Watching From San Diego - A Two for One July 20th 1944 TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
American July 20th PoD
Democratic National Convention - Chicago, July 20th 1944
6578904_1000x.jpg

President Roosevelt's nomination to the Presidency was never in doubt. The two term tradition had been shattered. WWII was being won slowly but surely, at least in Europe. The New Deal was cemented as an economic reality. The only reason Roosevelt was unable to bask in glory at the Convention was because of his visit to San Diego, related to the Pacific Front. Unfortunate, but an incumbent war time President has his duties. Roosevelt won the ballot practically unopposed, with only a few dozen delegates supporting the not-running Senator Harry F. Byrd.

The Presidential candidate was easy, but however, the Vice Presidential candidate was not. Henry Wallace was popular with voters, but not so much with party bosses. Roosevelt's already frail health began to deteriorate further. While the public did not mind Wallace, the conservative elements of the Democratic Party found him too left wing. If Roosevelt died, that makes Wallace President. The conservatives loathed the idea. Popular sentiment be damned, they had to find a way to free themselves of that concern. Wallace had to go.

Democratic Chairman Robert Hannegan was preparing to enter negotiations with the other leaders of the party. He revealed that Roosevelt would be fine with either Senator Harry Truman or Associate Justice William O. Douglas. The lack of a single replacement for Wallace as Vice President allowed his supporters to filibuster during the Convention. They flooded the delegation floor and let their voices be heard. They even began playing the Iowa song, fitting given Wallace's home state was Iowa. Deep down, it proved that the common man did not share their concerns. "We Want Wallace!" the people shouted. Maybe if the song stopped, the momentum would stop too. The bosses prepared to stop, until a friendly man approached them.

It was Hubert Humphrey, the man responsible for the merger of the Democratic and Farmer-Labor parties in his home state of Minnesota. He was also an ardent supporter of Roosevelt's reelection campaign. These credentials, the leaders thought, could turn the convention around and secure some replacement for Wallace. However, Humphrey refused to budge. He politely explained why keeping Wallace was the right choice. According to Humphrey, not only was it right to retain Wallace as his popular support was so overwhelming, keeping the Vice President set a tone of consistency to America. If Roosevelt replaced Wallace with Truman or Douglas, it would incite concern of indecisiveness about the wartime President. Of course, the leaders asked why Roosevelt did not keep John Nance Garner in 1940, in that case. Humphrey highlighted America had not entered the war, and also that Garner opposed Roosevelt's third term; Wallace did not. "Wallace has been loyal to the President these past four years. Do you really want to betray loyalty?" Humphrey asks.

That question pierced the minds of the Democratic party bosses. Maybe Humphrey had a point. None of them wanted Roosevelt to lose the support of the people. Maybe, just maybe, the answer was cave and pray for the best. At the conclusion of the conversation, Hannegan sighed, nodded, and shook Humphrey's hand. "Fine, you convinced me, son. Come hell or high water, we must keep the Democratic Party consisted and united." When the bosses revealed the compromise to the Convention public, the protesting turned into applause. Though a large segment of the Convention bosses and delegates became enraged, the common man won at the end of the day. It seemed like Wallace would be a shoe in the next day, come the official nomination for Vice President.​

German July 20th PoD
Wolf's Lair, Germany - July 20th, 1944
images

The plan was set in motion: to kill Adolf Hitler. Klaus von Stauffenberg and his fellow conspirators decided that Hitler's guidance had destroyed Germany and its chances for victory in the war. The Soviets were marching into Poland and Romania from liberated Belarus and Ukraine, the western Allies succeeded in a Normandy landing, and the Italians failed to march back southwards. Objectively speaking, Germany was in danger of losing. This could not happen. Maybe with new leadership, preferably leadership dominated by military men, the Wehrmacht could turn the war around. The Reds would not surrender, but maybe the Allies would negotiate a peace. That had to wait. Right now, killing Hitler was the first step.

Stauffenberg placed the bomb inside of a briefcase, and placed the bomb strategically near Hitler. No one knew Stauffenberg's dirty secret. Hitler, Stauffenberg, and the twenty officers present talked for a while. Eventually, Stauffenberg left the room to answer a phone call. During Stauffenberg's absence, Colonel Heinz Brandt noticed the briefcase and blinked. He thought to himself "why did Klaus leave his belongings? I don't want to interrupt the Fuhrer, so I will just kick it away and remind myself to return it to Klaus after the meeting." He lunged down to grab the briefcase, but Hitler stopped him.

