Hail, Britannia: A New History

Great to see Patagonia, the distinction between Zaire and the Kongo, the Two Sicilies, Prussia, Turkestan, Tibet, an Indus centred India. Would also love to know more about Norden, Netherlands Nusantara, Morocco, Nigeria and the GEACS.

Last edited:
2024-Hail-Britannia-World-Map-Infographics.png
If I may have a small nitpick about this map, I'd like to note that on the Democracy Index map, British Ovamboland, and what's left of the Dutch East Indies is not properly coloured: Ovamboland is grey, and East Indies are black, neither of which is in the key. Other than that, terrific job, I love this!

Last edited:
Oh, on that note, another nitpick for the map: Ovamboland on the conscription minimap is colored "No information" when it should be "Active conscription, but not universal" like the rest of the UE.
And why is Ovamboland not marked as having same-sex marriage like the rest of the UE? And it's also not marked as part of the Imperial Commonwealth on that minimap! This is starting to get suspicious, what's going on?
If I may have a small nitpick about this map, I'd like to note that on the Democracy Index map, British Ovamboland, and what's left of the Dutch East Indies is not properly coloured: Ovamboland is grey, and East Indies are black, neither of which is in the key. Other than that, terrific job, I love this!

Last edited:
Very interesting, a few things I noticed
  • Based on place names, I'm guessing there is a much larger French/Francophone presence in North America
  • It looks like Elba is a exists and is a monarchy, so I'm guessing its ruled by the Bonapartes
  • There seems to be a China and Taiwan situation with China and Hainan
  • Texas owns a surprising amount of islands in the Caribbean
  • It looks like Russia lost a World War (I'm guessing to Britain and Japan), especially considering the existence of Siberia

There seems to be a China and Taiwan situation with China and Hainan
Seemingly a three-way China/Taiwan situation factoring in Manchukuo. I wonder what dynasty China's under. Surely it's not Qing, they're prolly in Manchuria, but the minimap says it's a monarchy, so...

Also Poland: as a native Pole I have to ask what our monarchy looks like. Are we under a dynasty, or has the elective model from the First Rzeczpospolita been adapted for the modern age somehow?

Sorry if there's just something we're supposed to learn about Ovamboland later and I'm just being annoying, but I would like to note that only the Imperial Commonwealth minimap got fixed, but the Democracy Index, conscription, and LGBT rights minimaps still have Ovamboland uncolored. So, I would just like to ask for confirmation: is this a teaser for Ovamboland later on, or just an honest mistake? Again, sorry if I'm being annoying, I'm just really paranoid

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
So glad to see this returning (even in reboot form)! The map is interesting, it looks like the Empire is more...traditionally Anglospheric in terms of historical territory held (e.g. no Puerto Rico or northern Morocco, but Singapore and Belize are in). Also, California and Texas seemed to have made out with some extraterritorial holdings as well, and are thankfully still in the Commonwealth. Australia's out though, what's with that? Also, there's some weirdness going on with South Africa (not to mention India...geez!)

Thank you :D

Yes the Empire is less expansive than the original, and I think this makes sense in terms of the new narrative of its formation - larger colonies have generally gone their own way, while smaller outposts of Empire have remained. Think a bit like OTL France.

California and Texas did a bit of expansionism in the 19th and 20th centuries.

Australia is still in the Imperial Commonwealth, but yes it's not part of the United Empire.

Yeah South Africa and India are very different and I am very excited about them.

In States by Global Democracy Index, I assume that grey (British Ovamboland) means "No Information" but what does black (in the Netherlands East Indies) mean?

Doh... thank you for catching that. Despite spending hours pouring over the map looking to catch any errors I have missed those. They have now been corrected and the key updated.

Oh, on that note, another nitpick for the map: Ovamboland on the conscription minimap is colored "No information" when it should be "Active conscription, but not universal" like the rest of the UE.
And why is Ovamboland not marked as having same-sex marriage like the rest of the UE? And it's also not marked as part of the Imperial Commonwealth on that minimap! This is starting to get suspicious, what's going on?
Sorry if there's just something we're supposed to learn about Ovamboland later and I'm just being annoying, but I would like to note that only the Imperial Commonwealth minimap got fixed, but the Democracy Index, conscription, and LGBT rights minimaps still have Ovamboland uncolored. So, I would just like to ask for confirmation: is this a teaser for Ovamboland later on, or just an honest mistake? Again, sorry if I'm being annoying, I'm just really paranoid

British Ovamboland is a non self-governing crown colony, and therefore it has a significant divergences from the UE as a whole.

