WI: King Teodosio I of Portugal

Dom Teodosio (1634-1653), Prince of Brazil & Duke of Braganza, was the eldest son of King John IV of Portugal. He died only at age 19 and his death left the throne to his mentally-ill brother Alfonso VI.

Let's say Teodosio doesn't die in 1653: what would his reign look like? Who would he marry? How could that change Portuguese and European history?

Additionnal question: How exactly did Teodosio die? I wasn't able to found much information on him.

According to Wikipedia, he was a cult man, lover of literature and music. He was also very compromised with the independence of Portugal and had a fine military participation on it. So I believe that he would be a nice king, maybe a "Proto-"Enlightned Monarch. If his brother was known as "the Victorious" after the successive sucesseses against the Spanish, so Teodosio could be even more Victorious.

Unfortunately, this go against the 'Curse of Braganza', so he can't survive. :/

According to Wikipedia, he was a cult man, lover of literature and music. He was also very compromised with the independence of Portugal and had a fine military participation on it. So I believe that he would be a nice king, maybe a "Proto-"Enlightned Monarch. If his brother was known as "the Victorious" after the successive sucesseses against the Spanish, so Teodosio could be even more Victorious.

Yeap. Smart kid with loads of potential, well respected among the army, educated by Father António Vieira... that's the recipe for awesomeness.

What a pitty that he was sickly... Had he avoided the tubercolosis he might have died young anyway.

Who would be Theodosio's bride if he were to live longer? OTL, his brothers Afonso and Pedro married Maria Francisca of Savoy, a cousin of Louis XIV, to strenghten Franco-Portuguese relationship (Spain was still a threat to Portugal). Maria Francisca is 12 years younger than Theodosio, so she probably isn't chosen: are there any other French princesses Louis XIV could propose? And what are the other alternatives?
Braganza said:
Technically, Teodosio was the first victim of the curse. So if he survives, maybe there is no Curse of Braganza :p
miguelrj said:
What a pitty that he was sickly... Had he avoided the tubercolosis he might have died young anyway.
How poor was Theodosio's health exactly?

Who would be Theodosio's bride if he were to live longer? OTL, his brothers Afonso and Pedro married Maria Francisca of Savoy, a cousin of Louis XIV, to strenghten Franco-Portuguese relationship (Spain was still a threat to Portugal). Maria Francisca is 12 years younger than Theodosio, so she probably isn't chosen: are there any other French princesses Louis XIV could propose? And what are the other alternatives?
They tried the Grande Mademoiselle when he was 9 and she was 16. No luck.
I also now read that in 1647 Cardinal Mazarin intended to marry him with a daughter of the duke of Longueville (Charlotte Louise, b. 1645 or Marie Gabrielle, b. 1646), providing that.. err.. king João IV would retreat to Brazil and leave Portugal to the regency of the Prince of Condé!

How poor was Theodosio's health exactly?
Can't say. He died from chronic tubercolosis but he was said to be prone to be sick since childhood. All I know is that it wasn't sufficiently bad to make him stay indoors all the time so I suppose it wouldn't be uncanny if he had survived.

They tried the Grande Mademoiselle when he was 9 and she was 16. No luck.
I also now read that in 1647 Cardinal Mazarin intended to marry him with a daughter of the duke of Longueville (Charlotte Louise, b. 1645 or Marie Gabrielle, b. 1646), providing that.. err.. king João IV would retreat to Brazil and leave Portugal to the regency of the Prince of Condé!

IDK much about 17th century Portuguese history, but I'm pretty sure there's no way that João IV would retreat to a colony that at that point was Dutch (it only became Portuguese again at a later date), and give up what he had fought for (admittedly at his wife's famous instigation "Antes rainha um dia/ uma hora que duquesa toda a vida") to another foreigner when they had just thrown one (the Spanish king) out.

IDK much about 17th century Portuguese history, but I'm pretty sure there's no way that João IV would retreat to a colony that at that point was Dutch (it only became Portuguese again at a later date), and give up what he had fought for (admittedly at his wife's famous instigation "Antes rainha um dia/ uma hora que duquesa toda a vida") to another foreigner when they had just thrown one (the Spanish king) out.
It was only the Northeast that was in Dutch hands. Regardless of that, it does seem like an unproposable plan.