"Colonel, is something the matter?" Hitler asked sternly to Brandt. The Colonel stuttered as he talked, standing back up. "No, my Fuhrer. I just noticed Colonel von Stauffenberg left his briefcase and I went to-" "How kind of you, but leave it. If von Stauffenberg wants his briefcase that badly, he will return to pick it back up. I require your undivided attention on this matter. We need to turn this war around so Germany can reclaim her rightful place as Europe's hegemon." "But sir, Kl-" Hitler sighed and stared. "Do I need to repeat myself?" "No, my Fuhrer. I apologize." Hitler grinned at the submission and resumed his speech. "Well, gentlemen, the Americans and British have mounted into Normandy after tricking us with a false Calais assault. We must repel these troops back across the Channel to prevent the Judeo-Bolsheviks from using this as-"

Hitler was interrupted by an explosion, coincidentally coming from the discussed briefcase. The Fuhrer was incinerated near instantly, thanks to his positioning in the blast. The same went for Brandt, Hitler's would-be savior and one who never truly realized it. The only person who was relatively uninjured was SS representative Heinrich Fegelein, who immediately began trying to clear the rubble. "My Fuhrer? Alfred? Heinz? Anyone?" The man shouted. Fegelein saw someone driving away from the scene, and it looked like Stauffenberg. "Klaus? Klaus?!" He shouted out. Stauffenberg refused to answer, and Fegelein began to suspect the worst: that Stauffenberg set the Fuhrer up.

"Take me to the airport so we can fly back to Berlin. I have an important announcement to make to Germany." Stauffenberg said with a grin to his driver. The Colonel gazed back at the destroyed Lair, seeing little, if any, sign of life. Did he pull it off? Was the Fuhrer actually dead?" Klaus prayed that it was so, because if Hitler lived, the whole plot will fall apart. Stauffenberg wrestled with this internally the entire time, repeatedly assuring himself. The Colonel eventually returned to the Benderblock, where his fellow conspirators holed up for their operations. The self-doubt Stauffenberg was dealing with faded entirely as he walked in.

"Colonel, it seems you pulled it off. Fegelein and the other survivors have reported that Hitler is dead. The Fuhrer is dead, long live Germany!" General Erich Fellgiebel yelled with glee. Stauffenberg sighed in utter relief, hugging the General. "Fantastic, then that means we are on the right track! Quickly, gentlemen, we have plenty to still accomplish." The General nodded, and executed the next steps of the plan. German officials were notified nationwide. Arrest warrants were to be carried about against all SS officers, disobedient Wehrmacht officers who remained loyal to the deceased Hitler, all major government officials in Hitler's Cabinet, and the compliance of military governors to keep the war fronts stable. Operation Valkyrie was a success.​

Wolf's Lair, Germany - July 20th, 1944
images

The plan was set in motion: to kill Adolf Hitler. Klaus von Stauffenberg and his fellow conspirators decided that Hitler's guidance had destroyed Germany and its chances for victory in the war. The Soviets were marching into Poland and Romania from liberated Belarus and Ukraine, the western Allies succeeded in a Normandy landing, and the Italians failed to march back southwards. Objectively speaking, Germany was in danger of losing. This could not happen. Maybe with new leadership, preferably leadership dominated by military men, the Wehrmacht could turn the war around. The Reds would not surrender, but maybe the Allies would negotiate a peace. That had to wait. Right now, killing Hitler was the first step.

Stauffenberg placed the bomb inside of a briefcase, and placed the bomb strategically near Hitler. No one knew Stauffenberg's dirty secret. Hitler, Stauffenberg, and the twenty officers present talked for a while. Eventually, Stauffenberg left the room to answer a phone call. During Stauffenberg's absence, Colonel Heinz Brandt noticed the briefcase and blinked. He thought to himself "why did Klaus leave his belongings? I don't want to interrupt the Fuhrer, so I will just kick it away and remind myself to return it to Klaus after the meeting." He lunged down to grab the briefcase, but Hitler stopped him.

