Rebuilding After Big Brother: A 1984 Story

Staff Of Life
Readers note: I apologize if my depiction of how training new cooks at a restaurant works doesn't reflect what actually happens. I've never worked in the kitchen of a restaurant.

The Farmer's Table kitchen, Birmingham

Edmund Cork frantically looked at the cookbook on the table before turning his head to the dish in front of him. The sausages looked well cooked, the mashed potatoes fluffy and buttery, and the peas were nearly spotless. Still, he'd made a good looking Bangers and Mash only to find out he'd undercooked something and ruined the dish.

His supervisor, Jonas, was staring at the dish.

"Looks good enough to me." Edmund started to sweat.

"Only one way to tell." Jonas picked up a fork and knife then cut into one of the sausages. There were one or two pink spots but they were pretty small. He lifted a piece of sausage into his mouth and began chewing.

"Well," Edmund asked. Jonas swallowed and gave the thumbs up.

"I think you got it." Edmund smiled.

"Thanks."

"But that was an easy one," Jonas told his trainee. "You haven't done Beef Wellington yet, have you?" Edmund shook his head.

"Ah. That one's going to be very involved."

"I...I won't let that scare me."

'You don't need to be afraid of a dish, bud. You just need to get used to it."

Edmund was a new hire and was still getting the hang of cooking the dishes on the menu of the "Farmer's Table." It was a pub opened up by former Outer Party members who had some talent at cooking in 2007 and had been doing well over the past seven years. It wasn't just the expression of their mutual interest in cooking, it was a step towards reviving English cuisine. The food of the average Oceanian was very basic. Even the Inner Party didn't have much access to luxurious foods as part of the effort to make sure they didn't get too used to luxury. Any Inner Party member who dined on things like prime beef, pheasant or the like more than a few times a year would have been removed as a potential threat to the discipline of the Inner Party as a whole.

It still stunned Jonas how the kind of food taken for granted by so much of the world was considered high class simply because of how the Party controlled the palate of Oceania's people. Oceanian cuisine, a term that still made him smirk, was incredibly spartan. With the exception of what the Inner Party had access to, food was nothing more than a means of prolonging a worker's energy. It was fuel and trying to make it anything more meant being denounced as a Thought Criminal.

Food nourished not just the body, but the soul. And if British cuisine could be revived, a bit more of Britain's soul would be restored as well.

Conversations With A Demon
Interrogation Room, United Nations Detention Unit, The Hague

Ellen looked up from her papers as the guards brought in an old man wearing prison garb. The man's face was completely unreadable but she still caught it. That flicker of contempt that she'd seen so many times in so many other interviewees. However, there was something else too. He seemed to be looking right through her even as he was sat at the table across from her. She was nothing to him, this man who responsible for the torture and murder who knew how many people.

In spite of his age, O'Brien radiated danger born not from his psychical strength, but his utter indifference to human life.

"Mister O'Brien, I'm Ellen Zhou. New York Times." She held out her hand, which O'Brien just stared at.

"I'm told you had questions," he said flatly. Ellen silently bristled.

"Yes. We're doing a collection of interviews of former Inner Party members for a special issue. The public finds you and your fellows to be...intriguing."

"Oh?"

"They've heard about what the Party was up to for almost a decade but it's the first time we've gotten the chance to hear straight from you and your colleagues. You're a very tight lipped bunch. Said nothing to the press when the trials were going on."

"Our legal teams advised against saying too much. That and we had no desire to speak to you anyway. We are aware of our reputation and even whilst on trial, we savored it. We must've seemed like such monsters when the trials were being covered."

"That's putting it nicely. What changed with you though? Almost every request for an interview with an Inner Party member was rejected by the member in question even after the sentences were given. We've gotten no firsthand testimony from any of you that wasn't broadcast during the trials."

"I see no difference in what may happen should I accept or decline your request. I need something to break up the monotony too."

"So you're doing this because you're bored?"

"In a matter of speaking, yes."

A guard came in with two cups of coffee and set them down on the table. Ellen turned on her phone's recording function.

"Where do you wish to start?" O'Brien asked.

"A lot of the psychologists who examined Inner Party members said that they believed themselves to have made the perfect dictatorship."

"Obviously we didn't otherwise I wouldn't be here." O'Brien replied.

"Yes, that's true."

"But they are correct. Your psychologists. Mistakes can be the greatest teachers one has and we looked to the mistakes of past regimes to learn what to avoid. And what we found was that the ruling class let themselves grow fat off their wealth. It took Meer years for some, decades and even centuries for others. But it always happened. They separated themselves from those they ruled over and wallowed in hedonism while the masses grew more and more discontented. We were students of history because we couldn't have ruled for so long if we didn't."

