The Shuffled Disneyverse 2.0: Another Alternate Disney Canon Timeline

The Lion King (1941)​
Well this was definitely unexpected. Most shuffled WDAC TLs usually have the OTL Renaissance Four (and OTL's Renaissance films in general) in the 21st Century, so it's refreshing seeing the Lion King appear this early.

The Lion King begins with Reynard the fox in the countryside planning out a series of deceptions and disguises, which he only got away with in the past due to witty last-minute escapes. Undesratbaly frustrated with all the devious escapades that wreaked havoc across the kingdom, King Noble, the great lion, orders Reynard’s capture and that he brought to the royal court to be tried for his crimes ranging from larceny to arson to murder. During the trial, Reynard disguises himself as a goat and laughs throughout the proceedings. When Noble discovers his disguise, he immediately sentences Reynard to be hanged on the gallows. Before his execution, Reynard confesses, much to the horror of King Noble, that he and his father tried overthrowing the monarch, spinning up a tale that it was payback for the monarchy stealing his father’s wealth and hiding it in a volcano. Reynard leads the King and all of the kingdom’s subjects to the volcano and pushes Noble into it. The King only barely manages to climb out when it explodes, killing many people.
I never realised how dark Reynard the Fox really was until I read this.

Pink Elephants on Parade (played while King Noble gets drunk) and Casey Jr. (played when Reynard stows away on a train) are two of the most remembered.
Pink Elephants on Parade here I can see that, but Casey Jr? That's quite the odd choice to put an upbeat circus train song.

Deciding that the fox is now the most wanted fugitive in all the realms, the titular lion king escapes and releases notorious criminal Ysegrim the Wolf, Reynard’s cousin [3], to pursue the fox once and for all.
So what happens next? Is Reynard captured or does he escape once more?

I have to announce now that Robin Hood ITTL will probably not be produced using talking animals
Looking forward to see how you'll do TTL's Robin Hood.

Well this was definitely unexpected. Most shuffled WDAC TLs usually have the OTL Renaissance Four (and OTL's Renaissance films in general) in the 21st Century, so it's refreshing seeing the Lion King appear this early.
Eh, I've seen it vary a little bit. Certainly not a be all end all.
I never realised how dark Reynard the Fox really was until I read this.
I think the darkness of the original myths was a factor in Disney IOTL being unable to have Reynard as a sympathetic main character. It's played for laughs more than anything here but there are some serious moments in no short part due it being from the king's
Pink Elephants on Parade here I can see that, but Casey Jr? That's quite the odd choice to put an upbeat circus train song.
The Pink Elephants on Parade song was a no-brainer for. Casey Junior on the other hand was a bit more of a difficult choice to put in. I wanted more than one song in here and most of the songs from OTL's Lion King weren't going to make the cut. Personally, I consider it to be my favorite Disney song from the 1940s. Hence I've decided to do a setting update and have the setting be based on one of the smaller kingdoms of Germany during the 1800s before German unification so that railroads are present. As for Casey Jr himself I was imagining the train in The Reluctant Dragon where it was less obvious it was a circus train than OTL Dumbo.
So what happens next? Is Reynard captured or does he escape once more?
Reynard is eventually captured but what happens leading up to that as well as afterward I won't give away because once I get to the climax I prefer to keep it vague so that readers can form their own version of the ending (with Tangled being the exception because Rapunzel is a 20 minute featurette ITTL).
Looking forward to see how you'll do TTL's Robin Hood.
Thanks. It'll be released later than OTL hence I'll have more time to think about how I'll handle it.

If TTL's Lion King is completely different than what it is IOTL, then I can't wait to see how you'll do Ichabod and Mr Toad/Latin American Duology

If TTL's Lion King is completely different than what it is IOTL, then I can't wait to see how you'll do Ichabod and Mr Toad/Latin American Duology
Two of those three will still be in the Package Era
so there probably won't be as many changes with those two.
Same here. I’m also curious to see how you’ll do Fun and Fancy Free.
It will be later in the lineup but I won't specify when, hence it probably won't be like its OTL counterpart.

Any reason why you’re doing this?

