Our Man in Berlin: An Allohistorical Short Story

Japhy

Banned
Our Man in Berlin
A Short Story By Japhy​

ONE: Untitled Opening
This is how the world ends. Not with a bang, but with a Unilateral Declaration.

London had become a sad, odd place this spring morning as he headed down Shaftesbury Avenue. The streets quieter than normal, but not by any means abandoned. No, many a pedestrian continued their rounds as if nothing was happening. Many a cab rushed someone off to important meetings and meaningless rendezvous. But as they did so they passed windows being boarded up, and sacks on the make to being sandbags.

As the snug road gave way to the loosened up hub of Cambridge Circus Peter Fleming found himself glancing at the modestly-covered nude lady atop the Palace Theater. She was still there, but now more modest, wrapped up and bundled against the bombs everyone was sure would be on them soon.

And of course, prominently placed as an assurance to anyone who needed it, the barrel of an Heavy Machine Gun could be seen atop at least two of the other buildings around the junction. And at least part of their crews, old men in mothballed Territorial Uniforms were about, enjoying the snacks from the vendors.

Fleming knew what was coming. And while there was no time to spare took a moment to stop. Closed his eyes and took a breath before looking about. The children were gone. The rough and rude courteous pride was drained out of the city. Hammers from window covers going up ricochet about. He knew whatever else came, and whatever else was so wrong at this moment, distorting the city, this was the last time he’d see it in any semblance of what it was.

The Luftwaffe will be here soon, he thinks to himself, not giving away a thing of the reports he’s read They will be here with incendiaries, and high explosives and gas.

The war hasn’t even begun and London is already dead.

He looked about, one more time, took in everything he could. A snapshot to remember it all by.

He let out the breath and headed for the office.

Though the heavy old doors, past old Mr. Goodwin at the desk, a smile and a nod as the man pressed the button out of reach of any interloper. Though the steel gate and up the steps. Four flights up, three hallways. And then into the outer office.

“Hello Eve.” He offered a smile as he tossed his fedora expertly onto the top of the coat rack with the determined and precise skill of a Foreign Office Third Deputy Secretary. The Old Man’s young hatchet woman was in a pressed, perfect Navy Uniform, something Fleming had never seen her in before, sitting upright at her desk, a helmet and a gasmask hung with determined intent on the high of her chair, a moment's grab away.

Even with these dire times and this impressive entry of military precision into her formerly civilian office, Eve had to offer a smile as the hat rolled about on the pole before as usual coming to a perfect stop.

“It would be nice Peter if you prove to be able to toss other things so precisely these days.” She offered as she turned from it back to him.

“You’ve never seen my cricket game, my lovely. I’ll be just as good with a grenade when it comes to it.” He offered a cocky half-smile, a shit-eaters grin he’d spent quite a bit time developing.

She smiled once more, with the sad eyes he knew he’d had down on the street.

“How’s the Admiral dealing with all of it?” He asked. Other subjects, we can’t just stand here thinking about the end.

“He’s doing as well as anyone could have expected. He’s going to be sixty-two in a few months. The whole country needs him to go slower, get some rest. But no. He had me order a cot and a shaving kit brought up the other day. Keeps trying to figure who needs burning and who to light up. What reports to take and what reports to question. He’s going to kill himself at this ra---”

Eve’s impassioned fretting was cut off as suddenly the red padded door opened and there, as she said was The Old Man, aged more than a decade than when Fleming had last seen him two months ago. Burnt out eyes, the hunch of a man hurting, his hair a mess of hastily done combing, and a stubble that no ex-Admiral would ever have ever given permission to have even grown out.

“Alright Peter, come on then, work to do.” He waved the young point-man inside his office and closed the padded door behind him.

As Peter took his seat he couldn’t help but notice the standard Army cot and blanket, and the overloaded ashtrays atop the big desk. As he sat the Old Man walked over to the window to the left of his desk and stared out at the street below. Out of one pocket came a cigar and out of the other a light. With that sign, Fleming was quick to pull out his own pipe and begin the process of lighting up, all the while watching his boss and waiting.

As he struck his own match his boss finally spoke. “Baldwin said it again at the cabinet meeting last night.”

“Whats that Sir?” Fleming asked with a raised eyebrow.

“That damned quote of his. ‘The bomber will always get through.’ A mantra to stand aside.”

“I don’t normally work on the technical side of things sir, will they be able to get though?”

“Damned if I know, or anyone knows. But the RAF says if they can’t stop them they’ll at least make sure they can’t do it more than once.” The Admiral replied gruffly.

“And are we going to stand aside?”

“No. The Germans will cross the border sometime in the next three days. And then we’ll give them a deadline. And they won't listen. And then its war. The balloon will go up by the close of business hours on Friday.”

Peter sat in silence at that, puffing on his pipe as he tried to recover.

He bobbed his head about slightly as his eyes tried to regain the ability to stop on any one target, his voice though remained smooth, controlled, a skill he’d learned to handle as a ten year old boy when the news had come home from the last war. “Well then, I’d have to say I’d like to get my hands on a commission.”

