What if Mel Gibson destroys the Death Star?

Or, what if Mel Gibson was cast as Luke Skywalker instead of Mark Hamill?

Let's say the POD is Gibson decides to take a year-off between graduating high school and going to Australia's National Institute for the Dramatic Arts. So, circa 1974 he travels to his family's homeland* for a working holiday. Let's say he hitchhikes from upstate New York (where he's staying with family friends) to NYC that summer, and for a lark decides to audition for some small acting part. He gets it, delays returning to Australia**, and is working in California when Lucas is casting Star Wars.

So, the young Mel is advised by his agent to read for a part with the acclaimed director of American Grafitti. George Lucas interviews Gibson before he sees Hamill--he is impressed, and thinks this guy is perfect. He has it. There's no need for anyone else to audition...

I think young Mel is perfect as Luke. After all, Max Rockatansky and Skywalker are very similar in a 'Hero with a thousand faces' kind of way, and Gibson is several years younger than he would be in OTL when he made Mad Max. He's just the right age to play our teenage hero.

The movie that is later known as Episode IV: A New Hope is filmed and released to the same acclaim it would be in OTL. It's a monster hit, it will reshape the landscape of popular cinema.

But things will start to diverge at this point. Gibson is a confessed alcholic, and without the discipline he would gain at NIDA and in Australia's low budget film and TV industry he might not adapt well to being an overnight worldwide success in 1977 (seven years before his first Hollywood movie in OT). I assume that Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi go ahead as planned. But Gibson will be living a pretty extreme life by the third installment.

(Though I suppose Carrie Fisher was on stronger medicine than alcohol at this time.)

Assuming he doesn't drink himself to death during the eighties or early nineties, I think Gibson should have a bigger career than Hamill did.

Now, as we all know, our star in OTL is pretty controversial.

What are the effects of having the Star Wars franchise linked to an ultra-conservative, anti-semitic religious fundamentalist? How does pop culture deal with a guy capable of producing The Passion of the Christ as the cinematic hero of so many of our childhoods?

(BTW, I don't think the absence of Gibson from the Mad Max trilogy would have a major effect, at least not until Beyond Thunderdome. The first two movies were never intended as star-vehicles for Gibson, and I don't think anyone in this country has ever seen them as such.)

*The United States of America, of course.

**It's the seventies, man. Even if he can't get back into NIDA, as long as his marks were good enough he can still go and study drama in any Australian university free of charge.

So, Mel Gibson as Luke Skywalker? Does this mean we actually get Al Pacino as Han Solo? It nearly happened, you know.

So, Mel Gibson as Luke Skywalker? Does this mean we actually get Al Pacino as Han Solo? It nearly happened, you know.

I vaguely remember that, but I think that's way too improbable. George Lucas isn't that original--it's easier to see him casting a more conventionally handsome actor in a role.

I think that if his early career and life were that different, then his later career and life would be so different as to include no Passion of the Christ or similar films.

Hendryk

Banned
One wonders what Mark Hamill's career might have been. In OTL he never got over playing Luke Skywalker.

I think that if his early career and life were that different, then his later career and life would be so different as to include no Passion of the Christ or similar films.

Yeah, that particular film may be butterflied away. The same with highly public anti-Semitic outbursts.

But on the other hand, the son of Hutton Gibson would still most likely have his beliefs.

The apple never falls far from the tree.

I suspect Gibson would give the Luke character an edgier and more morally ambivalent feel than Hamill. I think it might change the dynamic of the relationship among Han, Luke, and Leia - in this TL, Luke would be more of a young Han Solo rather than the innocent kid created by Hamill. In some ways, this might be good - it would make it slightly more believable that Luke is Vader's son.

Any predictions regarding the future effects on Mel's carreer are pretty much impossible. Frankly, if he stuck around for the Star War sequels he might probably become just another performer created by the Lucas machine, but quite possibly the most successful. Who knows, rather than Ford, Mel might become "Indiana Jones". He might well still do the Lethal Weapon movies. Hard to imagine him becoming the auteur of experimental films like Passion and Apocalypto, but his light-hearted chick-flick acting/directing stuff of the 1980's and 1990's would probably fit right in. There is that thing known as raw talent. Mel has more of that than all of the main actors in Star Wars put together. How's this for a thought? - when Lucas gets around to producing the prequel trilogy, he asks his good friend Mel Gibson to write and direct them?

