Wi: Coffee targeted as a drug.

Hello guys, so, I'm from Brazil, and one thing we really like is coffee, in fact Brazil alone has 67% of the coffee production in the world, and it is used for drinks, cake, biscuits and even bread.

Something that has a similar hold to a nation culture is coca leafs in Bolivia, and in Bolivia's drug war they tried to target it with America's DEA help, but this like in the same level of trying to ban beer in Germany so it was doomed from the beginning. I was wondering what would have happened if for some reason Coffee got targeted as a drug, like coca leafs got. Could this be justified in some way?

Edit: some things to consider is that there are alternate ways to make coffee, so maybe could this create a market for dandelion coffee and other stuff?

Hello guys, so, I'm from Brazil, and one thing we really like is coffee, in fact Brazil alone has 67% of the coffee production in the world, and it is used for drinks, cake, biscuits and even bread.

Something that has a similar hold to a nation culture is coca leafs in Bolivia, and in Bolivia's drug war they tried to target it with America's DEA help, but this like in the same level of trying to ban beer in Germany so it was doomed from the beginning. I was wondering what would have happened if for some reason Coffee got targeted as a drug, like coca leafs got. Could this be justified in some way?

Edit: some things to consider is that there are alternate ways to make coffee, so maybe could this create a market for dandelion coffee and other stuff?
It happened in Yemen in the 8th century when coffee was first introduced outside Africa.

If any government seriously tried to crack down on coffee after it had been popularized, there would be blood flowing in the streets.
Like the ottomans or the yemeni imanate which both did it before it took off. Coffee also has the advantage that half the bureacrats involved in the crackdown would be only functional or using it to self medicate insomnia or frenetic 24/7 schedules

Like the ottomans or the yemeni imanate which both did it before it took off. Coffee also has the advantage that half the bureacrats involved in the crackdown would be only functional or using it to self medicate insomnia or frenetic 24/7 schedules

I assume we're talking about after it took off though

either a ritalin epidemic or increase chocolate and sugar intake to compensate so higher diabetes and the eight am grandparent deaths never happen. Cramming culture never happens.

Last edited:
Think of the rate of profit on coffee from Canada smuggled into the US.
What if the US try to press the world to ban coffee like they did with weed? Imagine them asking the brazilian president to ban coffee?

If any government seriously tried to crack down on coffee after it had been popularized, there would be blood flowing in the streets.
And I would help
*gets shotgun*

For the United States - maybe a significantly larger and more politically powerful Mormon church?
Expand on that plox

Sweden whilst prohibited coffee on 18th century but it didn't last long.

But after 1900 coffee prohibition in many countries would be impossible. You think that alcohol prohibition in some contries was unpopular? Then imaginate how unpopular coffee prohibition would be. Such politicians wouldn't are elected anymore.

Sweden whilst prohibited coffee on 18th century but it didn't last long.

But after 1900 coffee prohibition in many countries would be impossible. You think that alcohol prohibition in some contries was unpopular? Then imaginate how unpopular coffee prohibition would be. Such politicians wouldn't are elected anymore.
what if instead of prohibition its heavily regulated? a la the apopcryphal french butter croissant law that doesnt exist.

Take prohibition as an example. Violence, yes. More than alcohol prohibition? I dunno. I guess it really depends on the country. China could do this no trouble. A more interesting prospect in a form of OPEC for coffee growers. Organization of Coffee Exporting Countries if you will. What then if they decide to embargo the rest of the world?

Take prohibition as an example. Violence, yes. More than alcohol prohibition? I dunno. I guess it really depends on the country. China could do this no trouble. A more interesting prospect in a form of OPEC for coffee growers. Organization of Coffee Exporting Countries if you will. What then if they decide to embargo the rest of the world?
I think it would have more violence since children drink coffee too, plus you don't have as many derivatives from alcohol as you do with coffee, you cannot make a "beer cake"

I think this short video may help further people's understanding of the importance of coffee to Brazil. :)