Map Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 221370
Finally I got my map to work and you guys can finally criticize it.:)

Well, I suppose this is your first then :

-What is the Point of Divergence, or what made it possible? Maybe you don't have one, and that's no really annoying, but it looks a bit random.

- Convergence. Your borders (inner and external) are really close to what really exist today in the south-eastern part.
There's a fairly good use of longitude lines, on the other hand : you avoid the most obvious trap of map thread, known as "straight line syndrome".

Central Australian State doesn't make a great deal of sense, tough. Isn't the whole place the equivalent of an uninhabited desert, mostly because it is an uninhabited desert?

Central Australian State doesn't make a great deal of sense, tough. Isn't the whole place the equivalent of an uninhabited desert, mostly because it is an uninhabited desert?

Well, there was a proposed state/territory with roughly those borders, and it would be a logical location for an aboriginal 'homeland'.

- Convergence. Your borders (inner and external) are really close to what really exist today in the south-eastern part.
That's because there aren't many things to make borders around in Australia. The river (as here and OTL) or watersheds basically.

It could still survive. It would be mineral rich, low population, possibly a tax haven or something.

That's because there aren't many things to make borders around in Australia. The river (as here and OTL) or watersheds basically.

It could still survive. It would be mineral rich, low population, possibly a tax haven or something.
Perhaps it even becomes as successful as the Central African Republic or the Central African Empire.

Different geographical marks could be used, mountains or other feature to mark lines (as used in Africa.) Nothing says, unless there's a giant longitudal line painted on soil to mark the northern border of South Australia?

Without water reserve, or access to sea? People inhabiting there doesn't need to drink or trade efficiently anything? At the very best, it would make it a bantustan for a neighboring state.

Well, I suppose this is your first then :

-What is the Point of Divergence, or what made it possible? Maybe you don't have one, and that's no really annoying, but it looks a bit random.

There's a fairly good use of longitude lines, on the other hand : you avoid the most obvious trap of map thread, known as "straight line syndrome".

Thanks for that. Um...... where to begin....
It is part of TL that I've been working on for almost a year. The PoD is when the US wants the 54-40 boarder up in Oregon country, and ends up going to war against the British and wins. But with Australia, the Dutch snagged the north, the french snagged the west, and the british got the rest. ITTL the falkland war was the start of WWIII. The UK suffered many early defeats and their economy was colapsing. They preformmed an tactical nuclear strike on Buenos Aires. Their excuse was they were trying to reclaim the claims in Patagonia. this breaks the Monroe Doctrine leading to American involvment, invasion of canada, and ultimately a collapse of the UK (much like the USSR in OTL) and her commenwealths. Southern Australia wanted independence, the british royal family fled to still loyal Queensland, New Virginia gained independence, but as for the Central Australian Republic, I'm still not quiet sure. Maybe its more inhabited than OTL or something along those lines. thank you for your time; there will be more to come maps wise.:D

The late 1840s were a gruelling time for the peoples of Europe. The hungry forties saw the spectre of famine visit every corner of the continent from Corke to Lvov. In 1848 the French monarchy fell and the Second French Republic was installed. Little did the Jacobins know that this act would spiral into a decade of warfare which would shatter the post-Napoleonic order and forge a new, uneasy European status quo.

Nice - my principal objection is that too many people seem to be too successful too fast. :)

Now up next, is an ASB ISOT, based upon a plan for one on map thread XI (I think). Basically, Japan on the 6th of July 1937 to the 6th of July 1894, shortly before the First Sino-Japanese war. I couldnt' find a good map for either time period, so I used an old one and edited it. Anyway,
vlBhNTc.png

What kind of carnage is going to happen after this?

Does anyone recall a map with no less than four big-ass roman successor states/empires? It was a half-globe map IIRC, and there was a big egyptian empire, a big greek empire, and I can't exactly recall the other two.

Bruce

I think I remember. There was also a Western empire and a north africa empire. Wasn´t it a "Lets Darkness fall"-map?

