Plan Ungarn: The End of Austria-Hungary

June 4, 1911 in Vienna, Austria-Hungary:​

“No, no, three times no,” Franz Joseph said. “I would hardly trust Ferdinand with making a sandwich. You think I’m letting him go to Sarajevo?”

“Hey!”

“That’s a valid concern,” Ferdinand’s aide said. “Perhaps you should go instead.”

“Hey!”

“That’s a mighty fine idea. Remind me what your name was again?”

“Josip,” the aide said.

“Hungarian?”

“No, Croatian-Slovenian.”

Joseph reeled back as if he had smelled something repugnant. “I was going to give you a promotion to being my aide, but...ew... Still, that was a pretty good idea. I’ll be going to Sarajevo instead of Ferdinand.”

“I’ve been wanting to go to Sarajevo ever since last year though!”

“Too bad! You’ll have to wait until 1914 then!”

“Fine!”

“Fine!”

June 12, 1911 in Vienna, Austria:​

“Whew!” Ferdinand said.

“I know right,” Tito said.

“Yeah, like seriously,” Ferdinand said. “I’m so thankful that you warned me off from going. Hey, how did you know-”

“Uh...”

“You’re not one of those crazy Serbs, are you?”

“Of course not!” Tito said, affronted. “It’s just... when I go onto the streets... I hear rumors. You know what I mean?”

“Thanks, Josip.”

“Any day. And now, we’re going to start Plan U?”

“No. First, we’ll send news to everybody that we want time to mourn, instead of fighting.”

“Right. I mean, all of our progress could disappear if a huge war began.”

“Yeah. So Germany first, then Russia, then Serbia, then France, then Britain, then everyone else. But we’re going to have to show that we can be harsh on the Serbs, too.”

Josip nodded. “I’ll just send a demand that they turn over the men involved for a trial in Austria. Now, we’ll start Plan U?”

“Yes. By the way, the party’s on me tonight,” Ferdinand said.

“Finally!”

Fight for Survival: Plan U​
Blog Post by Hanns Mahler:

“If you’re a Danubian, like me, you would know what Plan U is. It’s talked about in almost every history class, even if you’re enrolled in the University of Vienna for Chinese history.

Let’s start with some background. Hungary, after the death of Franz Josef, found itself ruled by Franz Ferdinand. And he was different - pretty darn different - from Josef. Hungary wasn’t going to be allowed to be so OP. Ferdinand was going to nerf it.

Smashing the Magyar Nobility:

The Royal Hungarian Honvéd, as we all know, was a complete and utter failure. It wasn’t even mobilized! The armies smashed the Honvéd, most famously at Bratislava. The Magyar nobility was destroyed.

With the largest obstacle to federalization demolished, Franz Ferdinand begun a path that he hoped would lead to greater unity among Danubians (back then, the Empire of the Danube was called Austria-Hungary) - an ambitious language program that would synthesize the big languages of the nation - Hungarian, German, Czech, Slovak, Polish, Croatian, Slovenian, Serbian, and Romanian.

Austroslavic: A new language

Of course, a synthesis of these languages would prove to be impossible. To simplify the process, the number of languages was reduced to German and the Slavic languages, which was already extremely difficult. Czech, Slovak, and Polish found themselves being an easy triplet, just like Croatian, Slovenian, and Serbian. Ruthenian and Ukrainian formed an easy duo. Synthesizing them and German was profoundly more difficult.

Eventually, a balance was established. A language was created. The Austroslavic language that exists today is a testament to their efforts.

Although many of us speak it now, it was unpopular back then. With the exception of Bohemia and Slovenia, which had already been mixed enough to be classified as dialects, Austroslavic was barely used.

But as federalization and industrialization continued, allowing more inter-regional movement, more and more people spoke more and more Austroslavic. In addition to commerce and trade affecting Austroslavic’s success, the fact that it was mandatory in schools further promoted its usage. Areas that were barely literate, like those in Croatia and Transylvania, quickly adopted Austroslavic as schools spread into their territory.

By the end of the first Five Year Plan to build schools and promote Austroslavic, a measly 20% had adopted it. Still, it had fared better than most had thought it would. Linguistics and culture weren’t the only aspects of Ferdinand’s reign.

Boring Old Economics

Well, too bad. I’m an Economics Major at the University of Vienna, so here I go.

