Philadelphia Burning (My First Alternate History)

(Hello everyone! So, I have no idea if this goes here, or in the place more for stories, or in the Alien Space Bats sub-forum. This is my first attempt at a formal alternate history story/timeline, and I'm not sure how well this stands up to the scrutiny of the community. I've seen and participated in other discussions of alternate history in other parts of the internet, but this is the first time I've tried to write my own, originalish scenario. If this belongs someplace else, I will ask for it to be moved promptly. Any and all feedback is absolutely welcome!)

Introduction
Philadelphia Burning

"No great man lives in vain."
- Anonymous*
It was an open secret that the Constitutional Convention that took place in Philadelphia in May and June of 1787 was an effort to totally remake the Articles of Confederation, not merely "revise them" as some had discussed. This was made abundantly clear after James Madison and the other members of the Virginia Delegation arrived early and prepared their own plan to create a new constitution for the United States of America. This move, however, did not come as a surprise to the delegates in Philadelphia; after all, had not the Annapolis Convention a year before called for a larger-scale constitutional convention?

However, seeking to close themselves off from the influence of the curious public, as well as to prevent prying ears of potential opponents from picking up on what was being discussed, the delegates made the decision close proceedings. They went so far as to nail the windows shut during one of the hottest summers Philadelphia had experienced. Of course, these efforts only went so far; we have snippets of information picked up from various sources- such as businessman Manasseh Cutler, who found himself more than once a dinner guest of various delegates. From what we can glean from Cutler, who wrote down many notes on what he had heard, there were great debates waging in the hall over what this Constitution could potentially look like. Some historians have "reconstructed" models from these of what the document could have ended up looking like, but we shall never know for certain.

Due, of course, to the Pennsylvania State House Fire.

While we do not know all the details, we can throw out the apocryphal story that a cow outside the State House kicked over a lantern because the milker was tired which then started the fire (even though it is a good study over how missing one small detail can lead to disastrous consequences). No, likely the fire was due to something that happened in the interior of the building; a coat that got to close to a candle, perhaps, or some misplaced papers. Whatever the cause, within a few minutes of starting, the fire had consumed the building; efforts to rescue the delegates inside failed; the windows, nailed shut, proved to be a barrier for the distinguished statesmen inside. The fire, which apparently started near the door, soon claimed the lives of all men inside. The fire would eventually spread throughout the city of Philadelphia, claiming many more lives- while tragic, these deaths would not have the effect that the delegates' would have.

This "American Patricide", as it was called in earlier histories (in reference to the oft-discussed mid century idea that these men were the "Father's of American Independence"), some of the best and brightest and boldest minds in American history were lost- including, most tragically, General George Washington, who had led the Continental Army to victory during the Revolutionary War.

In the chaotic years that followed, many Americans of the Revolutionary generation would lament that they lacked the guidance of General Washington to help them; whether he could have charted a different course, or whether the delegates at the Constitutional Convention could have fabricated a stable government, are debates for another time...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* Really Thomas Carlyle in our universe
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Absent the Constitution, and folks like Washington and Franklin who were relatively well accepted throughout the colonies, the fragmentation under the Articles of Confederation would probably result in a Balkanized "USA". Disputes about the trans-Appalachian territories which were solved by the federal government negating all claims to the west (most states claimed their charters extended as far west as the border) could easily result in states fighting each other with their militias.

I rarely do comment on American AH but I'll make an exception for this! I wonder what's next!
Thanks! :D

Absent the Constitution, and folks like Washington and Franklin who were relatively well accepted throughout the colonies, the fragmentation under the Articles of Confederation would probably result in a Balkanized "USA". Disputes about the trans-Appalachian territories which were solved by the federal government negating all claims to the west (most states claimed their charters extended as far west as the border) could easily result in states fighting each other with their militias.
I won't confirm anything, but it will be a chaotic time to live.

A good start here. Is there a full list of those who died?
Thanks! So some people of note that died in the fire include George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, James Madison, Roger Sherman (of Connecticut Compromise fame), and Alexander Hamilton. A full list of delegates can be found here.

Section One: The Crippled Confederation

Chapter One

The Nation Mourns, The Statesmen Conspire, And A Storm Rages

“They make glorious shipwreck who are lost in seeking worlds.”

- Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

News of the sudden demise of the delegates to the Constitutional Convention spread rapidly throughout the nation, leading to both spontaneous and organized demonstrations of mourning. One author reports that every home in Savannah, Georgia, had a black cloth or sheet placed over its door; in Baltimore, the churches held prayer services to pray both for the souls of the departed, as well as for the future of the nation. But, most importantly, in New York City, the Confederation Congress- in the midst of deliberations over what was labelled the “Northwest Ordinance Bill”- adjourned for the summer, out of respect for the many lives lost, as well as to enable members of the Congress to return to their states to oversee various funerals and memorial services (as every state, save Rhode Island, had lost august figures).

