Pop Culture Timelines Go-To Thread

…I never understood the dislike some people have for the Star Wars prequel trilogy.
The situation in Russia is this: prequels are very popular, but most people don’t like sequels.

...............................................................................................................................................................................

But my question is on the other side - have Japanese companies tried to penetrate the European market? I just see active flirting with the American market. In general, this is due to the enormous popularity of consoles in the USA, and Europeans are PC gamers - but suddenly there are some nuances.

have Japanese companies tried to penetrate the European market?
They did just that the market wasn't bigger and before wintel standard, PC were too much machine and in the 90s console were king in the Richer European nations so that's like otl,even PC ports come from the show the consoles and PC barrier disappearing

They did just that the market wasn't bigger and before wintel standard, PC were too much machine and in the 90s console were king in the Richer European nations so that's like otl,even PC ports come from the show the consoles and PC barrier disappearing
Very interesting. But which consoles were popular in France and GermanyGermany?

Very interesting. But which consoles were popular in France and GermanyGermany?
Seems genesis and SNES were toe to toe in France before Sega self destruct, then was PS1 and n64, in Germany was more fragmented but SNES was close, Sega was popular in UK but all that evaporated by themselves

Seems genesis and SNES were toe to toe in France before Sega self destruct, then was PS1 and n64, in Germany was more fragmented but SNES was close, Sega was popular in UK but all that evaporated by themselves
In Russia, the most popular console was Dandy (a Famicom clone), and in the late nineties and 2000s PS1 and PsP. But in general, the PC gaming market was much broader - so much so that the term “computer games” was official for a long time.

The situation in Russia is this: prequels are very popular, but most people don’t like sequels.

...............................................................................................................................................................................

But my question is on the other side - have Japanese companies tried to penetrate the European market? I just see active flirting with the American market. In general, this is due to the enormous popularity of consoles in the USA, and Europeans are PC gamers - but suddenly there are some nuances.
Sega did and was quite successful. It seems that Sonic was extremely popular in the US, Europe, and Brazil/Latin America but not Japan and when they had the chance to make Sonic popular there via the Saturn, they didn't release a game with it. Basically, Sega's entire console history can be summed up in this one sentence "And then I continued to punch myself."

Eh, less 'third place' and more 'took a third option.' (Sails the blue ocean.) And Nintendo hasn't done well consistently, no…, but the Wii's, DS's, and Switch's sales figures would like to have a word.

Also, 'GameCube is best girlconsole of its generation.' In this case, sales tell you nothing. POOOOOWWWEEEEER!!! UNLIMITED…POOOOOWWWEEEEER!!! Fight me.

/s
Seriously, though, the Playstation 2's sales numbers don't lie.

…Hmm, I think I'm beginning to see at least part of the angle you're taking here that generation. You're expecting the Sega/Sony console then, with the added boost from Microsoft, will see success similar to what the PS2 had in our timeline, if not perhaps even at least a little bit better.

I have to wonder, though, if anything changes at Nintendo as a reaction in response to your timeline's combined counterpart to both the Saturn and PS1 during its development. Have you thought about that?
I think that it's extremely likely the Sega-Sony partnership will be extremely successful, especially with a Microsoft game porting exclusivity deal. Halo was a massive money maker and by making it exclusive to Sega-Sony Consoles, it will drive up the sales of consoles considerably when its paired up with the iconic Sonic in a new game and other franchises that could be created ittl, at least in the west (no idea how Halo is seen in the East). As for Nintendo, they probably try to stay the course until around 2002 when Miyamoto takes power and changes the Company's direction. They probably get Namco too, which helps them. The opening of the TL is primarily about Arrogance, Ego, and Jealousy. SoJ's Jealousy of SoA is quelled thanks to the successful Sonic Manga making Sonic popular in Japan just in time for a Sonic game to release with the Saturn, and as there is no jealousy, the planned Sega-Sony partnership occurs, which is due to Nintendo's arrogance getting ahead of them and so the Saturn is pretty much the PS1 with even more added to it. Because of Sega-Sony's success throughout the 90s, the ego goes to their heads and they reject Bandai because of it, leading to the Nintendo-Bandai merger. Nintendo's arrogance created their monster and Sega's Ego creates theirs and as both are fighting one another, Game Park comes out of nowhere to steal the spotlight from them both and hit second in console sales.

OK, now that's something I haven t seen done yet. And would this happen before or after the Bandai/Namco merger from our timeline could? (I'm guessing maybe before?)
Yep, but Namco is likely absorbed by Nintendo as well later on to try and strengthen their grip on Japan.

