Base Maps from 550 BC to Modern Day, all in UCS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, it would be very interesting to peek into an alternate universe and see the AH.COM colour debates in a world where the Liberal Democrats had come to power in 2003 and Zhirinovsky was in charge.

Indeed it would.

I was thinking that myself.

Perhaps Beslan (2004) might be the point at which green became yellow.

That's why it's rather vague. I mean Beslan gives the security side of things, but Khodorkovsky illustrates intent on the political side of things.

Well hell, post that if you don't mind. I like to keep a folder where I have all the OTL maps in sequence.

Here you go;

CE 450.png

I'm aware of the compromise, but could someone explain to me why we consider today's Russia to be "conservative" rather than "radical"? Or is it that we actually only use gold for Russia, and just pretend otherwise? (It does seem a little unnecessary to have three colors - there's no reason why the non-Bolsheviks can't be colored gold in the civil war.)

When it comes right down to it's the result of ho happens to have made the map.

Most of the maps from the First half of the 20th century were done by people who use Green for Russian while I and stateless_englishman have done most of the modern maps, and we both use Gold for Russia (as opposed to the separate Soviet Union), and since most people don't want to recolor maps when they're using them for something you have the present situation, where most early 20th century AH maps have Green Russia and most modern ones have Gold Russia.

Also, can someone tell me what the origin of China's green is?

You'd have to ask Thande why he chose it, but it was the first China color and still is used by two groups for different kinds of China, the first groups (which I'm part of) use it for Imperial/Dynastic China in general while the second group use it for Conservative China.

Incidentally the reason China has three colors is because of the Revolutions and Civil Wars where you had Nationalists/Republicans, Communists and Imperialists/Monarchists all existing at the same times at various points and the use of continuous use of Pink for China is to keep it from getting confusing, that is if you used one of the other colors it'd make it looks like somehow one of the other two factions won.

Were the Huns really that big? :eek:

That's actually the territory their's concrete record of it holding, the records of half its borders are scarce to non-existent, which results in some maps showing it twice as large, the time period was also when the Hunnic Empire was its height.

Tannhäuser

Banned
You'd have to ask Thande why he chose it, but it was the first China color and still is used by two groups for different kinds of China, the first groups (which I'm part of) use it for Imperial/Dynastic China in general while the second group use it for Conservative China.

Incidentally the reason China has three colors is because of the Revolutions and Civil Wars where you had Nationalists/Republicans, Communists and Imperialists/Monarchists all existing at the same times at various points and the use of continuous use of Pink for China is to keep it from getting confusing, that is if you used one of the other colors it'd make it looks like somehow one of the other two factions won.

Right, I think it certainly makes sense to use multiple colors for China and Russia. I'm just wondering if there are any circumstances when you would have both green and gold in a map of Russia, and where green came from as China's color, since it seems to have no connection to their flag, uniform, or anything else that I am aware of.

Last edited:
Right, I think it certainly makes sense to use multiple colors for China and Russia. I'm just wondering if there are any circumstances when you would have both green and gold in a map of Russia,

Their were probably during the RCW occasions when you have Monarchists, Republicans and Communists all fighting each other.

Personally I don't use the Green color for Russia, I use the gold for Russia, be it Empire or Republic and have a seperate color for the Soviet Union since it was legally a seperate states, and for awhile in the beginning it put alot of emphasis on the fact that it was'nt Russia.

and where green came from as China's color, since it seems to have no connection to their flag, uniform, or anything else that I am aware of.

I always just figured he made one up for it, since IIRC alot of the European colors, or atleast Britain's, came from the colors of their military uniforms in the past.

I always just figured he made one up for it, since IIRC alot of the European colors, or atleast Britain's, came from the colors of their military uniforms in the past.

Actually, Chinese Pink came first (probably because it was a distinct colour that wasn't being used elsewhere), then Green (good contrast) was added afterwards.

Kurdish-Turkish conflict absent from maps

Having just raided both this thread and the wiki to create a new, multi-layered (70 and counting!) Basemap for myself to play with, I am as always astonished by the level of detail you fine folks strive for in the historical base maps. Kudos!

However, I was wondering why the Kurdish-Turkish conflict is entirely absent from all maps from the 1970s up until the present. Shouldn't the OHAL region, the successive 'security zone' and the claimed independent Kurdistan be shown in some way, if not on the contemporary map then at least one of the historical maps 1975-2000? Especially since many 20th century maps feature the FARC rebellion, Chechen insurrection, Sri Lanka civil war and other similar conflicts.

If this has been discussed before (I looked but couldn't find anything), my apologies in advance. Keep up the amazing work!

Unless they control territory or are disruptive enough to drive government forces out of a region (without controlling it themselves), then no.

The Kurdish conflict in Turkey is primarily a mixture of Terrorist Attacks and ambushes by extremists, many times based outside of Turkey itself.

Unless they control territory or are disruptive enough to drive government forces out of a region (without controlling it themselves), then no.

The Kurdish conflict in Turkey is primarily a mixture of Terrorist Attacks and ambushes by extremists, many times based outside of Turkey itself.

Well, personally I think there's more to it than that (it is after all a large scale secessionist movement which has reached civil-war levels of soldiers/security forces being involved and seen a vast area of the country transformed by villages being razed/people being displaced), but I understand your reasoning when it comes to whether or not to depict it on the map(s).

Anyway, not trying to start a political debate, just curious.

Question:

On the ~1650 era maps such as this one, there's a British claim extended from Albemarle Sound up into the Lower Peninsula and across to the Midwest.

What claim is that, exactly? What were its defined bounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.