It's currently slated to be released IOTL in the slot of a canon film and it will be a cold day in hell before Travers allows her books to be transformed into an animated feature. The fact that it took over 20 years for Disney IOTL to acquire the rights to the books says a lot and the author disapproved of the animated segments which fed into her strong dislike for the film overall.

Oh, I was able to figure out how to access the original order of the shuffled films for the previous version. If anyone wants to let me know when it was slated, I will do my best to answer it for you

I’m announcing this now, basically every film up to 1950 will be set. There will need to be a couple of adjustments beginning in 1951 and onward from there, however.

The Snow Queen (1942)
The Snow Queen (1942)​

Walt Disney had considered Hans Christen Andersen's The Snow Queen for his first feature, but the studio struggled to develop the titular character in a way audiences at the time could relate to. As a result, it got pushed back to be the third Disney film following Cinderella and Alice in Wonderland. This was solidified when Disney rejected MGM’s offer in April 1937 of the film rights to Bambi: A Life in the Woods, as he had too much on his plate, and animating realistic animals was notoriously challenging. In the meantime, pre-production on The Snow Queen began in the summer of 1936, but it mostly took a backseat to Cinderella. Just before Cinderella premiered, Walt Disney Productions began exploring a possible film centering around the life of author and poet Hans Christian Andersen alongside featuring animated featurettes with his stories. One idea for a segment was making The Snow Queen into a short. The Little Mermaid (which would be made nearly 50 years later), was also discussed as a possible short, but Disney opted to produce The Ugly Duckling instead.

Disney released The Ugly Duckling in April 1939 as part of its Silly Symphony Series to nearly universal critical acclaim. In the meantime, in August 1938, Disney was holding character workshop sessions for the Snow Queen herself, and there was simultaneous work on storyboards assigned to Perce Pearce and Carl Fallberg. Their attention soon became drawn to other projects like Alice and The Jungle Book, so things were initially slow. Finally, on August 17, 1939, production of The Snow Queen officially began in earnest, with workshops mostly wrapped up by that point. Progress remained slow due to personnel changes, moving to Burbank, and improvements in handling animation. There were still talks about making The Snow Queen part of a Hans Christian Andersen biographical film, but Disney dispelled this once and for all in March 1940 when he publically announced that the studio would not pursue the proposed biographical film about Andersen (MGM would later pursue this concept separately without animation) and that The Snow Queen would be a full-length feature.

There were many interpretations of the story, and thus much room for experimentation, as writer and animator Mel Shaw recalled once. Writing was completed by July 1940, with much of the religious references from the original fairy tale removed. Animation was also a tricky process. Even though the story was generally human-centric, animals were still featured so Disney brought some in from the Los Angeles Zoo to animate them more realistically compared to Cinderella. Marc Davis created the titular Snow Queen’s final design. The studio used actress Jane Randolph and star skater Donna Atwood as live-action references for the scenes where Greta and Kai skate as kids and where Greata needs to run across an ice pond to rescue Kai after being kidnapped. The backgrounds for the film were inspired by real-life Scandinavian locations in which the terrain varied from mountains to woodlands. A rough cut of the film was complete by April 1942, and Disney showed it to his friends who thought it was too long. With that, Disney cut 1,000 feet of animation, adding to the 1,800 feet previously cut following the box office failure of The Jungle Book. [1]

The Snow Queen starts with the titular character having just created a mirror that seeks out the places with the most hate and ugliness in the world so that she can create calm and happiness via a gentle snowfall. However, a group of trolls sneaks into the snow palace one night and shatters the mirror into a million pieces that disperse in the cold wind. Unluckily, a couple of those shards end up in the eyes and heart of the Snow Queen herself, who acquires a bitter cold disposition. Her powers are corrupted by the shards, turning her gentle snowfalls into intense blizzards and avalanches wherever she goes. Several years later, two siblings named Greta and Kai listen to a story about the Snow Queen from their grandma. On a summer day, a few scattered mirror shards end up in Kai’s heart and eyes, causing him to be needlessly cruel and aggressive towards everyone, including Greta and his grandmother. The Snow Queen soon arrives in the village, signified by the dropping temperatures and howling snow squalls. She seeks out a Snow Prince, and when she sees Kai, she kidnaps him and brings him back to her kingdom with her. Only Greta can venture to the Snow Kingdom and save her brother from an uncertain fate.