Texas having Cozumel is both bonkers and right up its alley and I'm not sure how to feel about that

Why thank you, exactly the reaction I was hoping for :p

Brazil has been having it rough in most TLs recently

Indeed, but not here. It's a great power and leader of the Summit of the Americas.

They're far from London and have significant populations and land area instead of being colonial exclaves like Singapore or Honk Kong, so it kind of makes sense that they'd become independent Commonwealth realms instead of full members of the Empire.

Precisely.

Man, that Balkans just made me audibly go "what the fuck," it's wild! Based on the Latin Monetary Union, it looks like Montenegro, Albania and Aromania are all firmly in the Italian sphere of influence, and you've also got the 1915 Treaty of London-tier vibes with direct ownership of parts of the Dalmatian coast and the Julian March. You've got Croatia shrunk down to the core region, making me wonder if we've got a Croatia that's linguistically closer to Kajkavian, and on the other hand you've got Banana Serbia (similarly sharing Treaty of London-tier vibes) and Herzegovina-less Bosnia. The only major oddity feels like Banat, but maybe that's inspired by the 1918 Banat Republic.

And that's just focusing on one bit of the map! There's so much more to chew on here across all the info provided.

Excellent :D parts are still based on your ideas from the original, so I hoped you would find it interesting.

Yes Montenegro, Albania and Aromania are firmly part of the wider Franco-Italian-Iberian sphere, and yes the 1915 Treaty of London was an inspiration for some of the borders.

Hadn't considered that with Croatia, but it would certainly make sense to be lingustically closer to Kajkavian ITTL, expecially as it was never part of Serbia/Yugoslavia ITTL. And Banana Serbia is a great meme :p

Yep Banat is indeed inspired by the 1918 republic.

I'll admit that I always found the more convergent original timeline to be a bit charming, but this looks very interesting. Siberia seems interesting since the names seem to show that it's been heavily Japanized, but there also seem to be a few names that imply lingering Russian influence (Petoropaburo, maybe Kagirugin as well). How much of a cultural blend is there here? Also is their monarch just the Emperor of Japan or do they have something else going on?

Why thank you :D

Yep Siberia is a blend of Slavic, Japanese/Asian and Indigenous influences. It's about a third ethnic Slavs, a third ethnic Japanese & Corean, and a third other. Yep the Emperor of Japan is also the monarch of Siberia.

There's plenty of fascinating infomation to be seen in this map!

Here are some of my thoughts:
  1. Why doesn’t Austria-Bohemia have Tyrol anymore?
  2. What’s going up in Nicaragua? Is it in the middle of a civil war?
  3. Is Germany the successor to the German Confederation?

1. Lost in the early 20th century.
  2. Not officially a civil war, but an armed insurgency has led to the deployment of a Commonwealth monitoring force.
  3. Yep.

Good stuff as always! I like how divergent the borders have become, especially the tiny European micronations
  • How did the Philippines became part of the Commonwealth? I assume the Philippine monarch is Charles III (if he even exists).
  • Also, interestingly, Australia and Westralia and NZ became separate from U.E. How did they get to be separate countries while British North America isn't?
  • And Japan having Transamur is new, as well as Japanized Siberia, yet an independent Korea. Definitely interested to know how that became a thing.

Thanks :D that was certainly one of the aims I had with this series to avoid OTL borders as much as possible.

• Like in the original, the British got the Philippines after the Spanish Revolution of the 1860s. Yes the British monarch is the head of state of the Philippines
  • As above, it is down to the way the UE formed ITTL. North America was part of the UE from its founding. Larger colonies like Australia, Westralia and NZ were never given representation in the Commons, and therefore moved towards independence within the Commonwealth during the 20th century.
  • The result of conflicts in the early 20th century, and a change in imperial expansion policy within Japan.

Why is there a Salt Lake City
In the previous version of the timeline, Mormons were still a thing

So that's another mistake I have now corrected.

The Mormons ITTL either don't exist, or are a much smaller/less prominent Christian sect residing in the Missouri River basin and OTL Utah.

Great to see Patagonia, the distinction between Zaire and the Kongo, the Two Sicilies, Prussia, Turkestan, Tibet, an Indus centred India. Would also love to know more about Norden, Netherlands Nusantara, Morocco, Nigeria and the GEACS.

Thank you :D I am very excited to share all those parts of the world with you all.

I LOVE THIS! If you ever need help or have questions with either Castile, Aragon or the Two Sicilies hit me up! I'd love to help if possible!

there's still conscription in the United Empire?
Probably in a similar way to how it works in the US, I guess, where technically there's conscription (the Selective Service), but in practice the US government doesn't use it to recruit anyone because it's unnecessary

Yes exactly. I spoke about it in depth in the original thread. But broadly it follows these principles:

National Service. I haven't fully fleshed out the inner workings, but the general premise is that at some point after their 18th birthday every British citizen is required to undertake two years of "National Service". Some opt for this to be in the main branches or the Navy, Army, Air Force or Coast Guard reserve (a bit like the OTL Territorial Army), while others join their home nations' national militia. The Royal Militias are basically TTL's version of the US National Guard, and are under the command of the home nation governments unless "imperialised" by the Imperial government.

For those who have any reason preventing them from military service, either objection or medically unfit, take part in either the "Civil Defence" or "Civilian Service" aspects. In the former you are trained to assist the emergency services as well as natural disaster relief, whilst in the latter you are involved in infrastructure, health care, welfare, environmental protection, agriculture or development assistance abroad. National Service is arranged around university/college education or employment/apprenticeships. Even if not in a field or combat capacity I feel that makes the average citizen perceive having "skin in the game" in terms of national policy.

It operates along similar lines to the Swiss model.

• Based on place names, I'm guessing there is a much larger French/Francophone presence in North America
  • It looks like Elba is a exists and is a monarchy, so I'm guessing its ruled by the Bonapartes
  • Texas owns a surprising amount of islands in the Caribbean
  • It looks like Russia lost a World War (I'm guessing to Britain and Japan), especially considering the existence of Siberia

Thank you :D
  • Yes indeed.
  • Exactly.
  • Cozumel and San Andres are inhabited territories. Then there is Navassa, Serranilla Bank and Baja Nuevo Bank.
  • Yes they were a major loser in the global conflicts of the 20th century.

I see that China's a monarchy here. I'm assuming that they aren't under the Qing since Manchuria's independent, so which dynasty rules today?
  • There seems to be a China and Taiwan situation with China and Hainan
Seemingly a three-way China/Taiwan situation factoring in Manchukuo. I wonder what dynasty China's under. Surely it's not Qing, they're prolly in Manchuria, but the minimap says it's a monarchy, so...
I assume it's some kind of new Han dynasty

Maybe some kind of neo-Ming revival, or maybe under the Duke of Yen

Yes the Qing are in Manchuria, while the republicans withdrew to Hainan. Both countries still claim all of China.

China is under the Xian (憲) dynasty.

Also Poland: as a native Pole I have to ask what our monarchy looks like. Are we under a dynasty, or has the elective model from the First Rzeczpospolita been adapted for the modern age somehow?

Poland is under a dynasty.

Btw, is African Romance still spoken in northern Africa ITTL?? Do Altava and Tingitania have a Christian majority population??

African Romance is not, but Altava and Tingitania do have Christian majorities.

We'll get there eventually, but I'm wondering
- whether Bharat/ Greater India/ Lahore is a kind of supranational confederation like the OTL EU,
- if Lake Chad, Aral Sea, Qattara Sea are on the map because of chartographistic convention or signs of a generally wetter/ cooler climate,
- what tendencies can we see in TTL, for example does the GEACS plan on expanding to South Asia, the Pacific or even to South America,
- do the South American Hispanic countries have their own separate monarchs or is there some kind of Spanish community,
- what's the motivation behind the republicanism in non first world countries if the most developed nations clearly favour monarchy?

Yeah South Africa and India are very different and I am very excited about them.
Does South Africa have its own separate monarchy?

Also, I assume that India has constituent monarchies?
Poland is under a dynasty.
I assume the dynasty in question is the House of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen, like in the original version of this timeline?
- do the South American Hispanic countries have their own separate monarchs or is there some kind of Spanish community,
Most of them have their own monarchies that are descended from the Spanish royal family.

BTW, I'll be glad to help brainstorm ideas for this timeline if you like.