Map Thread XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, the OTL USSR got as far as half as Germany. Where's the USSR in OTL 2022?
And much of Eastern Europe lags behind western Europe as a result. it's not the geography I'm quibbling about, rather that Germany would be dealing with the effects of having been a giant-sized GDR, although depending on which this world's USSR democratized, they might be ahead of OTLs eastern Europe in recovering.

A normal Map
Modern Ebbot Republic.png

Updated my previously "work-in-progress" map to include New England.
The United Provinces of the New Netherlands.png

1)The Commonwealth of New England (Boston)

Chief Language: English

Chief Religion: Protestantism (Religious tolerance exists in theory. but in practice, the non-Protestant population is vanishingly small. Catholic and other immigrants from Europe tended to go to the New Netherlands, Florida, the Cubas, Louisiana or Mexico.)

Government: Parliamentary democracy, somewhat more conservative and less tolerant than the New Netherlands

Neighbors: New France on the North, the New Netherlands on the West.

Relations With Their Neighbors: Longstanding territorial disputes with New France, whom they think of as a hereditary enemy. Has set aside similar disputes with the New Netherlands, with the realization that they need Nieuw Amsterdam's good offices as a counterweight to Québec.

Note: A small nation that feels "hemmed in" by its neighbors. Has an international reputation as a "nation of small-town lawyers".
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2)The United Provinces of the New Netherlands (Nieuw Amsterdam)

Chief Language: Amerikaans (I'm imagining something closer to the ancestral Dutch than OTL Afrikaans is, but further than American English is from British English is, if that makes any sense, which it may not)

Chief Religions: Protestantism, Catholicism (Various flavors of Christianity are the vast majority, but religious tolerance is practiced.)

Government: Parliamentary democracy, what we would call "left of center", with racial tolerance and tolerance for persons of different sexualities, and so on. It's not a paradise, but overall, it's a pretty good place to live.

Neighbors: New France on the North, New England on the East, Louisiana and Virginia on the South, and Lakhota and Mexico on the West.

Relations With Their Neighbors:
  1. Lakhota: the :Lakhota are a proud people, and make much of the fact that they are the only Native North American people to retain their independence, but their leaders are well aware that they retained their independence because the Mexicans, New Netherlanders and New French found it expedient to leave them as a buffer state rather than fight a war over the territory. Relations with the New Netherlands are generally good, and Nieuw Amsterdam allows the Lakhota to maintain certain sacred sites on their territory.
  2. Lousiana: The New Netherlanders get along well enough with the genial kleptocrats in Nouvelle-Orléans, the moreso since neither of them likes the Virginians much.
  3. Mexico: Mexico is one of TTL's super-powers, stretching from the border with Imperial Russia (about midway through IOTL's British Columbia) down into South America. The Mexicans consider the Americas their sphere of influence and like their neighbors to behave themselves, so everyone tends to keep quiet so the Mexicans won't decide to "teach" them how to behave.
  4. New England: There were territorial disputes in the early Nineteenth Century, Later, the Yankees were happy to have the good offices of Nieuw Amsterdam to keep the New French off their backs.
  5. New France: Relations are cool but correct. There are no current disputes, but the two nations are not overly fond of one another, largely because New France sees the New Netherlanders as being too cozy with their old rivals in Louisiana.
  6. Virginia: There were disputes in the Ninetenth Century over Nieuw Amsterdam's refusal to return escaped slaves, coming close to war on more than one occasion. However, the fact that they are surrounded by nations that don'tb like them much (The New Netherlands, Lousiana and Florida on the south) have kept them from getting too frisky.

Note: Heavily into what we would call "green" or "alternative" energy sources. Think of themselves as the "one sane nation" in the Americas.

And much of Eastern Europe lags behind western Europe as a result. it's not the geography I'm quibbling about, rather that Germany would be dealing with the effects of having been a giant-sized GDR, although depending on which this world's USSR democratized, they might be ahead of OTLs eastern Europe in recovering.
USSR wasn't nearly as oppressive as OTL ITTL.