“You already have one, welcome to the Navy Lieutenant Fleming.” The old man dismissed the topic with an off handed wave. “I don’t care how much time you spent playing sailor in Rio on your last assignment, you’re not getting sent off to a Destroyer, at least not yet. There’s work to be done, out of uniform still.”

“And that is sir?”

“I have a job. I am not exaggerating when I say this is the most important task in the Service right now.” As he spoke he walked back behind his desk and from one of the drawers pulled out a small manila folder.

“The head of the Swedish station received an interesting telephone two weeks ago, just before he left the office for the night. The caller spun an interesting little juicy bit about what's going on in Berlin, asking for a meeting with a representative of the Circus.”

“A trap.”

“I can’t discount the possibility but for the flavor of the information they handed us as proof of intent.” The Admiral finally took his seat as Fleming opened the file.

“They gave us the mobilization date, before it happened, down the hour the Fuehrer would announce it to the country.” He paused for just a beat. “And that the Lithuanians were going to agree to transit rights.”

“That didn’t happen until the other day.”

“The Skirpa government seems to have been sitting on the deal for a while now.”

“So you think it's legitimate, why not use someone we already have in Sweden or Germany to have the meeting.”

The Old Man straightened up at the question and was suddenly to Fleming’s surprise, the man he’d left before his recent escapade in Brazil.

“We can’t trust any of them. The Gestapo has gotten their claws into everything it seems, we’ve had to clear a lot of house. They want to meet in Germany itself. Which can be a trap or it makes a good deal of sense if they’re as high up as I think they are.

“And even if I could trust everyone in Berlin right now --- I’m don’t know if I can, and I have to know for this job --- they’re too busy covering up tracks and cleaning shop to play dangerous games in dark alleys.“

“But you can trust me, Sir?”

“You did the right thing in Brazil Fleming, so you’re the best man I have on hand.”

“When do I leave?”

“I could be sending you to your death Fleming.”

The young man pictured London under clouds of gas and smoke.

“All part of the job.” He offered as he took the pipe out of his mouth. “And that said, I’ll ask again Sir, when do I leave?”​

--------------------
Author's Note: This is a bit different than my normal stuff, for example astute readers will notice this isn't in East Asia. What this is is a bit of a short story I've been mucking about with for the past few months, first as a conventional TLIAD or Vignette but I decided to steal a very good page you should go read out of EdT's book and turn it into a short story. Should be no more than five parts, which should hopefully offer more illumination as to what exactly the divergent world we are facing is. Suffice to say I hope you will all find it interesting as I found the planning exercise, and as enjoyable as I found writing it once I settled on 'fun spy story' over anything of value.

Thoughts, Comments, and Critiques are as always welcome. So are "This is interesting to me posts." Not to be a big baby, but knowing if there's an audience really does help write these things. Next update should be in the next day or so.

Last edited:

Thande

Donor
There seem to be a mash-up of several different references here - Cambridge Circus from Le Carré, the name Fleming and 'the Admiral' from Bond...

Excellent stuff! Ian's older brother is an interesting character, and a good writer; Brazilian Adventure is an excellent read even today.

But what was Fleming up to in Brazil?
ls it linked to the mysterious disappearance of Percy Fawcett in the Mato Grosso jungle in 1925? That was the basis for Brazilian Adventure, a fictionalised account of the farcical 1932 Churchward expedition and it's attempt to locate the missing explorer. And Fawcett had his own links to the nascent British espionage services through he work with the RGS.

Or was it linked to the German Amazon expedition of 1935-37, led by Otto Schulz-Kampfhenkel, which explored along the Jari river. Supposedly they were engaged in scientific research in the border area with French Guyana.
The Amazon-Jary expedition was supported by Getulio Vargas, the Nazi sympathetic president of Brazil and sponsored by Heinrich Himmler and the Ahnenerbe and lavishly supplied (including a small amphibian aircraft) and dispatched hundreds of crates of material home to Germany.

Maybe it was it linked to the ‘Integralistas’ or Greenshirts, a prominent force in Brazilian politics in the 19302 and their attempted coup in 1938. After which the Brazilian political police (the Department of Social and Political Order) acted against them rather thoroughly.

Perhaps the Germans were attempting to establish bases in Brazil, with or without government knowledge. There was already a large German population in Brazil, from nineteenth century immigration and in the 1930s German airlines played in major part in Brazilian aviation. During World War 2 the United States feared Nazi infiltration in the Amazon, specifically secret airbases that might be used (possibly in concert with Japan) to launch an attack on the Panama Canal and disrupt shipping movement from the Atlantic to the Pacific. A report of a huge shipment of fuel being sailed up the Amazon by a group described (in official papers!) as ‘German monks’ was viewed by the FBI, US military intelligence and the State Department with alarm. Of course in the end there was no planned attack on the Panama Canal.

Oh and if you're interested in a flashback remember the AH airship trope. Now historically the airship Graf Zeppelin operated from Germany to Brazil from 1932 to 37, carrying mail, high value freight and passengers. It also overflew the Amazon and filmed the river from the air. The trip cost 1,500RM (~US$490), one way, in 1934. Departs every other Saturday, summer only. The trip takes a little over three days and there’s almost always a reporter on board, in case Fleming gets up to mischief...