"Colonel, is something the matter?" Hitler asked sternly to Brandt. The Colonel stuttered as he talked, standing back up. "No, my Fuhrer. I just noticed Colonel von Stauffenberg left his briefcase and I went to-" "How kind of you, but leave it. If von Stauffenberg wants his briefcase that badly, he will return to pick it back up. I require your undivided attention on this matter. We need to turn this war around so Germany can reclaim her rightful place as Europe's hegemon." "But sir, Kl-" Hitler sighed and stared. "Do I need to repeat myself?" "No, my Fuhrer. I apologize." Hitler grinned at the submission and resumed his speech. "Well, gentlemen, the Americans and British have mounted into Normandy after tricking us with a false Calais assault. We must repel these troops back across the Channel to prevent the Judeo-Bolsheviks from using this as-"

Hitler was interrupted by an explosion, coincidentally coming from the discussed briefcase. The Fuhrer was incinerated near instantly, thanks to his positioning in the blast. The same went for Brandt, Hitler's would-be savior and one who never truly realized it. The only person who was relatively uninjured was SS representative Heinrich Fegelein, who immediately began trying to clear the rubble. "My Fuhrer? Alfred? Heinz? Anyone?" The man shouted. Fegelein saw someone driving away from the scene, and it looked like Stauffenberg. "Klaus? Klaus?!" He shouted out. Stauffenberg refused to answer, and Fegelein began to suspect the worst: that Stauffenberg set the Fuhrer up.

"Take me to the airport so we can fly back to Berlin. I have an important announcement to make to Germany." Stauffenberg said with a grin to his driver. The Colonel gazed back at the destroyed Lair, seeing little, if any, sign of life. Did he pull it off? Was the Fuhrer actually dead?" Klaus prayed that it was so, because if Hitler lived, the whole plot will fall apart. Stauffenberg wrestled with this internally the entire time, repeatedly assuring himself. The Colonel eventually returned to the Benderblock, where his fellow conspirators holed up for their operations. The self-doubt Stauffenberg was dealing with faded entirely as he walked in.

"Colonel, it seems you pulled it off. Fegelein and the other survivors have reported that Hitler is dead. The Fuhrer is dead, long live Germany!" General Erich Fellgiebel yelled with glee. Stauffenberg sighed in utter relief, hugging the General. "Fantastic, then that means we are on the right track! Quickly, gentlemen, we have plenty to still accomplish." The General nodded, and executed the next steps of the plan. German officials were notified nationwide. Arrest warrants were to be carried about against all SS officers, disobedient Wehrmacht officers who remained loyal to the deceased Hitler, all major government officials in Hitler's Cabinet, and the compliance of military governors to keep the war fronts stable. Operation Valkyrie was a success.​
German Civil War time. The SS will not submit to the plotters, and the Allies will demand unconditional surrender. Three-way battle.

German Civil War time. The SS will not submit to the plotters, and the Allies will demand unconditional surrender. Three-way battle.
The SS wasn't hardcore nazi ideologues but draftees, at least the Waffen-SS. They will get integrated into the Wehrmacht or get shot to pieces. The real problem for the plotters isn't resistance but how to handle the surrender.

The SS wasn't hardcore nazi ideologues but draftees, at least the Waffen-SS. They will get integrated into the Wehrmacht or get shot to pieces. The real problem for the plotters isn't resistance but how to handle the surrender.
The SS was a volunteer organization. Himmler is still alive as well. and quite a few Wehrmacht generals were loyal to the Nazi regime. The Wehrmacht would splinter, and the SS would be very pro regime.

The SS was a volunteer organization. Himmler is still alive as well. and quite a few Wehrmacht generals were loyal to the Nazi regime. The Wehrmacht would splinter, and the SS would be very pro regime.
The Goerdeler government could say that Himmler ordered Hitler's assassination.

The Waffen-SS (which had the most fighters) recruited via draft. And those people won't take a bullet for Himmler, especially when the conspiracy wanted to blame inter-NSDAP-struggles linked to the Sicherheitsdienst which would have been terminated.

The Waffen-SS (which had the most fighters) recruited via draft. And those people won't take a bullet for Himmler, especially when the conspiracy wanted to blame inter-NSDAP-struggles linked to the Sicherheitsdienst which would have been terminated.
Good point. There may be some disturbances in Germany though.

The Allies won't accept a peace deal. Even if the Nazis only control the Reichstag, it's not enough.

Good to see I’ve jolted life into this TL with my post about Valkyrie. I’m trying not to freeze to death in this cold front, so when I feel like leaving a blanket, I will be writing more.

