MLK Liv es! Dr. King, Media Mogul - A Collaborative TL

The 2nd post explains why I changed this to a collaborative TL, because the one mentioned a few small paragraphs down is over 4 years old. However, feel free to borrow from it.

Anyway, I was just thinking late at night about the fact that Dr. King had the heart reportedly of a 65 year old man when he was shot.

The rest of his body was healthy enough that I think he would survive, but I don't see him being able to keep up his schedule a home lot longer. Talk of him getting into politics is unlikely, I see him having a heart attack sometime in the early seventies.

Actually, instead of starting a new timeline if it is OK and someone wants to do it, this collaborative timeline would be a good place for this idea.

Basically, orders to slow down, King would realize that he needs to find other ways to become influential in society. Recalling that Frederick Douglass was the most photographed man of the 19th century, and how the early civil rights leader used media to his advantage, Doctor king decides that he will instead meet with large numbers of Hollywood people to try to produce television shows and even get his own network if possible although that is a stretch.

How far would he get doing this? I think it is fairly plausible new direction for him. I think of performers like John Amos, Nichelle Nichols, and Ivan Dixon - who left Hogan's Heroes in 1970 to pursue directing and producing - who would probably enjoy working on some of these projects. Because king was so big on full integration, he would also try to recruit plenty of whites. Perhaps Norman Lear would get on board., among others.

I don't know if a new network is plausible, perhaps a burgeoning production studio would be.

I think as long as he delegates authority well And it doesn't try to put all the stress upon himself, after such a heart attack Dr. King could still have another decade or more of life. President Eisenhower was a man of 65 who had a heart attack and he lived 14 more years While serving another term as president.

How far do you think doctor Kenwood make it in this realm?

Last edited:
Opening of Collaborative TL
I can't promise to work on this a lot, but had my own ideas for the collab. mentioned above. I decided to add the following to it. Becasue mybe people would rather do this as a collaborative one. We already have a few of course, so maybe we're saturated with them, but I thought I'd try.

I suspect it went off the rails because there was, you know, so little actually about Dr. King. :) It looks like debate surrounding the 1968 election caused this. So, I'll jump a little...

(Incorporation of some of this one)

Apr. 4, 1968 - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. is fired upon by a shooter in Memphis, TN;the man misses.
Apr.-May: Never one to miss a chance to gain popularity points, Richard Nixon meets with Dr. King and later via letter requests support Seeing that Dr. King's support is near an all-time high because he surived, Nixon grudgingly agrees when King insists that, in return, Nixon disavow the support of men like Strom Thurmond. He reported mutters to one of his aides, "This had <expletive deleted) better be worth it."

Summer, 1968: Nixon chooses John Volpe of MAssachusetts as his running mate, joking that he would "take the battle to the Kennedy heartland."

NOv., 1968: Nixon wins election as President.

Winter, 1968-9: In meetings with Dr. King and various Civil Rights leaders, Nixon notes that Dr. King looks quite tired, more so than he had ever seen him. King admits that he'd been feeling a bit sick off and on for about a year but couldn't put his finger on why.

Feb. 26, 1969: For the second straight day, Coretta Scott King notices her husband seems a little hort of breath. Despite his protestations, she finally convinces him that he needs to do more than just "take it easy" as doctors had been advising him. before when he'd been getting weary. She drives him to a local hospital.

Feb. 27, 1969: "This is Walter Cronkite. In tongiht's top story, the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King underwent durgery late yesterday for a heart condition...Doctors say that while he is expected to recover, they note that he has, and I quote, 'the heart of a man of 65.'..."

Feb. 28, 169: In what would be one of his last public acts, former President Dwight D. Eisenhower issues a public letter of thanks and well wishes to Dr. King. He tells reporters that, "I called Dr. King early this morning and he was in good spirits. I reminded him that if he had the heart of a man of 65, then it was about the age mine was when I had my heart attack. I have survived almost 14 years and served another term as President. I am sure he will be able to do many great thigns still on this Earth."

Mar. 28: Dr. King pays tribute to former President Eisenhower after he passes away, noting that "America lost a great general, greater leader, and great man today." He acknowledges Ike's letter, but notes that, "Sadly, my doctors have advised me that I need to slow down. As I am still recovering somewhat, I am exploring a variety of avenues. However, one thing is for certain. I will work in whatever capacity I can to help Americans to realize my dream of ful integration between our races." When asked what he would be doing, he says he will wait a few days and then reply.

Apr. 14: A meeting of black entertainers in California might have gone unnoticed, except for reports that Dr. King was there, in his first public event since his heart surgery. When asked by the reporter who spotted him, he will only say that: "A century ago, Frederick Douglass saw the power of the new medium of photography to deliver his message. While recovering, I have developed some ideas of my own which will attempt to demonstrate the positive impact integration can have on all races through the media in today's world." Speculation runs from a talk show all the way to trying to form his own movie studio or TV network. The latter will turn out to be far more accurate.

Apr. Okay, if someone wants they can take it from here. If not, no problem.