Lyon Comes East or One War at a Time

Visions of War

On the eve before his trip from Springfield to Washington to take the oath of office and become the sixteenth President of the United States, Abraham Lincoln has a visionary dream. His dream is about another trip, a trip to a distant battlefield where he will commemorate the large battlefield to the cause for which the many who died fought for. On this trip to commemorate a great battle, he views a landscape torn by war. The countryside outside of his train window is not one that is torn by a single battle, but one that is scarred by years of warfare. This is the portion of the dream that disturbs him the most.

He says nothing about his dream to others the next day as he boards a train and leaves Springfield, Ill. Even though he does not talk about it, he thinks about the vision that he had. He comes to the conclusion that a war will be needed to bring the South back into the Union. The war that he envisions is not to be an easy campaign, but one that will be longer, costlier, and bloodier than anything that the country has been through. But it is one that he is resolved to engage in to preserve the Union as that is his sole mission as POTUS.

Knowing that a long war will be needed, Lincoln also resolves that he will not start the war. He will protect the Union but he will not fire the first shots or spill the first blood. Instead he will prepare the country for a protracted war. He knows that the country is not ready nor does it support a war at this time, but he can slowly prepare the country for what is to happen. He wants to surround himself with good minds for the upcoming struggle and as such, his decisions for cabinet and military posts are based upon the need for a looming war more than for political reasons. Along with selecting the cabinet and advisers, one of first tasks is to form an overall strategy for the war. His public words will be of peace and reconciliation but he will prepare the leadership, the military and the industry of the North for war.

When he reaches Washington for his inauguration, he knows firmly what he has to do.

Last edited:
I'm assuming by Lyon you mean Lord Lyons, British envoy to the United States during much of the Civil War? if so then it's LYONS with an S.

not trying to be picky, but I've done a lot of research on the guy.

Benjamin

I'm assuming by Lyon you mean Lord Lyons, British envoy to the United States during much of the Civil War? if so then it's LYONS with an S.

not trying to be picky, but I've done a lot of research on the guy.

Benjamin

Actually a main person will be Nathaniel Lyon, a Union general who is credited with ensuring that Missouri did not fall into Confederate hands in 1861. I am using him with a play on the book by Newt Gingrich titles "Grant Comes East." I also like the old Rocky and Bullwinkle shows that had two titles.

By the way, I enjoyed your thread on the alternative battle of Germantown.

And I may need your input on Lord Lyons a bit later.

Thank you

I thought it would be an interesting human geography pod. Perhaps the Rhone's flow is diverted? Maybe French settlement occurs differently.

Actually a main person will be Nathaniel Lyon, a Union general who is credited with ensuring that Missouri did not fall into Confederate hands in 1861. I am using him with a play on the book by Newt Gingrich titles "Grant Comes East." I also like the old Rocky and Bullwinkle shows that had two titles.

By the way, I enjoyed your thread on the alternative battle of Germantown.

And I may need your input on Lord Lyons a bit later.

Thank you

Ah, yes I forgot about him. Shame he died too early. Thank you the kind words. I look forward to reading more of this TL.

Benjamin

The puppet becomes the master – selection of the cabinet and strategy team

Lincoln had already selected most cabinet positions by the time that he left Springfield in February. They were actually mainly political rivals to his candidacy. The positions of Vice President to Hamlin, Secretary of State to Seward, and Treasury to Chase were made to provide unity in the Republican party. Seward and Chase were his main rivals in the 1860 Republican nomination. Positions such as Gideon Welles as Navy Secretary from New England, Montgomery Blair from Maryland as Postmaster General , and Edward Bates from Missouri as Attorney General were made for sectional representation in the cabinet. All of these positions were confirmed by the Senate the day after his inauguration.

A main position that he had yet to select was the position of Secretary of War.

Initial plans were for Simon Cameron to become Secretary of War. These plans were made by Lincoln backers that Cameron would have a role in the administration. It would also have a Pennsylvanian in the administration. Since the election though, Lincoln had doubts upon the fitness of Cameron for the position. Lincoln planned to fill the position once he arrived in Washington. During his trip, after which he came to the conclusion that military action was in the future to secure the Union, he was thankful that he had made no promises. He now wanted a Secretary who would have the same views that he had upon the need for a long and protracted war.