This is even more unique!
Yep, and for those wondering, the company is indeed Game Park. They don't make the mistakes of OTL and handle things better, even exporting their consoles and games to a Russian, Chinese, and European Market before Sega and Nintendo. As for game exclusives, I have no ideas but I did have an idea for a certain game from South Korea that has been in the news a lot to be the flagship franchise of GP and its main character to be their mascot.

I think you meant to say 'Dark Era' here.

…Oh, wait, you mean the rest of the Meta Era. Keep the good parts of Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations (mostly the gameplay,) but:
  • completely overhaul the silly parts of the cutscenes and dialogue and
  • keep characters other than Sonic, Tails, and Dr. Eggman relevant in the games.
Yeah, stuff like Shadow losing all of his actual characterization and becoming a memey joke of a character that is edgy for the sake of being edgy don't happen along with the Sonic Boom age which, while some of the jokes were funny (that Knuckles being a feminist bit was gold), hurt the franchise quite a bit. Sonic can be a peter-parker esque character in terms of wise cracks and confidence, since he has always been portrayed as that ever since his inception in the 90s as too cool for school and such, but he is more than that and that will continue ittl.

OK, then just leave the MCU alone, but butterfly Disney's purchase of Marvel away. Also keep LucasFilm independent (or at least have some company other than Disney get them as a purchase/subsidiary but take a much more hands-off approach in managing them.)
I am still no huge fan, personally, of the MCU and the cultural impact of it dying in its cradle would be very interesting since a lot of that led to the overabundance of Super Hero shows, movies, and comics along with the idea of Cinematic Universes, which have been for the most part pretty bad outside of Marvel until recently and, funnily enough, Sonic (as it looks like the Knuckles Series might actually be good and if rumors are to be believed, there will be a Shadow the Hedgehog original series after Sonic 3 comes out, which could really flesh him out in a way movies can't if Paramount does it right (which Jeff Fowler seems to really want, as Chris Pratt was dropped from the idea of being in the first movie due to not caring about Sonic and he made it clear you had to care about Sonic to be in the Movies, which is a brilliant move from him). So no MCU means the Cinematic Universe and Superhero world we are currently in today doesn't happen which has interesting aftereffects for culture.

For The Phantom Menace, aside from keeping:
  • the good deleted scenes/extended cuts from re-releases and
  • the best takes of certain lines/scenes from its various releases,
how would you change/improve the film?

Well, George Lucas likely gives TPM to Howard or Zemeckis and has Speilberg, fresh off SPR, do AotC while he himself does RotS with the team he originally did it for. I'm undecided on what to with TPM's writer but keeping SPR is a big goal of mine.

I know that's not been done yet but is it possible for an Nintendo to be an Multiplatform Developer while SEGA Stays in the Console Market in this very Alternate timeline without it being an ASB?

if so, what would be the Hypothetical premise for this timeline?

I know that's not been done yet but is it possible for an Nintendo to be an Multiplatform Developer while SEGA Stays in the Console Market in this very Alternate timeline without it being an ASB?

if so, what would be the Hypothetical premise for this timeline?
With their modus operandi, Nintendo would rather go down and/or stay handheld-exclusive (a section they've hardly bombed at) than go multiplat. I don't see Nintendo quitting the console market, but Sega remaining a very good player could be possible. You'd have to retcon and butterfly a boatload of their bullshit decisions though :p

With their modus operandi, Nintendo would rather go down and/or stay handheld-exclusive (a section they've hardly bombed at) than go multiplat. I don't see Nintendo quitting the console market, but Sega remaining a very good player could be possible. You'd have to retcon and butterfly a boatload of their bullshit decisions though :p
Technically even if Sega played mistake Free..the developers and market rejected the Saturn,no one cared about it,no Sonic games might have helped Sonic,as adventures got a whole console for it.

Regardless...okawa death and Sega own management( kalisnke when a good marketer..was a disaster with inventory and cash flows) would end Sega own console business that was secondary to the arcade One

And....Nintendo going multiplatform or sticking exclusively to handhelds is just not a very good idea overall.......Again, I'd rather see Playstation fall than Nintendo dying...

