Pop Culture Timelines Go-To Thread

I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in helping in a Pop Culture TL where Sega doesn't make the blunders of OTL and continues with their consoles to the present day, replacing Microsoft in the Console market and relegating Nintendo to 3rd Place, and so Sega (and thus Sonic) is a lot more culturally relevant today than he was iotl. Other events I have planned is a certain popular Mangaka making a Sonic Manga, A Microsoft-Sega exclusivity deal where Microsoft has exclusive rights for PC ports of Sega games and Sega has exclusive rights for Console ports of Microsoft games, Taylor Swift never leaving Country and fading into relative obscurity, Kanye West dying in a plane crash in 2011, Kurt Cobain never committing suicide, RD Jr is never cast for Tony Stark and Iron Man 2008 flops, killing the MCU in its cradle and preventing the Cinematic Universe and Superhero craze for at least another few years, the Star Wars Prequels having a different writer that leads to them being better received than in otl, etc, etc. Anyone interested in helping?

I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in helping in a Pop Culture TL where Sega doesn't make the blunders of OTL and continues with their consoles to the present day, replacing Microsoft in the Console market and relegating Nintendo to 3rd Place, and so Sega (and thus Sonic) is a lot more culturally relevant today than he was iotl. Other events I have planned is a certain popular Mangaka making a Sonic Manga, A Microsoft-Sega exclusivity deal where Microsoft has exclusive rights for PC ports of Sega games and Sega has exclusive rights for Console ports of Microsoft games, Taylor Swift never leaving Country and fading into relative obscurity, Kanye West dying in a plane crash in 2011, Kurt Cobain never committing suicide, RD Jr is never cast for Tony Stark and Iron Man 2008 flops, killing the MCU in its cradle and preventing the Cinematic Universe and Superhero craze for at least another few years, the Star Wars Prequels having a different writer that leads to them being better received than in otl, etc, etc. Anyone interested in helping?
So basically a Sega-fied Player Two Start?

I'm down. I have ideas for a old Sega TL. I'll be perfectly willing to help!

Sure I'm willing to went a hand if you want.

I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in helping in a Pop Culture TL where Sega doesn't make the blunders of OTL and continues with their consoles to the present day, replacing Microsoft in the Console market and relegating Nintendo to 3rd Place, and so Sega (and thus Sonic) is a lot more culturally relevant today than he was iotl.
Not sure about the rest, but I'd love to offer ideas for a Sega-centric project.

I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in helping in a Pop Culture TL where Sega doesn't make the blunders of OTL and continues with their consoles to the present day, replacing Microsoft in the Console market…
Given:
  • that Sega had some involvement in the Xbox's development early on in its history, particularly with the Windows CE development environment for the Dreamcast, in our timeline;
  • this, which Google just turned up for me; and
  • the amount of support Sega gave the Xbox in the form of exclusive games early on in the console's lifecycle,
this fits somewhat. Presumably, post-PoD, this parallels that.

…and relegating Nintendo to 3rd Place, …
…OK, putting Sega on more of a level playing field with Nintendo is one thing, but completely wanking Sega to make them OP? I honestly wouldn't be interested in that, myself, personally.

…and so Sega (and thus Sonic) is a lot more culturally relevant today than he was iotl. …
I agree that this would be neat/nice to see. Some of the low points in his series's history haven't really done Sonic justice. It's also sad to see a company decline so much.

Other events I have planned is a certain popular Mangaka making a Sonic Manga, …
This could prove interesting. You intentionally haven't given us enough context to guess which manga artist you mean, though.

A Microsoft-Sega exclusivity deal where Microsoft has exclusive rights for PC ports of Sega games and Sega has exclusive rights for Console ports of Microsoft games, …
This could be an interesting take on the concept of more Sega/Microsoft collaboration.

It looks like SegaSoft released some PC titles, however, though perhaps you were already aware of that.

…RD Jr is never cast for Tony Stark and Iron Man 2008 flops, killing the MCU in its cradle and preventing the Cinematic Universe and Superhero craze for at least another few years, …
…Why. Just…why?! What do you have against the earlier MCU?

…the Star Wars Prequels having a different writer that leads to them being better received than in otl, etc, etc. …
…I never understood the dislike some people have for the Star Wars prequel trilogy.

Not sure about the rest
Agreed.

Last edited:
…OK, putting Sega on more of a level playing field with Nintendo is one thing, but completely wanking Sega to make them OP? I honestly wouldn't be interested in that, myself, personally.
well, putting into context that, for all intents and purposes, Nintendo IS the 3rd place in the Console Wars compared to the Titans of Microsoft and Sony. After the failure of the GameCube, Nintendo hasn't been able to be as victorious and have to come out on top as the other two companies have. I am considering having the Sega-Sony partnership happen (as it almost did otl, until SoJ, jealous of SoA's success, made the process difficult for everyone). Later, the Microsoft exclusivity deal happens after Nintendo takes up Bandai while a South Korean company emerges to compete with Sega-Sony and Nintendo-Bandai in the 2000s and beyond.

