Pop Culture Timelines Go-To Thread

A Touhou artist mentioned that his old manga allowed him to buy a brand new PC in the 90's and that was just manga and an niche one( echii)
However, I heard that Power Rangers was possible because Super Sentai was cheap. And in general, the phenomenon of anime distribution is connected with the fact that broadcast rights were not expensive.

However, I heard that Power Rangers was possible because Super Sentai was cheap. And in general, the phenomenon of anime distribution is connected with the fact that broadcast rights were not expensive.
Cheap as no one cared outside Japan,liveman was dubbed in Spanish because that but mangas did make money in the market that mattered... Japan

So international licenses might be cheap but the royalties In Japan are a secret

Cheap as no one cared outside Japan,liveman was dubbed in Spanish because that but mangas did make money in the market that mattered... Japan

So international licenses might be cheap but the royalties In Japan are a secret
France got numerous Sentai seasons pre-Zyuranger, and the production feels cheap as hell. You can tell they were acquired and dubbed for cheap.

France got numerous Sentai seasons pre-Zyuranger, and the production feels cheap as hell. You can tell they were acquired and dubbed for cheap.
Before jetman, Sentai were very cheap in a lot of things, jetman raised the profile so zyuranger also heavily benefit from it, even liveman was more lauded by his drama even if the effects were janky as hell

Ok so, I've got an idea that I've already made it's own thread to discuss a bit but I want some more opinions as I've already got a few bullet points.

In the late 70s Marvel and Toei made a deal that allowed them to use eachothers characters however they saw fit. Marvel did this to create the Shogun Warriors comic (https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ComicBook/ShogunWarriors) while Toei used it to make their legendary Spider-Man series. The basic PoD would be that during contract negations an agreement is made that gives the two companies a little more direct oversight on projects pertaining to how each uses the others properties creating a closer overall working relationship with the two and changing a number of things.

The affirmationed bullet points:
Battle Fever J is created as it was originally envisioned, a captain america adaptation but for Japan with Captain Japan eventually getting to appear in thr comics and fight alongside the og Captain at least once.

Stan Lee's idea to do Power Rangers years before Saban ever does with Taiyou Sentai Sun Vulcan goes through resulting in the West getting a tast of Tokusatsu in the 80s rather than 90s, with him specifically making it a package deal with A dub of Toei Spider-Man that has a much stronger appeal thanks to the West already having had successful Marvel Superhero TV shows (A Spider-Man show already having been one) and the two forming a America equivalent to what otl Japan would call the Super Hero Time block.

Through butterfly effect Philip Michael Thomas dies in a freak accident before Miami Vice and the show never ends up getting off the ground.

From what I've found multiple sources say the Pryde of the X-Men pilot was animated by Toei and long story short in this timeline Marvel has it aired in Japan first as proof of concept before bringing it over to the west making for a slightly different X-Men animated series.

A bit into the timeline DC seeing Marvel and Toei's joint Sucess seeks out a Japanese partner of it's own and finds tsuburaya productions resulting in the TV movie Superman vs Ultraman

Saban, thoroughly kicking himself for not thinking of it first ITL after seeing the Sucess of Marvel's Super Sentai adaptation he aproched Toei as they were preparing to send Sailor Moon to the west with an offer, the result? A rough equivalent to Toon Makers Sailor Moon being the majority of American children's introduction to the story.

So, any other potential butterfly's I might want to add? Comments on what I've got so far? I'll take anything.

Last edited:
Ok so, I've got an idea that I've already made it's own thread to discuss a bit but I want some more opinions as I've already got a few bullet points.

In the late 70s Marvel and Toei made a deal that allowed them to use eachothers characters however they saw fit. Marvel did this to create the Shogun Warriors comic (https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ComicBook/ShogunWarriors) while Toei used it to make their legendary Spider-Man series. The basic PoD would be that during contract negations an agreement is made that gives the two companies a little more direct oversight on projects pertaining to how each uses the others properties creating a closer overall working relationship with the two and changing a number of things.

The affirmationed bullet points:
Battle Fever J is created as it was originally envisioned, a captain america adaptation but for Japan with Captain Japan eventually getting to appear in thr comics and fight alongside the og Captain at least once.

Stan Lee's idea to do Power Rangers years before Saban ever does with Taiyou Sentai Sun Vulcan goes through resulting in the West getting a tast of Tokusatsu in the 80s rather than 90s, with him specifically making it a package deal with A dub of Toei Spider-Man that has a much stronger appeal thanks to the West already having had successful Marvel Superhero TV shows (A Spider-Man show already having been one) and the two forming a America equivalent to what otl Japan would call the Super Hero Time block.