Franz Ferdinand pursued a dynamic industrialization policy that saved the nation more than any silly linguistic policy could. As German aid flooded into our country, factories and railroads began to pop up everywhere.

Since I’m still learning, I won’t go into much detail. So that was, in essence, all I was going to say about economics. Awkward conclusion to this chapter.

Political Reorganization

Franz Ferdinand thought and thought and thought about a solution to Austria’s ethnic problems. It was almost impossible to create mostly homogenous provinces in Danubia because everybody was so scattered.

Then he thought of a solution - the solution that has continued today. Nations were composed of people, not land. So multiple ‘nations’ could exist inside Danubia - or rather, coexist. There would be an Austrian state for Germans, a Hungarian state for Hungarians, and Slavic state for Slavs, regardless of where they lived. Geography was now irrelevant. But what about Italians and Romanians?

Ha! Sucks to be Italian or Romanian.

Last edited:
December 12, 1911 in City Palace, Berlin, Germany:​

“Are you sure we can’t declare war?” Wilhelm grumbled.

“Yes,” Franz Ferdinand said patiently. “Young one, do not be misled by the darkness.”

“But they have cookies!” he whined pathetically.

“But we have cake,” Ferdinand said.

“Oooh! Cake!”

Whew! Ferdinand thought. Who knew that the German Emperor was so easy to distract? “By the way, have you heard about that revolution in China?”

Wilhelm nodded. “Of course, of course. Those yellow monkeys are trying to become like us!”

The two men chuckled. “Better some yellow monkeys than some Tatar hordes.”

“Now away from small talk about those monkeys,
we’ve got a big problem that stings us like bees,” Wilhelm said.

“Are you talking about the Russians?”

“Why yes, the Russians seek to emulate my Prussians,
in attempting an industrialization.
But it can’t work, and I fear for their nation.”

“Why not?”

“The Russians are inferior, and they are full or rot.”

“More importantly, what about those French?”

“We could put them on the backbench,
for all I care,
they can do all that they dare.
Which, to be honest, is not that much.”

“But Perfidious Albion’s touch
may ruin it all.”

“We can head east first to capture the Kremlin’s hall,
for history shows they fight without true weaponry.”

“My generals tell me that their attempted masonry
and industrialization may eventually catch up.
But don’t worry, I still believe in Krupp.”

“Bye bye!”

“Bye bye!”

Ugh, my 'poetry' is barely anything at all.

Next time, I should try for some haikus.

By the way, just in case anybody's confused about the POD:

Franz Josef is assassinated by the Black Hand in 1911.

Here's my second POD because I dislike Yuan Shikai intensely.

February 13, 1911 in Wuchang, China:

“Oh no!”

“Oh yes - oops, I meant, oh no!”

“Yuan is dead!”

“OMG!”

“That means the Beiyang Army follows us by default.”

“”What?”

“Yeah, the Beiyang Army follows the government of China. The Qing abdicated yesterday. So we’re the rightful rulers of China.”

“Darn it!”

Reforms before the Great War​
Blog Post by Heinz Hatte:
Posted in 1988.

“I am, in fact, aware, that the Great War could have started much earlier than it did. After all, in 1911, Franz Joseph had been assassinated, though Franz Ferdinand chose not to go to war.

But all the sides were still preparing for war (except Germany and France, who had been hyped up for said war since forever). This article will go back further than the Great War, to the years after Franz Joseph’s assassination.

ADD ME!!!

I am an old man now, and I constantly think about what could have been. Maybe if Brusilov...wait one second, that’s not relevant. By the way, if you want to add me to your contacts list on Counterfactual History, I’m HeinzyWeinzy.

Anyways, Danubia wasn’t always Danubia. You might be shocked to learn this, but back in the day, it was called Austria-Hungary because it excluded the Slavs. But after the assassination of Franz Joseph, Emperor Franz Ferdinand took over and changed everything.

The military forces were overhauled, right after new political divisions were established.

350px-Greater_austria.png

Although it would have been impossible for the Central Powers to have lost the Great War, his reforms guaranteed an easier win. By crushing the power of the Hungarian elite and fractious Hungarian army, Franz Ferdinand was able to bring people of all ethnic groups together. Though many members of Deutscher Nationalverband say otherwise, Ferdinand’s reforms were able to strengthen the empire for the upcoming war. Besides, don’t listen to what they say - they’re a mostly regional party in German Bohemia, anyways.