O'Brien sneered.

"It shouldn't have taken so long for someone to figure out the common denominator in why such governments fell. The opulent obliviousness the French aristocracy basked was a trap that had caught them years before the first shot of the revolution was fired. It was the same for the Tsars of Russia, the emperors of China, so many. Even the Soviet leadership, with all their talk of rejecting the trappings of royalty, met and lived in a palace. They lost focus. They expected the rest of the populace to live in austerity while they let opulence lower their guard."

"And the Inner Party had no intention of letting that happen to them?"

"Not for a moment. We knew that we would have to live by a similar shortage regime as the rest of the population. It is as I told a prisoner I once interrogated, the stronger the Party becomes the more subtle its power is. Our power is hidden yet all encompassing. We had no reason to distract ourselves with pleasure and we couldn't allow it. We couldn't allow ourselves to become overly indulgent because it would lead to indiscipline. No overly luxurious homes, no gourmet foods, no extravagant liquors, no harems of Proles or Outer Party members."

"But there were those who stuck their snouts a bit too deeply into the trough, weren't there."

"Regrettably. I remember one man I punished a few months before the invasion. He'd have Outer Party women brought off the street and to his home where he'd fuck them day and night. Have them serving as his maids. He was half dead when he left my custody. I was so angry at him, so disappointed."

"I'm guessing the women themselves were inconsequential," Ellen said.

"Indeed. He acquired too much a taste for pleasure. Men like him were a contagion, Miss Zhou. He could've gotten other Inner Party members into the habit. He could have been the cause for a lapse in discipline. The Inner Party was to be Oceania's brain and this man was the equivalent of syphilis. He wouldn't have caused harm immediately but left untreated..."

"He could've caused brain damage."

"Exactly. He needed to be 'treated' immediately, lest he infect other Inner Party members."

"Are you saying you never 'played around' with the women working for you?"

"I could not risk it becoming a habit. You see, Miss Zhou, by holding ourselves to such standards we made sure we never dropped our guard, never neglected our duties. We were stronger than any who came before us because we were willing to live under such conditions, subject ourselves to deprivation of the pleasures so many believe are the right of the powerful. We looked to history and knew what such idle hedonism would bring us."

"And did this view grow stronger when the Soviets fell?"

"How could it not? The Soviet leadership simply wallowed in the power their positions gave them but were utterly blind to the fact that their dominion was rotting away a little more every day. They had made the same mistakes as their predecessors did, growing fat off the bounty of their empire while paying no attention to what was eating away at its foundation. They have no one to blame but themselves for their collapse." O'Brien grew terse.

"It shouldn't have taken a nuclear disaster for them to wake up to what was happening. Our equipment detected the radiation given off by the Chernobyl explosion. We heard of what had happened and considered what may happen should a worst case scenario become reality." The former Inner Party member grit his teeth.

"Their ignorance would have been the death of the entire continent."

"I guess you could say that in this case, ignorance wasn't strength?"

"Yes. Yes, you could."

So did any members of the thought police or the oceanian military escape the invasion? Do any of them work abroad as military or intelligence advisers?

Have any organized criminal groups tried to expand into the former Oceania?

Camden Town, London

Blair Graham watched her son Mark walk off to the park to meet with his friends. He was starting to get to that age where he wanted as little to do with his parents as possible. Though it hurt, she didn't take it personally.

But wasn't what hurt the most.

He thought she was stupid.

Her own son looked at her like she was an idiot. Ever since Mark became old enough to begin understanding the system his mother lived under, ever since he knew what came before the liberation, he looked at her like she was a complete moron. How could she believe all the things she did when she was younger? How could she live so long barely having any life of her own?

How could she believe that war was peace, freedom was slavery, and ignorance was strength?

Mark gave her the most disdainful look whenever she accidentally slipped into Newspeak while talking to him, asking her what in hell she was trying to say before asking if she knew how ridiculous she sounded. More than once, she had to keep herself from breaking into tears until he was out of earshot.

It caused her so much pain to admit that she saw herself much the same way. She was a newly minted Outer Party member when the liberation occurred, working in Miniplenty. She remembered seeing the men in parachutes landing in the street and engaging soldiers in firefights. She remembered the air strikes. She remembered seeing officers of the Thought Police being taken away in handcuffs while medical posts were set up for the prisoners at the Ministry of Love.