Sinister experiments with cloning (OK it's a little early for The Boys from Brazil) or recovery attempts aimed at alien/extra-dimensional/precursor technology (from Fawcett's Lost City of Z) are entirely optional.

Japhy

Banned
There seem to be a mash-up of several different references here - Cambridge Circus from Le Carré, the name Fleming and 'the Admiral' from Bond...

Yes on both counts, though the Admiral is also more than a bit poorly based on and probably actually is Admiral Hugh Sinclair, actual commander of the SIS in the interwar era.

But what was Fleming up to in Brazil?

While I eagerly agree that Peter Fleming is still a great read today, I have to offer a bit of a let down when I say whatever happened in Brazil doesn't matter.

While I eagerly agree that Peter Fleming is still a great read today, I have to offer a bit of a let down when I say whatever happened in Brazil doesn't matter.
I didn't think you were going to cover it (a bit much to expect for a short).:)
It was just my interest in Fawcett (I collect historical oddities) triggered by the involvement of Fleming.

A nice piece.

Japhy

Banned
I'VE NEVER WRITTEN ANYTHING ABOUT ZEPPELINS IN AH BEFORE

TWO: Title Redacted

He wasn’t sure how they’d managed to make the smoking room mural gaudy, what with the need to put as little paint up as possible as part of the lighting aesthetic and the need to keep everything aboard the ships as light as possible, but they had done it.

Peter Fleming cooly puffed on his pipe as he say in an ultra-light wire frame chair, somewhere he presumed four thousand feet over the North Sea and a few feet below thousands of pounds of wonderful, safe Canadian-export helium. Nothing to worry about on DZR flights as the radio adtime they’d once bought on the world’s radio broadcasts.

Nothing except the war that might be here before we even make it to Berlin.

There wouldn’t be war yet, but the fact that the German government for whom DZR was a pride and joy prestige project of the Air Ministry thought this sort of mural was the right thing to present the world certainly showed why war was certainly on the way.

Because on an airship they’d gladly named the Freiherr von Richthofen in the most popular room on ship, they’d gone and painted not a world map, or some scene of von Zeppelin’s early work. Not even had they gone and done some waxingly romantic painting of one of the regime’s great heros flying high in that comically bright tri-plane.

No, they’d gone ahead and showed the world a lovely shot of their monstrous counter-revolution.

There, larger than life, with rough edges all about the outside, the SS in 1921 in the hills of Moravia, filthy trenches, bombed craters, some poor town burning in the background, the Red Baron himself, remade as an Aryan ubermensch, machine pistol slung under his arm, stick grenades dangling from his belt as with an upraised right arm he both direct and salutes the revolution. In the background ex-Polish-via-French tanks are pushing forward. Everything grey, black, brown, muddy shades of of green. Except for the richness of the blood and the flames. And the bright Red-White-Black of their swastika banners and armbands and helmet markings.

That's the Third Reich for you. This is it in a nutshell. When they should be just enjoying the view and a smoke, when their ministers and ambassadors travel, this is what they want to relax to.

They’re all mad.

No one else in the cabin seemed to be noticing. Not that that was surprising.

Most of them had the look of well off bankers and businessmen, even a few Foreign Ministry types --- real ones, as opposed to competitors to his sort of work --- all trying to get back home before anyone proposed internment camps in Parliament. He couldn’t blame them, surely there were plenty of folks leaving Berlin tonight with the same horrors in mind.

Lost in his thoughts about burning cities and the horror that German culture had become, he barely noticed as a blond-greying man took a seat in the German fashion at his table and went about smoking a Cigar.

“You don’t look like a Beamish boy.” He offered after a puff of what to Fleming smelled like a Cuban.

“I’m rather glad to hear that. I wouldn’t look good in those red uniforms.”

“Hmmph. Not a fan of the Action Party then. Quite peculiar for a man heading to Berlin on this night.” Came a slow response in an Rhinish accent.

“I’m a paper pusher in Whitehall most days, don’t much have time to go about trying to rough up shopkeepers.”

“Ahhh. Thats it then. You’re bringing a delivery of matches to the embassy then.”

“Well, I can’t imagine what else they might have loaded the Diplomatic Bag up with.” After a moment the German laughed.

“It won’t matter in the end, you know. The Fuehrer and your Prime Minister, Mr. Simon will find a way out of the mess the Poles have created.”

For a moment Fleming fought back the urge to start shouting obscenities at that, but decided against it. Unfortunately his companion took that as a sign of agreement.

“Oh of course this Paris-Warsaw Axis will have to be taken care of. But I’ve spent more than a decade in London, and if I know anything, its that the National Government will have the common sense to stand aside when de La Rocque decides to foam at the mouth and launch forward. They are smart men, they will not just leap into the abyss when they can take off their shackles.”

“It certainly would be nice for war to be avoided, I have to say.” Was all Fleming could offer.

