parts and build quality due to the need to churn out much more tanks and make more armoured formations than the War Office ever anticipated. Plus the inept force structure of Armoured Divisions until August 1942. The greater mechanical reliability and individual performance of the Valiant relative to OTL only partially mitigates these factors (for example by increasing the time interval where the tank can be used until it needs maintenance/overhauls).

Skilled crews are enabled by increased survivability which means unskilled crews have a chance to become skilled crews and skilled crews have a chance to join the training pipeline while the training pipeline needs to push out fewer crews per week so that means either more time training or a re-allocation of resources to other bottlenecks. Will increased survivability solve all problems --- hell no, but it is an incremental improvement.

Coulsdon Eagle

Monthly Donor
Just have a loudspeaker playing a tingling version of Greensleeves and you'll rack up the customers in no time!

"What's that..? No, we don't accept Reichmarks, Herr Oberst.. "

Actually, they encounter 50mm armed Panzer IIIs in North Africa.
In OTL, the first few 5.0cm L/42 PzKpfW III were fielded in France. The ATL 1940 fighting, going on longer, would have seen that changeover substantially during that period rather than later.

It's not what was chosen here, but a charitable read of OTL history might have concluded that after the intelligence about the forthcoming British six pounder production changeover, Mr. H's directive that the 5.0cm L/60 be the next tank/AT gun would have been implemented instead of being undercut by the military beancounters who deemed the L/42 adequate and much cheaper to build; and L/42 production would have been cut short as soon as the longer rifling lathes were ready.

Ramp-Rat

Monthly Donor

I personally doubt that the British will deploy a BV, during the ongoing conflict ITTL, as it was a post war deployment IOTL. On the question of whether the commonwealth troops in the Middle and Far East, preferring an ice-cream maker over a boiling vessel. Given that the majority of commonwealth troops were notorious for brewing up at the drop of a hat, even in the heat of the desert, and drinking hot tea irrespective of the climate. I personally believe that the majority would much rather have a nice mug of tea in the majority of situations over a bowl of ice-cream, especially as this generation had been brought up on tea, and would have only seen pop, fizzy drinks and ice-cream when on a sea-side trip.

RR.

I personally doubt that the British will deploy a BV, during the ongoing conflict ITTL, as it was a post war deployment IOTL. On the question of whether the commonwealth troops in the Middle and Far East, preferring an ice-cream maker over a boiling vessel. Given that the majority of commonwealth troops were notorious for brewing up at the drop of a hat, even in the heat of the desert, and drinking hot tea irrespective of the climate. I personally believe that the majority would much rather have a nice mug of tea in the majority of situations over a bowl of ice-cream, especially as this generation had been brought up on tea, and would have only seen pop, fizzy drinks and ice-cream when on a sea-side trip.

RR.
Was mainly joking that the Americans would rather have an ice cream machine over a BV.

RR.
I could see some industrious mechanic wiring one up in his tracked recovery vehicle. He does it to keep dry while out fixing/recovering one of the many training tanks etc during crappy weather. It would be a hot plate or electric kettle.

As much as we joke about a kettle, it’s actually an extremely useful thing to have on a battlefield . Access to hot water goes far beyond mere cups of tea and shaving. It means being able to clean up and being able to sterilise any stagnant water you find anywhere. The second other nationalities find out British forces have these in their tanks they ask themselves “Why the hell didn’t we think of that!”.
It and a porta loo built into the loaders seat came about after analysis of tank crew casualties found that the majority were wounded and killed outside of the tank often while doing things like cooking, cleaning and having a shit etc

So this coupled with the need to remain buttoned up due to preparing to fight in an NBCD environment during the cold war drove the requirement