Most of all, Blair remembered how she felt once it all became clear, when the truth came out.

None of it was real. Big Brother. Eurasia. Eastasia. The war. All of it. For fifty years, Britain was ruled by a police state unlike any other who kept the populace in line by concocting epic narratives about a struggle between good and evil. Oceania was supposed to be multi-continental superstate participating in massive battles with its enemies across the world, its shores protected by floating fortresses.

But it was just a single island bordering Europe. And while Oceania was frozen in time, so much had passed in the rest of the world. What Blair understood to be the inspiration for Eurasia, the Soviet Union, had fallen. An amazing new method of communication had been in the past few decades. Technology had developed at a breakneck pace. Rockets had gone into space, humanity had set foot on the moon.

The world had passed Oceania by.

She felt like her entire life up to that point was for nothing. Still, she felt so fortunate that her son was born after Oceania collapsed. Mark never heard the Party's slogans, never aspired to join its ranks. Though she could tell he held some contempt for what she used to believe, the idea of turning her over to the authorities was unthinkable to him. He grew up in a much freer world, one that was so much more colorful.

The way Mark looked at her sometimes caused her a great deal of pain. But Blair actually drew a great deal of hope from his attitude.

He wanted to be nothing like who she was when she was young. And she felt that to be a very respectable goal.
This whole story is criminally underrated.

The Fens, East Midlands

Doctor Ibanez slowly strolled through the ward on the way to his workspace. Large human-shaped bags were lying on over fifteen slabs while medical staff in protective gear looked over them. The bags reeked of bog water and mud as well as decaying meat. An orderly, Johannes, came in through the double doors, another body strapped onto a slab that was wheeled inside.

"How many are still in that pit?" Ibanez asked.

"Twenty," Johannes replied. "Biohazard team is tryin' to wrench the rest of em free."

Ibanez gagged. He didn't want to picture what that implied. What was in those bags was already stomach churning to look at. Forcing down his nausea, he unzipped the body bag and found himself looking at a somewhat well preserved cadaver. A male guessing by the facial features. They'd need a tooth or two to find out exactly how old he was. The ragged jumpsuit he wore was a faded blue, identifying the victim as Outer Party.

The Fens were used as an execution ground by the Thought Police operating in Leicester. Their crematoria often broke down and so they drove their victims to the marshes before killing them. So far, every body seemed to have the same injury that gave away the cause of death, a bullet wound in the back of the head. Autopsies revealed that the bullets were fired from a pistol at close range. And just like with the other corpses, the one Ibanez was looking over had a hole in the back of the head.

Finding out exactly who this was would be a much bigger mystery. The records of the Thought Police were thorough but every other record of the people being looked over by the forensic team would've been wiped. Anyone who knew them would've been forbidden to speak of them lest they commit Crimethink. Even if their associates were still alive, finding anyone who could identify the bodies was going to be incredibly difficult.

There were forensics labs all over Britain doing the same gruesome, heart wrenching work. At least in Cambodia, where his favorite professor once worked helping identify victims of the genocide, there were more than just the Khmer Rouge's own execution records to go off of. People still remembered and talked about murdered loved ones. They didn't perform the kind of mental gymnastics that let them forget the fact they ever knew someone snatched by the Thought Police.

Vaporized. That was the word used to describe those who'd been disappeared. There'd be no evidence of them having ever existed if the Ministry of Love was thorough enough. The mere fact that this particular detachment didn't have access to a reliable crematoria was a miracle.

Who knew how many people from London, Birmingham or Leeds would never be identified?

Who knew how high the Party's victim count truly was?
Wow. This story is so good. Keep it up.

nice, this will do nicely for the brits, i know it's bad and should not be encouraged the suffering of other people/nations even if they were former colonial empires, even the ones like great britain who invented the first concentration camps that the nazis "improved".

but after learning much of their colonial history in the mid to late-1800s, I've lost some considerable respect to the british, but then again here their former colonial possessions especially their crown jewel india and by lesser extent chinese hongkong and ireland could only feel pity for these guys for being in the dark hole and to help them reclaim their sense of being after ingsoc thoroughly kicked them in the face by a steel tipped jackboot.

which is what we can do irl for north korea and by lesser extent china, russia and half of the middle east.

thanks for writing this man, keep it up.

also one question if you don't mind answering, what was the reaction from the u.s after learning the complete situation of great britain itself after ingsoc is destroyed, or for that matter how china and especially ireland itself considering their close to the former british isles and what happened to the royal family?

did they survive? living in canada perhaps, or dead by ingsoc....
Ireland is part of the British Isles.