I am a diplomatic secretary bringing in an emergency delivery. Nothing but exit visas. Whitehall pencil pushers don’t argue with random run of the mill businessmen. As annoying as this man was, he would maintain the cover he’d been given.

“Oh it certainly would, if we’re not dragged into it anyway. So long as we can avoid it with dignity. ‘Germany has nothing but her honor, she cannot lose it.’” The cigar-smoker had just quoted the first of these wretched Steel Chancellors. “You British are an honorable sort. Its the same for you, war would be about your Honor, and the world you have created since 1918. It is a shame you spend that Honor on Latvians and Poles. But it will be fine in the end. Soon enough your leaders will recognize that you have no greater partner than our Fuehrer and our nation. No, they’ll be no war. Just the two of us finally recognizing that together it is our destiny to lead Europe, and with it, the word.”

Too many hours spent wasting away next to the radio listening to Juenger for this one.

God he drones on terribly.

But to the rest of the smoking lounge, all Fleming offered was the occasional nod, to prove he was paying attention. When finally his guest wound down, he offered ‘his’ own thoughts.

“Across Europe we’ve got a lot of people interested in Peace. There’s no foreign office in the world that ever cheers for war, means we failed and all that kit. No, hopefully my bosses and the rest of them will be able to wrap this up. We’ve all learned from the last war.”

“Oh yes, it was dreadful, I was in Canada when it started, barely made it over the border to the US ahead of the mounties.” The man raised his eyebrows at that, hinting at what he must certainly think was an interesting story. “And then made it back to the Fatherland, as we all must do when the call comes. Russia, Verdun, even Istambul, served all over. Even knew Papen, back when he was just a staff officer, commanded my section. Quite terrible and exciting. You must have been too young to have seen it, no?”

“I was eleven when it ended. It was my Father’s war.” It was the truth, but so long as he didn’t mention his father being an MP it’d be fine, all part of the job.

“Tragic, your poor mother.” The German offered solely.

“Mother did alright, stiff upper lip for us children and all that.”

“Ah Yes! That classic English nerve. I must tell you, I’ve done business with so many of the movers and shakers of England, these Knights and Earls and Press Barons, and I will tell you, from the richest of them to the fellow who is watching my car in his garage, you all have that. Its the Aryan in your ancestry. Through thick and thin, Delhi and Mafeking, you all hold fast when the pressure hits. It's wonderful really. Very German. This bulldog John Bull of yours. He’d gladly join the Action Party and yell ‘Hurrah for the Redshirts!’ I’d say.

“My young man, that, that is how I know our two nations won't come to war. Your MPs--” Fleming noted to himself how the man pronounced it ‘Eem Pea’ to try and not think about what he was smiling and nodding over. “--- will surely recognize the madness the ship of state is being cast into. Oh I will be glad to return to my business in London in a week or two when its all settled.”

“I’m sure they’ll be glad to have you back, my good man.” Is all Peter could offer, these vaguely drunk rants --- though he could smell not a whiff of the stuff on this man --- were positively a draining way to end the day.

“Oh they will, I’m the favorite wine merchant of most of the sets about London. How they’ll celebrate the final peace settlement when it comes.”

Peter wasn’t sure what kind of set or club would choose a German as their wine salesmen but he made a mental note to make sure if he was a member of any, to leave it behind.

“I must tell you sir. I’d be quite grateful if that did come to pass. I truly, honestly would. You must understand though that I have to keep quite mum about such things.”

The German nodded, appreciating that Peter obviously must agree with everything he suggested.

“Oh yes of course, you are as you say, bringing in the diplomatic mail. That said if you’re in any way held up in Berlin, need anything, feel free to give me a call. Always love to help out a good fellow.” He reached into his suit jacket and retrived a card holder, and Peter was forced to gracefully accept the sliver of paper reading:

Joachim von Ribbentrop
Wines, Champagnes, Spirits​

“I’ll keep this on hand Herr von Ribbentrop. I’m quite grateful. I’m sad to say they don’t let you carry your cards when you’re on ministry business.”

“Oh of course my good man.” The German offered, his cigar, barely smoked amid the tirade, having turned into quite a bit of ash. “I must say though I’m afraid I didn’t catch your name.”

“Ah yes, sorry. Bond, Peter Bond.” The cover name was one he’d used quite a bit, very much something to use without problem anymore.

As Ribbentrop knocked ash into the table’s tray, both men wound up looking first towards the windows, they must be nearing the coast at this point, they’d be in Berlin by morning. Everything though, here was black. A wine dark sea the old student in the back of Peter’s mind suggested to describe the darkness below.

The smoking lounge was quieting down for the night, one generally did not pay the costs of a ticket on an overnight flight to spend it as if one was in a casino. Peter announced to his new ‘friend’ that he was going to have to call it a night and head to his bunk. The German nodded. As he turned towards the door though the mural caught his eye once more. Ribbentrop followed his eyes and a grin came across his face as he turned back to face Peter.

“A marvelous work, isn’t it?”

He didn't nod as he faced the smiling German. This time he couldn't. But as he stared at the brightly colored flames another quote came to his mind, far more recent than Homer.

