Should I buy the following books?

Hi everyone should I buy the following AH books?
1901- Robert Conroy
1945-Robert Conroy
1942-Robert Conroy
1945 Red Inferno-Robert Conroy
Death is Lighter than a Feather- David Westheimer
Fox on the Rhine-Douglas Niles & Michael Dobson
Fox at the Front-Douglas Niles & Michael Dobson
MacArthur`s War a Novel of the invsion of Japan-Douglas Niles & Michael Dobson
The Days of Infamy series-Harry Turtledove

Thanks for your advice.

Last edited:
mate, I reckon get ALL of the above, cept for DAYS OF INFAMY which is a bit dodgy IMHO for reasons which other posters have stated (btw, I didn't get into it as much either, truth be told). I've not read 1901 or 1942 yet, but I expect they'll be just as good as 1945. Likewise, I've only read FOX ON THE RHINE so far, the other volume should be just as good. Alays wanted to read DEATH IS LIGHTER THAN A FEATHER or MACARTHUR'S WAR, also- just never seen em on sale or in libraries anywhere here in Brisbane to date.

Hmmm, good on ya for havin the interest in Op DOWNFALL, 1 of my pet areas of interest in AH, too...

Wolfpaw

Banned
I actually didn't have a problem with the Days of Infamy series. I'd recommend 'em.

1901...oooh boy. Just don't waste the money. I've heard Conroy's gotten (somewhat) better, but 1901 was just ASB meets wanton name-dropping and clumsy lesbian sex scenes that would make Turtledove groan.

Long story short: I am not a Conroy fan, though I have heard 1945 was decent.

1901...oooh boy. Just don't waste the money. I've heard Conroy's gotten (somewhat) better, but 1901 was just ASB meets wanton name-dropping and clumsy lesbian sex scenes that would make Turtledove groan.

um..If remeber correctly the lesbian sex scene was in 1862, not 1901..

I'ld suggest 1901, 1945, and Days of infamy series.

McArthur's war wasn't that good, and I haven't read the others, so no opinion.

Last edited:

:confused: lesbian sex scenes? Are you sure you have the right book? First, I don't think there were any lesbian sex scenes, and second, I don't think there are any real sex scenes... all nookie takes place 'off camera'...

MacCaulay

Banned
um..If remeber correctly the lesbian sex scene was in 1862, not 1901..

I'ld suggest 1901, 1945, and Days of infamy series.

McArthur's war wasn't that good, and I haven't read the others, so no opinion.

You're correct about the sex scene. I thought 1901 and 1945 were fucking awesome, though I think I'll have to disagree with you on MacArthur's War. I thought it was pretty ballsy for them to actually write a "first wave" perspective for Operation Olympic.

Hi everyone should I buy the following AH history books?
1901- Robert Conroy
1945-Robert Conroy
1945 Red Inferno-Robert Conroy

I haven't read Red Inferno since it's not out yet, but judging from the other ones I'd go with it. 1901 and 1945 were good reads. And though you might get other people who will say "it wasn't realistic and the caliber of the guns was off and blahblahblah", they're enjoyable popcorn fiction, especially 1901.

Death is Lighter than a Feather- David Westheimer
Fox on the Rhine-Douglas Niles & Michael Dobson
Fox at the Front-Douglas Niles & Michael Dobson
MacArthur`s War a Novel of the invsion of Japan-Douglas Niles & Michael Dobson

The Fox books are fucking AWESOME. I can't say much about why they're so awesome without giving away the big plot points, except that the first book is essentially the Battle of the Bulge with Rommel in command of the Germans, and the second book is basically a rebuilt Panzer Lehr division with Rommel in command against the Soviets. Good times.

Stirlingdraka,

You enjoyed the Draka series, right? You've made it part of your nickname after all.

Believe me, if you enjoyed that crap there's nothing in the books you listed that will snap your belief suspenders.

Buy 'em all. If you haven't been disappointed by Stirling you won't be disappointed by the rest.

Bill

I have read all but 1901 and Death.. from the Public Library. They were all readable, but then I thought Stars and Stripes was readable until I learned otherwise. None of them is a reference work that requires shelf space, or will require a second reading. At one point, I owned all Kurt Vonnegut novels, and now I find only the ones I didn't care for on the shelf.

I've read 1901 (not half bad), the Days of Infamy series (better than 1942, IMHO), and Death is Lighter Than a Feather. That one's the best of the "what-if we invaded Japan" books out there. It's well done, units on both sides are accurately identifed and correctly placed, and the author not only gets the U.S. and Japanese operations down right, he has an accurate knowledge of Southern Kyushu (did he make a trip there before writing the book?). The others I can't comment on as I haven't read them.