I suspect Gibson would give the Luke character an edgier and more morally ambivalent feel than Hamill. I think it might change the dynamic of the relationship among Han, Luke, and Leia - in this TL, Luke would be more of a young Han Solo rather than the innocent kid created by Hamill. In some ways, this might be good - it would make it slightly more believable that Luke is Vader's son.

I think Mel/Luke would be darker than Mark/Luke, but that should take him away from Harrison/Han, shouldn't it? (He's pretty grim in 'Mad Max'.)

Hell, he might play it like a more successful version of Hayden/Anakin. But it's really still all up to Lucas at this point. He's calling the shots.

Since the Death Star is staffed by mostly British officers I'd imagine he'd be even more gung-ho about blowing it to smithereens :p

He was even lousier at hiding the accent in his earlier movies, so I can see some difficulties with suspension of disbelief if Lucas doesn't give the aunt and uncle similar Aussie accents.

Star Wars has destroyed the acting careers, or potential acting careers, of just about everyone employed in the films. The only actors who are unaffected are those who already had an entrenched career, such as Alec Guinness or Peter Cushing, or those who didn't portray a cartoon/cardboard cutout of a character, such as Harrison Ford. Everyone else was screwed because the popularity of the films essentially typecast them.

I don't think Mel Gibson would have escaped that.

He'll be younger than he was for Mad Max, he won't have had the schooling in did, and he'll be head over heels in a large Hollywood production. That means he won't or can't stand up for himself or any possible "darker" interpretation of the Luke character leaving Lucas' simple and simplistic "Mary Sue" to make it to screen with the same consequences.

Gibson is more talented than Hamill, however typecasting is ferocious and the list of actors doomed by it extremely long.

Bill

He was even lousier at hiding the accent in his earlier movies, so I can see some difficulties with suspension of disbelief if Lucas doesn't give the aunt and uncle similar Aussie accents.

No worries mate. If Lucas wasn't bothered by the fact that the accents of millions of cloned stormtroopers switched from New Zealander to Californian between III and IV, he's hardly gonna care about that!

No worries mate. If Lucas wasn't bothered by the fact that the accents of millions of cloned stormtroopers switched from New Zealander to Californian between III and IV, he's hardly gonna care about that!

Apart from the fact that it's obvious that stormtroopers aren't the same as clones, and the EU reinforces this by having them being from different templates anyway. :p

(okay, okay, I digress, let's get back the point. Um...as someone said, we may have more Brit-bashing, so the stormtroopers will likely have British accents as well as the officers--cockney, anyone?

Or, what if Mel Gibson was cast as Luke Skywalker instead of Mark Hamill?

Let's say the POD is Gibson decides to take a year-off between graduating high school and going to Australia's National Institute for the Dramatic Arts. So, circa 1974 he travels to his family's homeland* for a working holiday. Let's say he hitchhikes from upstate New York (where he's staying with family friends) to NYC that summer, and for a lark decides to audition for some small acting part. He gets it, delays returning to Australia**, and is working in California when Lucas is casting Star Wars.
Wouldn't he have to have some sort of visa/work permit?

I can just imagine the filming stopping half-way through as INS deports him...

Last edited:
Why would the American Mel Gibson need a work permit to work in the USA? :confused:
'cause he's an Aussie, everybody knows that:) OK, so looking up the FACTS, he was born in the States and moved to Australia as a kid. Humph! facts...grrr..

OK, so I was wrong! (not the first time, I'm afraid)

One wonders what Mark Hamill's career might have been. In OTL he never got over playing Luke Skywalker.

Actually Mark Hamill opted to perform in stage productions rather than screen ones in an effort to not be type cast.

On a different note, simply because Gibson auditions for the role, I'm not entirely sure he would be cast as Skywalker, since I'm not entirely sure he could pull off the starry eyed farm boy. However he may have been able to do it, he has never been in a role that required a similar portrayal.

Who knows, this might have reversed the fortunes of Mark and Mel.