Popular Culture AHC: Excellent Reputation for Video Game Adaptation

Just saw a list of the 10 worst video-game adaptation movies which got me thinking...

What kind of POD would be needed to create a world in which video game adaptations are regarded as excellent or at least not awful... at least en par with regular action/adventure movies etc.

So your goal is to provide a POD that effectively removes OTL's stigma from video-game film adaptations by 2012.

Go.

I missed my opportunity with the Sonic thread, so even though I'm stuck mobile, I'll attempt to answer this to my fullest ability.

The main problem is that movie games are forced out with the movie, to help boost sales, meaning movie games are made with less money, in a less amount of time.
Movie games are generally considered cash grabs.

The way to fix this is to give them more development time, throw more money into the development itself, or have the Movie studio care about the quality of the game (A la Origins: Wolverine).

A way to do this, would be to have an ET type catastrophe in the 16 bit or even the 32 bit eras.
That would make the gaming community shun movie games moreso than they all ready are.
For that to happen the gaming industry needs to be substantially different however, as by the time SEGA and Nintendo were the top dogs in the 16 bit era, movie games had all ready occupied the position they are in now, due to the companies regulations.

Or you could prevent the early gaming industry crash with ET not being the spark (as the market was all ready flooded with crap) and have it happen at a later point.
But with Atari still kicking Nintendo might not come to America solo, and might just continue being a 3rd party developer (or Japan only) as when Nintendo wanted to come onto the American market they contacted Atari to ask for help, but it fell out.

I was interpreting this the other way around. So you'd have to make the Tomb Raider seriers of films not suck. And the Mario Bros adaption, and Alien vs Predator and so forth.

But as for how, that I'm not sure. I mean Tomb Raider's video game series were pretty much a rip from the Indiana Jones films. So a movie made from a game thats a pastiche of an already successfully done movie.

I'm sure it sounded good in a Hollywood exec's head anyway...

You could just wait for the Assassin's Creed movie that was announced earlier this year, I think :D

But seriously. Say the Halo movie adaptation wasn't cancelled? Would it have been good or bad?

Also, I'd think that the director of a movie adaptation of a video game has to know a lot about that game and actually plays it once to get a good sense of how to produce this movie without making it bad.

I was interpreting this the other way around. So you'd have to make the Tomb Raider seriers of films not suck. And the Mario Bros adaption, and Alien vs Predator and so forth.

But as for how, that I'm not sure. I mean Tomb Raider's video game series were pretty much a rip from the Indiana Jones films. So a movie made from a game thats a pastiche of an already successfully done movie.

I'm sure it sounded good in a Hollywood exec's head anyway...

Oh, sorry about that, replying under stress and what-not.

Well, that's a bit tough, as video games work a lot on their visual effects rather than just the players imagination, such as with books.

Tomb Raider is kind of a bad example. The Tomb Raider games are just about a Woman in soon tight leather pulling an Indiana Jones every game to quench fan service. The movies did just that, more or less.
Alien vs. Predator was a game first? Anyway, those movies do jsut what they're meant to do, quench the fan service. It'd be along the lines of Superman or Batman vs. Whatever.
Mario is hard to do as the games had (and still don't) very little plot. So the directors will NEED to take liberties with the plot.

Any games that aren't plot centirc, or have a silent protagonist will be a lot harder to make, as you need to build plot.

Anything that is plot centric will have to be tread with carefully, because there wipp prpbavly be a large fanbase for said game.

An easy solution to both would be for the companies or developers to have a larger hand in film production, that way the directors can take less liberties.
Sort of how Marvel handled their comic books. A lot of the early modern Marvel movies weren't made by Marvel, then they bought their own studio, then by large the movies started being good. Like the recent Avengers.

Another solution would be to make animation a more respectable genre. That way games like Sonic, or games that traditionally have a lot of effects/non-human characters can be drawn, instead of having to deal with CGI or actors.