United we stand, divided we fall

But Ferdinand knew he had to do something to unite the people of the empire. If Austria-Hungary (Danubia’s old name) had been split apart by a foreign power, there would hardly be any resistance. The ethnic groups were all concentrated in specific areas.

He had several solutions.

First, he could force an increase in migration between regions. That way, any partition would be extremely messy and costly, so foreign empires wouldn’t risk it. But he felt that he wouldn’t get any support for that measure - from anyone. Still, he began promoting inter-region migration.

Second, he could create a language to unify the disparate Slavs of Austria-Hungary. Perhaps if Slovaks and Czechs spoke the same language as Ukrainians and Croats...

Work began immediately on that project, resulting in what we know as Austroslavic, the (current) national language of Danubia. Recently, there have been proposals to rename ‘Austroslavic’ to ‘Danubian’, though. Remember, though, that German, Czech, Slovak, Hungarian, Romanian, Ukrainian, Polish, Croatian, Slovenian, Italian, and Serbian are all still official languages of Danubia, even though they’re mostly regional.

Third, he could try to convince the people to follow the Habsburgs. It sounded like a good idea.

The Hungarian aristocracy had been backstabbing the Danubian nation for decades back then. Ferdinand’s rise allowed the nation to fix most of its problems, regardless of whether it was political, economic, or military.

March 4, 1911 in the Presidential-Palace-In-Construction, Nanjing, China:​

“President Sun!”

“Hm...President Sun...” Sun mused. “I like that name.”

“President Sun!”

“Yes?”

An aide ran up to the President, panting heavily. “Song Jiaoren has to talk to you!”

“Yes.”

“Shall we let him in?”

“Yes.”

“Okay.”

“Yes.”

The aide ran back off. “Welcome, Mr. Song,” he greeted warmly.

“Hello, Liu. Thanks for opening the door.”

The 13 year old boy blushed. “It’s fine, sir.” He had begun working for Mr. Sun because his moderately rich family had chose to send him to a Nanjing school, and he now attended Nanjing Ninghai Middle School. But he had been interested by the recent revolution and had offered his job as a (free) aide. The free part is more important than the aide part here.

Song Jiaoren walked into the room where Sun was. “Hello, Sun Zhongshan.”

“Hello, Song.”

An awkward silence only served to heighten tensions in the room.

“So, what are you here for?” Sun asked.

“I’d like to offer my skills as a Premier for China. I will carry out the campaign by myself, if the Guo Min Dang doesn’t have enough money-”

“No, no,” Sun said. “We are all revolutionaries. I would be delighted to have you on board with us.”

Song smiled. “Thank you, Comrade.”

“It’s fine.”

Liu Shaoqi watched, awed. He felt that he had witnessed something of importance to history. But he had no idea about his future role...

So is this a semi comedic AH (pun intended)? Original idea.

Yup (to the first part). Not sure about the second part. All I ever write are crack timelines...

What do you have in store? World War I Stalemate in the East and West?

But anyways, this is interesting.

Thanks! That's actually pretty hard, since I'm not exactly good at writing about warfare...I'm screwed once the actual war starts.

Monday, September 4, 2000 at Franz Ferdinand High School, Vienna, Austria, Danubia:

“Welcome back to FFHS,” Mr. Dubček said. “My name is Alexander Dubček, and I will be your Danubian History teacher this year.”

The class was still eager to learn more. Oh, he hadn’t seen such eager anticipation in years! My, my, it was refreshing! Not that they would keep this attitude. He snickered internally.

“Please take one packet and pass the rest behind you. This packet will contain the information you need for our first test, which will be tomorrow.”

Whispers broke out. Tests on the second day of school?

“Just for purposes, we’ll divide this class into several periods.

1. Austro-Hungarian Empire (1867-1911)

2. Early Danubia (1911-1924)

3. Danubian Democracy (1924-1940)

4. Warring States (1940-1945)

5. Early Modern Danubia (1945-1960)

6. Interconnected Europe (1960-1980)

7. Modern Danubia (1980-present)

Does anybody have any questions about this arrangement?”

Awkward Silence.

“Um, I guess not. So yeah, just study the packet on Austria-Hungary. After tomorrow, we’ll be moving on to Early Danubia, and, as many of you know, the Great War.”

