WI: Alternate indonesian New Order Under Ali Sadikin

Hello, friends.

One of the rather less-touched scenario in this forum is that Ali Sadikin, the 7th Governor of Jakarta-on whom always credited as the "Father of modern Jakarta", with his successful projects and reforms.

He's also notorious for legalizing alcohol, gambling and prostitution during that era, for the taxes.

It is also known that Ali Sadikin was one of Soekarno's favourite colleague, on whom Ali Sadikin is known for having a chance on the Presidency.

Now, WHAT IF, in a scenario where Ali Sadikin managed to became the president (Soeharto dies early, for example, or even a Soekarnoist coup...)...

He instead assumes a dictatorial role over the nation? What would happen next, and the full extent impact of his presidency?

Wow, I totally missed this thread.

Regarding the manner in which Bang Ali gets to power, if Soeharto's early death is the way, we can have Soeharto die of complications during a gallbladder operation which he had in OTL 1975. Hamengkubuwono IX becomes president until 1978 then Ali Sadikin gets elected as president. Otherwise, Soeharto mishandles the Pertamina Crisis in 1975 that he is removed from office (constitutionally or otherwise) and the Army, not being able to decide who amongt them should replace Soeharto, decides to back Ali Sadikin as a compromise candidate who is an ABRI member but belongs to the Marine Corps.

Regarding an Ali Sadikin Presidency, I think he will continue Soeharto's economic development but will be wanting economic development to be done more cleanly (less corruption) or at the very least, at a faster pace. Ali Sadikin believes Soeharto is too cautious in conducting economic development and has taken a verbal shot at Soeharto about this (https://books.google.co.id/books?id...&q=ali sadikin alon alon asal kelakon&f=false).

One likely impact of an Ali Sadikin Presidency will be an earlier rehabillitation of Soekarno.

The question is how long Ali Sadikin would last? This will depend on the Army's acceptance of a President from Marine Corps and/or Ali Sadikin's ability to maneuver himself vis a vis ABRI.

One likely impact of an Ali Sadikin Presidency will be an earlier rehabillitation of Soekarno.
Especially, it will be THAT really early tho.

The question is how long Ali Sadikin would last? This will depend on the Army's acceptance of a President from Marine Corps and/or Ali Sadikin's ability to maneuver himself vis a vis ABRI.
Despite all of things that might challenge him, isnt Bang Ali is a rather strongman-too by archytype? i mean dude's could also start a cult of personality too.

I mean OTL 2018 always hailed him as the best governor, to the point there's a joke of necromancy-ing the guy from the grave to rule Jakarta once again.

I think Ali Sadikin can be a strongman. He’s got the intimidation factor going for him and the nation will be a more disciplined place as a result. But he runs the risk of stepping on too many toes ala Ahok and having people just waiting for him to make a slip.

I think Ali Sadikin can be a strongman. He’s got the intimidation factor going for him and the nation will be a more disciplined place as a result. But he runs the risk of stepping on too many toes ala Ahok and having people just waiting for him to make a slip.
He actually might legalize alcohol and prostitution and gambling nation-wide, honestly.

Although this brings me into the topic of foreign relations etc. under his rule..

What if he adopted the Iranian style, gambling for property, houses, cars instead of money to appease the Muslims?

The Iranians got around the Muslim ban on gambling by having prizes not money. That made it semi halal.
i dont think so. Sadikin literally goes full "fuck you" to the Muslims, and willing to fuck them over during is governorship.

Heck dude's stated he's willing to visit hell haha