Korean War gets nasty

What if the Korean war gets nasty, and the Allies use nukes? Firstly what would have to happen for the Allies to use atom bombs, and what would the reaction of the Soviets and Chinese be? Do we have World War III in the 1950s, centred in East Asia?

Raymann

Banned
Well like I said in the Two Joes thread, the US will win it. Even if the US nukes China, Russia only got nukes in '49 and if they wanted a war, they'd hit targets in Western Europe as they had no intercontentional bombers yet and even if they did, they didn't have enough bombs. I doubt it would get that far though, the SU wouldn't fight for north korea or china and at most would supply them and perhaps make overtures toward Berlin and the rest of Eastern Europe not under their control.

If it came to war, the SU wouldn't stand a chance. The US was simply too powerful even with the SU's industrial growth. The US would have started from central Korea and West Germany and worked its way to Moscow, nuking every large army in its way. Of course it would get that far as the soviets would have thrown in the towel long before.

SU wouldn't have a chance? It is the early 1950s we're talking here I gather? In other words, you're dreaming! :eek:

Now sure, the USA would be spared the destruction, but if WW3 came in 1950/51, what's going to stop the Soviet Armies from driving into Western Europe? W Germany is a mess still from WW2. France isn't any better than W Germany. The UK is better than W. Germany & France, but not that much better. And the other European countries, such as Holland, Belgium, Italy, etc haven't got a chance in stopping the Soviets. Meanwhile, the US military is distracted in Korea & not Europe.

Then there are the Chinese communists. Considering they had just kicked the arse of the UN forces, who were mostly American, back down the Peninsular, how on Earth are the Americans/UN going to stop several million Chinese doing whatever they want in the entire East-Asia region? Nuke them all? I think you'll find that the USA will run out of nukes long before the Chinese run out of troops! Go ask the Soviets about their joke in regards to a war with China...

But yes, America will be safe from most of the ravishes of WW3 in 1950, other than suffering a million or so casualities etc. Korea, however, will be a wasteland. Several Chinese cities will be hit with nukes, as will several Soviets ones. Meanwhile, Europe is all occupied, as is much of Asia - maybe even Japan.

I'd dare say that it's far better that such a war was never fought. ;)

Marius said:
What if the Korean war gets nasty, and the Allies use nukes? Firstly what would have to happen for the Allies to use atom bombs, and what would the reaction of the Soviets and Chinese be? Do we have World War III in the 1950s, centred in East Asia?
No. I can't imagine the use of nukes prompting the Russians to come in, especially since we had a lot more nukes than they did in the early 50's.

Raymann

Banned
Alright, the US has several hundred nukes, the soviets have MABYE a dozen. And it doesn't take that many to ruin an advancing army. Every major city in China and Russia would be hit and would preclude futher communist development of nukes.

Raymann said:
Alright, the US has several hundred nukes, the soviets have MABYE a dozen. And it doesn't take that many to ruin an advancing army. Every major city in China and Russia would be hit and would preclude futher communist development of nukes.

Several hundred in 1950? I completely doubt that. And I think you'll find that the Soviets have more than a dozen. Don't forget the Soviets also have the H-Bomb around this time... ;)

AMBOMB said:
No. I can't imagine the use of nukes prompting the Russians to come in, especially since we had a lot more nukes than they did in the early 50's.

Put it this way - if the American's start dropping nukes over Korea & China, the USSR won't have any other choice but go to war. Furthermore, after dropping many nukes over Nth Korea & China, there aren't going to be many left for the USSR. Meanwhile, the Soviets have a full nuclear arsenal to use wherever they want. ;)