Lincoln also wanted to meet with the aging Winfield Scott to obtain his views on who to select for this important post, strategy for the war, and his next moves. Previous to his trip to Washington, Lincoln had a distant relationship with Scott through other Republicans in Washington, mainly Elihu Washburne. Lincoln had a brief discussion with Scott at a main inauguration ball. Lincoln stated that he wanted more time with Scott on the following day. Scott was the one person that Lincoln wished to talk to the most after officially being POTUS.

The following day (March 6, 1861), the two had an extensive meeting, mainly to review candidates for War Secretary. Lincoln stated that he wanted the position to aid in mobilizing the country than for the strategy and execution of the war. Lincoln thanked Scott for his loyalty for the Union and wanted him to be a large part of the strategy team for the upcoming events. Both were decided that the federal government would not let any more institutions fall into Confederate hands. These institutions would be defended.

For the selection of Secretary of War, Scott was impressed by Edwin Stanton and his defense of the Union and anti-secession views that he held as Buchanan’s Attorney General. Furthermore, Stanton already knew of the current situation and would be a good transition to War Secretary; he would be a step ahead of others. Lincoln stated that he would give it some more thought. Lincoln concluded the initial meeting by wanting to talk again tomorrow with Scott.

On March 7, Lincoln concluded that Stanton was to be the man for the job. He was still in Washington. Lincoln contacted him through a courier. Both Lincoln and Scott were present at the White House when Stanton arrived. Stanton eagerly accepted the position as War Secretary stating that he would do anything to preserve the Union. With Scott present, Lincoln stated that he wanted Stanton to aid the effort in mobilizing the nation for the war to come. Stanton was confirmed by the Senate and the cabinet was complete.

In the following days, a strategy team of Scott, Stanton, Seward, Hamlin, Gideon Welles, and Lincoln would meet often to go over events and plans. Four main strategic views were adopted;
1.) The border states must be preserved, for this, no obtrusive move by Lincoln would be made. All of his public words would be mainly for preservation of the Union and reconciliation of the regions.
2.) Federal property that still exists in the Confederacy must be protected
3.) The USA would not begin the fight
4.) Preparation would be needed for the war ahead
a. A grand strategy would need to be adopted
b. The resources of the Union would need to be aligned to the strategy
c. Leadership of the armed forces would need to be selected.

The grand strategy had yet to be adopted but would be in coming weeks. The team was unified that the need for a longer, protracted war would be needed. Senior military leadership would be primarily chosen for their belief in this view. Leadership selection along with the grand strategy would be adopted later.

Initially Lincoln’s cabinet thought of him as weak and being able to be controlled, that they would be the masters and he would be the puppet. Within these first few days, they were surprised at his will and intellect of matters. They saw him as more of a thinker and a shrewd politician. He had a vision and a plan and was in the process of using them to formulate a strategy. After this initial week, they now had a new respect for him.

Last edited:
Nathaniel Lyon's an interesting character. He's actually the current president in my time line.

Yes, I thought more alternate timelines would include him. Since he died early in the war and his main service was in the boondocks of the country, not as many know about his character. As you point out in your time line, he is an ardent abolitionist. There are many alternate histories on what if "Stonewall" Jackson survives, I have seen few if any of what would happen if Lyon was not shot Wilson's Creek.

This time line will explore him both surviving to see September 1861 and coming East where his qualities of taking the initiative, having strong leadership, decisiveness of action, and being strategic come into play. He had political connections of New England and was liked by the radical Republicans for his anti slavery views. This gives him a check for political connections that was also needed to be a general in the East.

To solve these two main problems in my time line, I will not even have him at Wilson's Creek. Even if he did survive the battle of Wilson's creek, he is even farther away from the theaters of decision. He did not plan to win the battle knowing that his force was 1/2 of the Confederate force, he wanted to disrupt their plans while his strength in southern Missouri grew. If he would have survived the battle, he would have still been needed to drive the Confederates into Arkansas and then follow them.