New British National Library, London

Prum Nhean was just a boy when Pol Pot's mass slaughter began. He remembered little of life in Cambodia back then, his family fleeing into Thailand and then moving to Canada. But his parents and those of his family who survived had no intention to let the horrors they beheld become forgotten. They spoke of a culture being gutted by its own government, of the wise and curious being put to death after being subjected to horrendous agony. Of people of all ages being shot into holes by the dozens as they begged for mercy.

When he thought of evil, it was Pol Pot's face that first came to mind. Now, the faces associated with the word were those of the former Inner Party. Black suited demons in human form.

When the scale of what was done to Britain's culture had started to be revealed, all the stories he had heard rushed back to him. It wasn't just the destruction of Oxford, Cambridge and the great libraries that shook him. It was how the Party sought to erase the memory of any writer, musician, philosopher, or cultural figure that existed before its time. Even the Nazis would have been in awe of what the Party had achieved. Pol Pot would have looked upon its work and felt inferior, like an amateur. Filling the bookshelves with tomes would only do so much.

Which was why when UNESCO was screaming for archivists, teachers, and librarians to help oversee the creation of new knowledge centers, Prum sent his credentials in library science as soon as possible. His family understood what he intended to do and made no attempts to dissuade him. His father gave a sad smile when he told them all at the dinner table.

"We know what it is like when a nation must reclaim its memory, its soul," his father said mournfully. "The task will be a great one, but I know that you will not let it cow you."

Prum contacted his family back in Toronto whenever he could, either through a phone call or by mail. It took a month for them to respond once he sent a letter describing the cultural damage he witnessed firsthand, with his mother stating that they needed the time to find words capable of describing their horror.

"We feared a great deal," she wrote. "But we were stunned by what you told us. Forgive us for taking so long to get back to you. It exceeded everything we thought possible."

The rest of the letter wasn't as dour, but along with it came a small carving of Buddha meditating. Prum kept it on his desk. It attracted the attention of quite a few of those who visited the library, who asked who the 'kneeling man' was.

Just the fact that he was being asked this question gave him the strength to keep working.
That’s a great comparison you made, as the Inner Party’s destruction of Anglo culture is similar to Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge’s destruction of Cambodia. No joking.

Keep this coming. I hope we can see any back-stories about the rise of INGSOC and Big Brother in this scenario. Anyone remember a similar TL called Tales from Oceania, which had the thesis of Britain being Oceania?
I think there was also another one called Images of 1984, by Will Ritson, on this site.

That's what this story is supposed to focus on. The records of Britain's history pre-Ingsoc are kept in a lot of places including its former dominions which will be taking part in restoring Britain. The mother in the first chapter doesn't know much of what came before the Party but what her son knows of the Ingsoc period has greatly shifted how he views her. But yes, the people of the former Oceania will need to relearn what it is to be functional human beings. The question of how the fuck you do that is what go me interested in writing this.
I guess that is true. Also, one question, what year is this set? Immediately after the events of 1984 (Maybe the late 1980s?), or even the present day.

There is more than one post-1984 scenario which argues "Oceania" was just England, Wales and Scotland. It's even possible to argue it wasn't even that but just London and the South East of England and some form of "barrier" kept the rest of the British Isles untouched.

Orwell's book offers zero objective content as to the state of the rest of the world. Winston Smith never mentions any sense of anything from beyond London - there's not even a reference to a train service to other parts of Oceania such as Liverpool or Birmingham or Plymouth. Smith's universe is incredibly small - London and a small area around.

One could theorise it's all that survived following the atomic war of the early 1950s but that seems improbable. Another possibility is Ingsoc emerged as a radical Marxist variant in London and took over the city but how were the Ministries built, by whom and when?

So you could have an isolated London, effectively sealed off from the rest of the world. Perhaps the rulers of that London have nuclear weapons and have threatened to use them unless their isolation is recognised so apart from very basic trading (using the Thames), the area is apart from the rest of the world. Powerful jamming means no television, audio or later digital signals can get into London - the only communication Londoners have is what the Party provides through its relentless indoctrination.
No, not sure which chapter, but in the books Winston visited Kent, which is 63 km away from his home of London, with his wife and his hiking group of fellow Party members. He also took a train to the countryside to meet his lover Julia. I think why other British cities such as Birmingham are never mentioned is maybe because they were nuked, like Colchester in the book, and due to Oceania’s incredible inefficiency and strict control of info, they were never rebuilt and never mentioned again.