Red and Orange and Yellow amid the muddled darkness. The horrors behind the Will to Victory.

The lamps are going out all over Europe, we shall not see them lit again.
--------------------
Thoughts, comments, critiques, questions-that-don't-involve-giving-away-the-plot, are as always, welcome, appreciated and humbly requested.

Japhy

Banned
I didn't think you were going to cover it (a bit much to expect for a short).:)
It was just my interest in Fawcett (I collect historical oddities) triggered by the involvement of Fleming.

A nice piece.

I mean, depending on how this goes, and the interest levels I should keep my options more open.

And thank you kindly.

Japhy

Banned
THREE: Highest Priority - Burn
When Peter Fleming was a boy there had been a revolution in Germany. In a flash the Kaiser and his tinpot chancellor were gone, the war over as Allied Troops had marched into the Rhineland and watched in awe across the whole fall as Germany tore itself apart. He’d found it amusing at the time, still hurting from his father’s death at the hands of these Huns. He hadn’t really understood what was happening, hadn’t cared when the President and Chairwoman of the Free Socialist Republic had been murdered. Nor later on when the Chancellor who had hoped their deaths would save him was slaughtered too, by the SS.

There was a story he’d read once about some horrifying battle where the stormtroopers had opened fire with heavy machine guns, spraying into packed crowd of unarmed civilians when the Spartakists had sought to flee into what they hoped was the safety of the masses. When it was all over, hundreds of people were dead, their corpses laid out all along the unprotected streets and sidewalks.

But no one was hiding behind the thick oaks of a broad lawn running alongside the sidewalk. No one who died had even thought to seek shelter behind them. The panicked crowd had been stopped from that safety by a sign reading “ Rasen Betreten Verboten”.

As he took in Berlin, he wondered if the city had ever been anything else but this cold monstrosity. A people who would obey every rule unto death like that were not the kind of people, it seemed to him, who could ever have made a real city, like London or New York.

No, Berlin was always like this, even before everything was rebuilt. No matter what the reds thought, Germany was always Vitalitist. Even before the putsch.

And the price of that fact was clear as day now. There were barely any men left in Berlin. Only women and boys and old men, and those in uniform. Everyone else was called up, headed to the Polish Border or the Rhine.

Still a few men around though Fleming thought as he passed another series of posters put up on the walls. Paintings of Kapp, van den Bruck, and Hugenberg, the Chancellors of Steel of the past praising the regime they had built. Bismark and Barbarossa, Bluecher and and Hindenberg, cheering the inevitable victory of this, the Third Reich.

And of course there was Der Fuehrer himself, everywhere. Atop a horse, at a podium, a knight in armor or a flag bearer or just staring forward like Lord Kitchener. Wherever you walked in Berlin, it was impossible not to catch a glimpse of that shaved head and broad mustache.

They’d been all over the aerodrome, even in the main concourse where all eyes should have been drawn to the bronze statue of von Richthofen, Goering and von Greim, the three martyr-heros that the Air Service had offered to the counter-revolution.

They’d been all along the street that the hotel Fleming was to check into, and he’d glimpsed them even as he’d placed a pot on the ledge of his room’s window and then left, very precisely, half the curtain open.

And of course they’d been staring, blankly, across the street from the British Embassy, where Fleming had stopped in as part of his cover, and to see the madhouse.

Everything was on the move when he’d entered and found MI-6’s Head of Station in the basement offices where the Passport Control Officers and Cultural Attaches generally worked on infiltration, blackmail and payoffs. They’d been burning everything.

Stewart Menzies’ sleeves were rolled up, and he had the look that Fleming as getting used to these days: prim and proper without sleep or shower. In spite of the fact that Menzies had probably been working non stop for days, the man was still at it, and the two of them could only talk as the man darted down the corridors, checking in with everyone’s progress.

“Mrs. Davis? Yes, that too, I don’t even want to leave them blank paper, we’ll make them pulp their own.”

“Thats taking it a bit too far isn’t it?” Fleming asked incredulously as he worked to keep up with the older man.

“The hell it is.” Menzies offered. “Right Richard, looks like you’ve gotten most of it now.” He said at another desk. Back to Fleming. “We’ve had to keep too much down here over the years. All the work we’ve had since the Embassy reopened really, far too dangerous to try and ship a lot of it out to London. So its sat here. The way things are going with the Poles it can start any minute too. I don’t care how much of it would be useless to them, all of its the only way.”

Fleming nodded, and a few more pep talks later they were in the small, soundproofed and locked office of the Chief of Station. There were, to no surprise, blankets and a pillow in a chair in the corner.

“Its not all exciting fun for those of us on Station work you know Fleming. A lot of boring work we shouldn’t have kept track of, but many of my predecessors were too old fashioned like that. But thats how one really goes about getting most of the goods. Not as glamorous as flights to Shanghai or dark alleys in New York.” He said with a hint of annoyance as he compared himself to the ‘Problem-solvers Bureau’. Fleming simply smiled politely, and stayed standing.

“Anyway, Control insisted that anything we can do to help you on this job is yours. Top Priority. I can assume you can’t go into detail though.”

