What kind of peace would Napoleon impose on Austria and Prussia if he were to win the War of the Sixth Coalition?

Assume that, following the failure of the invasion in Russia, a Sixth Coalition against Napoleon still forms, with Prussia and Austria among them. However Napoleon somehow manages to win anyway, say because more of the Grand Armee ends up surviving the campaign into Russia, nevermind how exactly but assume that his victory in the war is convincing, and he ends up occupying large swathes of the Habsburg Empire and of Prussia, the remainder of their armies unable to challenge them and the Russian armies are forced to pull back unable to free their allies' lands. Possibly Vienna and Berlin are also under occupation. At this point the defeated powers sue for peace. Napoleon is in a position to impose a very harsh peace. But how harsh would it be?

Austria has declared war on France 5 times within the preceding 20 years, and ITTL was defeated all 5 of those times. It's probably clear to Napoleon that they can't be trusted at this point, and he may be tempted to completely dismantle the Habsburg empire to avoid any future conflict coming from that region, but even though personality-wise it would suit Napoleon to do that practically it has a lot of problems: first of all, that kind of harsh peace imposed on a defeated power is almost unheard of in contemporary European politics and may alarm every other state including his own allies; secondly, his wife is a Habsburg princess. So the Austrian will have to give some concessions, probably Galicia goes to Warsaw, and the Illyrian Provinces expanded. But what else? And how does he make sure the Austrians don't betray him again?

Prussia is a slightly different matter. I think it's much likelier that this country goes to the chop. There was fear this might happen already after the Prussian failures in the Fourth Coalition, and while Napoleon satisfied himself with "only" reducing Prussia's size and stationing garrisons on its territory, in part because he didn't want to humiliate the Czar who was Prussia's ally, he felt personally betrayed by the Prussians and their failures in battle led him to totally look down upon them. If they're defeated again in the Sixth Coalition, Napoleon might not be so lenient. If he does decide to completely dismantle Prussia, what happens to its territories? Silesia - to Warsaw maybe, or perhaps to the Habsburgs to sweeten whatever deal he imposes on them? East Prussia - also to Warsaw? Is carved into a new state, and if so rules by whom? Perhaps given to the Russians to entice them to sign a favorable peace? And what about Brandenburg proper, would the Hohenzollerns still keep it as a rump state or would Napoleon install someone else (who?) on its throne?

There was a timeline with an extremely similar POD called Continental Crisis where Austria is basically completely partitioned , losing all of Southern Austria and retaining a small northern portion around Vienna. Imo this is a bit too harsh. Napoleon could theoretically form a greater Illyria and take more of Slovenia. France wouldn’t hold on to its empire forever, but knowing Napoleon’s ambition, he would want to carve out as much as possible from Austria. Let’s say that somehow France survives to 1848. As for Prussian Silesia and to an extension the remainder of Austrian Galicia he would likely annex into Warsaw. (I know, not very original)

Though a Bonapartist rule over all of Austria proper is unlikely, it could be possible. Francis could be deposed and replaced by Napoleon, but imo it’s unlikely, Russia wouldn’t allow it.

I don’t much about this period so feel free to correct me, and yes I know this POD isn’t the most likely.

Last edited:
I know only about some proposal of independent Hungary (not sure how serious Napoleon was, and Hungarian response was, as far as i know, pretty cold).
More of it are pure speculations on my part. As you mentioned, Galicia going to Warsaw seems natural (but tsar wouldn´t be happy about this, assuming Russia isn´t totally criplled, which probably isn´t... so maybe another part of eastern Galicia - and Bukovina too? - give to Russia?)
If you want to go further, you may (re)create independent Bohemia (though its inhabitants probably won´t be more enthusiastic about it than OTL Hungarians) or give it to some of his vassals (Bavaria? maybe in exchange for northern Tyrols? or Saxony, in exchange for Poland/Warsaw?)
Maybe even tears some other part of Alpine land (rest of Carinthia or partly Slavic parts of Styria to Illyrian provinces? Upper Austria to Bavaria?)
On the other hand, as you already said, Habsburgs are also Napoleons relatives, and their total destruction and humiliation upset Russia and also may alert Napoleon allies (not sure about later).
Not sure if thats make sense, at this point, but you may also go with Bonaparte-Habsburg alliance. Apart of return of Illyria or Silesia, you may also offer some future concessions in the east - northern Serbia, Bosnia, Valachia (there were some such speculations OTL, I believe?), maybe even at the expense of Russia? (return of Tarnopol, possibly further expansion to east, Podolia, Volynhia?) - I don´t know in which shape is Russia there.

I know only about some proposal of independent Hungary (not sure how serious Napoleon was, and Hungarian response was, as far as i know, pretty cold).
More of it are pure speculations on my part. As you mentioned, Galicia going to Warsaw seems natural (but tsar wouldn´t be happy about this, assuming Russia isn´t totally criplled, which probably isn´t... so maybe another part of eastern Galicia - and Bukovina too? - give to Russia?)
If you want to go further, you may (re)create independent Bohemia (though its inhabitants probably won´t be more enthusiastic about it than OTL Hungarians) or give it to some of his vassals (Bavaria? maybe in exchange for northern Tyrols? or Saxony, in exchange for Poland/Warsaw?)
Maybe even tears some other part of Alpine land (rest of Carinthia or partly Slavic parts of Styria to Illyrian provinces? Upper Austria to Bavaria?)
On the other hand, as you already said, Habsburgs are also Napoleons relatives, and their total destruction and humiliation upset Russia and also may alert Napoleon allies (not sure about later).
Not sure if thats make sense, at this point, but you may also go with Bonaparte-Habsburg alliance. Apart of return of Illyria or Silesia, you may also offer some future concessions in the east - northern Serbia, Bosnia, Valachia (there were some such speculations OTL, I believe?), maybe even at the expense of Russia? (return of Tarnopol, possibly further expansion to east, Podolia, Volynhia?) - I don´t know in which shape is Russia there.
The more I think of it, the more likely it seems that Austria wouldn't be partitioned (just seems impractical on all accounts) but just reduced in size. Not an original solution I know, but I guess there's no avoiding that. I think shaving off Galicia and the rest of Croatia and Carinthia seems reasonable as far as territorial concessions go, with the major concessions Austria would give being economic, military, and political.
When it comes to Prussia, I think Silesia going to Saxony seems like a good idea. Would connect it to Warsaw while also rewarding a loyal ally.

The more I think of it, the more likely it seems that Austria wouldn't be partitioned (just seems impractical on all accounts) but just reduced in size. Not an original solution I know, but I guess there's no avoiding that. I think shaving off Galicia and the rest of Croatia and Carinthia seems reasonable as far as territorial concessions go, with the major concessions Austria would give being economic, military, and political.
When it comes to Prussia, I think Silesia going to Saxony seems like a good idea. Would connect it to Warsaw while also rewarding a loyal ally.
Yes, surviving Austria seems to me more likely.
But if you want it partitioned, go with it, I guess, even if it would be ASB.
I don´t know, what is status of Russia here, which would be crucial.
Family ties - Napoleon could be really pissed on his father-in-law (do we know some Nappy´s OTL reactions or remarks in regard of Austria after 1812?) - after all, he dethroned his own brother (of course, thats not the same)

I was kinda wondering if one of Napoleon's sisters, Elisa or Pauline, could maybe be given a slice of the pie. Brandenburg if the Hohenzollerns are deposed, or maybe parts of the Habsburg empire to rule as their own kingdom. Caroline and Murat got Naples after all so why not.