Of lost monkeys and broken vehicles

Hi @Lascaris, I had some free time during these holidays and decided to make two maps of TTL pre-WW2 Europe:
View attachment 706372
01/01/1935
View attachment 706396
31/08/1939
I updated the map in order to account for the independence of the former mandate of Syria (I assumed that Lebanese, Alawite, and Kurdish states became "independent" as well)
The Armenian border with Azerbaijan probably shouldnt look like that considering that border was established only after the first Nagorno Karabakh war. Maybe the claims of the First Armenian Republic along with a longer border with Iran Or just give Armenia the actual nagorno karabakh autonomous oblast and Kurdistansky Uyezd if the earlier suggestion is too much in Armenia's favour.
1280px-First_Republic_of_Armenia.png

Red_kurdistan_1923_1929.png

Last edited:
@Lascaris I would like to ask you some questions about the situation in the Balkans:
  1. Did Italy get all of Slovenia or did they cede a portion of it to Germany and Hungary like in OTL?
  2. Did Hungary take over all of Banat or does "Serbia" own it? (I assume that a puppet state would be set up just like in OTL)
  3. Does Montenegro exist or was it directly incorporated into Italian Albania?
  4. Did Italy annex Dubrovnik/Ragusa or is it Croatian?

Last edited:
@Lascaris I would like to ask you some questions about the situation in the Balkans:
  1. Did Italy get all of Slovenia or did they cede a portion of it to Germany and Hungary like in OTL?
Hungary yes. Germany did not participate in the invasion of Yugoslavia so it hasn't got anything.
  1. Did Hungary take over all of Banat or does "Serbia" own it? (I assume that a puppet state would be set up just like in OTL)
At a minimum they got as much as OTL. Post that any additional claims Hungary may have had at the cost of Serbia have likely been given to it, the Italians needed Hungary more than the Germans did.
  1. Does Montenegro exist or was it directly incorporated into Italian Albania?
It does exist, as the Italian governorate of Montenegro. Incorporating it into Albania would only cause trouble. Besides queen Elena of Italy is Montenegrin.
  1. Did Italy annex Dubrovnik/Ragusa or is it Croatian?
Now that's an interesting question. With Mussolini making the decisions I'm inclined to say yes. Croatia was likely compensated with more land in Bosnia and Serbia.

Part 81
Washington DC, August 1st, 1941

The United States proclaimed an oil embargo against "aggressors" the same day the Japanese army occupied Saigon in Vietnam. While not proclaimed as such it was hardly difficult to read between the lines who was the target of the proclamation. Germany and Italy were under Allied blockade as were the other Axis powers in Europe. There was only a single obvious target...

Over Thessaly, August 3rd, 1941

The quartet of Macchi C202, jumped after the Greek Ierax fighters patrolling. If the Greek fighters looked a little different than the standard birds the Greeks were flying over the last year and a half the Italian pilots didn't notice, since its introduction a few months earlier the Macchi machine had proven superior to every fighter the Allies were flying in the Mediterranean. Pulawski's fighter was the one coming closest but was still a good 30 km/h slower. Then the Greek fighters darted ahead at a 615 km/h they were supposed to be completely unable to make and escaped south towards free Greece. The updated Ierax II with a Merlin 45 engine in place of the Merlin III of its earlier version had just made its presence known to the enemy.

Amman, Transjordan, August 6th, 1941

Emir Abdullah, reviewed the recruits of the three newly raised regiments of the Arab Legion. In their grand majority Bedouin from tribes personally loyal to him, the new regiments would increase the size of the legion from 1,600 men at the start of the war to 6,000 when their training was complete and potentially even more afterwards. Abdullah had ambitions for the future and these did not include a return of the Turks he had helped kick out in the previous war to see them or the mufti of Jerusalem back. And if his idiot nephew Gazi had forfeited his brother had gained in Iraq, he had no intention of seeing it lost to the Hashemites...

