Ruled Britannia... how will it evolve?

I have just ended reading "Ruled Britannia". I have really enjoyed Shakespear's and Vega's adventures in XVI London, although I am not sure some things would have gone that way (I really doubt Felipe II would have created an English Inquisition given that he did not dare to do it in Flanders).

But I was just wondering how that TL would have evolved.

We have Spain invading England, ending up the rebellion in the United Provinces and defeating the Turks in the Mediterranean achieving some territorial gains (they are not described in the book but I suppose they will be Tunis, Algiers and probably some Greek islands). That would give him some stability, non anglo-dutch interference in the Americas and East Indies, no fleets attacked and, although he had to keep an occupation army in England, it would have been probably smaller than the Flanders one. Then after Felipe's death England and the United Provinces rebel.

* The Spain of this Felipe III will not be so tired of endless wars, they would have enjoyed a relative peace period of ten years. But their army will not be so well trained.

* The union with Portugal would be probably stronger.

* England would be weaker after ten years of occupation, it will pass for a period of civil strife and prosecutions against Catholics and pro-spanish population. In the book It Is hinted that they will Invade again Ireland (but I doubt), there it is also mentioned the abandonment of London's shipyards (that would mean a much weaker fleet).

* The United Provinces will not have yet the power to harass the Portuguese possessions, as they are just rebelling and they would not have created a powerful fleet yet.

What would happen here? A long English Civil War? The United Provinces go for their own Empire to weaken Spain as In OTL? Would Spain concentrate on what it is left or try to recover? Does Ireland keep its independence? Does France take advantage of the situation as their own civil wars would be over? Had Austria taken all the HRE?

Would there be cultural changes? What could have been the impact on English or on Spanish during occupation?

What do you think?

I doubt he will do another. I liked this one, though.
Maybe one where the Greeks abandoned their land based holdings when the Persians attacked, and settled the rest of the Mediterranean?

Concerning the weaker fleet...I doubt it would be much weaker than OTL. After the death of Elisabeth I., her successor let the fleet rot and England was not any kind of major naval power in the early 17th century. This only changed under Charles I.

i also think it will be weaker. no english ships atacking spanish america. no expertise, reduced trade fleet that will be afected by the war to expel the spaniards.

Imajin said:
What colonies are there? This is the late 1500s, so none in the Americas...
Portugal's Colonies are already neglected, prehaps France will fill the gap by getting exclusive trading rights to Japan?

blood in the water

I would imagine that the United Provinces, France, and a newly liberated England would probably smell blood in the water so to speak and start really going after the Spanish colonies and money train from the New World.

Bulldawg85 said:
I would imagine that the United Provinces, France, and a newly liberated England would probably smell blood in the water so to speak and start really going after the Spanish colonies and money train from the New World.
France has been always more interested in Europe than in having territories abroad. As for the others how fast could they have built up fleets?

Condottiero said:
France has been always more interested in Europe than in having territories abroad. As for the others how fast could they have built up fleets?
And with Spain invested so close to home in Italy, the Unitied Providences and fighting a rebelling England could we see their involment go down? Was Poland Swedish at this time, or still the commonwealth? We could see more of their states break up the colonization, and prehaps Sweden, or Denmark....

Faeelin

Banned
Condottiero said:

True, but they're not mutually exclusive.

Spain was able to acquire some territory in the New World, despite its involvement in Italy, the 30 years war, the Low Countries, etc.

And France is ruled by a Hugenot at this point, remember. And the Dutch rebellion was crushed.

There are lots of Spanish prisoners in British jails. Perhaps the British intelligence network manages to get details on harbors, trade winds, currents, etc, and horns in on Spanish trade to the fury of the dons.
Then all you need is to get a ship to Monterrey to pirate the Manilla galleon and it finds San Francisco harbor two hundred years early, and then the gold fields, and the mercury, and the silver, and the copper and the etc.

Glen

Well, this has put a bit of a crimp on the Elizabethan age, that's for certain.

An overall grimmer period of English history than our own.

There will be trouble for a couple years, but I don't believe we'll see any real civil war in England.

Them going after Ireland, if for no other reason than proximity and revenge, is a likelihood.

Phillip III is the problem. Whatever gains the Spanish made under Phillip II are going to get undone quickly by the subsequent rulers of Spain. And quite frankly, Phillip II didn't do enough reforming of the Spanish system to make it viable long term.

Yeah, 400 years are many years...

What about inmediate effects? I can see the Dutch revolting again after the liberation of England. Perhaps they are crushed in the first war, but when the 30 Year's War came the fight would be worse for Spain. Is possible that the Netherlands gain independence as OTL (or at least a de facto independence), but the Portuguese are controlled this time because the Portuguese colonies aren't "abandoned" to Dutch attacks and Spain has more men on the Iberian Peninsula than OTL. So there is Iberian Union at least untill the death of Carlos II in 1700. England would be in the 30 Years War (unlike OTL), and Cromwell would lead the English troops against the Spanish controlled Ireland instead of decapitating the king and becoming "Lord Protector".

Last edited:
I'm not too sure about no English attacking Spannish shipping.
If the Spanish managed to conquer England then yes Drake and co. would loose the bit of legal legitamacy they have in the eyes of the world but they would keep on pirating.

Thande

Donor
Another question is what happens to the English succession. Elizabeth onyl has a few more years left in her. Would we still just come calling at Scotland's door as per OTL, with all the intervening differences? Or, given how shaky and newly recreated the English authorities are, we might simply see the throne passing to one of the more powerful English nobles (like Cecil...)