“No, I’m afraid not. I need a gun though. Things might get hairy with what I have to do.”

“Easy enough, what’s your preference?”

“Going where I have to go, I’d prefer a Lewis Gun.” Peter offered a weak grin, Menzies returned it the same.

“Not sure how you’d go about fiting that under your coat.” He offered in a tone Peter rarely heard since he’d last disapointed a Professor.

“We’ve got some Webley-Fosberys up with the guards, and I’ve got some vest guns, Colt or Beretta, your pick.”

If I have to shoot my way out I’d like to be able to stand a chance. He didn’t mention. “I wouldn’t say no to a revolver and a Beretta.”

“It can’t really be that bad, whatever it is you're doing. You’d start the war all on your own. If you use both.”

“It’s probably go start no matter what the way things are going. I’m just not interested in being the first casualty.”

“Alright, I’ll have the Sergeant-at-Arms arm you before you go. Anything else?”

“No, I should be fine. I just need to stay in the Embassy for a while now, make it look like I actually came with emergency orders.”

“Right right, of course, I could use the help you know, another set of legs walking to the boiler.”

“I’d be glad to help. Can I ask you a few questions first though?”

The Station Chief eyes him over, obviously thinking about the work he still had to do, but his shoulders slumped a bit and he finally went to sit at the desk in spite of that.

He probably hasn’t taken a seat in a day or three, by the look of him.

“Ask away my boy, ask away.”

“Well first, do you mind if I smoke?” Peter asked, reaching into his pocket for his pipe.

“Actually I do. Sorry, gas back in ‘15.” He looked as apologetic as Fleming was thrown off. But he left the pipe in its place and kept going.

“Who would be the ones to hand over gold dust --- top level stuff mind you, but don’t ask what --- but gold dust just to pull one fast one on the Old Man right as the balloon was about to go up?”

His host was quiet for a moment, staring off to the right at one of the pictures on the opposite wall, a photo that looked like somewhere far to the North, Scandinavia, possibly even Russia is a tenth of the stories about Menzies were true. Or maybe just the Alps.

“Its hard to say, its the same in all of these Vitalist states, Germany, Hungary, Yugoslavia, Romania, none of them want anything too streamlined in the regime, everyone has their own fiefs. I’ve had to fight duels with the Reichspost before, they have their own people.” He sighed and stayed paused for a moment, eliminating other possibilities. “I couldn’t say for certain but if it was golden, real gold and we knew it, it's either Nebe or Nicolai or Diels.”

“It probably wasn’t the Abwehr.”

“Nebe or Diels then. Gestapo or SS Counter-intelligence. They’re both more or less on the up and up these days, young hungry types that really benefited from last years regime change.”

“I’d rather have to face down the Postal Service.”

“Only if you were in a normal country. Even the postmasters are monsters here.”

Fleming looked at the man for some sign of a joke, but found none.​

--------------------
Comments, questions more than welcome, especially as the hints are getting a bit big as to whats different about Germany.

Last edited:
Three: Highest Priority - Burn

But no one was hiding behind the thick oaks of a broad lawn running alongside the sidewalk. No one who died had even thought to seek shelter behind them. The panicked crowd had been stopped from that safety by a sign reading “ Rasen Betreten Verboten”.

In spite of my earlier praise for your work, I find jokes about massacres extremely tasteless and offensive.

Japhy

Banned
In spite of my earlier praise for your work, I find jokes about massacres extremely tasteless and offensive.
[/INDENT]

That actually happened, and it's not like the narrator is a good guy so it's staying in.

Japhy

Banned
FOUR: Wetworks Jobs

The curtain in the hotel window was still half-opened the next morning when Peter Fleming awoke.

Walking over to it, he looked down across the boulevard to note that posters of the Fuehrer had been pasted up the night before. Most were with a beige background, but on one brick wall, facing the hotel, there was a series of different posters pasted row after row. The background for these, was a dark blue.

Fleming reversed his curtains, dropping it down on the open side and pulling back the other half.

A shower, and a shave.

Breakfast ordered up by phone of scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, marmalade, jam and coffee.

A brief, painful read of no more than the front page of the Fatherland Front’s official paper the Vaterländische Beobachter.

The tone of the day changed instantly though as he finally arrived on the ground floor.

In the lobby he found it half-filled with brutes in the black uniforms of the Selbstschutz. A trio of officers speaking with the receptionist, others milled about, two of them with machine pistols. Only years of training, unpleasantly earned experience, and that natural calm that MI-6 sought him out for kept him from reaching under his suit jacket to find comfort on the holster of his Beretta.

What he did reach for was his papers, with the well worn experience of someone used to dealing with paramilitaries.

Brazil, Hungary, Germany--- not to mention New York --- its the same in half the world these days

One of the SS officers was quick to notice and stepped over. The man had a fencing scar on his left cheek that could easily have been a Glasgow smile, and spoke in what had once been Austrian-accented English. He began without even looking at the Passport.

“Ahhh, Mister Bond of the Foreign Office, just one of the men we were interested in seeing this day.” He offered a wide smile before looking at Fleming’s papers. “Are you enjoying your time here in Berlin?” He asked still flipping though the pages.

