Of lost monkeys and broken vehicles

I 'm really curious of how things will develop in Europe. Will the Allies push north from Greece eg up to Thessaloniki and then withdraw the US and ANZAC troops to invade Italy? Because I 'm not sure if they can logistically support two South European fronts while building up in Britain for an invasion in Northern France.
On the other hand, can Germany support these two fronts? Because with a strain and series of defeats for Italy in the Balkans, even with a small scale invasion of Sicily, is probably enough for the Musolini regime to colapse.

BTW, what's going on in Yugoslavia?

I think the greek experience of American officers will lead to a somewhat closer collaboration post-war. Greece is the first place where the Axis onslaught was stopped cold - granted due to prioritizing Barbarossa. I think the Americans will have better appreciation of the greek fighting abilities and the potential of Greece covering NATO's flank.

I guess the US will replace the UK as Greece's not-so-informal patron earlier ITTL, but the relationship will be a much more balanced one than IOTL. We will probably see even greater levels of cultural Americanomania in Greece than the OTL 1950s, but also (quite a departure from OTL) a reverse tendency of Americans with close personal ties with Greece, dating to their wartime experiences.

I guess the US will replace the UK as Greece's not-so-informal patron earlier ITTL, but the relationship will be a much more balanced one than IOTL. We will probably see even greater levels of cultural Americanomania in Greece than the OTL 1950s, but also (quite a departure from OTL) a reverse tendency of Americans with close personal ties with Greece, dating to their wartime experiences.
Well, ITTL Britain is not exactly Greece's patron like OTL; their relationship is probably something like an imbalanced partnership.
If you also take account that almost until 1950 the US policy in Greece was quite respective and democratic, ITTL we have the potential for a genuine and sincere relationship between the two countries which can last until the dissolution of the Soviet block. Especially if Bulgaria and Yugoslavia end up in the Western sphere.

Regarding Americanomania, maybe not exactly that. I mean, IOTL the Greeks were looking up to the Americans, while ITTL they have every right to be proud of themselves too. So, maybe an easier adoption of American lifestyle, yes, but smoothly and deeper regarding the overall modernization of the Greek economy, sociiand politics!

Last edited:
If you also take account that almost until 1950 the US policy in Greece was quite respective and democratic, ITTL we have the potential for a genuine and sincere relationship between the two countries which can last until the dissolution of the Soviet block. Especially if Bulgaria and Yugoslavia end up in the Western sphere.
I'd think even if Bulgaria and Yugoslavia are in the Soviet bloc Greece and the US will have a great relationship since the US and Greece would rely on each other to stop the expansion of the Soviet bloc.

Is anyything happening with Finland atm? I'm not sure but they didn't launch the Continuation War ITTL did they?
They did launch the Continuation war. Not much has changed beyond the Finns starting relatively better off thanks to keeping Viipuri. Also reinforcements that went to the Finnish front in early 1943-44 in OTL being diverted south TTL is not unlikely. Whether that is good or bad for Finland... is a more open debate.

They did launch the Continuation war. Not much has changed beyond the Finns starting relatively better off thanks to keeping Viipuri. Also reinforcements that went to the Finnish front in early 1943-44 in OTL being diverted south TTL is not unlikely. Whether that is good or bad for Finland... is a more open debate.
Inb4 Finland enjoys all the "joys" of being a "People's Democracy" or worse, an SSR ITTL.

I 'm really curious of how things will develop in Europe. Will the Allies push north from Greece eg up to Thessaloniki and then withdraw the US and ANZAC troops to invade Italy? Because I 'm not sure if they can logistically support two South European fronts while building up in Britain for an invasion in Northern France.
On the other hand, can Germany support these two fronts? Because with a strain and series of defeats for Italy in the Balkans, even with a small scale invasion of Sicily, is probably enough for the Musolini regime to colapse.

BTW, what's going on in Yugoslavia?
Logistically even to support one front the allies need to take out Italy. Overall between Ireland, Dakar, Free France and Greece the allies have about 10% more shipping capacity in Europe compared to OTL.

Yugoslavia is mostly unchanged, aside from the Chetniks being relatively more active and of course a Royal government in exile with a large battle hardened army in Greece, composed mostly of Serbs and Montenegrins. Now the big question is how would Tito or for that matter Enver Hoxca react to large western Allied armies showing in their doorstep and wanting to go through Partisan held territory? Particularly if part of said army came from a rival government?

