Of lost monkeys and broken vehicles

At the moment it seems to me that it would be... highly counterproductive. We are talking about operating Ilona/Gisela here. So 10 German divisions erupting out of the Pyrenees, securing the passes and advancing to Barcelona should the British (or Americans I suppose) land in Iberia. Which starts with problems like... where do you find 10 divisions? For the time being it makes much more sense to let the Spanish kill each other and support to the extend possible the Falangists after all both the Axis and the Allies have higher priorities elsewhere.

Of course after Tunisia goes down the Allies will be getting quite a bit of German and Italian munitions for free that are mostly useless for them. Ok they could ship it to the Middle East or even to the Iranian corridor but why bother doing so?

Near East fronts map September 1st, 1942
Not 100% accurate, I'm not good at map making but close enough for governments and artillery work. :angel:

Hellas September 1942.png

How much worst will the Soviet casualties be with the addition of Turkey when the war ends?
As of September 1942 they have taken roughly 94,000 casualties in the Caucasus front. Of course they have taken somewhat lower casualties in Ukraine. On the third hand this is not counting civilian casualties in Turkish occupied parts of Georgia and Armenia...

Not 100% accurate, I'm not good at map making but close enough for governments and artillery work. :angel:

View attachment 755936
Finally seeing some movement from the occupied territories is great tbf. The Liberation of Greece is becoming closer which is great.

On another topic will ittl there's an Alawite mandate right? Considering Alexandretta is part of Syria would an Alawite state that basically consists of all of Syria's coast be plausible? What're the Alawites doing at this point?

Finally seeing some movement from the occupied territories is great tbf. The Liberation of Greece is becoming closer which is great.

On another topic will ittl there's an Alawite mandate right? Considering Alexandretta is part of Syria would an Alawite state that basically consists of all of Syria's coast be plausible? What're the Alawites doing at this point?
There is a Alawite state as part of the French Syrian mandate and the Alawis form roughly a quarter of the Free French troops recruited from Syria and Lebanon, quite higher than their share of the population. How that evolves? Someone would question what happens to Syria as a whole. Frex how are Syrian nationalists being affected by their country being in the forefront of the fighting with large French and British armies operating out of it? How are their relations with Abdullah, even in OTL he would had liked to make a grab for Syria and here on paper at least his position is much stronger? What about the Syrian Kurds and their own statelet with the Iraqi Kurds having proclaimed their own state and an active SOE backed Kurdish insurrection in Turkey?

There is a Alawite state as part of the French Syrian mandate and the Alawis form roughly a quarter of the Free French troops recruited from Syria and Lebanon, quite higher than their share of the population. How that evolves? Someone would question what happens to Syria as a whole. Frex how are Syrian nationalists being affected by their country being in the forefront of the fighting with large French and British armies operating out of it? How are their relations with Abdullah, even in OTL he would had liked to make a grab for Syria and here on paper at least his position is much stronger? What about the Syrian Kurds and their own statelet with the Iraqi Kurds having proclaimed their own state and an active SOE backed Kurdish insurrection in Turkey?
Well a united Kurdistan would be cock blocked by the Assyrian state right between the Kurdish state at Syria/Turkey and Iraq so I could see Assyria having to fight for its sovereignty against Kurdistan. I do think Abdullah would want all of Syria but I'd like to see him try to take it all (and fail miserably as Israel gets established) which would allow for a division between a greater Alawite state and the Arabs in the interior.

Last edited:
Now with the axis forces and especially the Luftwaffe been tied up in the east would it be possible for Greece to retake Lemnos; it would be only airport that the allied can get their hands in that it within 1000km from the Romanian oilfields

I can see that there will be many expulsions of the Turks to come after the Allies win. Greece will not forget the massacres and they will not want the Turks on their (hopefully) newly acquired land. The Greeks may even remove the minarets off Hagia Sophia and fully turn it into a church as revenge for the hanging of the Ecumenical Patriarch and massacre of clergy. I'm looking forward to what comes next!

View attachment 755936
Shouldn't the westermost tip of Propontis also be yellow (international zone occupied by Turkey).
Also, any news on occupied Constantinople. What is turkish rule like there? How are local Greeks and Armenians faring? I guess, unlikely the Ionian Greeks, they were not really able to evacuate somewhere safe.

Shouldn't the westermost tip of Propontis also be yellow (international zone occupied by Turkey).
Also, any news on occupied Constantinople. What is turkish rule like there? How are local Greeks and Armenians faring? I guess, unlikely the Ionian Greeks, they were not really able to evacuate somewhere safe.
Now the Thracian chersonesos in owned by greece per treaty of sevres

Now with the axis forces and especially the Luftwaffe been tied up in the east would it be possible for Greece to retake Lemnos; it would be only airport that the allied can get their hands in that it within 1000km from the Romanian oilfields
The Axis still has an eroding uper hand in the air over the Balkans, Caucasus and Middle East, as of September you have 562 Western Allied and 320 Soviet aircraft facing off 1,069 Axis aircraft. Of course out of said 1,069 aircraft 222 are Bulgarian, 365 Turkish and321 Italian all of which are a very mixed bag quality wise, from excellent to passable to completely obsolete.
Also does greece have any plans to replace the metric gauge railway network in the Peloponnese with standard gauge?
Not during wartime. Other railroads will have priority.
in our timeline the germans were still bombing london regularly.

with more fronts, is that possible in this timeline?
Generaly speaking the Germans are not diverting to the Near East front resources they had not sent there... or to North Africa TTL. The Bulgarians and Turks have obviously a much more active... and costly war. The Royal Bulgarian Air Force for example has lost 236 aircraft since June 1941 and the THK 343 more.

I can see that there will be many expulsions of the Turks to come after the Allies win. Greece will not forget the massacres and they will not want the Turks on their (hopefully) newly acquired land. The Greeks may even remove the minarets off Hagia Sophia and fully turn it into a church as revenge for the hanging of the Ecumenical Patriarch and massacre of clergy. I'm looking forward to what comes next!
We... shall see what we shall see. If Constantinople becomes Greek post war, it's certain it will be full time a church.
Just a matter of where the brush hits...
Not nice is an understandment. The Turkish army has no reason to play nice and for good measure you'll also have a German presence in the City. Not good for your heath particularly if Jewish.
Also what happened to sophia vempo; does she became a singers ttl aswell;
Don't see why she does not...

Unfortunately yes but the WAllies have fought the Turks too many times for them to not allow Greece and the USSR to dismantle Turkey. Ittl post war Turkey only has Cilicia left, and extremism with Greek and Soviet intervention will destroy what's left.

Unfortunately yes but the WAllies have fought the Turks too many times for them to not allow Greece and the USSR to dismantle Turkey. Ittl post war Turkey only has Cilicia left, and extremism with Greek and Soviet intervention will destroy what's left.
That depends on the situation at the end of the war...