"Our fathers have sinned, and are not: and we have borne their iniquities. Servants have ruled over us: there was none to redeem us out of their hand. We fetched our bread at the peril of our lives, because of the sword in the desert. Our skin was burnt as an oven, by reason of the violence of the famine." - Lamentations 5:7-10

Over the summer, I read Francis Fukuyama's The Origins of Political Order. He describes the mamluk system as one way of overcoming the natural human propensity for using government to empower one's relatives. He then briefly noted its demise and reflected that the Ottoman Empire's "survival into the twentieth century was explained by the adoption of Western institutions... This was ultimately not sufficient to preserve the regime, and the Turkish Republic that succeeded it was based on entirely different institutional principles." This set in motion a dreadful chain of thought in my mind: What if it was the other way around? What if a system of regularly kidnapping the children of vassal peoples and raising them as officers and bureaucrats had become the dominant way of attempting to combat corruption? I imagined a world where a state that offered its citizens a chance at merit-based testing into the government was seen as a rogue state, founded on principles alien to modernity as it existed elsewhere in the world.

I do not think this is a particularly realistic scenario, both because plagues can't just arbitrarily be deadlier (I tried to at least take this into account more than a certain novel), but also because the mamluk system is not an equally good way of rooting out corruption. The states that practiced it fell behind politically and economically. And this is good. We are far better off for resembling the Rogue Empire.

Mamluk Modernity.png

Cross-posting from the MotF:
"In Nineteen Hundred and Twenty Nine, the Vozhd made his verdict on Transoxiana known. In Dushanbe the party faithful dined, and in Tashkent the people groaned."
dfk3th7-1d520ee4-46bd-46fc-9d5a-cd29fd0d15ce.png

Basically, Tajikistan gets its territorial claims advanced in 1929.

Last edited:

Stretch

Donor
What is being referred to with these 5 descriptions;-
- "the most fortunate"
- the Counter
- the second
- the third
- Invisible

also
Why was a monkey tried in court and hung in Hartlepool?
For the second, it was allegedly because they thought it was a French spy due to them having never seen a monkey before.

"Our fathers have sinned, and are not: and we have borne their iniquities. Servants have ruled over us: there was none to redeem us out of their hand. We fetched our bread at the peril of our lives, because of the sword in the desert. Our skin was burnt as an oven, by reason of the violence of the famine." - Lamentations 5:7-10

Over the summer, I read Francis Fukuyama's The Origins of Political Order. He describes the mamluk system as one way of overcoming the natural human propensity for using government to empower one's relatives. He then briefly noted its demise and reflected that the Ottoman Empire's "survival into the twentieth century was explained by the adoption of Western institutions... This was ultimately not sufficient to preserve the regime, and the Turkish Republic that succeeded it was based on entirely different institutional principles." This set in motion a dreadful chain of thought in my mind: What if it was the other way around? What if a system of regularly kidnapping the children of vassal peoples and raising them as officers and bureaucrats had become the dominant way of attempting to combat corruption? I imagined a world where a state that offered its citizens a chance at merit-based testing into the government was seen as a rogue state, founded on principles alien to modernity as it existed elsewhere in the world.

I do not think this is a particularly realistic scenario, both because plagues can't just arbitrarily be deadlier (I tried to at least take this into account more than a certain novel), but also because the mamluk system is not an equally good way of rooting out corruption. The states that practiced it fell behind politically and economically. And this is good. We are far better off for resembling the Rogue Empire.

View attachment 795329
Upside down maps have no right confusing me that much 🤣

Cross-posting from the MotF:

dfk3th7-9dcfeb3a-116a-4f0f-b562-1e456d99df8a.png

Basically, Tajikistan gets its territorial claims advanced in 1929.
Uzbekistan screw? I love this because I hate Uzbekistan (it’s not political and “for chat” if this “hatred” is an inside joke I have with myself because of a bad breakup with an Uzbek girl).

min all seriousness well made map, the scenario is absolutely on meth. Can’t wait to see what they’ll look like as independent states.

View attachment 795329
Great job!

Is this the one I encouraged you to continue?

AFSNES Empires 2.png

Hello everybody!
This is my sixth map in my series based of AFSNES, a collaborative alternate history map-game hosted in Civ Fanatics Forum many years ago.

After my last Map, in wich I depicted the four greates Empires of TTL's Middle East, I moved East, to India and beyond. There, an offshoot of the Indus Valley civilization developed to its south, on the coast, called the Avyaktagaran civilzation. Never united under a singular empire, the Avyaktagaran cities battled for naval, commercial and colonial opportuinities all over the Indian ocean, founding colonies as far as Andana (OTL'S Madagascar) and Atanam (OTL's Philippines), with trade network going even beyond, to China and the Mediterranean.