I agree that this would be neat/nice to see. Some of the low points in his series's history haven't really done Sonic justice. It's also sad to see a company decline so much.
Yeah, so no Meta Era and stuff like the Sonic 06 debacle don't happen (especially with the fact of Elise, a human, kissing Sonic, a Hedgehog, which I don't want to think the implications of) and Shadow the Hedgehog is more fleshed out and comes out as a polished and better idea than what came out otl, so expect an emotionally complex, more three-dimensional characterization of Sonic ITTL's games that don't go overboard or melodramatic while still keeping him and the gang marketable.

I've never been a personal fan of Superheroes (outside of Spiderman and Superman for obvious reasons) myself and view them as fodder to light on fire but I can at least value their cultural legacy and impact they have. However, the cultural impact of an MCU that is killed in its cradle will be absolutely massive in today's culture. The MCU, and to a lesser extent the SW Sequels, led to Disney becoming even more of a juggernaut than it was before them. Without them, Disney might go through a new dark era much sooner.

…I never understood the dislike some people have for the Star Wars prequel trilogy.
I personally love them unironically even if TPM and AotC aren't the best they can be (though RotS is on par with ANH, and above RotJ, imo). Them being better written helps the George keep a hold on LucasFilms and so we might get new Indiana Jones and SW movies that follows what George wants and not what Disney wants.

This could prove interesting. You intentionally haven't given us enough context to guess which manga artist you mean, though.
Also, I left this one intentionally vague so that people who aren't helping me with the TL will have some kind of interest in who I am referring to (it is made clear in the first post within the very first couple of sentences though).

Honestly, I feel like your TL is a bit too utopian to have me sold, Doofus. But I like the general concept of Sega sticking around and Sonic not becoming a laughing stock unlike OTL.

I'd down for a SEGA-themed Timeline, I want to suggest some ideas for you @TheDoofusUser.

They aren't, just an internet mantra

Herd mentality
I - like others - love Revenge of the Sith, but I think one of the reasons why it didn’t really gain that appreciation until fairly recently was because The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones had already spoiled opinions on the Prequel Trilogy with how divisive they were.

I - like others - love Revenge of the Sith, but I think one of the reasons why it didn’t really gain that appreciation until fairly recently was because The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones had already spoiled opinions on the Prequel Trilogy with how divisive they were.
TPM have the thing that feels so disconnected, that you can remove it from the trilogy and nothing is lost, AOTC have the issue that both Obi-Wan and Anakin plots feels badly stitched together. I would just change TPM, both TPM and AOTC can merge together and made an stronger movie

They aren't, just an internet mantra

Have you watched the movies lately? If you can stick through episode 2 without getting bored or depressed, more credit to you, but most people couldn't and can't. I sure as hell can't, it's a dismal film. Sometimes the 'hive mind' is right y'know.

If anything the 'internet mantra' is the weird 'they were good/underappreciated!' revisionism that just-so-happened to kick off just as Disney acquired the property and had a vested interest in increasing the value of a series of horribly received films. Hmm!

TPM have the thing that feels so disconnected, that you can remove it from the trilogy and nothing is lost, AOTC have the issue that both Obi-Wan and Anakin plots feels badly stitched together. I would just change TPM, both TPM and AOTC can merge together and made an stronger movie
That and I think more time should be spent on Anakin and Padme’s relationship (and make their dialogue better) than Anakin’s relationship with his mom, while also having something else replace the Tusken Raiders slaughter for Anakin’s turn to the Dark Side.
the Star Wars Prequels having a different writer that leads to them being better received than in otl, etc, etc. Anyone interested in helping?
As for you @TheDoofusUser I should note that Lucas tried to get Ron Howard, Robert Zemeckis, and Steven Spielberg to direct The Phantom Menace. All of them rejected, so I guess you would have to have a tradeoff of sorts if you want any of those people to be involved instead. As in, The Phantom Menace is the best Star Wars movie since The Empire Strikes Back under Spielberg’s watch - but at the cost of Saving Private Ryan not getting made.

Given:
  • that Sega had some involvement in the Xbox's development early on in its history, particularly with the Windows CE development environment for the Dreamcast, in our timeline;
  • this, which Google just turned up for me; and
  • the amount of support Sega gave the Xbox in the form of exclusive games early on in the console's lifecycle,
this fits somewhat. Presumably, post-PoD, this parallels that.

This could be an interesting take on the concept of more Sega/Microsoft collaboration.

It looks like SegaSoft released some PC titles, however, though perhaps you were already aware of that.