Inb4 Finland enjoys all the "joys" of being a "People's Democracy" or worse, an SSR ITTL.
Hopefully Finland doesn't face that Finland has suffered enough.
Yugoslavia is mostly unchanged, aside from the Chetniks being relatively more active and of course a Royal government in exile with a large battle hardened army in Greece, composed mostly of Serbs and Montenegrins. Now the big question is how would Tito or for that matter Enver Hoxca react to large western Allied armies showing in their doorstep and wanting to go through Partisan held territory? Particularly if part of said army came from a rival government?
Welp Yugoslav Civil war here we go instead of Greek civil war.

Well, ITTL Britain is not exactly Greece's patron like OTL; their relationship is probably something like an imbalanced partnership.

Regarding Americanomania, maybe not exactly that. I mean, IOTL the Greeks were looking up to the Americans, while ITTL they have every right to be proud of themselves too. So, maybe an easier adoption of American lifestyle, yes, but smoothly and deeper regarding the overall modernization of the Greek economy, sociiand politics!
The obvious changes vis a vis America: likely there is no civil war in Greece and the communist party is much weaker hence you have less anticommunist paranoia involved on both sides. The likes of John Peurifoy trying to meddle in Greek politics? That's likely expulsion material.

Post that by 1945 TTL beast is likely starting to look as an alien beast to its OTL counterpart if for no other reason because it's oozing self-confidence, no shock comparable to 1922...

I actually think less Germans reinforcements might be good for Finland. The Finns were already trying to peace out in 1943 after Stalingrad in OTL. If they receive even less help from the Germans in TTL, along with the wind obviously blowing in the Allies favor even more, the Finns might try to peace out even earlier. The earlier the Finns get out the better deal they’re going to get. If they offer terms before Stalingrad is decided there is a decent chance the Soviets accept to focus their energies elsewhere.

I actually think less Germans reinforcements might be good for Finland. The Finns were already trying to peace out in 1943 after Stalingrad in OTL. If they receive even less help from the Germans in TTL, along with the wind obviously blowing in the Allies favor even more, the Finns might try to peace out even earlier. The earlier the Finns get out the better deal they’re going to get. If they offer terms before Stalingrad is decided there is a decent chance the Soviets accept to focus their energies elsewhere.
One can only hope the Finns will have enough foresight to do so

The obvious changes vis a vis America: likely there is no civil war in Greece and the communist party is much weaker hence you have less anticommunist paranoia involved on both sides. The likes of John Peurifoy trying to meddle in Greek politics? That's likely expulsion material.

Post that by 1945 TTL beast is likely starting to look as an alien beast to its OTL counterpart if for no other reason because it's oozing self-confidence, no shock comparable to 1922...
I do wonder if the Generation of the Thirties took a different form in this story, and if they were better able to produce a working synthesis of the Greek and Western mindsests (you know the arguments made by Karabelias etc). A more confident Greece, much more able to link with its Constantinople Roman elements since the communities carrying that civilization have survived, and thus more able to pick and choose how to absorb and what to absorb from the West.

I do wonder if the Generation of the Thirties took a different form in this story, and if they were better able to produce a working synthesis of the Greek and Western mindsests (you know the arguments made by Karabelias etc). A more confident Greece, much more able to link with its Constantinople Roman elements since the communities carrying that civilization have survived, and thus more able to pick and choose how to absorb and what to absorb from the West.
Not entirely certain, exactly how the generation of the 30s was affected. On one hand the Asia Minor disaster was a cataclysmic event permanently affecting Greek national consciousness, there are few events through Greek history of comparable significance. So on one hand you did not have it. Then on top of that the early 1920s TTL may not be so dramatic but still see the effective end of the great idea, is success but still come TTL 1922 there is little more scope for it, aside from Cyprus and the Dodecanese, coupled with mass population movements of Soviet Greeks and the Christian populations east of Asiatic Greece...

Part 109
West of Stalingrad, November 23rd, 1942

Advancing units of the Soviet 21st army met these of the 51st army. The encirclement of Stalingrad was complete. 22 German and 2 Romanian divisions with neatly 300,000 men had been caught in the pocket. The Romanian 3rd and 4th armies and the German divisions that had stood on the way of the Soviet attack had already been shattered.