Through butterfly effect Philip Michael Thomas dies in a freak accident before Miami Vice and the show never ends up getting off the ground.

From what I've found multiple sources say the Pryde of the X-Men pilot was animated by Toei and long story short in this timeline Marvel has it aired in Japan first as proof of concept before bringing it over to the west making for a slightly different X-Men animated series.

A bit into the timeline DC seeing Marvel and Toei's joint Sucess seeks out a Japanese partner of it's own and finds tsuburaya productions resulting in the TV movie Superman vs Ultraman

Saban, thoroughly kicking himself for not thinking of it first ITL after seeing the Sucess of Marvel's Super Sentai adaptation he aproched Toei as they were preparing to send Sailor Moon to the west with an offer, the result? A rough equivalent to Toon Makers Sailor Moon being the majority of American children's introduction to the story.

So, any other potential butterfly's I might want to add? Comments on what I've got so far? I'll take anything.
DO IT!

I could help you! Hopefully we could even bring Kamen Rider over as well!

What have this to do with the rest?
I don't know, what does an IRA car bomb killing then Prince Charles and Prince William or George R.R. Martin dying of a heart attack have to do with Nintendo of 1990 getting a DS from the future?

Some butterfly's aren't as connected as others
DO IT!

I could help you! Hopefully we could even bring Kamen Rider over as well!
Yeah I was considering doing that actually. Wanna talk more over Private messages are do ya got any other ideas ya wanna discuss here?

Dunno I'm only a technical adviser, but yeah random butterflies can happen is just I was wondering who was that guy and saw XD
It was just sorta an idea. Well not as big today Miami Vice is still a pop culture thing that had a impact so a little change where it never happened seems like a interesting side thing.

For instance, Philip's otl co star Don Johnson Never having a botched attempt at a film career in the early 90s and stays on TV, and mabey end up on different tv shows as a result.

It was just sorta an idea. Well not as big today Miami Vice is still a pop culture thing that had a impact so a little change where it never happened seems like a interesting side thing.

For instance, Philip's otl co star Don Johnson Never having a botched attempt at a film career in the early 90s and stays on TV, and mabey end up on different tv shows as a result.
It feel very random but that's up to anyone

I actually came up with an... odd idea:
  • Saban and Fox Kids never partner up in 1996, and all Saban shows are off Fox Kids by 1999
  • Instead, Fox still spins off Fox Kids (while keeping a stake in the new company), and Loesch instead partners with the Jim Henson Company
  • Hallmark also wants to partner with Henson, so they all team up
  • the partnership still buys the Family Channel as a cable channel and essentially becomes the TTL version of Odyssey's "Hallmark and Henson" refresh; it's not rebranded to Fox Family, but the schedule is completely changed
  • Noggin is also butterflied, at least in its Nick/CTW joint venture state and CTW instead partners up with the channel via their old buddies at Henson (like IOTL's international-exclusive Kermit Channel)
  • In 2000, not only is Henson still sold off (IOTL to EM.TV), Hallmark Cards also still sells off Hallmark Entertainment (IOTL to become Crown Media). But ITTL, they all merge with the Fox Kids independent company, which then takes the Jim Henson Company name, with Loesch at the helm.
Here's the "launch" schedule for 1998's new Family Channel:

(COLOR KEY)
CTW Shows
Henson Shows
Fox Kids Shows
Fox Shows
Hallmark Shows
MTM Shows
Family Channel Holdovers
New Acquisitions

(PRESCHOOL BLOCK)
7 AM: Fraggle Rock
7:30 AM: The Animal Show
8 AM: Sesame Street (!!!)
9 AM: Jim Henson's Mother Goose Stories
9:30 AM: Zoobilee Zoo

(ADULT DAYTIME)
10 AM: The 700 Club
11:30 AM: The Carol Burnett Show
12 PM: Hal Roach Presents (with stuff like Laurel and Hardy and Our Gang/The Little Rascals)
1 PM: The Three Stooges

(KIDS BLOCK PART ONE - YOUNGER SKEWING OR EDUCATIONAL OR BOTH FILLER)
2 PM: The Archie Show
2:30 PM: Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids
3 PM: The Electric Company
3:30 PM: 3-2-1 Contact
4 PM: Square One TV
4:30 PM: Bobby’s World

(KIDS BLOCK PART TWO - THE REAL SHIT)
5 PM: Life with Louie
5:30 PM: Eek the Cat
6 PM: Spider-Man
6:30 PM: Batman (1966)
7 PM: Goosebumps
7:30 PM: Ghostwriter

(PRIMETIME)
8 PM: The Muppet Show
8:30 PM: ALF
9 PM: Mork and Mindy
9:30 PM: Doogie Howser, MD
10 PM: Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman
11 PM: The 700 Club
12 AM: Rescue 911

Saturday Western Roundup continues on Saturday evenings, with Bonanza, Big Valley, Rifleman, and High Chapparal, and new-ish shows Snowy River, Lonesome Dove: The Series, and Dr. Quinn: Medicine Woman. Saturday mornings mix preschool with similar young-skewing educational shows like the CTW stuff and The Ghost of Faffner Hall, while Sunday mornings focus more on the traditional Fox Kids action and comedy, followed up by movies and specials throughout Saturday afternoon and Sunday.