Palestine, August 7th, 1941

Moshe Dayan looked at his commander with a mix of indulgence and admiration, but from a safe distance as well, the man for all his undeniable talents and popularity among Jews was stinking from garlic and onions, he had several on a string around his neck and was eating them raw. At least this time he wasn't running around naked. Palmach had been formed with tacit British support back in March after Turkey had joined the Axis. Then Iraq had joined the Axis and the Germans had showed up in force leading Churchill to override British reluctance for purely Jewish combat units and authorize their creation. Wavell had just the man just returned to Cairo from Ethiopia for the task, one already popular among the Jews from his earlier service in Palestine. And thus Odre Wingate became commander of the 1st Jewish brigade group.

Turkish Kurdistan, near Diyarbakir, August 10th, 1941

Another of the Circassian traitors, or maybe he was a Greek for all he knew fell down for exhaustion. A sergeant start kicking him to get up but to no avail, the man remained lying on the ground. The yuzbasi shrugged. His task was to extend the railroad eastwards. If in the process a few or a lot of prisoners died, this mattered little, there were always more where they had come from. The Amele Taburu where not exactly known in the previous or this war for good treatment and as things would have it drew certain types of officers and men, ones that would prefer to play overseer and prison guard to actually fighting for their country. Then his shrug turned to worry as the first explosion rang, there were rumours attacks by Kurdish bandits were growing in frequency over the past few weeks. And then the worry turned to terror as the explosions were followed by the unmistakable rattle of a pair of machine guns. It was over within minutes as his men got systematically mowed down. Then one of his former prisoners now armed with a liberated Mauser rifle noticed him. One more shot rang. The guerrillas their numbers swelled by the liberated prisoners disappeared into the countryside...

Iraq, August 11th, 1941

The 2nd Indian armoured brigade group moved north to its planned positions. Along with the 9th British armoured brigade, the former 4th cavalry brigade, recently converted to armour they were supposed to form the spearhead of the coming operation Paladin...

Teheran, August 16th, 1941

Four weeks had passed from the previous Allied ultimatum. Four weeks in which Reza Pahlavi had done nothing caught between Allied and Axis threats and promises. As might had been expected, the British and Soviets were back demanding Iran to sever relations with the Axis and expel all Axis nationals within 48 hours. Shortly after them had come Erwin Ettel the German ambassador demanding Iran should resist the Allies, in which case Germany would provide military aid, otherwise the Luftwaffe would take matters into its own hands...

Last edited:
Things are heating up in the Middle East and the Pacific is proceeding as in OTL. Looks like Axis's advances in Iraq are about to be reversed as Britain gears up for a proper counteroffensive. I'm curious what the situation looks like in Syria right now, have the French and British managed to halt the Axis advance or are they continuing their slow bloody march? Kurdish resistance seems to be strengthening, which will be interesting to see how effective it'll be. Iran is on a knife's edge right now and I don't think it will end up favoring the Germans. A successful British counteroffensive in Iraq and/or continued Russian gains in Eastern Turkey greatly limit how much of a threat the Axis pose to Iran.

I do not envy Reza Pahlavi. Talk about caught between a rock and a hard place. It really is too bad he doesn't have the military strength apparently to truly enforce Iran's neutrality.

Glad to see that a certain Mr Lawrence is providing valuable lessons to Kurdish guerillas. ..
Oh boy, Iran is between Scylla and Charybdis here.
Happy New Year @Lascaris and to all the readers of this magnificent TL. May you and your loved ones be healthy and joyful !

Last edited:
Glad to see that a certain Mr Lawrence is providing valuable lessons to Kurdish guerillas. ..
Oh boy, Iran is between Scylla and Charybdis here.
Happy Nea Year @Lascaris and to all the readers of this magnificent TL. May you and your loved ones be healthy and joyful !
Best option is to declare war on the Axis. They are able to cause him pain but the Soviets and the British are able to be existential threats.