Originally, The Snow Queen was intended for release in the fall of 1941, but the animator’s strike delayed the conclusion of production by several months, not to mention it fell behind The Lion King, which took its fall 1941 slot. [2] The bombing of Pearl Harbor ruined any chances of a Christmas release. RKO Radio Pictures scheduled the world premiere for July 30, 1942, at the Radio City Music Hall in New York, but the long run of Mrs. Miniver delayed this further. [3] Finally, it premiered in London on August 9, 1942, then in New York City on August 13 before being released in the United States on August 21. Critics at the time gave it mixed-to-positive reviews, with most of the detractors taking issue with the movie’s pacing and being more dramatic than Disney’s previous efforts. On the other hand, critics widely praised the animation and the titular character for their complexity. On a $1.5 million budget, The Snow Queen earned $1.3 million in domestic rentals and could not access most foreign markets due to World War 2. Fortunately, it earned back its losses upon re-releases following the War. It would go on to become one of Disney’s most famous classics.

Voice Cast:
  • Paula Winslowe as The Snow Queen
  • Ann Gillis as Greta
  • Cammie King as Young Greta
  • John Sutherland as Kai
  • Donnie Dunnigan as Young Kai
  • Verna Felton as Greta and Kai’s Grandmother
  • Sam Edwards as Troll #1
  • Sterling Holloway as Troll #2
  • Will Wright as Troll #3
  • Fred Shields as Troll #4
  • Mel Blanc as various animal voices

[1] Happened with Bambi IOTL according to a Los Angeles Daily News article from April 30, 1942, and a 1990 Los Angeles magazine article.
[2] Analogous to IOTL with Bambi expected to be released in fall 1941 and Dumbo taking its slot per The Disney Revolt: The Great Labor War of Animation's Golden Age by Jake S. Friedman
[3] Based on a Hollywood Reporter news item from OTL.

All of the songs from Bambi are included here plus Baby Mine from Dumbo (which is sung to Greta and Kai by the grandmother as little kids)

The Snow Queen starts with the titular character having just created a mirror that seeks out the places with the most hate and ugliness in the world so that she can create calm and happiness via a gentle snowfall. However, a group of trolls sneaks into the snow palace one night and shatters the mirror into a million pieces that disperse in the cold wind. Unluckily, a couple of those shards end up in the eyes and heart of the Snow Queen herself, who acquires a bitter cold disposition. Her powers are corrupted by the shards, turning her gentle snowfalls into intense blizzards and avalanches wherever she goes. Several years later, two siblings named Greta and Kai listen to a story about the Snow Queen from their grandma. On a summer day, a few scattered mirror shards end up in Kai’s heart and eyes, causing him to be needlessly cruel and aggressive towards everyone, including Greta and his grandmother. The Snow Queen soon arrives in the village, signified by the dropping temperatures and howling snow squalls. She seeks out a Snow Prince, and when she sees Kai, she kidnaps him and brings him back to her kingdom with her. Only Greta can venture to the Snow Kingdom and save her brother from an uncertain fate.
An interesting take on the Snow Queen. I really hope the sequel doesn't get butchered like IOTL.

All of the songs from Bambi are included here plus Baby Mine from Dumbo (which is sung to Greta and Kai by the grandmother as little kids)
Nice to see OTL's songs still being used in other films

Regarding hints for the next film, it will combine the premise of two films from OTL. But I will not be giving anything else away.
Either one of the Latin American Duology, that's what I'm guessing

An interesting take on the Snow Queen. I really hope the sequel doesn't get butchered like IOTL.

Nice to see OTL's songs still being used in other films

Either one of the Latin American Duology, that's what I'm guessing
What do you mean by butchered? I didn't mind Frozen 2 and I even found it better than the original. I plan on incorporating OTL's songs being used in other films if possible. And for the two film premises being combined into one, all else I will say is that neither takes place in the United States so it's not impossible. And for the songs from Bambi, the title card music and Little April Shower are kept as they are, the other two songs are sang by the characters.

Last edited: