Nobunaga’s Ambition Realized: Dawn of a New Rising Sun

The IRL Russian regions of Chukchi, Kamchatka, Magadan, and Khabarovsk (northern half at least) would be ideal.
Yeah these territories would be the what Japan has to take to lock down the sea of Ohtosk.
Not just fun but kinda necessary for the Joseon to remain relevant in light of their bigger and more powerful neighbours.
Yeah, Siberia would be the region that makes the Joseon a powerful nation, the mines and farmlands there would make it very strong indeed.
I’ll get in a chapter about exploration sooner or later, I will promise that.
Ooh, I really would like to read it, it sounds very fun in general!
I, for one, want Joseon to restore Balhae borders. :winkytongue:
if they take all of manchuria it'd be more than the Balhae borders lol

Chapter 101: Asiatic Northern War Part I - Escalation on the Steppes and Seas

Chapter 101: Asiatic Northern War Part I - Escalation on the Steppes and Seas

One of the continuous themes of the war would be the contrast in military tactics, traditions, and equipment between the two sides. Japanese armies bore much similarity to their European counterparts, not only due to the latter’s technological influence on the former but also due to convergent developments within the feudal systems of both and the fact that both endured constant warfare among tens of polities. In both Europe and Japan, pike-armed formations were increasingly transitioning into massed ranks of musketeers and lordly cavalry armed themselves with both melee weapons and early forms of pistols and carbines. By contrast, Ming China and Joseon had mostly dealt with nomadic and semi-nomadic enemies mostly composed of steppe horse archers incapable of taking down fortifications but difficult to tame even with the latest gunpowder weaponry. Although rulers of both realms did advance the modernization of their respective armies, their core purpose remained defensive and as such continued to employ cavalry units equipped specifically to deal with foes like the Jurchens and Mongols. As for the Jurchens, they largely retained their cavalry traditions although the Sinicized Lesser Jin utilized Joseon-style infantry to some degree.​

1biA3PZ-esv6_iDiWKqN8zHD29Og7ZMjewmekHiO8vTmMs6KB2PWV1Z6M2FhhueFokbqCUvOzdy8r_JdfPIIuKnue-Pc9WMPjVeJTEJO5s1H4XiSEudx8CONnDcBdBTwBlX3xqEoYZryVASw-N8q1TU

Painting of a high ranking Jurchen horse archer in ceremonial regalia​

Fortunately, Sakuma Moritora was well-aware of the challenges Japanese ashigaru infantry could face in the steppe environment, having led the Amur intervention himself. In any case, he felt most at home taking charge on the saddle and thus was the perfect choice to be the leading commander ahead of Kaga Nagaaki’s arrival with the bulk of Japanese forces. As he sat down with Bahai and the khan’s military commanders in the temporary Amur capital of Nurgan, the largest Jurchen city on the Amur river, things looked dire for the Amur Khanate. The north had thoroughly been ravaged and the hordes of Gutai, backed by Gyeongseon’s reinforcements, had reached the banks of the Amur River which was lightly guarded on its northwestern end. Albazin, the old Russian outpost, was now under siege and its fall was inevitable without outside intervention. Before that could be done, however, the blockade upon the confluence of the Amur and Songhua rivers needed to be broken. This would have to be accomplished without further reinforcements or sufficient naval support, as it was too late in the year to safely traverse the now frigid waters between Kuroryutsu and Kanazawa. Nevertheless, the river’s banks would enable a steady supply line for the Japanese and Jurchens.