Best option is to declare war on the Axis. They are able to cause him pain but the Soviets and the British are able to be existential threats.
At this point I hope Iran loses the Azerbaijani majority territories so I hope they try to fight the WAllies.

Seeing the Greeks have better fighters and the Kurds continue their revolt is always fun. The trends that are set will make things very interesting at WWII and after. The wars in the middle East with Greece having a say would pan out differently I hope. Will Greece get Cyprus?

Most likely greece will get Cyprus but not immediately post war...with increased greek participation in the war, with the American public even more pro greek and with greater greek influence in the world maybe the Cyprus issue doesn't get voted against Union in the U.N like otl but instead moves forward to a referendum (which we already know the answer) of course the uk can have some bases in Cyprus and/or crete as compensation but for now this in the future

Moshe Dayan looked at his commander with a mix of indulgence and admiration, but from a safe distance as well, the man for all his undeniable talents and popularity among Jews was stinking from garlic and onions, he had several on a string around his neck and was eating them raw. At least this time he wasn't running around naked. Palmach had been formed with tacit British support back in March after Turkey had joined the Axis. Then Iraq had joined the Axis and the Germans had showed up in force leading Churchill to override British reluctance for purely Jewish combat units and authorize their creation. Wavell had just the man just returned to Cairo from Ethiopia for the task, one already popular among the Jews from his earlier service in Palestine. And thus Odre Wingate became commander of the 1st Jewish brigade group.

Moshe Dayan under Wingate in actual combat role ? I know he served under him pre-war, but now it is different. I hope that the 1st Jewish Brigade Group will be expanded into the Jewish Division. By all that is just, a Jewish Division should participate in the NW Campaign and to be one of the units that break through the Rhine into the heart of Nazi Germany.

The Amele Taburu where not exactly known in the previous or this war for good treatment

The death rate at the Amele Tabutu was significantly greater than that of the Allied POWs building the infamous Burma Railroad. From 1914 to 1918, around 250,000 Greek males had died. From the town of Ayvalik, 3,000 Greeks were drafted to the Labor Battalions. Of them, 23 survived.

Perhaps we might see a different Holocaust in this timeline. Germans and Turks might compare notes on their respective methods of eradication and the Nazis might be convinced that working all (instead of just a part) inmates to death might be the most productive solution. I think it might allow more inmates to survive long enough.

The guerrillas their numbers swelled by the liberated prisoners disappeared into the countryside...

I can imagine TE Lawrence marching his men to the mountains while whistling the Colonel Bogey March.

The 2nd Indian armoured brigade group moved north to its planned positions. Along with the 9th British armoured brigade, the former 4th cavalry brigade, recently converted to armour they were supposed to form the spearhead of the coming operation Paladin...
Is it fair to assume that these are newly-arrived Stuarts?

How many Merlins can Greece produce per month ? And how many Ierax?

Emir Abdullah, reviewed the recruits of the three newly raised regiments of the Arab Legion. In their grand majority Bedouin from tribes personally loyal to him, the new regiments would increase the size of the legion from 1,600 men at the start of the war to 6,000 when their training was complete and potentially even more afterwards. Abdullah had ambitions for the future
leading Churchill to override British reluctance for purely Jewish combat units and authorize their creation. Wavell had just the man just returned to Cairo from Ethiopia for the task, one already popular among the Jews from his earlier service in Palestine. And thus Odre Wingate became commander of the 1st Jewish brigade group.
Holy Butterflies! If previously, we believed to be witnessing radical changes ITTL, in relation to OTL, with the ME and Anatolia turned in an active battlefront, even more than in the last war and with the post war likely Soviet permanent presence there as well as its future political reshaping... Now, this ME post war seems that will be even more interesting, (even if for all those that'd be involved, it'd be in the Chinese sense)…
Especially, after that, forced by the circumstances, the British has had to give up their traditional opposition to the formation (what'd seemed as only the first of many) and deployment of Jewish combat units...
Without mention IMO, the more than probable post war conflicts and trilateral or even, (with the French plus the Soviet) a multisided clash of interests and ambitions, ITTL postwar ME...
But, I'd guess that, chiefly among them would be those that would happen between the Hashemites and the Zionists ones...
Between a bigger and war veteran Arab Legion at the service of the Hashemite Emir/Jordanian political and territorial ambitions and the former British army, Jewish units, which, ITTL, may appear that'd form the nucleus from ITTL future Autonomist militias or even independents Israelis armies.