Lyon is a very interesting character and this is a good TL. Just throw in Philip Kearny, Jr. and John Reynolds (while having Buford live longer), and you'll have a trio (quartet) of AH awesomeness on hand.

Not having Cameron is a good idea, but politically Lincoln might feel pressured to throw the powerful Democratic machine in PA a bone anyway. Of course Buchanan didn't do too well so to appease PA, Lincoln might turn instead to the Republicans of that state to provide an ambassador and or high ranking General or two.

Some butterflies of having Lincoln prepare immediately for a long war...

Reigning in Seward's behind the scenes shenanigans. This will put a quick end to the whole "foreign war" BS and leave Lord Lyons with a more positive view of Lincoln, Seward and the Union cause.

Norfolk abandoned and razed from the start, thus depriving the Confederacy of the C.S.S. Virginia and practically aborting their navy from the start. The Union Navy would also get a boost and more immediate shipbuilding to enact a blockade and ward off European intervention.

Quick seizure of Harper's Ferry to move tool and dies while either protecting or leveling the rest.

Reinforcement of naval forts, which leads to a bloodier Fort Sumter outcome.

Harsher response to pro-secessionists and Copperheads, thus provoking stronger pro-Confederacy backlash in Maryland and Kentucky.

Faster purchasing of arms and powder from overseas...leads to faster debt...leads to earlier bank reform...earlier income tax...etc. It is possible that Lincoln may hold off on the Morrill Tariff so not to provoke the generally free trade AND pro-Union MPs in Britain such as Richard Cobden and John Bright.

Longer initial service periods for military volunteers. Instead of 30-90 day enlistments, "one year or the duration of the war," enlistments will be common. It may also lead to a practice of reinforcing existing regiments instead of taking time to create whole new units. Wisconsin did that, as did the CSA, and it made for better results on the battlefield.

Faster realization that slavery must be addressed and removed as a national issue. This could of course tie into the idea of bringing Lyon East. It could also prompt Delaware into accepting compensated emancipation while angering other border states.

These are just a few possible butterflies that might occur. Many of these hurt the South far more than the Union as time was certainly on the side of the Union. If you want the Civil War to remain a 4 year affair and give the South a chance you may need foreign intervention. Ironically, some of the above butterflies actually make it more difficult for UK intervention to occur. Which is OK since it's the general consensus on these boards that any UK intervention during the first 2 1/2 years of the war would have meant certain Union defeat. So to avoid that you could opt to have a slightly lower difficulty level for the US...have Spanish or French intervention by way of Mexico. This would leave the UK as a neutral that actually leaned more pro-Union as the war continued.

I hope these ideas help.

Benjamin

Lyon is a very interesting character and this is a good TL. Just throw in Philip Kearny, Jr. and John Reynolds (while having Buford live longer), and you'll have a trio (quartet) of AH awesomeness on hand.

Not having Cameron is a good idea, but politically Lincoln might feel pressured to throw the powerful Democratic machine in PA a bone anyway. Of course Buchanan didn't do too well so to appease PA, Lincoln might turn instead to the Republicans of that state to provide an ambassador and or high ranking General or two.

Reigning in Seward's behind the scenes shenanigans. This will put a quick end to the whole "foreign war" BS and leave Lord Lyons with a more positive view of Lincoln, Seward and the Union cause.

Norfolk abandoned and razed from the start, thus depriving the Confederacy of the C.S.S. Virginia and practically aborting their navy from the start. The Union Navy would also get a boost and more immediate shipbuilding to enact a blockade and ward off European intervention.

Quick seizure of Harper's Ferry to move tool and dies while either protecting or leveling the rest.

Harsher response to pro-secessionists and Copperheads, thus provoking stronger pro-Confederacy backlash in Maryland and Kentucky.

Faster purchasing of arms and powder from overseas...leads to faster debt...leads to earlier bank reform...earlier income tax...etc. It is possible that Lincoln may hold off on the Morrill Tariff so not to provoke the generally free trade AND pro-Union MPs in Britain such as Richard Cobden and John Bright.

Longer initial service periods for military volunteers. Instead of 30-90 day enlistments, "one year or the duration of the war," enlistments will be common. It may also lead to a practice of reinforcing existing regiments instead of taking time to create whole new units. Wisconsin did that, as did the CSA, and it made for better results on the battlefield.

Faster realization that slavery must be addressed and removed as a national issue. This could of course tie into the idea of bringing Lyon East. It could also prompt Delaware into accepting compensated emancipation while angering other border states.

These are just a few possible butterflies that might occur. Many of these hurt the South far more than the Union as time was certainly on the side of the Union. If you want the Civil War to remain a 4 year affair and give the South a chance you may need foreign intervention. Ironically, some of the above butterflies actually make it more difficult for UK intervention to occur. Which is OK since it's the general consensus on these boards that any UK intervention during the first 2 1/2 years of the war would have meant certain Union defeat. So to avoid that you could opt to have a slightly lower difficulty level for the US...have Spanish or French intervention by way of Mexico. This would leave the UK as a neutral that actually leaned more pro-Union as the war continued.

I hope these ideas help.

Benjamin

The ideas do indeed help. I have already encompassed some of them for future posts.

Thank you very much. I will need further views in foreign developments later in 1861.

benjamin, I have a little bit more time to respond to your good butterfly effects. The main POD is that Lincoln is coming into the presidency gearing up for war. He is still a skillful politician and will not want to offend the border states including Virginia, Maryland, Kentucky, Tennessee, Missouri, and Arkansas which have not seceeded yet. There also has to be some reality that he is not going to get everything right, not everything is going to go his way.

With Lincoln and Scott gearing up for war, they will want leaders that are more action oriented. They do not have to go necessarily with the old school leaders or the political leaders per say. There will still need to be some feeling out of leaders and also some of the leaders have to prove themselves.

That being said, I am a fan of Kearny, Reynolds, and Buford as well as Lyon.

I have done a little research on prominent Republicans in Pensylvania. It is interesting that some opposition to Cameron came from prominent Republican leadership within Pennsylvania. I have an idea for a general to be from Pennsylvania to oblige that state's leadership.

I had not thought of this. What I was thinking was that Lincoln and co. would focus on a solution for Sumter that they would almost forget about Norfolk. Lincoln did not want to antagonise Virginia. I will think about it a bit more, but this may be one thing that Lincoln messes up on that he should of paid more attention to in my TL.

I have this in the plan if Virginia seceeds. This is where the Pennsylvania boys come in.

perhaps

I think that Lincoln still uses his shrewdness to coddle Kentucky, respect the neutrality and to put the wraps on Maryland by suspending the writ of habeous corpus for the rebel rousers in the state.

Yes, this is a definite happening. I like the discussion from other ACW timelines that deal with the Trent affair and that trade with the British for the supplies to make gunpowder is crucial.

Lincoln in the beginning of the war was all about preservation of the Union. In fact the entire North, both moderate Republicans and war Democrats support Lincoln due his stance that the war is for Union not to end slavery in 1861. This will be an issue that will have to be addressed. We shall see how the political mindful Lincoln treats this issue as time goes on. For the start though, in order to keep his political coalition of moderate Republicans such as himself and war democrats, he will be about Union publicly while privately talking to the radicals to keep all factions in his pocket focused on the Union.

I will like your political views on things when the timeline gets a little interesting. The second title of "One War at a Time" has something to do with this.

I hope these ideas help.

Yes, they do, now I am off to enjoy Chinese New Year celebrations

Benjamin

Last edited:
Meeting with Tecumseh

Among the many office seekers and visitor’s that Lincoln entertained in his first week after the election was William Tecumseh Sherman. Sherman had came to Washington straight from Louisiana to discuss matters, talk with Lincoln, and offer his services. In Louisiana, Sherman had been superintendent of Louisiana State Seminary of Learning & Military Academy.