Roosevelt’s Reaction
San Diego, July 20th, 1944

998px-Franklin_D._Roosevelt_accepts_nomination_by_DNC_at_Chicago_from_train_at_San_Diego%2C_California_with_Mr._%26_Mrs._James_Roosevelt._July_20%2C_1944.jpg

President Roosevelt was concluding some late night business with military staff regarding the Pacific Front. The President forced himself to be detached from the Democratic Convention, hoping that all is well. He also had no idea about the current ordeal with von Stauffenberg's plot in Germany. While he was eating dinner with family, friends, and military men, the President felt uneasy. Today felt like a big day in history, but he was absent from it. What could ease this tension Roosevelt felt inside? Well, it soon went away thanks to a conversation with an aide.

"Mr. President, I hate to interrupt, but we need to talk. I have good news and ... uncertain news." Roosevelt continued to eat, but he paid full attention to the aide. "Go ahead, son. Tell me the good news first." "Vice President Wallace will be chosen tomorrow as the Vice Presidential nominee for this year's ticket, by popular demand. Apparently one of the convention attendees convinced the party bosses to keep him based on his loyalty and a desire to not the boat during the war. Plus your health concerns were pushed to the side." Roosevelt could not help but grin. "Of course. I know I'm not the pinnacle of youth or health, but trust me, I don't plan on going anywhere this time soon. I am glad to hear it, and so will Henry. What else do you have for me?"

"You can probably predict this as uncertain news when I tell you why. Mr. President, Hitler's dead. He died in an explosion along with several Wehrmacht officers at a bunker, but no one knows who instigated this." Roosevelt grinned wider. "What's the uncertain part?" "Sir, no one knows who is in charge in Germany. Goerring and Himmler are both declaring themselves Fuhrer, while Field Marshall Ludwig Beck is declaring himself President and the legitimate new government of Germany. Allied Staff and the OSS are confused as to whom to believe. Right now, Germany is without concrete leadership." "Let me finish dinner and I am doing a Fireside Chat. I know how to deal with this." Roosevelt dropped his grin, obviously in deep thought. "Thank you, son. You did right by telling me right away."

----

Roosevelt now knew why he had the weird feeling in his gut. The retention of Wallace on the Democratic ticket was unexpected, but definitely welcome. Henry Wallace was a trusted friend, and letting him go felt wrong to Roosevelt. This issue with Germany, though? Hitler's death may be a curse in disguise rather than a blessing. This was especially so as Dulles in the OSS informed the President that Beck and his Cabinet are willing to enter a conditional surrender to the Western Allies. What was the right call? Roosevelt would let his words answer that question for the American people.

"My fellow Americans, I join you in San Diego tonight with fantastic news. I have received news that Vice President Henry Wallace, a close friend of mine, a wonderful Vice President that I would not trade for anything in the world, and a man who has fought tirelessly for the working man, has been nominated for a second term as Vice President by the Democratic Party." Roosevelt sighs happily, re-posturing himself in his chair. "I have also been informed that I have been chosen overwhelmingly by the Democratic Party for a fourth term. I accept the nomination, and intend on returning to office in 1945 with a finished war and the forces of evil vanquished. Once this war ends, we will begin a new chapter in American history. The Great Depression will be behind us, America will never see another Depression once we pass the Second Bill of Rights, and the madmen who plunged the world into a second world war will face justice. On that note...."

Roosevelt coughed to clear his throat, sounding rather uneasy. "Adolf Hitler, the leader of Germany and the man responsible for destroying world peace as knew it, has died. The German Reich has fallen into apparent disarray, with the survivors of the government fighting each other for scraps. Some voices in Germany demand peace with the United States and Britain, to focus on the Russians. I will state my position frankly, America. Whomever leads Germany now, listen up. Under no circumstances will the United States accept a conditional surrender from Germany or any other Axis power. We will only accept peace when the Allies have defeated you totally, and you agree to abdicate entirely. Until then, this war will continue. Americans do not want a job done half-cocked like over twenty-five years ago. The Arsenal of Democracy finishes what it starts. Thank you, and go get 'em, boys!"