The Avyaktagaran civilization found itself at the forefront of many areas, like naval technology, engineering mathemathics and philosopy; its cultural influence spread far and wide, and its main religion, Paramatmanism, divided in many school of thought like the Coalescent Vehicle,the Essentialist Vehicle, or the Annihilation Tendency cults, found many converts all over Asia, and influenced other religious like Yawheism (the faith of the Hebrews of the Indian Ocean Diaspora) or Slavutianism (a tribal slavic faith inspired by indian missionaries).
Despite the greatness of Avyaktagara, the Indian subcontinent was always characterized by many competing cultures, more or less influenced, but never subjugated; many, like the southern Kingdom of Assaka, were almost integrated, others, like the eastern power of Magadha and its successors state, Bangha, forged great empires, and sponsored competing religions like Buddhism. India was also frequently invaded from the north and the west, and many Central Asian cultures, like the Sakas and the Huns found themselves at home in the subcontinent.

The first of the empires I depicted is the Nyarnan Irinate. Nyayana is the greatest of the Avyaktagaran cities, protected by impregnable defences, with far-flung colonies all over the western Indian Ocean, and always in competition with the other naval powers like Nubia and Bahulatva. Despite this, its greatest extent was achieved not over the sea, but over the land, with the reign of Irin (an elective monarch/dictator) Balani, who tried to secure Nyayana position achieving complete hegemony over Northern India.

The second empire is Second (or Later) Magadha, a land based and Buddhist Empire that centuries before Morari almost achieved his dream of Northern Indian Hegemony, defeating the land based Ascendancy (a centralized city-state league) of Ahar, and being defied only by Nyayana itself and the tribal Sakas.

The third empire is the Sitivasas High Kingdom, an empire forged by a Avyaktagaranized Huna warlord, Konavrttaijt, that finally achieved hegemony over the subcontinent, managing even to keep it together and defend it from external enemies, and evend subduing the ever defiant city of Nyayana, breaching its seemingly-impregnable defences.

The fourth and last is the Samtakatan Ascendancy, a sea-based Thalassocracy that became the hegemon of the Avyaktagaran colonies of the East, and forged a strong and profitable trade network between India and China, helping the spread of Indian culture and religion to the Far East.

As I said, this map is focused on India, or the Avyaktagaran world; next in the series I will focus on empires from China.
As I already detailed in my previous maps write-ups, do mind that the scenario depicted is not my creation, and I had a minimal contribution in its creation (I was one of the many players involved); The main “culprit” was the moderator of AFSNES, Das, that coordinated the player efforts into as realistic as possible way.
The other players involved in the creation of the four empires will be detailed in the Credits.
Please enjoy my new map! Any feedback is appreciated.

CREDITS
Kal’thzar – Nubia, Ashaism, Watchur and its successor states, Tarekid Amsurate
Israelite9191 – Israel and the Diaspora to the Indian Ocean
Azale – Samarkand, Jomon
alex994 – Xishan, Zhongshan and Guangling
Silver 2039 – Maghada, Buddhism and Tibet
ThomAnder – Luoyang, Kingdom of Nam, Mohism
Disenfrancised – The whole Avyaktaraga civilization, Paramantism, Zuubhrabhanu
Niklas – Ur and its various empires, Agade Dag
Neverwonagame3 – Karung and Karrism
Oruc – Khitans, Neo-Khitan Empire, Xiongnu,

Upside down maps have no right confusing me that much 🤣
Part of why there are so many side maps. And they'd say our maps are up-side-down.
Great job!

Is this the one I encouraged you to continue?
I think so! I wasn't sure about it at first, but I'm pleased with how it came out (and glad to finally get it done). I'm not sure that I'll do any more dystopian maps until next year (though I have a couple in the works).

Nicely done, as usual for @Reagent ! Looks like their maximal claims, or something close to it: the Uzbeks got seriously reamed over. Did they do something to piss Stalin off?
I didn't really sort out the back story in much detail, but yes, the Uzbeks did something to make Stalin favor the Tajiks (and the other central Asian republics) vis-a-vis the Uzbeks. Karakalpakstan never gets transferred from Kazakhstan to Uzbekistan for the same reason.

This was the map I based things on (though I made some border corrections in a few areas):

Mz2ayln.png

Beatriz

Gone Fishin'
What would be worse would be if the USSR's internal borders had been drawn along economic lines not really even corresponding to ethncity

Status
Not open for further replies.