Without water reserve, or access to sea? People inhabiting there doesn't need to drink or trade efficiently anything? At the very best, it would make it a bantustan for a neighboring state.

Like I said, that was a territory for a brief period, and it's been suggested that it be resurrected as an Australian Nunavut. In the circumstances, it actually could work as an independent Aboriginal state- small capital at Alice Springs, mostly nomadic population elsewhere. It would be very sparsely populated and probably surviving more as a buffer state between the others, but it's not totally unfeasible.

Like I said, that was a territory for a brief period, and it's been suggested that it be resurrected as an Australian Nunavut. In the circumstances, it actually could work as an independent Aboriginal state- small capital at Alice Springs, mostly nomadic population elsewhere. It would be very sparsely populated and probably surviving more as a buffer state between the others, but it's not totally unfeasible.
Thats more or less what i was going for. " an Australian Nunavut", i like it. It is though, more of a neutral, buffer state; kinda like Switzerland.

A few comments, Ephraim:

Thank you, I'm surprised more people aren't commenting, but perhaps it's the nature of the topic.

1. 16 Kilotons is not a fluke - that's engineering. That's the same output as the Hiroshima bomb. You need some fairly precise ramming together of U-235 pieces with high explosive to get a yield like that. A runaway critical mass giving them all lethal radiation poisoning seems likelier...

Point, that does seem a little high. I was thinking that someone was experimenting with suspending one hemisphere of enriched Uranium over another and moving them closer and closer, then something slipped. Perhaps that isn't feasible- I'm not an atomic scientist. Do you know where I could find information on runaway critical masses on the web?

2. I suspect Russia is going to be in rather fewer pieces before long - a lot of those states seem a bit tenuous.

Yes, the situation there is still evolving and most governments are far from secure.

3. Why haven't Hungary's neighbors piled on as OTL?

OTL it was Romania, the Czechs, and the Slovenians (primarily the Romanians) who beat the HSR. ITTL the Central Powers were in a much stronger position at the end of the war and the break-up of Austria-Hungary was far less messy. ITTL's Treaty of Versailles didn't award Romania (which had been entirely occupied by the CPs) Transylvania but instead recognized an independent Hungarian Republic controlling most of the former Kingdom of Hungary. It wasn't until later that the communists overthrew the government, taking control of a state whose borders and existence had been internationally recognized. They didn't claim any territory in the State of Slovenes, Croats, and Serbs, and took power with the aid of the marginalized Czech population who gained cultural autonomy under the new government. That eliminated two major opponents (the Czechs still aren't fully happy, they want political autonomy), the fact that Romania was too battered to get involved eliminates a third. Poland tried, but they're not doing so well.

4. Bomb Germany's nuclear project. Well, that's going to do a good job on reducing that antisemitism. :p

They're not exactly Iraq, are they?:rolleyes:

5. I can imagine the conspiracy theorists - the Elders of Zion have sent Israel back in time with evil Einstein-science to save it from well-justified destruction and to take over the world in the past... :)

Bruce

Oh believe me, they're having a field day.

Point, that does seem a little high. I was thinking that someone was experimenting with suspending one hemisphere of enriched Uranium over another and moving them closer and closer, then something slipped. Perhaps that isn't feasible- I'm not an atomic scientist. Do you know where I could find information on runaway critical masses on the web?

Sounds just like the Demon Core (except with Uranium.) You wouldn't get an atomic explosion with a runaway critical mass, just a shitload of radiation, like Bruce said.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon_core

Nice - my principal objection is that too many people seem to be too successful too fast. :)

Cheers. I should note that most of the borders, especially the chartered colonial ones, are statements of legal ownership rather than of actual de jure control. I guess just like in 1914 the French didn't actually control every square inch of the Sahara, but it's still all coloured in blue.

Any more comments? I think I've got bottom of the page syndrome, and I think it's kind of a neat idea I had...

Status
Not open for further replies.