The response of the American people was overwhelmingly positive. While some were concerned that no one truly knew who was ruling Germany at this time, President Roosevelt made it clear that this does not matter. What mattered was that the job would be finished in its entirety. America would not stop until Germany agreed to surrender completely, without any strings attached. November 11th, 1918 would not be repeated. Upon hearing this address, General Secretary Joseph Stalin of the Soviet Union was especially pleased. British Prime Minister Winston Churchill echoed President Roosevelt's words, and the Russians could breathe easily that their western friends would not betray them to the Germans... for now, at least. The Allies would remain unified, and also remain unified in their goal to crush the Axis entirely.​

European Front July 1944
European Front, July 21st - 31st, 1944

1944-07-15GerWW2BattlefrontAtlas.jpg

The Status of the European Theatre Before the Valkyrie Plot, July 20th
The German war machine was already suffering before the Valkyrie conspirators succeeded in killing Hitler. The Soviets began Operation Bagration, a project to push into the Baltics and Poland. It was a resounding success, and the Reds were within ear shot of Kaunus, Brest, and Lwow. Operation Overlord in the West saw Allied troops storming Normandy successfully. Although Rommel kept the Allies bunkered down, his chances were wearing thin. In Italy, the Allies were progressing further into the peninsula proper. Unfortunately for Germany, it turns out that killing the leadership has disastrous consequences for a nation at war.

The German homeland split itself open into a three way civil war. Ludwig Beck declared himself President of Germany, but the Nazi leadership refused to acknowledge him. Instead, Deputy Fuhrer Martin Bormann proclaimed Hermann Goering as the next Fuhrer. Unsatisfied, Himmler led an SS countercoup to ensure the Final Solution was realized and the Fuhrer's death would not undo the triumph of the Aryan race. The already bombed-to-hell, war torn inner Germany became even more war torn as the three major factions fought.

No one knew who to believe was in charge. Himmler was the least likely, given his strange views and the erosion of the SS. When the Military Governor of France, Carl-Heinrich Rudolf Wilhelm von Stülpnagel, successfully disarmed the SS in the French region. Stulpnagel aligned with the Valkyrie conspirators and demanded a safer withdrawal to the more defensible Seine River. In the East, the SS held on better, but their conscripts surrended en masse. By the time Himmler was able to execute as many Untermensch as he could for a Lost Hurrah, Goerring and Beck disposed of him quickly, and the atrocities of the Holocaust ended, but the spies of the Allies now had free reign to broadcast them to the world. Himmler was found dead from a cyanide capsule by July 23rd. Beck fared somewhat better, but his reputation was also suspect. The Western Generals were largely aligned with him, and the rapid withdrawal from France irritated several neutral and opposing officers. While Beck had little influence in the Eastern Front, his influence proved successful in the Baltics. General Staff was enraged to find the Baltics north of Memel and Kaunus abandoned. These defensive positions proved to be more beneficial, but they damaged the Valkyrie plotters' legitimacy by painting them as collaborators with the Allies.

Fighting between Beck and Goerring commenced for several days until Marshall Heinz Guderian got sick of the infighting and intervened. During a phone call with Goering, Guderian was promised more devotion to the Eastern Front and position of Deputy Fuhrer once the war ended. He agreed to Goering's terms and used an attachment of Panzers and mechanized infantry to deal with Beck. On July 29th, 1944, Marshall Ludwig Beck was located in Potsdam and quickly executed along with several other Valkyrie plotters. Goering was enshrined as Fuhrer of Germany and infighting largely ceased apart from the occasional pocket of resistance by renegade SS officers and Valkyrie conspirators. The frontlines stabilized, and Goering began plans to push back.

The effects of a week and half's civil war proved apocalyptic to Germany, however. Several Allied plans to amphibiously invade were expedited. Marseilles and Toulon were captured on the 21st, and these troops quickly linked with the rapidly expanding troops in Normandy. Additional, though smaller, landings were made in Aquitaine, and the three forces quickly encircled several retreating German divisions trying to reach the Seine and Paris. Prussia and Finland held, as well as much of Poland, but the minor Axis Powers on the Eastern Front got cold feet and abandoned ship. Miklos Horthy in Hungary succeeded in his second attempt to leave the Axis, couping the German loyalist regime installed in March and offering unconditional surrender to the Soviets. Romania followed suit as King Michael couped the Iron Guard government with the aid of democratic socialists and communists. Romania devolved into infighting, but this quickly stopped. Bulgaria was rumored to begin opening discussions with the Western Allies as to not fall to the Red wave. Thanks to the Hungarian and Romanian defections, Lwow and Brest were captured by the Soviets at the month's end.