Agreed.
Those are some good ideas.
well, putting into context that, for all intents and purposes, Nintendo IS the 3rd place in the Console Wars compared to the Titans of Microsoft and Sony. After the failure of the GameCube, Nintendo hasn't been able to be as victorious and have to come out on top as the other two companies have. I am considering having the Sega-Sony partnership happen (as it almost did otl, until SoJ, jealous of SoA's success, made the process difficult for everyone). Later, the Microsoft exclusivity deal happens after Nintendo takes up Bandai while a South Korean company emerges to compete with Sega-Sony and Nintendo-Bandai in the 2000s and beyond.
That's cool, but I'd rather see Sony get their reckoning. Also, I just don't think Sony-Sega could work here....Sony is....well...Sony......
Yeah, so no Meta Era and stuff like the Sonic 06 debacle don't happen (especially with the fact of Elise, a human, kissing Sonic, a Hedgehog, which I don't want to think the implications of) and Shadow the Hedgehog is more fleshed out and comes out as a polished and better idea than what came out otl, so expect an emotionally complex, more three-dimensional characterization of Sonic ITTL's games that don't go overboard or melodramatic while still keeping him and the gang marketable.

I've never been a personal fan of Superheroes (outside of Spiderman and Superman for obvious reasons) myself and view them as fodder to light on fire but I can at least value their cultural legacy and impact they have. However, the cultural impact of an MCU that is killed in its cradle will be absolutely massive in today's culture. The MCU, and to a lesser extent the SW Sequels, led to Disney becoming even more of a juggernaut than it was before them. Without them, Disney might go through a new dark era much sooner.

I personally love them unironically even if TPM and AotC aren't the best they can be (though RotS is on par with ANH, and above RotJ, imo). Them being better written helps the George keep a hold on LucasFilms and so we might get new Indiana Jones and SW movies that follows what George wants and not what Disney wants.
I would love to see Disney go thru a dark age just for the cold irony considering OTL's events.
I'd down for a SEGA-themed Timeline, I want to suggest some ideas for you @TheDoofusUser.
Yeah.

well, putting into context that, for all intents and purposes, Nintendo IS the 3rd place in the Console Wars compared to the Titans of Microsoft and Sony. After the failure of the GameCube, Nintendo hasn't been able to be as victorious and have to come out on top as the other two companies have. I am considering having the Sega-Sony partnership happen (as it almost did otl, until SoJ, jealous of SoA's success, made the process difficult for everyone). Later, the Microsoft exclusivity deal happens …
Eh, less 'third place' and more 'took a third option.' (Sails the blue ocean.) And Nintendo hasn't done well consistently, no…, but the Wii's, DS's, and Switch's sales figures would like to have a word.

Also, 'GameCube is best girlconsole of its generation.' In this case, sales tell you nothing. POOOOOWWWEEEEER!!! UNLIMITED…POOOOOWWWEEEEER!!! Fight me.

/s
Seriously, though, the Playstation 2's sales numbers don't lie.

…Hmm, I think I'm beginning to see at least part of the angle you're taking here that generation. You're expecting the Sega/Sony console then, with the added boost from Microsoft, will see success similar to what the PS2 had in our timeline, if not perhaps even at least a little bit better.

I have to wonder, though, if anything changes at Nintendo as a reaction in response to your timeline's combined counterpart to both the Saturn and PS1 during its development. Have you thought about that?

…after Nintendo takes up Bandai…
OK, now that's something I haven t seen done yet. And would this happen before or after the Bandai/Namco merger from our timeline could? (I'm guessing maybe before?)

…while a South Korean company emerges to compete with Sega-Sony and Nintendo-Bandai in the 2000s and beyond.
This is even more unique!

Yeah, so no Meta Era…
I think you meant to say 'Dark Era' here.

…Oh, wait, you mean the rest of the Meta Era. Keep the good parts of Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations (mostly the gameplay,) but:
  • completely overhaul the silly parts of the cutscenes and dialogue and
  • keep characters other than Sonic, Tails, and Dr. Eggman relevant in the games.

…and stuff like the Sonic 06 debacle don't happen (especially with the fact of Elise, a human, kissing Sonic, a Hedgehog, which I don't want to think the implications of)…
Good riddance!

…and Shadow the Hedgehog is more fleshed out and comes out as a polished and better idea than what came out otl, so expect an emotionally complex, more three-dimensional characterization of Sonic ITTL's games that don't go overboard or melodramatic while still keeping him and the gang marketable.
Sounds good!

I've never been a personal fan of Superheroes (outside of Spiderman and Superman for obvious reasons) myself…but I can at least value their cultural legacy and impact they have. However, the cultural impact of an MCU that is killed in its cradle will be absolutely massive in today's culture. The MCU, and to a lesser extent the SW Sequels, led to Disney becoming even more of a juggernaut than it was before them. …
OK, then just leave the MCU alone, but butterfly Disney's purchase of Marvel away. Also keep LucasFilm independent (or at least have some company other than Disney get them as a purchase/subsidiary but take a much more hands-off approach in managing them.)

For The Phantom Menace, aside from keeping:
  • the good deleted scenes/extended cuts from re-releases and
  • the best takes of certain lines/scenes from its various releases,
how would you change/improve the film?

I think I'm going to have to see this timeline's thread once that starts to get a better/more thorough impression of it.

Last edited: