Most Anglophile US possible.

If you ask a Brazilian how we see Portugal, a common response is that Brazil is the son of Portugal ; if you ask an American about their vision of the USA it usually results in that old saying "they are our cousins".

I was wondering how close can we get the USA to the United kingdom with a 1900s PoD. Maybe by getting the US army to be in the commonwealth and use British uniforms.

I think that something interesting that could lead to that is if Wilson, who already is a racist, did a massive renaming campaign across America to change city names for English, so replace Los Angeles with "Angel City" and adopt English as the official US language.

Maybe the American intervention in WWI could happen too late, so Germany wins and you have the US to come close to the UK in response. What do you think?

If you ask a Brazilian how we see Portugal, a common response is that Brazil is the son of Portugal ; if you ask an American about their vision of the USA it usually results in that old saying "they are our cousins".

I was wondering how close can we get the USA to the United kingdom with a 1900s PoD. Maybe by getting the US army to be in the commonwealth and use British uniforms.

I think that something interesting that could lead to that is if Wilson, who already is a racist, did a massive renaming campaign across America to change city names for English, so replace Los Angeles with "Angel City" and adopt English as the official US language.

Maybe the American intervention in WWI could happen too late, so Germany wins and you have the US to come close to the UK in response. What do you think?
OTL as honestly it’s already pretty unbelievable that we got over our hostility as well as we did

Ugh, I was gonna say something about some army managing to land in Britain during or before the American Revolution resulting in the british being too busy fighting the invading forces off to do something about the colonials seizing the opportunity to proclaim independence, ensuring a peaceful break-up
...and then I saw this was in the Post-1900 forum
Dang it

Well, one thing that could help make Americans more anglophilic than they are already are would be to have some way of ensuring that British popular culture is more prevalent in America than OTL. For instance, maybe in this timeline, somehow, the center of the film industry is somewhere in the UK, rather than in Hollywood. I don't know how that would actually come to be, though.

Dont think anyone is denying that, just wondering what the maximum of that would be

With a post 1900 POD it would be hard. If the US had a similar colonial history to Canada and Australia and a peaceful transition to independence vs revolution then for sure we would see an even more Anglophile US.

Post 1900 however, maybe an earlier joining higher casualty experience in WW1 for the US, that would create a sort of a unity bond with what Great Britain went through in that war.

Last edited:
The US is already Anglophile
I cannot comment on the bulk of the USA today but my French mother worked for the US army in Morocco in 1942/3 and found many of them were significantly anglophobic. 82 years and various events have passed since then so today things will doubtless have changed.

POD for that would be 1775 at the latest, afterwards it's just downright impossible, OTL is the best case scenario for US-UK relations after an event like the Revolutionary War.
I cannot comment on the bulk of the USA today but my French mother worked for the US army in Morocco in 1942/3 and found many of them were significantly anglophobic. 82 years and various events have passed since then so today things will doubtless have changed.
Without knowing what your mother would consider anglophobic or how representative her experiences were it's hard to say how Anglophobic the US actually was back then, but given America's consistently pro-British leanings even before joining the war (to the point of Americans volunteering to serve in the British or Canadian forces instead of waiting for the US to formally join) it's hard to say it was a very Anglophobic country in general back then IMO.

Increase the amount of UK media in the US post 1918.

The problem is by 1918 the US has not only matured into a self supporting media market, the UK is broke enough it can't really afford to splurge on new technology like films. The US because of its population was always going to grow into the major English speaking media center, but WWI made it a curb stomp.

I’ll bite

After ww2 US actively props up the British colonial empire while systematically dismantling the French Portuguese Spanish etc

Supports UK militarily in suez Malaysia Aden etc

Deploys forces to completely quell the IRA

Gifts expensive big item military items like aircraft carriers to UK their upkeep paid for by US taxpayers