The Prince of the Roses - A Tudor TL

With Isabella as Duchess of Burgundy, one of her daughters has a great shot of marrying little Ned. And I know how @BlueFlowwer feels about Queen Christina of England.
That would be a great marriage. And I do love Christina as queen of England. But it's still only 1517 and we're gonna see what happens with Isabella and her unborn child. Next chapter will feature England and France and the Low Countries and perhaps Catherine gets another stroke of luck.

That would be a great marriage. And I do love Christina as queen of England. But it's still only 1517 and we're gonna see what happens with Isabella and her unborn child. Next chapter will feature England and France and the Low Countries and perhaps Catherine gets another stroke of luck.
really hoping Francis DOENS'T get the imperial crown and that someone still captures the smug bastard

*Charles V and Eleanor dies at sea “Yoo, what the f*ck?!”
*Christian II and Isabella gets Burgundy* “Yo, let’s goooo”
*They also might get Austria and the Imperial title* “Oh yeah, it’s all coming together now”
*Sees that it’s a BlueFlowwer tl and remembers Christian’s relationship with Sweden* “Oh no…”

*Charles V and Eleanor dies at sea “Yoo, what the f*ck?!”
*Christian II and Isabella gets Burgundy* “Yo, let’s goooo”
*They also might get Austria and the Imperial title* “Oh yeah, it’s all coming together now”
*Sees that it’s a BlueFlowwer tl and remembers Christian’s relationship with Sweden* “Oh no…”
It's like being on a roller coaster sometimes. One second you're high up in the air with the most brilliant ray of sunlight crossing into your vision, the next second you are plunging down to the earth screaming your lungs out.

Oh God! That was unexpected. I wonder how Catherine will react (obviously a lot of interesting reactions, but as this is a Tudor timeline, I'm particularly curious about hers). I like that Isabella seems happy with being Queen of Spain - it's not Empress, but it's definitely a big win!

Oh God! That was unexpected. I wonder how Catherine will react (obviously a lot of interesting reactions, but as this is a Tudor timeline, I'm particularly curious about hers). I like that Isabella seems happy with being Queen of Spain - it's not Empress, but it's definitely a big win!
I can't let you all be too comfortable! Catherine is gonna get a pretty big shock and since her nephew is no longer the mighty emperor, she doesn't have a gigant in the corner as otl, but she has a son so it's the most important. Perhaps she gets another stroke of luck? We're gonna see the Tudor response to all of this in the next chapter.

Isabella is gonna be happy with being Queen of Spain and Naples and all that jazz.

Interesting chapter, RIP House Hapsburg, Germany will never be the same without them. I wonder what the Protestant Reformation will look like without the Hapsburgs around as a central authority throughout the Empire? Keep up the good work.

Interesting chapter, RIP House Hapsburg, Germany will never be the same without them. I wonder what the Protestant Reformation will look like without the Hapsburgs around as a central authority throughout the Empire? Keep up the good work.
Germany will most likely have a German Emperor next, but what they do to the protestant reformationen is yet to come.

Chapter 3 - Copenhagen in February of 1518
Chapter 3 – Copenhagen in February of 1518

A daughter.

Isabella of Austria felt the shock rocking her to the core as the midwife announced it. Not the son she desperately needed. A daughter. The queen of Denmark sank back into the pillows, breathing heavily as the afterbirth slid out of her with another antagonising push. She had prayed for a son, not a daughter! With the troubles in the Low Countries that was unfolding and the loss of her brother and eldest sisters and the death of her grandfather, a son had been much more needed. The Estates Generals of Burgundy was torn between her brother Ferdinand, now king of Spain and herself as ruler of the Low Countries. Not only the estates, but the whole of the Low Countries had erupted into boiling rage during the winter, as they faced yet another succession crisis. French forces had already started to march into Burgundy and the Palatinate to claim it and Luxembourg and Picardy had just gotten reports of raids starting. No doubt King François would dismember the realm itself and claim as many duchies and counties as he possibly could. And now they lacked a son that would have a strong claim to Burgundy. Ferdinand would not be able to claim it, as he was constrained by his young age and the regency of that contemptible bishop. Not to mention that he seemed about to wed Isabella of Portugal rather than Anne of Bohemia and Hungary he had been promised to by the emperor in 1516. That broken betrothal would cost the family their influence in central Europe and their standing in Austria as well. Her younger sister Mary had wedded the king of Hungary and Bohemia three years ago, but the had no children yet as they were only thirteen and twelve years old as of now. And the domineering magnates did not help with expanding royal influence either. And the Ottomans would come knocking on the door one day as well. This had been a disaster of the grandest proportion and now Isabella had a daughter.

It took hours to calm down enough to actually think after her ladies had retired after cleaning her up after the birth. After several hours of sleeping in a clean shift, with fresh beddings and her long hair washed and plaited into a braid, the haze in her head had lifted when she began to wake up. A plate of bread, cheese and pickled apples had assuaged her hunger and the herbal tea warmed her to the core. She was only seventeen as of now and she would have a son before long, this was not the end of the world. Her mother had borne Eleanor before Charles after all and none of her six children had been lost to infancy. And as for her daughter, Isabella commanded one of her maids to bring the infant to her bedside.