In the West, the front stabilized as well. For now, the Wehrmacht ensured the safety of Paris from the oncoming Allied onslaught. However, all pockets of resistance in France were gone. The Allies completely controlled everything south of Paris and to the mountainous Italian-French border. The Italian advance slowed, with only minimal Allied incursions reaching further north. Given the collapse of the Hungarian and Romanian war efforts, the Germans suspected an Allied landing somewhere in the Balkans and diverted resources and manpower to stop such invasions. This allowed them to retain much of Slovakia and take back Hungary to the Danube River.
ft5p9Qz.png

The change in the frontlines by August 1st, changes in bright red lines.

I would live to see if Wallace could convince more Latin American nations to contribute to the war effort in manpower, besides Brazil and Mexico

I would live to see if Wallace could convince more Latin American nations to contribute to the war effort in manpower, besides Brazil and Mexico
What could they really do? The US would have to arm and transport them anyway, and if we can do that, why not just accelerate the expansion of the French Army?

What could they really do? The US would have to arm and transport them anyway, and if we can do that, why not just accelerate the expansion of the French Army?
The current focus is on the immediate German collapse, so David is right. France (and the Balkans) are a bigger priority for the Allies than Latin America.

American Politics July 1944
American Politics, July 21st - 31st 1944

I-Want-You-Fdr.png

The unexpected but welcome collapse of the German juggernaut meant nothing but good news for the Roosevelt administration. It became apparent that the German withdrawal from most of France expedited the war. According to several top experts, the withdraw to Paris and the Seine saved three to four months of additional fighting. (How true this was would be decided on the battlefield.) President Roosevelt decided to strike an even tone between three topics: finishing the war against Germany, continuing the fight in the Pacific to Japanese surrender, and his postwar policies. All three proved quite popular with the public, and the two-term question had already been settled in the first place. Roosevelt was the clear favorite.

Meanwhile, New York Governor Thomas Dewey planned on an aggressive campaign. While internationalist, the Governor ran an anti-New Deal and small government platform. The Dewey campaign argued that the wartime measures and the Depression measures would no longer be needed, but this made him struggle in the polls. He was visibly doing better than any of the three previous challengers to Roosevelt. According to Gallup, most new votes for Dewey came from dissatisfied conservatives that sprung to action when Wallace was announced as remaining on the Democratic ticket. Wallace already proved to be a polarizing figure, one that kept the Democratic base ecstatic but the Republican base terrified and willing to do whatever it takes to stop him.

At the start of the post-Valkyrie Plot fallout, Dewey blasted Roosevelt for not clearly defining who the new German leader was. "How can we win a war when we don't even know who to win against?" He would shout. However, Goering's quick ascension to the Fuhrership stopped that argument completely. Roosevelt supporters would soon retort with "We'll Win Against the Fat Bastard." The victorious Allied onslaught became too much for Dewey once again, so domestic policies and Wallace returned to the focal point of his rhetoric. Internationalist Republicans also proved to be an issue. Many supported Dewey, but the ones who were more Internationalist than Republican seemed to be just as content with a 4th FDR term as they would be with a Dewey Presidency. Speaking of internationalists, Roosevelt had a trick up his sleeve with an old friend....

----
July 31st, New York City

180917_r32807.jpg

Roosevelt approached the business room with caution, wheeling himself slowly. His old opponent in the 1940 Presidential election, Wendell Willkie, was sitting in a comfortable couch chair with a scotch in his hand. He could not decide to smile or sneer at Roosevelt, and the President could not help but wonder why. "I'm getting mixed signals, Wendell. Is everything alright?" "Mixed signals? Me? No, you're the one giving them, Franklin. I listened to the radio about Wallace. How was it even allowed to even consider ditching him? I supported your Lend Lease Acts and your entry into the war, and I still admire you for that, but are you the Franklin Roosevelt I once knew?" Franklin's eyes widened, and remorse rose from his face. "I was in San Diego on Presidential business. When I heard the news, I congratulated Wallace and told the American public, nay, the world, how eager I was to run with him." Willkie nodded sternly and made a "hm" sound. "Well, that you did. Okay, that sways me a little, but not enough."

"Well, what would sway you? I will be courteous and let you set the terms since it is my request for an endorsement from you." Roosevelt humbly admitted to Willkie. In response, Willkie's eyes glistened with opportunity. "Ah, so you want me to endorse you and not Dewey? I was going to stay out if it, but if I have to pick one of you...." He ponders to himself. "If you want my public endorsement, I demand representation in your foreign policy. I've heard of your attempts to make an international peace organization. That sounds like music to my ears." Roosevelt smiled warmly at the proposal. "I can absolutely do that for you, Wendell. Will you be able to handle it?" "I'll do it or die trying, as long as you mean it." "Oh, I do. You were the only man to ever come close to ousting me from the Presidency. You deserve nothing but my utmost respect." Roosevelt got up as much as he could from his wheelchair to shake Willkie's hand.