And to state the most obvious, London, or even England is too small an area for it to become such a isolated totalitarian state totally cut off from the world and it’s people having next to zero knowledge of the outside world. And also, the book provides evidence showing us that Oceania controls much more than just London. But I think Oceania could function like it does in Orwell’s book controlling only Great Britain.

Brylyth

Banned
England is big enough for self sufficiency. You just need the population to be kept low. And Oceania isn't exactly giving a damn about plenty.

There are, I imagine, plans for the "de-Juching" of North Korea once the current administration is removed.

There would also be extensive plans for the normalisation of "Oceania" once the fighting was over. The first part of that would be a large UN Reconstruction Fund - one thing which adds credence to the isolation of Oceania would be no reference to North Sea Gas or Oil (Orwell didn't know about them of course) so we have the UN behind the occupying forces bringing food, fuel and starting the process of reconstruction.

Any surviving Inner Party members would likely be put on trial - Outer Party members would likely be imprisoned or at least questioned at length. Let's also remember the indoctrination wasn't steered at the "proles" but at the Party members - for the bulk of the population, there'd be more food, more money, more fuel and in time better housing. The de-programming of Outer Party members might take years.

"Normal" politics might take some time to emerge - most likely emigres returning from decades of exile would try to re-start political movements - but we might see local councils forming to take care of local issues with a new administration ironically operating out of the old Oceania buildings (and some taking careful note pf how the indoctrination process was accomplished).

You'd see foreign television from English language stations in the Commonwealth and of course the Internet swiftly appear. The psychological impact of unfettered capitalism and materialism might encourage crime and as we've seen in OTL, allow some individuals to become very rich very quickly.
Kinda agree with you. But such a ruthlessly efficient and isolated dictatorship like this version of Orwell’s Oceania would cause so much damage that it would take much longer to rebuild, and normal politics you see in like Western Europe, North America, or Australasia may take decades to even function.

England is big enough for self sufficiency. You just need the population to be kept low. And Oceania isn't exactly giving a damn about plenty.
But not too low. Maybe 10 million able bodied adults at the least for a Oceania style regime. Also, I think Oceania will probably give a damn about plenty, so it can maintain their shitty regime.

Kensington, London

Francine Oxton used to be the star of her Anti-Sex League cell. She was the loudest to denounce non-proc as a cancer upon the nation. Sex was supposed to be the means by which the population was regenerated and enlarged, nothing more. She even looked forward to the idea of artsem becoming the sole means of reproduction. There was something pure about it to her. She wouldn't know specifically who impregnated her, and she didn't want to know. Francine believed that it was better that way. It would be as thought Party itself sired her children, and there'd be no need to involve herself with someone who may turn out to be a Thought Criminal. Her faith in the Party wouldn't waver an ounce.

Ignorance was strength, she believed.

Oh how she would laugh at her younger self if she could. She was sixteen when NATO defeated Oceania and the UN took over. As the deluge of propaganda stopped and she could actually gather her thoughts, she understood just what kind of life the Party did to her and so many other girls. It channeled the urges they all had once they began to transition to womanhood toward leader worship, supplication at the alter of authority.

Francine remembered throwing up when she had the revelation. The Party didn't just demand her obedience, it demanded her lust. The other girls in her cell came to the same conclusion. As they grew into their twenties, they began to speak to each other of what they'd been through. They had the strength to speak of how the Party took advantage of them, how it demanded every ounce of their passion while giving back nothing.

Then, a year ago, they had an idea of how to best profane the ideals they once wholeheartedly believed while also making money.

The brothel Francine worked at was a mockery of everything she and her former cell members once held dear and they wouldn't have it any other way. On the wall beside the desk where she worked two days a week as a receptionist was the establishment's creed.

Passion is Strength, Prudishness is Stupid, Pleasure is Life.

Francine grinned broadly when a crowd of guys not much older than her walked through the door.

"Hello gentlemen, and welcome to Miniluv. You looking to be bad boys?"

An olive skinned man returned her smile.

"Oh, we intend to." He looked at the brothel's three 'principles.'

"Words of wisdom if I've ever seen any."

Her grin became more sultry.

"Doubleplusgood. The girls will start you off with a bit of 'Ingsuc' as part of our monthly deal. And just remember." She gestured to a big picture of a young woman with aviator glasses, a black hat with a purple feather in it and a stern expression.

"Big Bitch is watching you."

Authors note: I regret nothing.
“Big Bitch is watching you”-Lmao 😂 .