Maid of Norway, Queen of Scotland: A Plantagenet Britain Timeline

If it's a boy, Edward (for Edward's father), Eric (for Margaret's father), Alexander (for Margaret's grandfather) or Henry (for Edward's grandfather)

If it's a girl, Eleanor or Margaret (the names of both Edward and Margaret's parents and grandparents)

Hold on, everyone! It is too early to talk about the names for the future children of Margaret and Edward. They are not even married yet! Let's wait for several years to pass in the timeline before suggesting the names, shall we?

Hold on, everyone! It is too early to talk about the names for the future children of Margaret and Edward. They are not even married yet! Let's wait for several years to pass in the timeline before suggesting the names, shall we?
It's been mentioned in the last chapter that Margaret is still too young to be interested in boys yet.

Chapter XX - Lady Constance
March 1294. Whitehall Palace, England.

Little Constance of Windsor babbled in her governess’ arms as Hugues de Bourgogne, the French envoy, silently observed her. She was a child of seven months, with curly brown hair and dark blue eyes inherited from her mother, dressed in a magnificent gown of green velvet bordered by cloth-of-gold and a white wool bonnet over her head.

The governess knew that Hugues could see her good weight and health, as she rocked the child gently in her strong arms. Isabella de Beauchamp was an English heiress and a trusted servant of the King, who chose her to raise his youngest daughter. Her father was the Earl of Warwick, a powerful and wealthy man, and the added allowance of being governess allowed her a great deal of independence from him.

“She is pretty,” said Hugues. “How does she eat?”

“Lady Constance eats well, monsieur,” said Isabella. “We have just begun to introduce solids to her and she shows herself to be very strong, and eager to mature.” He nodded.

“And her health?” the ambassador asked.

“She is sturdy,” Isabella promised.

Hugues looked back at King Edward, who observed the situation silently. He stepped away from the governess, who curtsied respectfully to him and Yolande herself, who had been present, moved towards the noblewoman.

“Give me my baby,” she demanded in a soft bell-like voice. Isabella had seen the Queen only a handful of times before, most of them when she was still in Windsor recovering from the labour. She was still a soft and pretty young woman, with a slender and womanly figure even in the early months of her second pregnancy.

But she took Lady Constance expertly, perhaps knowing that the King's eyes were upon her and smiled at her. Although the Queen was a stranger to her child, the baby did not cry and instead, took hold of the golden crucifix in her mother's neck. Lady Constance immediately attempted to stuff it in her pink mouth and the Queen laughed at that, a high and singsong laugh.

“Come, sweet girl,” she said, loud enough for all to hear. “Let the men do their politicking while we see what cakes the kitchens have prepared.” Isabella watched her go for only a moment before she made to follow her, five steps behind the Queen and her charge.

As they went, Edward turned back to the ambassador. “My Yolande,” he murmured when the man arched his brow. “She clearly has no interest in politics, as you can see.” He gestured at the table spread with grants of land and money, as well as plenty of goblets and cups for them to quench their thirst. “Come. Let us begin.”

“Look at her,” Egidia said, as the little queen stopped before the window. Margaret was watching Queen Yolande ride into the castle, as the King came out to greet her after another long morning with her charities. The Queen of England smiled at her husband as he put his hands on her waist and removed her from the horse himself. “She has no care for the child in her womb.”

“Why do you say that?” Margaret asked. They had been in England for only a handful of months, but Egidia Stewart made it clear her distaste for the English Queen nearly every time they saw her.

“Why does she feel the need to ride out into the city every day, with only a handful of guards?” Egidia asked. “It’s because the King wants her to. He wants her to be charitable, to be loved and so she is. She performs to his desires, all the while pretending she has none of her own.” She stroked the back of Margaret’s head, which was uncovered by veils in the intimacy of her personal chambers. “Why do you need to walk behind her, when you’re a queen more powerful than she is? Is it because the King forces his so-called superiority over us, or is it because she asked him to?”

“Édouard is half in love with her,” Margaret murmured, a hint of jealousy behind her words. “I see the way he looks at her.”

Egidia made a face. “Well, she is his mother in the eyes of God, so nothing will come from that,” she said. “And when you two are grown, he will only have eyes for you, my lady. Don’t you fret.”

Margaret moved away from the window, as Yolande and her husband had already entered the castle and looked at Egidia. The governess was now picking up her sewing again, and Margaret sat by her feet, leaning her head over Egidia’s knees. That made her laugh and she stroked the little queen’s hair again, softly running her fingers through the golden locks.

“Don’t worry about the English queen, my lady,” said Egidia. “Yolande’s power comes from her husband and how much he loves her. Your power comes from yourself and one day, you’ll sit on the throne and she will be a simple widow, with nothing to speak for herself.”

Margaret smiled, but said nothing.

“Édouard is half in love with her,” Margaret murmured, a hint of jealousy behind her words. “I see the way he looks at her.”
Interesting that margaret is already a little possessive of jr...hopefully it means she's not as indifferent to him as she would have us believe, though i think at, what, 11 or 12 years old she definitely has time for those feelings to develop too

Interesting that margaret is already a little possessive of jr...hopefully it means she's not as indifferent to him as she would have us believe, though i think at, what, 11 or 12 years old she definitely has time for those feelings to develop too
Actually how old are the kids( Margaret and Edward Jr) ? Are they technically already married or are they still just betrothed and won’t be until they come of age?

Actually how old are the kids( Margaret and Edward Jr) ? Are they technically already married or are they still just betrothed and won’t be until they come of age?
So according to wiki Edward is almost 10 and Margaret has either just turned 11 or will be 11 very soon. I’m not sure about the latter question but Edward won’t reach the canonical age for marriage (14 for males) for another 4 years so until then…

Margaret is eleven or turns eleven very soon. Her exact birthdate not seem being known. Edward Jr. is about one month away ten years. They are not married yet since they are not at legal age.

One day Yolande will just be a fancy widow while Margaret will be a queen twice over. Yolande ain’t got shit on our girl!

I hope Margret being jealous over lil Ed means she does like him lol. I do wanna see more of them together!

They are in the Betrothal is binding era so they're considered the King and Queen of Scotland, but the marriage hasn't been celebrated yet.

One day Yolande will just be a fancy widow while Margaret will be a queen twice over. Yolande ain’t got shit on our girl!

I hope Margret being jealous over lil Ed means she does like him lol. I do wanna see more of them together!
Why is everyone hating on Yolande ? 😄😄 So far she seems ok, but who knows how long that will last. Also I agree, it is cute that little Margaret is showing signs of jealousy and not understanding why. As they get older I hope they come to terms with their feelings.

Why is everyone hating on Yolande ? 😄😄 So far she seems ok, but who knows how long that will last. Also I agree, it is cute that little Margaret is showing signs of jealousy and not understanding why. As they get older I hope they come to terms with their feelings.
I actually don’t hate her. She just seems a bit petty and all trying to one up a child. But lol it is cute and no doubt the queen of Scotland won’t share what’s hers.

Last edited:
I'm gonna go on a limb and it's because as a female rivalry, or sorta, and Margaret is the MC, it's easy to dislike her.

But I don't hate Yolande. I love her, in fact.

But I don't hate Yolande. I love her, in fact.
Well, sir, you signed your death warrant, as most people seem to want Yolande to suffer extreme amounts of pain.
(Not me, though. I can really understand why she wants to assert her rights, because she knows that they are going to completely end once her husband dies, which will be even worse when you consider she will not get the rights reserved for the Queen Mother (is this the right term?))

She's a interesting character and I certainly understand why she wants to shore up her position incase Edward dies. Given that she's not the mother of his heir.