Lincoln was vastly interested in the spirit of the South that Sherman witnessed. Sherman described the military events and how prepared the South was for war. He described how the Southern spirit was that of guns and God. They were deeply religious and very martial. He stated that it was a spirit that would have to be literally destroyed before the South would surrender. He stated that it was the same spirit of the ARW, that their cause was just and that they could endure many setbacks. He stated how the South utterly despised the North and that while being good people, they wanted nothing to do with the North.

Both He and Lincoln talked about how unprepared the North was and what was needed to be done to win the war. They both agreed that a longer war was needed. Sherman emphasized the need to break the will of the Southern people, to use the vast resources of the North to overwhelm the South.

After the talk with Lincoln, the president invited Sherman to stay and report what he saw and views to Winfield Scott and Edwin Stanton who were joining Lincoln for a meeting later in the day.

At the end of the second meeting, Sherman offered his services to the Union. After some discussion, Stanton asked if Sherman could be used in the War Department to aid him in readying the nation for war. Sherman stated that he would like to lead men in battle. He stated that he wanted to learn more of the tactics first since he had not lead men in battle during the Mexican War or throughout his military career. He stated that it would be a disservice to the cause if he were made a general to begin with. Both Lincoln and Scott were amazed by this answer; they had been attended to by many an office seeker wanting positions in the government and the army stating their qualifications and boasting what they would do. They clearly were not fit for service. But here was one humble man with a clear vision of the war ahead, a vision that matched that of both Scott and Lincoln. Not only a vision, but the man could detail out strategy on how to win as he had done with them.

After conferring by themselves, Lincoln came back to Sherman and stated that he needed to learn the art of war quickly, very quickly. He would be commissioned a colonel, but it was expected of him to learn how to drill, march, and lead men in battle soon. Lincoln firmly stated that he did not know when the shooting would start, that he did know that it would not be the Union that started the shooting, and that when the Union returned the response of any Confederate attack, that he wanted Sherman to lead part of that attack. He wanted Sherman to be part of the solution.

Sherman was to be assigned to Washington to start drilling and training with men who were signing up with the army and being sent to Washington. This was not a great number of men, but a few who had the same visions that war was eminent. Sherman would also use this positing in Washington to confer more with Lincoln and Scott.

If we are saving Lyon, Kearny, and Reynolds, I'd like to see Charles Ferguson Smith survive his terminal scratch. A man both Grant and Sherman admired and occasionally deferred to - there must have been something to C.F.Smith.

If we are saving Lyon, Kearny, and Reynolds, I'd like to see Charles Ferguson Smith survive his terminal scratch. A man both Grant and Sherman admired and occasionally deferred to - there must have been something to C.F.Smith.

I will see what I can do. C. F. Smith is indeed another one of those what ifs. But I wonder if some of these generals survive, will that make room for others like Sheridan to emerge?

But I suppose that I can make some of these generals listed be under others, say to lead a division or a corps.

I want to also think that the Union is not get it right all of the time when it comes to picking leaders. There has to be some bad apples thrown in there too.

We shall see, thanks for the tip ....

A strategy is developed

The initial strategy adopted by the Lincoln administration was multifaceted. Winfield Scott dominated military talks. Lincoln emphasized the protection of relations with the remaining slave states that had not seceded.

[FONT=&quot]1.) [/FONT]Initial troop strength would need to be 120,000 troops. State militias had already been forming and could be called to meet this number.

[FONT=&quot]2.) [/FONT]The border state of Maryland would be defended to the utmost for the protection of Washington. Any secessionist activity will be put down with an iron fist.

[FONT=&quot]3.) [/FONT]Relations would be more delicate in the slave states that did not secede.

[FONT=&quot]4.) [/FONT]The remaining federal garrisons of Ft. Sumter and Ft. Pickens (along with other Florida installations) would be defended to the utmost. In fact they would be resupplied. Relief flotillas will be sent to both. It was noted that Sumter would need to be resupplied by mid-April.

[FONT=&quot]5.) [/FONT]A blockade would be needed of southern ports.