Berlin, November 24th, 1942

The OKW or at least many in it wanted the encircled German forces at Stalingrad to try an immediate breakout in hoped of escaping. It would likely cost most their material but it was thought or hoped at any rate, that the men would be saved to fight another date. But Hitler was adamantly opposed to the idea. A counterattack would be organized instead to break the encirclement, Erich von Manstein would be brought over from the siege of Leningrad to lead it. But till the encirclement was broken the Stalingrad pocket needed an estimated 750tons of supplies per day, for the German forces to make it through. The Luftwaffe was confident it would be able to provide it by air. A huge fleet of nearly 700 transport aircraft [1] would indeed be gathered over the following weeks but it would fail to transport more than 200 tons of supplies at any time to the pocket.

Domokos, Thessaly, November 25th, 1942

The little town, fell to the Greeks I Infantry division. German and Italian reinforcements had managed to slow down the allied advance to a degree, but the liberation of Domokos signaled the Allied forces breaking through Mount Othrys into the plains of Thessaly. Given the massive Allied advantage in armor this was not likely to prove a good thing for the defending Axis units...

Thessaloniki, December 1st, 1942

The German army, formed Heeresgruppe E to command German forces in the Balkans and the Near East. Field marshal Erwin Rommel would become its first commander. Despite the growing emergency in the Soviet Union more German divisions were moving in the Balkans, with the German advance to 5he Caucasus having failed Ploesti remained Germany's main source of oil while Turkey was her main source of chrome. But no matter the reinforcements the Axis forces were still retreating northwards.

Yokosuka Naval Arsenal, December 1st, 1942

Work on the battleship Shinano, continued unabated. Proposals to suspend construction back in December 1941, had not been accepted after Hood and Prince of Wales had beaten off air attacks against them and it had been required to commit battleships against them. Then back in July it had been proposed after the defeat in the battle of Midway to convert the ship to an aircraft carrier. This too had not passed, the fleet had already lost two Kongo class battleships by this point, two more battleships were slated for carrier conversion and Shinano already too far along in construction, or so it had been thought. With two more battleships lost in Guadalcanal it looked like it had been the right decision.

Chicago, December 2nd, 1942

The world's first nuclear reactor went critical. For four and half minutes, the reaction had to be dampened afterwards and producing perhaps half a watt in power output. But still history was made. The scientists and engineers working on the project remained concerned what their German counterparts were doing. They should not but would learn so only postwar.

[1] No battle of Crete hence a significant portion of the transport aircraft lost there is still available. On top of that no aircraft used moving men to Tunisia. But neither would suffice to significantly alter the results of the German supply effort.

Larisa, December 4th, 1942

The 9th Australian division liberated the city. The Germans, Italians and Bulgarians were in full retreat with rear guard actions trying to gain them time. It was clear the Rommel and general Carlo Geloso the Italian commander in Greece had given up on Thessaly and lively hoped to form a new defensive line on the Olympus. The question was whether they would succeed doing so...

Beirut, December 5th, 1942

Second lieutenant Nguyễn Phúc Vĩnh San received his promotion to lieutenant. The lieutenant had joined the Free French army after helping out in the liberation of Reunion, where he had lived since 1916, back in January.

While the allied breakthrough in thessaly is good news continuing the offense is going to be problematic..aside from logistics the further north they go the broader the frontline is going to get..they need a lot more troops

So, when are due the next harvests in Thessaly?
I guess since its farmlands have been liberated, once they are put back into production to feed the Greek mainland, a certain volume of shipping will be made free, that would otherwise be used to import food to sustain Free Greece. Then, what is to be made of that new shipping available? Ramping up the deployment of Americans in Greece, building up an offensive to break out of Smyrna... I wonder

So, when are due the next harvests in Thessaly?
I guess since its farmlands have been liberated, once they are put back into production to feed the Greek mainland, a certain volume of shipping will be made free, that would otherwise be used to import food to sustain Free Greece. Then, what is to be made of that new shipping available? Ramping up the deployment of Americans in Greece, building up an offensive to break out of Smyrna... I wonder
In the summer to early autumn...the spring wheat was already harvested in the fall..now if the axis took the harvest with them is another matter