"Excellent. I'm going to prepare my speech and take it easy once I endorse you on the radio. I hope that's fine, but my doctors tell me I'm pushing the limits of my health too far. Originally, I thought nothing of it, but now that I have a juicy goal in mind... maybe taking it easy is what I need to do. If this saves my life, I owe you a beer." Roosevelt chuckled and shook his head. "Right now, I am the one who owes you. We cross that bridge later." "Fine by me. So, would you like to stay or do you have business?" Roosevelt frowned some and began to turn around. "Sadly, we must chit chat later. I am preparing a conference with other leaders in a few days." "Oh, well, that might be important." Willkie chuckled. "You go do that. I should draft my speech."​

July 1944 Pacific Front
Quick Update on the Pacific Front - July 1944
All eyes have been on the European Theatre thanks to the Valkyrie Plot, but the Allies have been making slow but steady gains in the Pacific as well. The Americans continued their successes with island hopping, liberating Guam on July 21st and Tinian Island on July 23rd. This completed their liberation of the Marianas against the Imperial Japanese. Soon, the Americans and British could work on the liberation of the Philippines and Indonesia. General Douglas MacArthur, the main head of the Pacific Front, began to salivate. His promise to return to the Philippines and liberate it from the Japanese was becoming a reality. The shame of the Ba'taan Death March would soon be undone.

Admiral Nimitz demanded an invasion of Taiwan against the Japanese to put pressure off of China and Burma and inch closer towards the Japanese. However, President Roosevelt demanded a slow and steady approach towards the Pacific Theatre as wrapping up in Europe was the priority. However, a Formosan landing could prove beneficial once the Philippines were liberated. Roosevelt promised Nimitz to launch what became "Operation Formosa" once MacArthur won his prize. If the European Front ended before 1945, that would give the Allies all the more time to focus on the Japanese.

Meanwhile, the Japanese were enraged. The Valkyrie conspirators not only committed treason against the legitimate, in their eyes, rulers of Germany, they also ruined the chance of any European Axis victory. The Japanese military knew it had to prepare for an all out assault by the Allies against them once Germany crumbled. There was also the issue of the Soviets. Sure, Stalin honored the non-aggression pact so far, but once the Reds secured their European border, will that remain so? The Japanese government was in a rock and a hard place on deciding to reinforce the Manchurian border or keep their conquests supplied with manpower.​

Yay! I was hoping Wendell would show up. If he can stay alive for longer it would make for a lot of fun what if's. This made my day.

The more that the war in Europe seems closer to be over in 1944 the more likely Dewey will win as one of the talking points in the overall Republican campaign is the need to shift from war production to allowing more consumer good to be made from textiles to autos and easing rationing.
IOTL the American people have a lot of savings built up because of the wartime economic boom and restricted amount of consumer goods that could be bought,
After more than 10 years of depression and war time restrictions the American people are tired of doing without and someone promising the American people to remove rationing and allow them to buy cars, refrigerators, and other big-ticket items would be quite tempting.
Also, the Republicans can say this can be accomplished by ending Lend-Lease to the Soviet Union and shifting the narrative of "Our Allies, the Soviet Union" to "Our Next Enemy, the Soviet Union" coupled with an all-out Red Baiting campaign with the covert help of J. Edgar Hoover and the FBI to "Uncover Reds" in the Roosevelt Administration.

The more that the war in Europe seems closer to be over in 1944 the more likely Dewey will win as one of the talking points in the overall Republican campaign is the need to shift from war production to allowing more consumer good to be made from textiles to autos and easing rationing.
IOTL the American people have a lot of savings built up because of the wartime economic boom and restricted amount of consumer goods that could be bought,
After more than 10 years of depression and war time restrictions the American people are tired of doing without and someone promising the American people to remove rationing and allow them to buy cars, refrigerators, and other big-ticket items would be quite tempting.
Also, the Republicans can say this can be accomplished by ending Lend-Lease to the Soviet Union and shifting the narrative of "Our Allies, the Soviet Union" to "Our Next Enemy, the Soviet Union" coupled with an all-out Red Baiting campaign with the covert help of J. Edgar Hoover and the FBI to "Uncover Reds" in the Roosevelt Administration.
I hope you don't mind if I use that as an idea. I cannot guarantee if it succeeds or not for Dewey.

