Question regarding technical development with an extended WWII?

Straha

Banned
how would technology have developed in an alternate WWII that starts with roughly 1942 level tech and ends with 1949 level technology? I need some help on that particular area of development for a TL I'm doing..

this might have happened if hitler had started the war when he planned on it in 1945 the tanks and aircraft would be around the same but there could be alot of advance a lot faster.

Straha

Banned
I'm concerned with technological change resulting from a WWII type war foguht in this technological timeframe than I am the ways to make our WWII like it.

Straha said:
how would technology have developed in an alternate WWII that starts with roughly 1942 level tech and ends with 1949 level technology? I need some help on that particular area of development for a TL I'm doing..

Straha

I think the problem with this would be that, unless both sides gets the bomb virtually simultaneously the one who gets there 1st has a huge advantage. Unless the other power is well on top and has considerable air superiority perhaps. Even with the huge costs of developing nuclear weapons once the knowledge and infrastructure is in place new weapons, although slow and expensive are very much worthwhile.

Also not quite sure what you mean by your question, thinking about it a bit more. By mentioning your start and end points you are defining what tech levels will occur. Unless you mean how technology would have developed after such a conflict, in which case so much depends on the circumstances? [Especially how much is left of human civilisation, what kind of power ends up on top and whether some supreme power or a cold war type situation.] Or do you mean a war starting with 42 level tech and lasting another 7 years and what would things be like by the end of it?

Steve

If WW2 did not begin until 1942 then the military tech in use would not have advanced much beyond 1939, since most of the development in the OTL 1939-42 timescale was driven by the fact that there was a war going on.

So the tech development in a war lasting from 1942-49 would probably have been not much more advanced than the OTL 1939-45 development, just another year or so further on.

The A-bomb is the wild card, of course, but I suspect that there would still have been a two-year delay before really getting urgent development underway. A lot would depend on how the ATL war started - and when the USA would get involved.

Tony Williams: Military gun and ammunition website and discussion forum

Yes, the different weather patterns could be more important for the changed war - the winter 1941/42 is said to have been extremely cold, and bad weather might've delayed D-day too.