“Its always a lovely city to visit. I wish it were under better circumstances.”

The SS man glanced up for a moment to look at him, knowingly. “It is quite tragic, what the Poles are doing these days. Not to mention the Latvians.”

Fleming simply stood there, not offering a response.

“The circumstances Mr. Bond are actually why we’re visiting. One must speak to all the foreign nationals in Berlin these days. Especially those from countries that we are having unfortunate... misunderstandings with.”

“Well of course. But is there anything you need Herr Rittmeister?”

“Simply how long you plan to stay in Berlin in light of the current crisis.”

“As long as the Embassy requires me sir, I’m here because of the crisis.”

“Of course of course. Always one for doing your duty Mister Bond. Let us hope that things don’t get out of hand then, and that the Embassy does not require you here too much longer.”

And with that he handed the passport back over.

“Heil Trebitsch.” The officer offered only the most casual, passing form of the Roman Salute that was all the craze here in Germany. And passport back in his coat pocket, Fleming was off onto the street.

The streets of Berlin were covered in the Red-White-Black of the Fatherland Flag everywhere you went. The old Imperial banner with its fesses mutilated by the central circle and square, black swastika of the regime could be seen across the city, a concerted effort by Juenger’s propaganda ministry to bang the drum a bit more as word trickled in over the day of disputes with the Poles and Latvians.

The burning work of the Intelligence section at the Embassy was more or less wrapping up by the time Fleming arrived, Menzies overseeing the last cartons of papers to the boiler room, the man an image of something well past exhaustion. With nothing to be done there, Fleming decided the best course of action was to look the part of the spare courier and took to walking about the city.

It was innocent and mindless walking about. The meeting that he’d confirmed that morning wouldn’t happen until the afternoon. It was hard though to play the tourist. The men of the city all in their Field-Gray or Green or Black Uniforms, or just not there at all. The machine guns and ack-ack of London was as impossible to find as the living spirit that the other city had.

The Dark gray of brutal concrete and the cracked and crashing shades of white marble were all that could be scene on the broad boulevards. That and the banners, and the bald, mustachioed face of the leader, block after block after block.

Housefraus in their plane outfits, bustling about and counting ration coupons. Young boys in their semi-comic Bismarckjugend uniforms. The government workers not called up marching about in their party uniforms or their trenchcoats.

The Tiergarten pleasant woods offered a bit of a reprieve. Until the Platoon of Army troops appeared marching behind their band. Fleming had to stood there as they marched, the women and youth of the city saluting all around him.

Must be nice, he thought as the smart young things goose-stepped past. to have the sort of parents who can make sure you’re assigned to the Potsdam garrison. How many of them are even going to see action in the next month?

As he waited though, he noticed a man in a suit holding his trenchcoat on his left arm. The gentlemen was the sort of man found all over the world by men in Fleming’s trade, when you spotted them it was as if a sign appeared reading “Counterintelligence”

Diels or Nebe? He wondered, thinking back to what Menzies had said the night before. A memory from his days training when he’d first been recruited came to mind. It doesn’t matter who they work for if they’re on the wrong team. You’ll be just as dead if you get caught by one outfit or the other. A gruff Scottish Instructor offered. He’d been talking about the complex web of power politics in the Soviet Union, but it was true here.

Though the Potsdamer Platz, not even slowing down at the Wilhelmstrasse, the Gentlemen was still there, behind him as he turned north on Frederichstrasse, past the storefronts and cafes, always just far enough behind him. No sign of anyone else. Obviously Fleming couldn’t turn around to be sure, but the way the man operated implied that he was a lonely tail. Not part of a major play.

Not good though, not at all.

Was it just a general harassment? In line with the SS troopers at the hotel, tracking every unfriendly national in the city? Or was it a sign that the whole trip was a honeypot? That the Old Man had been had?

The only way to be sure would be to lose the man, and see what happened after. Take your time, remember your training.

The first thing was to enter a beer hall and order a drink. There were enough to chose from, and so a few minutes later Fleming was enjoying a rich Wheat Beer in a cool cellar. His friend didn’t appear at first, nor was he going to.

Fleming had tailed enough men on his own to know the game. And so he waited, enjoying the beer slowly, paying a few marks for some light eating, picked up a newspaper, created an image of relaxation. The door though, always within his peripheral vision.

Time passed slowly, the newspaper was pure bunk. Atrocities facing poor, suffering Lithuania and the terror of Pozan. The tail didn’t appear. There was only one way in, and the young opponent, be he from the Prussian Service or the National Police would be up there on the street somewhere, keeping the door in sight. Either a squad of uniforms would appear shortly or the man would keep waiting up there while Fleming enjoyed his beer.

The lunch crowd came, and while others would sit at his table, besides the basic courtesies the Berliners were certainly more pleasant company than that Ribbentrop fellow had been, letting Fleming drink and read in peace.

Eventually though, the crowd started to thin out. Soldiers and Government workers started to leave and Flemings time had come himself.