[FONT=&quot]6.) [/FONT]For this blockade, the Union navy would need to be enlarged. Construction of new ships would be started immediately. Purchasing of ships from foreign powers was also discussed. The increased building of ships was implemented the second week of Lincoln’s administration.

[FONT=&quot]7.) [/FONT]Newer ship designs, iron hulled ships would be needed. Ships to match the French ship Gloire would be needed. These ships could reinforce the blockade and aid in protection of harbor forts such as Sumter and Pickens. Gideon Welles was to head up development. Talks with both the French and British navies would also be conducted.

[FONT=&quot]8.) [/FONT]Since Lincoln did not want to antagonize the slave states that did not secede, he did not want to place a large amount of federal troops in these states, but wanted to be ready to act if they did switch sides.

[FONT=&quot]9.) [/FONT]With protecting the slave states in mind, a main thrust would be down the Mississippi river. This would placate Midwestern states and garner more support for the war. Troops would be based in Illinois and head down the Mississippi for Mississippi. A plan to capture New Orleans from the ocean would also be needed. More river gunboats would be needed.

[FONT=&quot]10.) [/FONT]After the blockade was set up and naval supremacy established, ports and other weak points along the coast would be targeted for occupation. These points could then be exploited with drives inland.

11.) Railroads would be a key for ensuring that supplies and men are moved on time to the correct areas. A rail czar would need to be named.

This plan would eventually be known as the Anaconda plan. Scott stated that the blockade must be first as troops are trained for the thrust down the Mississippi and exploiting the Atlantic and Gulf coasts.

In foreign developments, a goal of not having European nations recognize the Confederacy was made. Some other strategy points in foreign relations were:
1.) Purchase as much gunpowder and gunpowder supplies as possible.

2.) Purchase rifles and canon. Although at some point, uniformity would have to rule for the ammunition needed, but for now the goal was quantity.

3.) Lower tariffs or make them non-existent. Placate northern industrialists by purchasing more materials and supplies for the Army.

Discussion on leadership also occurred. Scott stated that many of the old school generals would not suffice for the upcoming conflict. For now though, since he emphasized a blockade first, he would wait and see for the generals.

The final topic discussed was how to finance the buildup and eventual war if needed. Issuing government bonds was discussed. Lincoln did not want to raise taxes. Further options would be needed to be discussed with Republicans in Congress in the coming weeks.

Thus, the Lincoln administration was set in motion to ready itself for action.

Last edited:
Fort Sumter – April 1861
April 12 & 13 – Shots fired at Fort Sumter
April 15 – Lincoln calls for120,000 two-year volunteers
April 17 – Virginia secedes from the Union,
April 18 - Lee rejects offer from Scott to lead all Union armies in upcoming effort.
Robert E. Lee rejects Scott’s offer at overall command of the Federal Army, Scott lets Lincoln and Stanton know that there is no one else that he trusts to guide the Union Army. Scott states that he would like to remain top general to work, plan, and execute overall union Army strategy. Lincoln and Stanton approve. A good working relationship is further developed by Scott and Stanton. Scott states that in his advanced years, he does not have the energy to plan every detail, but like to be more of an adviser and grand strategist for the war effort. Scott also wants to select general leadership to lead the campaigns. All other details of fighting the war including gearing up northern industry for the war effort are left for Stanton to conduct. For leadership, Scott once again states that the older generals are not fit to lead the troops. He cites the old school generals of 1812 and the lack of success that they had in that war.

Scott also persuades Lincoln not to hurry into to action too soon, that the new volunteers should be used as a buffer to protect Washington. The recruits should then be trained to the tactics of war. Lincoln replies that the Union should be restored as soon as possible. He states that the Confederates will also be green, that both sides will be green alike. To this, Scott states that while that is true, that more time is needed for the troops to prepare for invasion than for defense. Scott further states, that this will not be easy like Mexico, the South will defend its cause to the end. Lincoln states that he will go by the wisdom of Scott, but that every day that the Union waits is one more day for the South to prepare for defenses.

A plan to ensure that Maryland does not secede is placed into action.