Although it was late in the year and only around 10,000 Japanese were on the mainland, Moritora made the determination to forge ahead and would lead an army of 16,000, half Japanese and half Jurchen. He headed straight to the confluence which centered around a small islet upon which the Jin had begun to erect fortifications. They were still incomplete, however, when the Japanese-Amur army arrived in late November. The predominantly Joseonite enemy force numbered only a few thousand and so sent messengers westwards for reinforcements from Gutai’s main horde. The battle began with the Amur-Japanese army making camp north of the island and beginning to bombard the fortifications with the field artillery that had managed to be brought along. Moritora also ordered patrols of Jurchen cavalry to monitor the enemy’s south and west in case help arrived. Despite the incompleteness of their fortifications, the Joseonites were capable soldiers and held off the Japanese and Amur Jurchens for 10 days. Eventually, Japanese musketeers and artillerymen overcame the enemy and on December 5th, the Joseonites surrendered. Moritora’s men had little time to consolidate their victory for on December 9th, a Jurchen force of 7,000 arrived onto the scene and quickly began a lightning assault upon the Japanese and Amur Jurchens. Characteristically, Moritora rallied his men and those of the Jurchens as best as he could, leading the defense. After a few hours, the Jin were forced to retreat. Although the Japanese-Jurchen coalition army had triumphed, the battle exposed their precarity and for the rest of the winter of 1666-1667, Moritora would concentrate on consolidating his position. Sadly, this cut off any potential aid to Albazin and by the end of the year, it had fallen to Gutai.​

ua11YMqFoP-SM7aFzmXpSPrlJTEEu2ySGeSz8M8imgeibx5wfJwOPJbK-fmUI62No-nUzblaLTflK4QJ175b2gUYtL02I825k2z2PKi4OZYP3MgVwE98oZV8JNImnhOd9dqhHvY2VY_JkIT_9zy8gkI

Blue = Joseon, Brown = Amur Jurchen, Salmon = Japanese​

As Japan could not directly send ships, supplies, and manpower to Kuroryutsu year-round, Azuchi would target Haishenwei, the northernmost warm water port in the area [1]. Being that it was within the Lesser Jin domain, the Azuchi navy would be deployed to capture it. A navy of 10 ships led by Hotta Masanobu (堀田正信) was directed by Naval Shogun Tagawa Seikou to bombard the port before taking it by force, which also took place in early December. An initial vanguard of 8,000 would land soon afterwards, backed by supply ships and led by Sassa Katsutoyo, who was tasked with building up the port’s damaged defenses and taking over the surrounding countryside while they waited for the winter snows to melt. Once spring came, Kaga Nagaaki and the rest of the army would finally land and the Japanese would start spreading out from Haishenwei.

Or at least that was the plan, for events on the sea in early 1667 would make the operation a tall order to accomplish down the line. The Japanese capture of Haishenwei reverberated throughout the enemy ranks, especially in Hanseong. King Gyeongseon now faced demands from Hetu Ala for his realm to involve itself more in the expanding conflict, something he himself had not expected to do so at the start of Gutai’s invasion of the Amur Khanate. The Joseon court was divided on the matter, with more conservative Confucian advisors and bureaucrats advocating for restraint and moderation in the kingdom’s aid arguing against military officials and reform-minded officials supportive of a strong intervention to contain Japan’s growing power in the north. Gyeongseon would initially heed the advice of the conservatives who still retained much influence from the time they dominated the court during the king’s minority. Patrol vessels would be sent out in coastal waters to defend Joseon in case of a Japanese naval attack and gather intelligence on the movements of the Japanese navy.

One of these patrol vessels, however, ended up embroiled in an incident off the island of Tsushima. A captain by the name of Yi Heon was sailing past a cluster of Japanese ships along with another fellow patrol vessel when the Japanese sailors started yelling insults at the Joseonites. In a scare tactic, a few cannonballs were even fired although they purposefully all missed and laughter could be heard, revealing that it was nothing but mockery from the Japanese. An enraged Yi Heon, egged on by his equally insulted subordinates, fired back, this time with the intent of causing damage. A brief naval skirmish followed, where one of the Japanese ships was severely damaged and Yi Heon’s ship was captured by the Japanese. However, the other Joseonite ship escaped back to the peninsula where news of the incident quickly reached Gyeongseon. Incensed by the mockery that had triggered the incident, the king was finally persuaded into engaging directly with the Japanese, ordering his navy to make preparations for a full-scale blockade of the home islands. Signs of the preparations were visible from Tsushima and when they were reported back to Azuchi, daijo-daijin Oda Nobuhiro ordered the realm’s navy to resist any offensive moves by Joseon’s navy after deliberations in both the Sangi-shu and Shinka-in bodies. Yi Heon, the captain whose reckless response had caused this all, would die of illness while still imprisoned in Azuchi later in the year.

Up until this point, Japan and Joseon had hoped to avoid directly confronting one another despite supporting rival Jurchen khanates. The course of the war, the interests at stake, and the temper of one naval captain made this hope an impossibility and the war would quickly expand on land and the seas between the two powers. This would be Japan’s first war against a fellow Asian realm with comparable technological parity in their militaries in nearly 4 centuries.

[1]: OTL's Vladivostok​

Last edited:
Well - that escalated quickly.

It's a direct engagement between Japan and Korea now, so I wonder how far the former will go once they do win the seas; will they invade the Kingdom itself?

Once again, I have the feeling that Korea's writing cheques that its supply lines can't cash...
Well Korea and Japan are both fighting two front wars, but Korea will have the advantage of land supply routes the Japanese-Amur forces can’t attack yet as they are on the back foot for now. The southern front on the other hand will be a bunch of naval battles, with the victor maybe launching an invasion invasion of Jeju or Tsushima and trying to blockade and raid the others core territory.

Well Korea and Japan are both fighting two front wars, but Korea will have the advantage of land supply routes the Japanese-Amur forces can’t attack yet as they are on the back foot for now. The southern front on the other hand will be a bunch of naval battles, with the victor maybe launching an invasion invasion of Jeju or Tsushima and trying to blockade and raid the others core territory.
Counterpoint: Japan's got a pretty big headstart on modernization and logistics, while Korea's spent that same time contemplating their navels, so I'd question the durability of Korea's land routes as well. Sakuma doesn't need to attack the supply lines if they end up overstretched and fail on their own.

Counterpoint: Japan's got a pretty big headstart on modernization and logistics, while Korea's spent that same time contemplating their navels, so I'd question the durability of Korea's land routes as well. Sakuma doesn't need to attack the supply lines if they end up overstretched and fail on their own.
Yes but Japan has to win both the battles at sea and land, while Korea-Jin only needs to win one or the other leaving Japan unable to continue due to logistical issues or a lack of a northern ally.

Yes but Japan has to win both the battles at sea and land, while Korea-Jin only needs to win one or the other leaving Japan unable to continue due to logistical issues or a lack of a northern ally.
Sure, but again, Korea likely has more of a logistical problem overall... and an army that isn't fed well usually doesn't fight well.

I see Japan/Amur keeping their namesake river and most of the coastline, while losing the majority of everything else to the Lesser Jin (which in turn gradually ends up beefing with their suzerain).

Ooh seeing Joseon and Japan kinda walking into the war is very interesting... I wonder how would the Russians get in between them, and who they would ally with at the end. Considering that Vladiovostok is already taken by the Japanese, it does seem like that Japan should be able to keep Vladiovostok supplied while the Joseon should be able to move around the Amur basin with relative ease compared to the Japanese, so I think they both in good positions rn. I think Russia should be the 'kingmaker' in the scenario ittl, with their ally being the one who gets the extra help and maybe win due to it.

I am quite uncomfortable that Vladivostok is called Haishenwei instead of a Korean name like Haesamsi though. The city being Chinese doesn't bode well for Joseon's control over the Amur, and having the Chinese hold it is actually the worst end position that every player in the region (other than the Chinese) could imagine.

