Look to the West Volume IX: The Electric Circus

I wonder what’s happening in Greece? with everything that happened to them, I don’t see good things happening to them in the future.

How does Diversitarianism intersect with 3rd genders given that cultures that will be less marginalized ITTL like Polynesian, Indian and Native American cultures have 3rd genders? As Mattystereo suggested, some cultures may “copyright” a gender
I am interested in LGBTQ rights here because Diversitarianism may encourage traditionalism…but then as you say that is not always as hostile to rights as a western lens might assume. And the Societist focus on The Universal Family Structure(tm) would almost certainly wind up very Heteronormative and if there is one thing Diversitarians place above authentic reflections of culture it’s fucking over the Combine.

The map showing Antarctica as unclaimed is interesting as well. Well, I’m not surprised it’s unsettled, and in a world increasingly focused on cultural matters claiming some penguins is not exactly a triumph. (Although I am now imagining a Black Guard trying to force various types of penguins to live together, a parody perhaps.” But by this time IOTL the North and South Poles had been attained, and we’re actually right on top of Everest being summited. Obviously things will have progressed differently, but I could see this sort of “first to do this” thing becoming both a target for the Combine and as a focal point for Diversitarian healthy competition. Same with space travel, once everyone gets over the Romulan Panic.

Speaking of competition, past updates have mentioned the Combine showing up at the World Games by this point, which must be an interesting story and an increasingly awkward time.

I am interested in LGBTQ rights here because Diversitarianism may encourage traditionalism…but then as you say that is not always as hostile to rights as a western lens might assume. And the Societist focus on The Universal Family Structure(tm) would almost certainly wind up very Heteronormative and if there is one thing Diversitarians place above authentic reflections of culture it’s fucking over the Combine.

The map showing Antarctica as unclaimed is interesting as well. Well, I’m not surprised it’s unsettled, and in a world increasingly focused on cultural matters claiming some penguins is not exactly a triumph. (Although I am now imagining a Black Guard trying to force various types of penguins to live together, a parody perhaps.” But by this time IOTL the North and South Poles had been attained, and we’re actually right on top of Everest being summited. Obviously things will have progressed differently, but I could see this sort of “first to do this” thing becoming both a target for the Combine and as a focal point for Diversitarian healthy competition. Same with space travel, once everyone gets over the Romulan Panic.
The Combine has an outpost in West Antarctica and de jure claims the entire continent as I recall. An excerpt from a history of their colonization project would be interesting, and it would be mildly amusing if there's a rump Combine confined there in the present day, limited to one small village claiming to control the entire former territory and ignored because it isn't worth bothering with.
Speaking of competition, past updates have mentioned the Combine showing up at the World Games by this point, which must be an interesting story and an increasingly awkward time.
That'd be good to see too.

I also would like to see what happens with AntarcticaAustralia.

Beatriz

Gone Fishin'
Some of Tony Jones’ old Timelines had antarctic colonization through domed cities and the like. There are still sub Antarctic islands like Kerguelen (Scand) and South Georgia

Beatriz

Gone Fishin'
Why were Mainland Southeast Asia, Northern/Northeastern Africa and West Asia colonized IOTL when they were not ITTL?

Previously the Maori were dismissed as an industrial power due to lacking coal and iron but some research has revealed New Zealand does actually have both minerals. However they do lack oil

So, I've been reading Book 3's physical version, and I have some questions for either people who remember more of the intervening books than I, or Thande.

The books talk about how Napoleon's Decision to guarantee the existence of the Dutch Republic was fateful and would have the longest lasting impact of all his choices and a really bad impact as well, and I'm honestly a bit baffled by that? I get that it's what led to the Guayanese Republic and the Cape Republic and the Batavian Republic and stuff, but I don't really see why that would be seen as such a big deal.

I'm also at a related loss to understand why, as described in chapter 150, the Pernambuco Mission is seen as such a key step in the road to Societism vs Diversitarianism. Sure, it was growth in power/prestige of the UPSA, but I don't see how every gain by the UPSA leads to societism. Certainly don't see why Pernambuco would specifically go down as such a big deal as to be "a key early movie" in what led to the world being divided by Societism and DIversitarianism.

I'm guessing I'm just forgetting something about the intervening chapters, but...

Beatriz

Gone Fishin'
Has anyone read We’ll Meet Again , the spiritual precursor in which Ben Franklin’s letters are lost and the World becomes dystopian? The author 037771 deleted most of his posts, and for those map and flag attachments, those have decayed

Has anyone read We’ll Meet Again , the spiritual precursor in which Ben Franklin’s letters are lost and the World becomes dystopian? The author 037771 deleted most of his posts, and for those map and flag attachments, those have decayed
I remember it, though only in the broadest strokes. I do remember it was cool with Isaac Brock becoming the Wellington equivalent as Lord Beardsley and I THINK getting his India-equivalent rise in the ranks in the *USA tho'.

Beatriz

Gone Fishin'
I remember it, though only in the broadest strokes. I do remember it was cool with Isaac Brock becoming the Wellington equivalent as Lord Beardsley and I THINK getting his India-equivalent rise in the ranks in the *USA tho'.
I posted some screenshots from WebArchive in the “Realistic For Want of a Nail” thread

Beatriz

Gone Fishin'
So, I've been reading Book 3's physical version, and I have some questions for either people who remember more of the intervening books than I, or Thande.

The books talk about how Napoleon's Decision to guarantee the existence of the Dutch Republic was fateful and would have the longest lasting impact of all his choices and a really bad impact as well, and I'm honestly a bit baffled by that? I get that it's what led to the Guayanese Republic and the Cape Republic and the Batavian Republic and stuff, but I don't really see why that would be seen as such a big deal.
The Societists getting a global empire from the Dutch exilic republics

Thande

Donor
Just a word of warning that the next update may be a bit late as I've been running out of time in which to write.

The Societists getting a global empire from the Dutch exilic republics
IIRC I think that's what I was thinking of when I wrote that part, yes.

This is quite possibly the silliest reference I've ever put into LTTW, yes, even beating out Le Diamant and his Sans-Culottes, the Pirates vs Ninjas in the Euxine War, Five Knights at (Emperor) Freddy's, and the Space-Filling Empire. But it did neatly provide an excuse for a travelogue covering some (albeit not all) of the far-flung parts of the world that commenters had asked about!

Also good to see you back @Beatriz and thank you for your continued speculation (and the same to other commenters).
AndNowForSomethingCompletelyDifferent-d3zGw2Nl-subtitled.jpg

But those "badly traslated world war" videos are full of delightful little AH challenges. The defeat of both Britain and the Ottomans by the Romans. The sending of the german fleet to Mongolia. The breakout of the Hundred Years War in 1918.