August 1944 European Front Part 1
European Front, August 1st - 15th, 1944
Although Goering's quick rise to power allowed the stabilization of the German fronts, it did little to stop the Allied onslaught. It slowed it, but it did not stop it. The Allied advanced continued more slowly but surely thanks to the allies of Germany abandoning it and the week long struggle for power. Whilst Germany resumed its wartime productions, the week and a half of civil war significantly disrupted the already disrupted war machine. Albert Speer was retained to continue planning Germany's industrial capacity, and was also told to postpone Germania until further notice. It did little, as the combination of Allied bombing and internal strife pushed Germany to its limits. Speer reported to Goering that the economy might not last to Christmas. There was also the issue of replacing disloyal SS and Wehrmacht officers with ones loyal to Berlin. Renegade Generals and Marshals abandoning entire areas did not look good for Germany.

In France, the Allies spent the last few days fighting in Paris. The previous military governor was replaced by Erwin Rommel, who proved himself loyal to the German cause despite allegations of being in bed with the Valkyrie plotters. Dubbing the operation "Operation City of Lights", the Allies set to capture Paris to return the capital of France to Allied hands and open up Germany proper and the Benelux to Allied advances. On August 4th, Allied forces ousted Rommel out of the City of Lights. Combined with a very important American domestic event on this day, Allied morale rose substantially. Celebrations were held by the coalition of Allied troops in the city, and the Free French government moved to prepare an arrival back to the mainland ASAP. Resistance grew back in the following week in the forests of northern France, however. This was to be expected, however, given how close the Allies were to the German homeland. Western Command now debated between liberating the Benelux that had been occupied since 1940 or pushing into the Rhine and taking Germany itself.

The Italian front had entirely stood still to a halt. Mussolini originally screamed in joy at the lack of Allied advance. However, that joy became shock when he realized the focus Western Command took. Not only had the Allies kept every inch they gained when the Italians pushed for a counter-offensive, they did so while opening up other fronts in the Adriatic. British troops marched into Albania with minimal opposition, liberating Tirana the same day. The day after, the British landed in Athens to quickly liberate Greece. Partisan uprisings began as soon as the locals got wind of Allied landings, expediting the process. After meeting natural resistance from the Macedonian mountains, the British halted their advance into the Balkans and cleaned up Axis resistance pockets. The Bulgarians tried to reach out to the Western powers, but heard no response. Like what happened in Romania, leftist partisans quickly couped the government and surrendered to the Soviets before the Russians could issue a declaration of war. This allowed the Soviets to focus on cementing Romania under their control, and soon Bulgarian troops found themselves invading Axis occupied Yugoslavia to aid Tito as well as pacifying any remaining pro-Axis agitators in Romania.

The Soviets were taken by surprise at a German push back towards Lwow at the start of August 1st. This prevented them from fully utilizing their three new friends. The Germans advanced quickly with Guderian, retaking the city with panzers and smashing the Soviet offensive. However, a blessing came on the same day when Polish partisans staged an uprising against their German masters. Dubbed the Warsaw Uprising, Polish civilians and resistance fighters staged open rebellion against their German occupiers. Stalin saw an opportunity to quickly halt the German advance in Galicia. Originally, the General Secretary wanted the uprising to fail so he could ensure a communist government in Poland, but the German focus on the Eastern front required realpolitik. Russian troops beelined to support the Polish revolters. While the revolt continued well into the middle of August, Russian aid forced the Germans on the offensive and allowed the Russians to advance to the Vistula. It also allowed the Russians to counterattack in Hungary and begin directly supporting Tito's partisans in Yugoslavia.

The messy situation in Europe called for an easing of diplomatic tensions. Even before the development of August's occurrings, the Western Allies and Russians saw a few postwar quagmires. Chief among them was the slower action on the Eastern Front than in France. Many Soviet officials began to wonder if the Valkyrie Plot was a Western ploy to ensure most of Europe did not fall under the Russian sphere, despite the lack of evidence. It was decided by the Big Three to quickly meet in safe territory in North Africa and begin negotiating the postwar peace of Europe. On August 15th, the Tunis conference quickly reached publishable resolutions to satisfy the Russians and ensure loyalty between the Allies for the remainder of the war.
aug 15 1944 valk.png

Advances by the 15th by Western Command (blue) and Soviets (red).​

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.