It feel very random but that's up to anyone
Well the main focus of the TL (at least to start) will be tv alongside comics so eh, I'm also considering having lesser known actor Jon-Erik Hexum never winding up in a position to suffer his otl fate. Akso the movie Mars Attacks! is never made

These are just some random things, if anyone else has ideas or suggestions I'm welcoming themm

• Saban and Fox Kids never partner up in 1996, and all Saban shows are off Fox Kids by 1999
  • Instead, Fox still spins off Fox Kids (while keeping a stake in the new company), and Loesch instead partners with the Jim Henson Company
  • the partnership still buys the Family Channel as a cable channel and essentially becomes the TTL version of Odyssey's "Hallmark and Henson" refresh; it's not rebranded to Fox Family, but the schedule is completely changed
  • Noggin is also butterflied, at least in its Nick/CTW joint venture state and CTW instead partners up with the channel via their old buddies at Henson (like IOTL's international-exclusive Kermit Channel)
  • In 2000, not only is Henson still sold off (IOTL to EM.TV), Hallmark Cards also still sells off Hallmark Entertainment (IOTL to become Crown Media). But ITTL, they all merge with the Fox Kids independent company, which then takes the Jim Henson Company name, with Loesch at the helm.

(COLOR KEY)
CTW Shows
Henson Shows
Fox Kids Shows
Fox Shows
Hallmark Shows
MTM Shows
Family Channel Holdovers
New Acquisitions

(PRESCHOOL BLOCK)

(ADULT DAYTIME)
12 PM: Hal Roach Presents (with stuff like Laurel and Hardy and Our Gang/The Little Rascals)

(PRIMETIME)

Saturday Western Roundup continues on Saturday evenings, with Bonanza, Big Valley, Rifleman, and High Chapparal, and new-ish shows Snowy River, Lonesome Dove: The Series, and Dr. Quinn: Medicine Woman. Saturday mornings mix preschool with similar young-skewing educational shows like the CTW stuff and The Ghost of Faffner Hall, while Sunday mornings focus more on the traditional Fox Kids action and comedy, followed up by movies and specials throughout Saturday afternoon and Sunday.
oops, i didn't mean to post this here. but i guess it fits so i won't delete it?

Yeah I was considering doing that actually. Wanna talk more over Private messages are do ya got any other ideas ya wanna discuss here?
Can you start the PM for me and invite me?

(COLOR KEY)
CTW Shows
Henson Shows
Fox Kids Shows
Fox Shows
Hallmark Shows
MTM Shows
Family Channel Holdovers
New Acquisitions

(PRESCHOOL BLOCK)

(ADULT DAYTIME)

(PRIMETIME)

Cool!

Ok question. Hypothetically if in a alternate 1996 thanks to certain butterflies Columbia pictures makes a bad Jurrasic Park rip off that skirts the line just enough that Universal takes them to court over it, what are the odds of Universal winning and what would a likely outcome be for both studios if they did?

Ok question. Hypothetically if in a alternate 1996 thanks to certain butterflies Columbia pictures makes a bad Jurrasic Park rip off that skirts the line just enough that Universal takes them to court over it, what are the odds of Universal winning and what would a likely outcome be for both studios if they did?
Columbia would probably die. Maybe get bought out by Universal themselves?

Columbia would probably die. Maybe get bought out by Universal themselves?
Probably just a nasty lawsuit (similar to the ones the Asylum gets hit with but obviously a bit more serious) a big bill, the entire board and whoever commissioned the film fired and a "Don't do it again or else!" Maybe Universal gets to buy the Spider-Man rights while Columbia is sorting itself out?

Unless Columbia buy the rights,even a bad dinosaur movie is irrelevant, there's not chance the project would be marketed if they use JP name without Crichton authorization

Probably just a nasty lawsuit (similar to the ones the Asylum gets hit with but obviously a bit more serious) a big bill, the entire board and whoever commissioned the film fired and a "Don't do it again or else!" Maybe Universal gets to buy the Spider-Man rights while Columbia is sorting itself out?
MGM still owns the rights at the time dude