Teheran, August 16th, 1941

Four weeks had passed from the previous Allied ultimatum. Four weeks in which Reza Pahlavi had done nothing caught between Allied and Axis threats and promises. As might had been expected, the British and Soviets were back demanding Iran to sever relations with the Axis and expel all Axis nationals within 48 hours. Shortly after them had come Erwin Ettel the German ambassador demanding Iran should resist the Allies, in which case Germany would provide military aid, otherwise the Luftwaffe would take matters into its own hands...
Got to love Nazi diplomacy. And of course the Nazi inability to focus on the most important goals. This timeline captures this really well. Very excited to see the inevitable German-Turkish overreach in the Middle East and the defeat that is sure to follow.

What'll happen to China ittl? I hope we see the Nationalists survive in Southern China and the Communists in Northern/central China, with Manchuria added to the Soviet Union as a prize for fighting Japan. Tibet and East Turkestan being their own thing would be fun too.

Holy Butterflies! If previously, we believed to be witnessing radical changes ITTL, in relation to OTL, with the ME and Anatolia turned in an active battlefront, even more than in the last war and with the post war likely Soviet permanent presence there as well as its future political reshaping... Now, this ME post war seems that will be even more interesting, (even if for all those that'd be involved, it'd be in the Chinese sense)…
Especially, after that, forced by the circumstances, the British has had to give up their traditional opposition to the formation (what'd seemed as only the first of many) and deployment of Jewish combat units...
Without mention IMO, the more than probable post war conflicts and trilateral or even, (with the French plus the Soviet) a multisided clash of interests and ambitions, ITTL postwar ME...
But, I'd guess that, chiefly among them would be those that would happen between the Hashemites and the Zionists ones...
Between a bigger and war veteran Arab Legion at the service of the Hashemite Emir/Jordanian political and territorial ambitions and the former British army, Jewish units, which, ITTL, may appear that'd form the nucleus from ITTL future Autonomist militias or even independents Israelis armies.
The ME and Anatolia will be radically reshaped after the war, which will be very interesting. I hope that Israel will get more clay than otl (basically the Zionists are more successful) and take Jordan even though it would be bloody as hell. Anatolia would also have various wars that are just waiting to occur since Anatolia's industrial regions will basically be controlled by the Greeks at that point. An Arab/Turkic coalition against Israel and Kurdistan would be fun to read through, espicially with Greek participation.

I wonder if post cold-war we could see the rise of something like a Black Sea Pact or a 'little NATO' with Greece-Armenia-Georgia? Against whatever Turkey becomes or Russia. Could cause some interesting dynamics in the middle east depending on what happens with Kurdistan/Assyria etc. They're all poised to have quite a bit more oomph than in our timeline...

I wonder if post cold-war we could see the rise of something like a Black Sea Pact or a 'little NATO' with Greece-Armenia-Georgia? Against whatever Turkey becomes or Russia. Could cause some interesting dynamics in the middle east depending on what happens with Kurdistan/Assyria etc. They're all poised to have quite a bit more oomph than in our timeline...
I think a 'little NATO' would consist of Greece's allies in the Middle East and the Balkans (Israel will definitely be part of this alliance), with the Caucasus being relatively recent additions. I'd imagine (at least on the ground) the people seeing the parallels between this alliance and the Eastern Roman empire of old, which will be very fun. Yugoslavia ittl should also be liberated by Greece, which would be very interesting. Yugoslavia will always be a struggle between Croatia and Serbia, so post war Yugoslavia would be very interesting.