The pause taken by the Confederation Congress would prove to be one of the most important- and controversial- decisions. The Northwest Ordinance Bill hinged on the idea of a strong Federal government, one that would be able to enforce its many regulations on the selling of Western territory. The Confederation Congress, operating on the open secret that the Philadelphia Constitutional Convention would create such a government, was all-but prepared to pass such a measure. The deaths, however, stopped the legislation in its tracks, especially after Virginia’s delegation, between services for the dearly missed General Washington, held a series of closed door meetings with the former governor of the state, Patrick Henry.

Henry had never been a fan of the Constitutional Convention- he had been quoted as saying that “smelt a rat in Philadelphia, tending towards monarchy”. Smarting from the inability of the Confederation Congress to protect Virginia settlers in what was now the vaguely organized “Northwest Territory” along the Ohio River valley, Henry’s growing mistrust of centralized authority was sharpened by the failed Jay-Gardoqui Treaty, which would have given Spain exclusive navigation rights on the Mississippi in exchange for economic concessions that would mostly benefit New England. Afraid that the voice of Virginia and other states would be drowned out in such a document, Henry gradually walked down a path of opposition and state sovereignty.

Henry’s meeting with the Congressmen also came at a time where two of America’s leading minds were attempting to return from Europe. John Adams, who had communicated some what with the men at the Constitutional Convention, had been in the United Kingdom, serving as Minister to that country, while Thomas Jefferson, who had approvingly written of the Convention to Adams (referring to it as a “gathering of demi-gods”), was serving as Minister of France. The two old friends rendezvoused in Bristol, where they discussed the events that took place and booked passage back to the American continent. They wished to pay respects to their many dead friends, as well as take a gauge of the political atmosphere. The two were last seen talking as the ship cast off from the harbor- one of Adams’s aides (who was sick, and chose to remain in England a while) remembered hearing the two of them discussing who to invite to a second Continental Congress.

Whether Adams and Jefferson could have pulled off such a move is up to debate still today, for their vessel never arrived in New York City. A large storm ravaged the North Atlantic for almost a week after their departure, and it is likely that their ship capsized in the storm, dragging the two to a watery grave.

The death of Adams and Jefferson came later as news to the nation, and sparked another small wave of mourning. But by that time, the nation’s attention was caught up in a debate raging in the Confederation Congress.

Influenced by Patrick Henry, the Virginia delegation suddenly began to backpedal in the Northwest Ordinance Bill, pointing out that the measures that the Confederation government was going to enact went above and beyond what was legal, according to a strict interpretation of the Articles. When delegates from Massachusetts tried to counter these arguments with the idea of a second Constitutional Convention to enable the Confederation to carry out these duties, the Virginians railed on the idea of a Constitution that would “strip the states of their sovereignty, rendering them helpless provinces to be pillaged at the whim” of a centralized government. Many of these speeches bore the telltale marks of Patrick Henry, who was present in New York; historians today believe that he likely wrote the speeches and helped coach the Virginians through the legislative battle.

The Virginian obstruction also triggered a debate over Confederation control of state land. While many states had already ceded territory to the Confederation, many had only done so to allow the Confederation to assume their states debt. With the Northwest Ordinance Bill stalled, a few of the affected states began to reconsider their generosity. Virginia, of course, was beginning to act very bellicose about their former claims in the Ohio River Valley; Connecticut, which had ceded the majority of their claims the year previous, also began to loudly wonder if they made the right decision. Such talk alarmed the “landless” states, which feared domination by the potential expansion of their neighbors.

As the fall turned into the winter, the Confederation prepared to take a recess going into the Christmas holiday. Nothing of note had been accomplished, and the “Northwest Ordinance Bill” was left to wither on the vine. All agreed that something had to be done, but what exactly?

(I know that right now it seems like I'm playing a game of "How Many Founding Fathers Can I Eliminate", but bear with me! It'll get better, I promise!)

This is really fascinating, I can't wait to see where you go with it. Oh, and a warm welcome to AH! It took me years before I got started on actually writting a TL, so doubly impressed with not just the quality but also the initiative. Keep it up!

This is really fascinating, I can't wait to see where you go with it. Oh, and a warm welcome to AH! It took me years before I got started on actually writting a TL, so doubly impressed with not just the quality but also the initiative. Keep it up!
Thanks! :D

I joined this site to, basically, post this. My main exposure to alternate history has been, like I mentioned, in other parts of the internet (i.e. Facebook). I found out about this site through an article that someone posted on the group, and after reading some of the stuff here available for guests (for a while I was under the impression that being a member would cost money, don't ask me why), I thought that I would try it out myself.