Holding the wrapped bundle in her arms, Isabella could tell the infant was big and sturdy, with fine pinkish skin and clear eyes. No doubt feed by her wetnurse and dozing with her little belly full of milk, the baby seemed as priceless as the rarest rubies to her. Isabella pressed a kiss to her little forehead as she settled back to the pillows.

Margaret, she decided on. Her daughter would be named Margaret, for her aunt Margaret of Austria, for her step-great grandmother Margaret of York and for the great Margaret of Denmark whom had unified the crowns of Denmark, Norway and Sweden into an empire in the north and for the Hungarian saint by the same name. Isabella made a promise to her sleeping baby that she would not fall prey to the clutches of France as her grandmother and aunt had nearly been and that Margaret of Denmark and Austria would stand by her the day her mother crowned herself as the ruling lady of the Low Countries, as valiant and steadfast as her ancestors that had stood tall in the face of their enemies had done in the past.

Margaret of Burgundy, princess of denmark.jpg

Margaret of Denmark and Austria in 1528

Author's Note: So it's new year and here is a new chapter for you all! I know these chapters are rather short, but that is because I don't really have a concrete plans for where I want to go, so please be patient with me. But here we have a daughter for the Low Countries and Denmark! And France is causing havoc as usual, but what else is new? Isabella is such a underestimated historical character, always getting shunted into the background in favor of Charles and Eleanor, so I wanted to explore a scenario where she would be more front and center. And I liked the name Margaret as it had connections to both the Low Countries and Denmark. And I love that portrait in general.

Last edited:
Chapter 3 – Copenhagen in February of 1518

A daughter.

Isabella of Austria felt the shock rocking her to the core as the midwife announced it. Not the son she desperately needed. A daughter. The queen of Denmark sank back into the pillows, breathing heavily as the afterbirth slid out of her with another antagonising push. She had prayed for a son, not a daughter! With the troubles in the Low Countries that was unfolding and the loss of her brother and eldest sisters and the death of her grandfather, a son had been much more needed. The Estates Generals of Burgundy was torn between her brother Ferdinand, now king of Spain and herself as ruler of the Low Countries. Not only the estates, but the whole of the Low Countries had erupted into boiling rage during the winter, as they faced yet another succession crisis. French forces had already started to march into Burgundy and the Palatinate to claim it and Luxembourg and Picardy had just gotten reports of raids starting. No doubt King François would dismember the realm itself and claim as many duchies and counties as he possibly could. And now they lacked a son that would have a strong claim to Burgundy. Ferdinand would not be able to claim it, as he was constrained by his young age and the regency of that contemptible bishop. Not to mention that he seemed about to wed Isabella of Portugal rather than Anne of Bohemia and Hungary he had been promised to by the emperor in 1516. That broken betrothal would cost the family their influence in central Europe and their standing in Austria as well. Her younger sister Mary had wedded the king of Hungary and Bohemia three years ago, but the had no children yet as they were only thirteen and twelve years old as of now. And the domineering magnates did not help with expanding royal influence either. And the Ottomans would come knocking on the door one day as well. This had been a disaster of the grandest proportion and now Isabella had a daughter.

It took hours to calm down enough to actually think after her ladies had retired after cleaning her up after the birth. After several hours of sleeping in a clean shift, with fresh beddings and her long hair washed and plaited into a braid, the haze in her head had lifted when she began to wake up. A plate of bread, cheese and pickled apples had assuaged her hunger and the herbal tea warmed her to the core. She was only seventeen as of now and she would have a son before long, this was not the end of the world. Her mother had borne Eleanor before Charles after all and none of her six children had been lost to infancy. And as for her daughter, Isabella commanded one of her maids to bring the infant to her bedside.

Holding the wrapped bundle in her arms, Isabella could tell the infant was big and sturdy, with fine pinkish skin and clear eyes. No doubt feed by her wetnurse and dozing with her little belly full of milk, the baby seemed as priceless as the rarest rubies to her. Isabella pressed a kiss to her little forehead as she settled back to the pillows.

Margaret, she decided on. Her daughter would be named Margaret, for her aunt Margaret of Austria, for her step-great grandmother Margaret of York and for the great Margaret of Denmark whom had unified the crowns of Denmark, Norway and Sweden into an empire in the north and for the Hungarian saint by the same name. Isabella made a promise to her sleeping baby that she would not fall prey to the clutches of France as her grandmother and aunt had nearly been and that Margaret of Denmark and Austria would stand by her the day her mother crowned herself as the ruling lady of the Low Countries, as valiant and steadfast as her ancestors that had stood tall in the face of their enemies had done in the past.

View attachment 880749
Margaret of Denmark and Austria in 1528

Author's Note: So it's new ear and here is a new chapter for you all! I know these chapters are rather short, but that is because I don't really have a concrete plans for where I want to go, so please be patient with me. But here we have a daughter for the Low Countries and Denmark! And France is causing havoc as usual, but what else is new? Isabella is such a underestimated historical character, always getting shunted into the background in favor of Charles and Eleanor, so I wanted to explore a scenario where she would be more front and center. And I liked the name Margaret as it had connections to both the Low Countries and Denmark. And I love that portrait in general.
Great chapter, Blue!

LOVE it as always! You're amazing!

Wish Isabella the Best of luck in the love countries and Christian in maintaining the unión. Hope they have a strong boy