WI: French victory at Pavia

The Battle of Pavia is seem as a decisive victory for the forces of Charles V, effectively ending the Italian War of 1521-1526. But...what if the French won at Pavia? Would that be enough to place Milan and Lombardy under French rule?

The Battle of Pavia is seem as a decisive victory for the forces of Charles V, effectively ending the Italian War of 1521-1526. But...what if the French won at Pavia? Would that be enough to place Milan and Lombardy under French rule?

Difficult, but not impossible. Do not forget that the French king himself directed the French´s army, while the Hapsburg one was directed by "simple" generals. if the French capture one of them they cannot ask for a peace in the same way than OTL.

I suspect the war would last a lot longer, because Charles NEEDED to keep the French out of Italy, because it was his fastest connection between the Spanish and Austrian parts of his empire ( the difficulty to connect both was the main reason he divided his empire between his brother and his son )

Last edited:
I don't think it would had changed much. Had Pavia gone the other way, instead of Francis starting the next war, it would be Charles? Just my two cents.

I don't think it would had changed much. Had Pavia gone the other way, instead of Francis starting the next war, it would be Charles? Just my two cents.

And as these Italian Wars go neither the Habsburgs nor the French will accept this right away - there will be another round.