Yup (to the first part). Not sure about the second part. All I ever write are crack timelines...

Thanks! That's actually pretty hard, since I'm not exactly good at writing about warfare...I'm screwed once the actual war starts.

No, I meant that the idea of a comedic AH was original.

Austroslavic: A new language

Of course, a synthesis of these languages would prove to be impossible. To simplify the process, the number of languages was reduced to German and the Slavic languages, which was already extremely difficult. Czech, Slovak, and Polish found themselves being an easy triplet, just like Croatian, Slovenian, and Serbian. Ruthenian and Ukrainian formed an easy duo. Synthesizing them and German was profoundly more difficult.

Eventually, a balance was established. A language was created. The Austroslavic language that exists today is a testament to their efforts.

Although most of us speak it now, it was unpopular back then. With the exception of Bohemia and Slovenia, which had already been mixed enough to be classified as dialects, Austroslavic was barely used.

But as federalization and industrialization continued, allowing more inter-regional movement, more and more people spoke more and more Austroslavic. In addition to commerce and trade affecting Austroslavic’s success, the fact that it was mandatory in schools further promoted its usage. Areas that were barely literate, like those in Croatia and Transylvania, quickly adopted Austroslavic as schools spread into their territory.

By the end of the first Five Year Plan to build schools and promote Austroslavic, a measly 20% had adopted it. Still, it had fared better than most had thought it would. Linguistics and culture weren’t the only aspects of Ferdinand’s reign.

Emphasis mine; this is a neat idea for a TL, but the part I'm quoting, and especially underlining....just no. Even assuming a conlang could be reasonably constructed that captures both Slavic and German function equally (not at all an easy task), the idea of it becoming THE language of most of the population by modern day is frankly ludicrous. We've had multiple such constructed tongues come about IOTL, often with plenty of financial and political backing (e.g. Esperanto), and precisely none of them have amounted to anything at all, other than interesting thought experiments and as occasional auxiliary translation material (often alongside actual organic languages, sort of missing the point in that case). Seeing German and Slavic languages influence each other, or the various Slavic ones forming a koine dialect? Sure, that can happen easily, but I can't see a conlang doing THAT well (though the 20% is sorta feasible, as an L2 capacity if nothing else, but not as a primary tongue).

Emphasis mine; this is a neat idea for a TL, but the part I'm quoting, and especially underlining....just no. Even assuming a conlang could be reasonably constructed that captures both Slavic and German function equally (not at all an easy task), the idea of it becoming THE language of most of the population by modern day is frankly ludicrous. We've had multiple such constructed tongues come about IOTL, often with plenty of financial and political backing (e.g. Esperanto), and precisely none of them have amounted to anything at all, other than interesting thought experiments and as occasional auxiliary translation material (often alongside actual organic languages, sort of missing the point in that case). Seeing German and Slavic languages influence each other, or the various Slavic ones forming a koine dialect? Sure, that can happen easily, but I can't see a conlang doing THAT well (though the 20% is sorta feasible, as an L2 capacity if nothing else, but not as a primary tongue).

Hebrew?

But yeah, that's right. I must have skipped over it when I was reviewing my drafts. I changed it.

Hebrew?

But yeah, that's right. I must have skipped over it when I was reviewing my drafts. I changed it.

Hebrew isn't a conlang, it's a resurrected one that used to exist, stopped being used organically for a time, but still had enough literature and information on it to bring back to life. And good to hear!

Hebrew isn't a conlang, it's a resurrected one that used to exist, stopped being used organically for a time, but still had enough literature and information on it to bring back to life. And good to hear!

Oh, my point was that Hebrew wasn't really used until it was brought back. Whatever, it's not a big deal.

Last edited:
Tuesday, September 5, 2000 at Franz Ferdinand High School, Vienna, Austria, Danubia:​

"..."

"..."

[30 minutes later]

“How was the test?” Mr. Dubček asked.

Somebody burst into tears. “It was terrible!”

“Actually, I thought it was pretty easy.”

“No way!”

“Then again, I play ‘Greatest War V’ all the time, so I would know a bit about this.”

“That game is not historically accurate!”

“...” Mr. Dubček muttered. “Okay, class is over. Remember to bring your textbooks tomorrow!”

One glaring issue, as a Croat Tito was part of the Hungarian army and would never have had the chance to become the aid of Franz Ferdinand.