I wonder how would the Russians get in between them,
Aren’t The Russians busy with a European war
Considering that Vladiovostok is already taken by the Japanese, it does seem like that Japan should be able to keep Vladiovostok supplied
Not sure how prosperous a Japanese colony next to Hostile Jin and Joseon will be
while the Joseon should be able to move around the Amur basin with relative ease compared to the Japanese,
The Korean probably have the advantage in the south well, the Japanese can just use the rivers of the norther Amur basin
I think Russia should be the 'kingmaker' in the scenario ittl, with their ally being the one who gets the extra help and maybe win due to it.
I don’t know why the Russians would side with a Japanese-Amur alliance
I am quite uncomfortable that Vladivostok is called Haishenwei instead of a Korean name like Haesamsi though. The city being Chinese doesn't bode well for Joseon's control over the Amur, and having the Chinese hold it is actually the worst end position that every player in the region (other than the Chinese) could imagine.
Haishenwei was founded by the Chinese a long time ago (I think in the song dynasty) but was held by the Jin (not the Amur) who have just lost it to the japanese.

I think that's finished already IIRC, Sweden lost a good chunk of it's Baltic provinces towards them and Russia now has a presence in the Baltic sea, but it's likely there will be future wars about control of the region, especially if a Swedish King is feeling vengeful.

Ooh seeing Joseon and Japan kinda walking into the war is very interesting... I wonder how would the Russians get in between them, and who they would ally with at the end. Considering that Vladiovostok is already taken by the Japanese, it does seem like that Japan should be able to keep Vladiovostok supplied while the Joseon should be able to move around the Amur basin with relative ease compared to the Japanese, so I think they both in good positions rn. I think Russia should be the 'kingmaker' in the scenario ittl, with their ally being the one who gets the extra help and maybe win due to it.

It would be the best deal they could get given the situation, probably get some trade and settlement concessions where they can make commerce in the region and have their citizens be able to live in the area but Russia wouldn't actually control the region but left it to the Japanese or Korean to actually do all the duties of ruling the region while Russia just absorbs the benefits without having to put boots on the ground.

It would be the best deal they could get given the situation, probably get some trade and settlement concessions where they can make commerce in the region and have their citizens be able to live in the area but Russia wouldn't actually control the region but left it to the Japanese or Korean to actually do all the duties of ruling the region while Russia just absorbs the benefits without having to put boots on the ground.
Only now you have to endure nomadic neighbors - who will periodically plunder Russian settlements. And this is another headache.

I can’t find the Jurchen/Manchu name and the city was founded by China so I went with that. Surprisingly, looking up old Manchu terms is very hard.

They should just be finished with the Second Northern war, so they should be relatively free in what they could do.
Not sure how prosperous a Japanese colony next to Hostile Jin and Joseon will be
its important for the war at large in general, and if they get a peace treaty I think we'd still see trade between the two states. Wars weren't as total as the wars we have rn, even though I do see them having worse relations for a while.
The Korean probably have the advantage in the south well, the Japanese can just use the rivers of the norther Amur basin
tbf looking at the map the Koreans and Jin has control over the Songha and Nen rivers, and bits of the Amur, while the Japanese would have access to the mouth of the Amur river and the Amgun river. The brown water navy of the Joseon should be something they should be able to build up, and should be able to deal with the Japanese, considering that Japan's blue-water navy shouldn't be able to operate in the Amur basin.
Yeah, I think the Russians will just back the winning horse bc its way too far for them to exert power, and the Joseon and Japan won't be going anywhere, so the Russian colonisation of Manchuria would be something that would be very hard to do too.
Only now you have to endure nomadic neighbors - who will periodically plunder Russian settlements. And this is another headache.
Considering that most of the Russians there will mostly be fur trappers who occasionally farm, they're not exactly defenseless either. I. think we'd see nomadic groups being chased out of Russian lands eventually though.
I can’t find the Jurchen/Manchu name and the city was founded by China so I went with that. Surprisingly, looking up old Manchu terms is very hard.
ah that makes sense. I think the Japanese name Urajio would make some sense though, considering that if anything else the British would've heard of the city from the Japanese first.

If anything, Russian influence should shrink when Moscow finds out they’ve been locked out of the Pacific and stops caring about the Far East.
It's more that they would still want to hunt and sell furs to the Chinese, so Russian influence should still be present.

How present will they be though? It'd probably be minimal, other than a bunch of Cossacks chasing other ppl out.