The Naval build up gets another boost. Four iron plated ships are planned to be built for service along the coast.

April 19 – The blockade of the South begins
April 20 – Gosport Naval Yard is abandoned by the Union. As Union military retreats to Fortress Monroe. Some material had been removed in the previous week, but the capture of a large amount of supplies, canon and the USS Merrimac is a boost for the Confederacy.
April 25 – Nathaniel Lyon shows initiative and has excess weapons removed from St. Louis to Illinois.
The plans for railroads and ramping up the industrialization to military needs are also enacted.
April 27 – George McClellan who recently was appointed to lead Ohio volunteers writes a letter on strategy to Scott wanting to use 80000 men to drive through the Konawa Valley in western Virginia to Richmond.

Harpers Ferry is abandoned by Union garrison. Confederates capture and then remove equipment.

May 3 – Scott responds to McClellan with an outline of the Anaconda plan, stating that the men of the west that are gathering would be better use to drive down the Mississippi. Scott and Stanton like McClellan, he could be the leader with initiative that they are looking for. They also view his organizational skills as being paramount and the need to develop resources is paramount.

May 4 – George McClellan is made general of Department of Ohio. His knowledge of railroads is used. His ambitions are to lead armies in the field, but for now he is to organize railroads, depots, and training within his department as the logistics to the war outweigh the need for action now as part of Scott’s buildup for Anaconda drive down the Mississippi.

May - 1861

McClellan begins collecting and training of western troops as well as integrating the railroads to military purposes. In this capacity, the Union has chosen a good general. A force commanded by Phil Kearney under McClellan advances in western Virginia to protect the B&O railroad. They are able to secure the line from Parkersburg to Grafton and from Wheeling down to Grafton but are unable to secure the line from Grafton to Harpers Ferry.

Eastern troops are stationed in Harrisburg, Washington, and Ft. Monroe. Lincoln, Scott, and Stanton agree that leadership from Pennsylvania is needed for the troops in the East. William Franklin is selected to lead Pennsylvania and Maryland troops in Harrisburg, PA . He is able to advance and recapture Harper’s Ferry. Samuel Heintzelman is selected to defend Washington with troops mainly from New York and New Jersey. Scott likes Franklin and sees Heintzelman only in the limited capacity of defending Washington and Arlington heights. William Sherman is selected to lead the troops at Fort Monroe. His force is mainly New England troops.
Virginia officially secedes from the Union. The people in the counties west of the Appalachians have their first convention to remain loyal to the Union.

In Missouri, Nathaniel Lyon shows dare and initiative to secure St Louis with capture of Camp Jackson. This action ensures that St. Louis is Union but also alienates Sterling Price.

Scott and Stanton begin to take notice of Lyon and McClellan for their initiative. The papers take more notice of McClellan's actions since they are in the East while Lyon goes unnoticed. Scott warns both Lincoln and Stanton not to be swayed by the popular press.

June 1861 – Strategy is changed to the Virginia thrust

As June, 1861 began; the Union overall strategy was set on the Anaconda plan after forces were gathered and trained. The timing for this looked like to be the fall of 1861 at the earliest. Scott, Lincoln and Stanton were set on preparing for a longer war. Up to this point, activity had been centered in western Virginia to protect the B&O railroad and in Missouri to secure St. Louis. Scott desired to leave action to Missouri, securing the railroad in Virginia, and defending Washington and Fortress Monroe until the troops were ready. When the troops were ready, he would advance down the Mississippi river. George McClellan was preparing for that.

The blockade was still in its early stages as more naval vessels were being built. Four iron hulled ships were being built as well; they were on schedule for completion in November.

Lincoln had ensured that Maryland would remain loyal with an iron fist. He was much more conciliatory with Kentucky. As such, Kentucky had declared itself neutral in the conflict.

In June, the events in Missouri and the general who lead them sparked Scott’s interest. These events would change Scott’s view on the necessity to amend the Anaconda plan.