He was quick into the bathroom at the back of the hall, slicking his hair back in a close facsimile to one of the styles popular amid the Fatherland Front dues paying set. His hat, for all that he liked it was left behind on his table, his trenchcoat carried in his right arm, the shoulder holster for the Webley taken off and securely tucked into the coat’s inner pocket. He unbuttoned the top of his shirt and loosened his tie, offering just enough of the look of a man returning to the office after a refreshing break.

Returning to the bar, he paid for a shot of Ubderberg and closed his eyes for a brief moment, savoring the taste of the spices and pine. And then it was a quick bounding up the steps, before anyone tried to return his hat to him. A moment before he stepped out, he slouched, and his next step out onto the street was a shuffle, he was a shorter man than he’d walked in as.

He’s to your left. He thought, as he adjusted himself to the early-afternoon sun. No need to look. The rough Scot was back A right handed man will always wait for you on your left when you take that break. Its how the mind works. Don’t bother looking once you know what hand he uses. He’ll be there. Plan your next step accordingly.

Nothing much had changed on the street, the men of Berlin had not for example returned to their pre-crisis lives. Nor had the city stumbled upon a soul, it was still as harsh, still as straight and dead as it had been the first time he’d ever visited.

As he started to meander down the road his hand found itself in his trousers pocket, the cold metal of the Beretta not picked up but offering assurance in the event this didn’t work.

He headed North again, towards the shade and the slightly denser crowds of the Unter den Linden, and there suddenly was the man, standing outside of a cafe, waiting for him to pass. He ignored him all the while tracking his movements. The man wasn’t as well trained as he, failing to keep his eyes off his target as Fleming walked by.

There was no one else though at least. But still, with no more than two hours to go before he had to be in position, the time had come to get rid of this now bored and distracted fellow. The man was still there, behind him, as Fleming finally reached the shade of the Basswood trees.

As Fleming had hoped the main street of the German State wasn’t as vacant as others in the city were. Children and Women and more men then one easily found elsewhere in Berlin were about, and soon enough came the martial noise of another military procession. Working his way to a point in the thin crowds gathering to watch the latest Company march as part of the cheap propaganda gained by deploying Garrison troops into the city, he caught his tail in the corner of his eye. The man in position, yet again on his left, to keep an eye on his target as all traffic stopped for a few minutes.

This march was one of black shirted troops, their machine pistols carried under their shoulders, leaving the bright, white ruins on their collars and epaulettes clear for all to see. Their bandleaders playing not the National Anthem but the March of the Volunteer Horse Guards, the ballad of the Counter-Revolution as it had marched through Bavaria, Berlin, Bohemia and the Baltic. As they closed in the crowd started to salute, the street was clear except for them.

Now.

Fleming straightened up and bolted across the avenue just as the first drummer approached, he was halfway across by the time the opposition even noticed he was going. Pushing aside a child in his youth uniform he was quick to throw his trench coat on as he started towards the British Embassy, his right arm squeezing down the sleeve as the revolver in its holster made it too snug. His back straightened and with his free hand he was quick to push his hair back into place.

Not perfect, but it’ll do.

As he headed west, away from the marching troops he could see the Brandenburg Gate, not to mention the British Embassy, where he’d have rushed had things not worked, he felt at ease. Having beaten the fellow there was no need for the refuge, and as soon as he reached the Wilhelmstrasse once more he turned north, towards the Spree.

He was passing the abandoned but well maintained Reichstag when as he glanced behind him he discovered though, that it hadn’t quite worked. There was his tail. A bit worse for the wear. But still there.

Plan B then.

His hand back in his pocket to reach for the Beretta. The bridge ahead was pretty empty, it would have to be there.

This would be problematic.

Halfway across the Bridge, he stopped, and turned to face the river. The footsteps of his tail continued to approach.

One shot, in the chest, then run.

He took a deep breath.

And then suddenly, the sound of a horn. He glanced back to see a Mercedes driving up and stopping at his tail. A quick back and forth and suddenly the tail was getting into the car as they drove off.

As they passed him on the bridge Fleming was dumbfounded.

This isn’t how things happen.

Very quickly he turned around and started heading back towards the city center.​
--------------------
Thoughts, Comments, Questions more than welcome

Just caught up on the story and I am enjoying it. I am waiting for more reveals and changes from OTL. Post when you can and I will be following th rest of the story. :cool:

Well, what a gem this is. You capture an element of Fleming (the other one) in your writing, though the worldbuilding is more EdT-esque. The zeppelin scene was particularly well-put-together, I felt I was there. Kappist Berlin looks fun, almost like what a 1920s comic book writer would have predicted the Nazis would be like. A bit more scrappy, more rooted in tradition than Hitler-worship. And your choice of Fuhrer is absolutely inspired.

I wonder who Peter is here to kill. And whether he'll succeed, or events will overtake his mission altogether.

Bravo, Japhy. I look forward to more.

I do not, and I am reminded of Stephen Fry's response to the phrase 'I find that offensive'.

That actually happened, and it's not like the narrator is a good guy so it's staying in.

Well, quite - I think this was obvious. It read like a 'too brutal to be fictional' story, I am not surprised it was true.