So thank you for the welcome! Happy to be here!

Section One: The Crippled Confederation

Chapter Two

Blood on the Susquehanna

"There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others."
- Niccolo Machiavelli
As the New Year dawned and the Confederation Congress came back into session, it became increasingly evident that something had to be done. There is evidence that even the Virginia delegation, riled as they were by Patrick Henry's rhetoric, were beginning to come around to the idea of a second Constitutional Convention to at least try to reform the Articles of Confederation into something more workable. Indeed, a local New York newspaper seemed cautiously optimistic as the men of the Congress gathered back into session, writing that "The winter of our discontent seems to be indeed past us, and the specter of anarchy, which has lowered over our Republic, now seems to fade." However, events outside of the control of the Confederation Congress, however benevolent their intentions were, continued to drag the American nation further and further apart.

What, one might ask, was the cause of these events?

A picturesque valley along the Susquehanna River.

The Wyoming Valley had been claimed by both Pennsylvania and Connecticut, both of which had sent settlers to the region. The Pennamites (as the settlers from Pennsylvania were termed) and the Yankees (as the settlers from Connecticut were referred to) competed for control over this region, and several small conflicts had broken out in the past. These "wars" had very few casualties- merely a few men perished on either side. Much of the fighting had taken place in the courts and statehouses, and, as recently as 1782, in the Congress. While His Majesty, King George III, had granted the valley and the surrounding territory to Connecticut, Congress reversed his ruling and gave precedence to Pennsylvania's claims. A small conflict had broken out in 1784, when Pennsylvania sought to enforce these claims and various volunteers from New England had traveled South to protect the already established Yankee settlers. After a brief period of stand offs and posturing, things seemed to ease somewhat when the Pennsylvania legislature began to debate recognizing the Yankee settlers land holdings.

However, Connecticut's government, disturbed by the collapse of talks on the Northwest Ordinance Bill, and regretting ceding their far-western claims to the Confederation (seemingly for nothing, though the government assuming their war debt was a boon to the state), feared losing more land and influence. While they still retained control of the Western Reserve, located to Pennsylvania's West, they lacked any direct access to that region, which was still mostly inhabited by a few roving Indian bands and the occasional long-rifle hunter. By reasserting their claims to "Westmoreland County" (the Connecticut term for the disputed territory), Connecticut felt that they could secure their control of the Western Reserve and allow their state to gain more leverage.

Pointing out that Pennsylvania had so far, failed to find a suitable resolution to the rights of the Yankee settlers in Westmoreland County, the Connecticut delegation at the Confederation Congress announced that they were demanding that the Congress take a second look at who had the proper right to ownership. This surprised the Pennsylvania delegation- they had known that Connecticut was still smarting over the issue, but they didn't believe that they would go as far as to demand a second debate over the region. Connecticut's proposal was, of course, voted down by the Confederation (with Connecticut casting the only "Aye"). Many of the Congressmen breathed a sigh of relief, hoping that the debate over this region would be over.

This would turn out to be far from the truth.

News of Connecticut's demand filtered south into Pennsylvania, where the citizens were still smarting from the Philadelphia fire the year before. Pennsylvania, home to one of America's only fire brigades, had failed to save the delegates at the Constitutional Convention, and had been lambasted in some circles for this. A few more radical Congregationalists in New England even spread rumors that the fire was all a Quaker conspiracy of some kind. Seeking to recover some measure of pride and prestige, wealthy Pennsylvanians (located almost exclusively in and around Philadelphia) felt that Connecticut had given them the perfect opportunity.

Rallying the press and as many as they could to their cause, they formed the so-called "League for the Defense of Pennsylvania" in February of 1788. Supported by the Supreme Executive Council of Pennsylvania (the "executive" of the Pennsylvanian government), the League held parties and rallies to collect funds to "purchase arms and raise companies of men to protect Pennsylvania from the Yankee threat". Newspapers blared out anti-Yankee propaganda, seeking to paint Connecticut as a greedy state that threatened to tear the nation apart. Men held torchlight parades through the streets of Philadelphia, brandishing arms and showing their willingness to fight to preserve their state's territory.

Mostly, however, the League was simply an opportunity for the upper crust of Pennsylvania to feel that they were doing something, and was embraced by the lower class as a chance to get a drink for free while shouting their pride for Pennsylvania. Most observers from other states picked up on this, noting that the meetings of the League were more akin to street festivals than militia training. Not so in Connecticut- to the citizens of Connecticut, the news of abuse of their states name and the seeming willingness of the Pennsylvanians to fight were terrifying and maddening at the same time. The "Westmoreland Legion" was formed- a Connecticut version of the League- and posters in the streets of Hartford painted Pennsylvanians alternatively as murderous would-be Hessians or bumbling, drunk, inept oafs. In the Confederation Congress, the Connecticut delegation reprimanded the Pennsylvanians for the uncouth behavior of their citizens; the Pennsylvanians fired right back, saying that Connecticut was threatening the Union with their claims, demanding they renounce them once again.

The war of words and opposing defensive organizations continued to escalate as winter moved into spring, but no observer reckoned that fighting would take place; John Trumbull, a Connecticut-born artist living in Paris, poo-pooed the whole affair when he heard of it in a letter, pointing out his belief that both sides were merely "allowing their anger at the present situation in the nation to be channeled in a way that will allow their respective governments to show their citizens that they are engaged in some endeavor." Many other's shared Trumbull's attitude, even in the Supreme Executive Council of Pennsylvania and the government of Connecticut.

But, crucially, one man did not view it as such.

William Findley, the representative of Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania (confusingly located below the disputed region of the same name) on the Supreme Executive Council, took the threat the Yankee's posed as a real one. He had been cautiously supportive of previous efforts to drive the Yankee settlers from their land, hoping to swoop in and secure their land for later sale and investment. Findley took money that he raised on the behalf of the League and, instead of investing it in more parties or simply pocketing it like many of the other leaders of the organization, he spent the money on arms, as it was intended. Many in his constituency were already roaring for a fight with the Yankees; the Pennsylvanians of Westmoreland County had always been at the forefront of efforts to drive them out. Now armed with newer rifles, many wearing the remnants of Continental Army uniforms, they were prepared to accomplish this goal. Findley, who had served as a Captain in the Revolution, took personal command of the "Westmoreland Company of the League for the Defense of Pennsylvania".

Marching north to Wilkes-Barre, capital of the Pennsylvania recognized Luzerne County. Luzerne County had been founded by Timothy Pickering, a man who Pennsylvania had entrusted to help bring a satisfactory ending to the dispute with the Yankees; Pickering had endured half a month of captivity at the hands of the Yankees, but was committed to his cause. By doing this, he had won their grudging respect; unfortunately, Pickering would be one of the victims of the State House Fire- his death led to increased mistrust between the still majority Yankee settlers in the region and the new Luzerne County administration.

The appearance of the Westmoreland Company served to exacerbate the tensions; having learned of Findley's advance, the Yankee citizens of Wilkes-Barre did two things; first, they sent riders North to cross New York and ride with all haste to Connecticut for aide. Second, they imprisoned the Pennsylvanian officials of Luzerne County and threw them in a rudimentary jail, while rallying men to face Findley's advance. The two sides met just outside of the town, where they exchanged jeers and threats. Findley and the Yankee militia leader met under a flag of truce, but it became apparent quickly that neither wished to negotiate. As the two returned to their lines to discuss their next move, a shot rang out. Historians still debate today whether it was an aimed shot, or an accidental discharge- some have even theorized it was an unaware hunter on a nearby hilltop.

Whatever the case, this was a shot with drastic consequences for the United States. Findley and the militia leader, both believing the other had attacked, ordered their men to open fire.

As smoke filled the air on an otherwise peaceful spring morning, the future of the United States became even more cloudy...

For ideas on what to do in the late 1700s and early 1800s, PM Thande (for starters)and/or Schonzzberry...

For maps, PM B_Munro or Reagent...

Waiting for more, of course...

For ideas on what to do in the late 1700s and early 1800s, PM Thande (for starters)and/or Schonzzberry...

For maps, PM B_Munro or Reagent...

Waiting for more, of course...
Thanks for the referrals! I will keep those in mind!

More will come a bit later today.

(Sorry for the double post with no update)

Question- what is the forum policy regarding the butterfly effect when it comes to figures? Is it okay to use real life figures in an Alternate History (like Turtledove) or is it required to use fictional figures due to the butterfly effect?

Thought I would ask earlier before this might have become an issue.

Thanks!

As far as I can tell, it's a thing of opinion. Some people say that anyone born after POD shouldn't be included, others say within fifty years, others more don`t even care.

(Sorry for the double post with no update)

Question- what is the forum policy regarding the butterfly effect when it comes to figures? Is it okay to use real life figures in an Alternate History (like Turtledove) or is it required to use fictional figures due to the butterfly effect?

Thought I would ask earlier before this might have become an issue.

Thanks!
Most users (including myself) prefer the butterfly effect, but I don't think there's any official forum rule regarding it. You can do whichever you way you like. IMO, it's unrealistic to have OTL people born (or at least conceived) after the PoD, but it can be an acceptable artistic license.