June 12 – Talks between Nathaniel Lyon and Cleburne Jackson (governor) with Sterling Price breakdown. Jackson and Price are escorted out of St. Louis.
June 15 – Lyon secures Jefferson City, MO from secessionist forces. Missouri is cleary in the Union now.
June 17 – Nathaniel Lyon is successful in breaking up of Missouri State Guard in Booneville, MO. Lyon advanced on pro-Secessionist forces in Booneville after capturing Jefferson City.

After hearing these reports of the activity in Missouri on June 18, Scott was impressed with Lyon. Scott liked the way that Lyon did not let the opposing forces rest and gather strength; instead he kept the pursuit up. In this way, Missouri was secure in the Union, or at least the parts of Missouri that counted. Lyon had secured St. Louis, Jefferson City, the rail lines in the state, and the Missouri river rout. Scott recognized that there would always be some anti-Union activity in Missouri, similar to the borders wars in Kansas, but the main activity was settled. Lyon was now freed up. Lyon could be the general to lead the forces that McClellan was collecting to secure the Mississippi river.

Scott also saw that the key in Missouri was acting quickly before the Confederates were organized. Perhaps this could be used in Virginia as well. After thinking more on this, he was convinced that a thrust in Virginia might have similar effects. If it did not work, then the Anaconda plan could be prosecuted in full. If the Virginia thrust did work, it would leave the Union in a better position in that state. Scott was still a believer in the Anaconda plan, but he decided to try the thrust. If it did not bring results, then the Anaconda plan can be executed in full detail. If it did bring results, those results would act like a springboard for further action in the East.

For his Virginia thrust, Scott wanted three armies moving together or two at first to draw off confederate attention and then have a third larger force swoop down from Washington against Richmond to be the sledgehammer. Scott wanted William Franklin to advance down the Shenandoah Valley and Sherman to approach Richmond from Fort Monroe, after these opening moves, Scott wanted a larger force to come out of Washington.

Scott wanted Nathaniel Lyon to lead this main force. To be as successful as possible, Scott wanted Lyon to come to Washington, picking up western forces along the way. This would have one larger force drive to Richmond while the other forces distracted the Confederates.

Scott met with Lincoln and Stanton the following day, June 19, to discuss this revised plan. There were several questions and concerns. One was stripping the West of forces. Scott countered that neutral Kentucky worked in their favor. With Kentucky being neutral, the other states need not worry about their security. If the thrust did not work, the railroad lines could be used to transfer troops back.

Lincoln questioned about the political necessity of Missouri and about the political needs of support in the West. What will the western governors say when troops are removed to the East. Scott countered that Missouri is protected for the most part; Jefferson City, St. Louis, the Missouri river line are protected. Troops from Missouri, Iowa and Kansas could defend the state. The advantages gained in Virginia would outweigh further action in lawless Missouri.

Scott stated that quick decisive action in Virginia can reap positive results. Scott wanted this summer’s campaign to be in Virginia while the Union is building up its resources. Scott also states that politicians such as Elihu Washburn of Ill, Thomas Ewing and John Sherman of Ohio can be used to support moving troops East for this thrust in their home states.

Lincoln again stated that the initiative in Missouri will be lost. Scott countered that there is enough Unionist support that Missouri will remain in the Union. The confederates will reorganize and might make some progress back but that Jefferson City and St. Louis are adequately protected. Scott states that he is able to trade concessions in Missouri for a better position in Virginia.

Lincoln and Stanton finally agreed to the strategy switch. Lincoln stated that he will work out the political necessities with the western governors to transfer troops to the East.

The objective would be to press the Confederate troops in Virginia until a weakness developed. At a minimum, Scott wanted to secure Monroe, capture Norfolk, secure Northern Virginia and the northern part of the Shenandoah valley to protect Harper’s Ferry and the B&O rail line.

Orders were sent to Lyon immediately to secure Missouri and leave for St. Louis. He would then take some of the experienced units and head to Springfield, Ill to begin the trip to Washington. McClellan was given orders to support the movement of troops and supplies East as Lyon advanced to Washington from St. Louis. Sherman and William Franklin were brought to Washington to learn of their roles for the Virginia thrust as well.

Last edited: