OTL Election maps resources thread

Thande

Donor
Sadly true, yes. What I think I may do is select a more limited range, from 0-70 and then eliminate intermediate colours to make it more obvious where support is located. But I just wanted to make the maps quickly after spending a good chunk of last night and this morning working on the main one :p
Indeed, they're excellent maps. I don't think any colour scale is perfect, I was just making an observation.

Indeed, they're excellent maps. I don't think any colour scale is perfect, I was just making an observation.

I know, you're 100% right on the observation though. I think once I'm back from Holland next week I'll make it again with a more clearly visible colour scheme.

Suddenly realised it would be easier just to post the pie chart so @Thande can insert it into the Northumberland map.
1 pie chart.png

So on May 9th, the city of North Miami held municipal elections, much of which were uncontested. However, the mayor's office was contested by four people. Incumbent Mayor Smith Joseph, whose tenure was marked by nothing important done besides regular municipal work, not fixing our corruption, and after a year, charging the officer involved in the shooting of an unarmed African American man. He faced off against Danielle Beauvais, a Haitian doctor, Hector Medina, an old Cuban doctor, and Tyrone Hill, a school teacher. There was one debate that was so low key and irrelevant I did not even know it existed. The result was predictable.
north miami 2017 total.png

No candidate besides Joseph got over 20%. Joseph got 59%, avoiding a runoff. Medina got the votes of much of the whites and Cubans that voted (turnout was very low at 15.81%) and so won the only precinct with a white plurality. Joseph's highest percentages were in the Haitian heavy west. I'll try to make a support map for all four.

Chicxulub

Banned
Here is a map of voter turnout in the 40th British Columbia General Election, which took place on May 14, 2013. The riding with the lowest turnout was Richmond Centre (43.65%), while the riding with the highest turnout was Oak Bay-Gordon Head (69.56%). The overall turnout was 57.10%.

upload_2017-5-17_2-31-59.png

We just had an off-year, off-season election here in Portland for local school board positions and ballot initiatives.

It's been a turbulent year for the school district. Lead was discovered in the drinking water; a public health disaster and an indication of the sorry state of our infrastructure. Voters on the state level rejected a corporate tax initative in November and left Oregon's public schools in a budget hole. The district was sued to the tune of $1 million for racial harassment. The search for a new superintendent has been an inconclusive mess. No doubt prompted by the chaos, turnout for this election was higher than usual at a staggering 31%.

*​

Most importantly, voters overwhelmingly approved city measure 26-193, raising property taxes to repair and modernize PPS buildings. Portlanders also voted to allow taxes on AirBnBs and to award more independence to the city auditor's office.

Two of the three vacant positions on the school board were filled by overwhelming majority. Scott Bailey took 62% of the vote against two minnows in Zone 5. Former board member Julia Brim-Edwards took nearly 67% in Zone 6 against a fractured opposition. Brim-Edwards's nearest opponent was Trisha Parks, a teachers' union official who pulled in 16%; nobody else broke 10%.

I mapped the only race that was even vaguely close: the Zone 4 contest between Rita Moore and Jamila Singleton Munson. This one was interesting. Singleton Munson is a black woman and was supported by a broad slew of local racial justice and community groups – understandably, given the aforementioned lawsuit and a lingering racial achievement gap in Oregon schools. However, she also has deep roots in private education and the charter school movement: before moving to Portland, she was a charter school principal. It’s no surprise that folks were a little suspicious of her conversion to the cause of public schooling. The teachers’ union and other left-wing and labor groups endorsed Moore, a PTA activist, instead. So did most local newspapers, praising Moore’s longer history of involvement in the Portland school system.

Moore won handily, 58% to 42%, but the unusual coalitions formed in this election turned Portland’s normal political geography on its head.

JgIkNXp.png

Rather than the river or freeway as dividing lines, the city is mottled. Singleton Munson’s support is strongest in the inner North and Northeast neighborhoods that used to form the core of Portland’s African-American community. While these neighborhoods have been gentrified over the past two decades, pushing black Portlanders towards the periphery of the city, they’re still home to traditionally black churches and other institutions that got the vote out for Singleton Munson.

*​

The zones overlap; I could vote in all three and I chose Moore, Bailey, and Parks respectively.

For the first time in my life I’d actually met one of the candidates outside a campaign setting. Zach Babb, running in Zone 6, attended Reed College for a while and we were both part of a student club that organized beer gardens on campus. Babb dropped out to become a successful app developer – he designed the mobile ticketing program first used by Portland’s public transit authority and now copied around the world. He didn’t have much of a profile in the race, though, and only pulled in 2.18% of the vote.

Here is a map of voter turnout in the 40th British Columbia General Election, which took place on May 14, 2013. The riding with the lowest turnout was Richmond Centre (43.65%), while the riding with the highest turnout was Oak Bay-Gordon Head (69.56%). The overall turnout was 57.10%.

View attachment 323001
Interesting that lots of people turned out to vote in the three ridings the Greens won. They were banking on a theme of "We will win when people are motivated to vote" and that seems to be true in those areas, at least.

Chicxulub

Banned
Interesting that lots of people turned out to vote in the three ridings the Greens won. They were banking on a theme of "We will win when people are motivated to vote" and that seems to be true in those areas, at least.
That's from 2013, the Greens won three ridings in 2017.