I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in helping in a Pop Culture TL where Sega doesn't make the blunders of OTL and continues with their consoles to the present day, replacing Microsoft in the Console market and relegating Nintendo to 3rd Place, and so Sega (and thus Sonic) is a lot more culturally relevant today than he was iotl. Other events I have planned is a certain popular Mangaka making a Sonic Manga, A Microsoft-Sega exclusivity deal where Microsoft has exclusive rights for PC ports of Sega games and Sega has exclusive rights for Console ports of Microsoft games, Taylor Swift never leaving Country and fading into relative obscurity, Kanye West dying in a plane crash in 2011, Kurt Cobain never committing suicide, RD Jr is never cast for Tony Stark and Iron Man 2008 flops, killing the MCU in its cradle and preventing the Cinematic Universe and Superhero craze for at least another few years, the Star Wars Prequels having a different writer that leads to them being better received than in otl, etc, etc. Anyone interested in helping?
Sounds like a Alt 80's onwards timeline - I suggest finding a POD and posting an opening pitch, plus whatever rules you are setting for posting (claim system or the like).

If people like it the posts will flow.

Is it possible for Warner Bros. to meet with Square Enix for a Kingdom Hearts-like game? would you be interested in a timeline where Disney is doing Space jam but Warner Bros would do Kingdom Hearts with Looney Tunes Characters and warner bros characters with Square Enix's help?

Is it possible for Warner Bros. to meet with Square Enix for a Kingdom Hearts-like game? would you be interested in a timeline where Disney is doing Space jam but Warner Bros would do Kingdom Hearts with Looney Tunes Characters and warner bros characters with Square Enix's help?
WB Kingdom Hearts I can understand. Disney Space Jam? No.

As for Nintendo, they probably try to stay the course until around 2002 when Miyamoto takes power and changes the Company's direction.
You mean Satoru Iwata here.

They probably get Namco too, which helps them.
Yep, but Namco is likely absorbed by Nintendo as well later on to try and strengthen their grip on Japan.
How would that happen, then, since Nintendo acquiring Bandai would be before the Bandai-Namco merger? Or maybe you haven't come up with that yet.

Nintendo acquiring Bandai but Namco staying independent could be interesting, alternatively. Namco's System 11 arcade hardware was based on a prototype of the PS1 in our timeline.

Because of Sega-Sony's success throughout the 90s, the ego goes to their heads and they reject Bandai because of it, leading to the Nintendo-Bandai merger.
I see; interesting.

Nintendo's arrogance created their monster and Sega's Ego creates theirs and as both are fighting one another, Game Park comes out of nowhere to steal the spotlight from them both and hit second in console sales.
Yep, and for those wondering, the company is indeed Game Park. They don't make the mistakes of OTL and handle things better, even exporting their consoles and games to a Russian, Chinese, and European Market before Sega and Nintendo.
It would/will be interesting to see how you'd pull this off.

a lot of that led to the overabundance of Super Hero shows, movies, and comics along with the idea of Cinematic Universes, which have been for the most part pretty bad outside of Marvel until recently and, funnily enough, Sonic
So no MCU means the Cinematic Universe and Superhero world we are currently in today doesn't happen which has interesting aftereffects for culture.
OK, that's kind of a part of this angle I can empathize and agree with. Large, long-running movie continuities can certainly be hard to get right and have consistently good content of consistent quality in. At least part of DC's attempt to join the bandwagon/follow the leader didn't work out. More market competition for consumer mindshare and minimizing the prevalence of and otherwise mitigating rabid single-fandom fan cabals are also good outcomes.

Last edited:
How would that happen, then, since Nintendo acquiring Bandai would be before the Bandai-Namco merger? Or maybe you haven't come up with that yet.

Nintendo acquiring Bandai but Namco staying independent could be interesting, alternatively. Namco's System 11 arcade hardware was based on a prototype of the PS1 in our timeline.
OTL Nintendo was buying Bandai stock during 2004-2005, seems Nintendo was serious about it(and Namco merger was like a hedgehog defense that was helped by Sony, as Namco cash flow wasn't that good at the time)

OTL Nintendo was buying Bandai stock during 2004-2005, seems Nintendo was serious about it(and Namco merger was like a hedgehog defense that was helped by Sony, as Namco cash flow wasn't that good at the time)
So a Nintendo-Bandai merger (to some degree) and a Sega-Namco merger (which, depending on the time, may avoid Sega's merger with Sammy). This is either a very good timeline or a very bad timeline. God I want to see a TL based on this.

Excuse me, but I have a question - what prices do Japanese copyright holders set for the rights to adapt any work or franchise (manga, anime, or video game)? What kinds of legal subtleties are possible in this case?

Excuse me, but I have a question - what prices do Japanese copyright holders set for the rights to adapt any work or franchise (manga, anime, or video game)? What kinds of legal subtleties are possible in this case?
We need a japanese but that must be a secret as neither Bakuman nor hidamari sketch touched it

A Touhou artist mentioned that his old manga allowed him to buy a brand new PC in the 90's and that was just manga and an niche one( echii)

Last edited: