Killing Hitler: An AH Cliche?

Well, being alternate history--and Hitler having a pretty big affect on recent history, it's not surprising that he'll be used in a lot of timelines in some way.

He's just easy to work with, not a lot of knowledge is required and not a lot has to change involving him for history to be drastically changed.

Grey Wolf

Donor
What I meant was that considering how many assassination attempts were mooted, planned, begun but aborted etc, his survival in OTL might be said to be LESS PROBABLE than his death, and therefore it is OTL that is askew rather than ATLs that feature his death

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Hitler suffering some bizzare, inexplicable and usually gruesome death for no reason but for some strange desire for 'revenge'* on the part of the author seems more common.

*Revenge isn't the right word, but its the only one that comes to mind to fit what I mean.

I tend to think assassinating people isn't that easy to do, although obviously it depends on the country and person in question.

I tend to think assassinating people isn't that easy to do, although obviously it depends on the country and person in question.

Assassinating Hitler was an especially hard thing to accomplish. The man was constantly changing plans at the last minute, leaving earlier or later than he had said he would, or not showing up at all, having a complex and fast-changing motorcade, etc.

Maybe you can aim for someone else. After all, we got Heydrich in OTL. Any other slimy Nazi at the top may be possible. Or hell, one of the innumerable super generals they had. Capping Rommel, anyone?

Grey Wolf

Donor
Maybe you can aim for someone else. After all, we got Heydrich in OTL. Any other slimy Nazi at the top may be possible. Or hell, one of the innumerable super generals they had. Capping Rommel, anyone?

British commandoes tried to get Rommel, raiding his N African HQ, but it was one he had moved on from and the result was the death of the force's leader, the son of Roger Keyes of WW1 fame

Regarding Hitler, German conspirators had to work in the real world of a Nazi-dominated state - ie if they kill ONLY Hitler, then they end up with Goering or Himmler as Fuhrer and things could be even worse ! And they would certainly be worse for the individuals involved ! That's why July 20th ended up being such a detailed plan, involving Fellgiebel of Signals and the chief of staff of the Home Army - after Hitler's death they had to move quickly to put something else in place. It also made planning an assassination an extremely complicated business

Less political minds did try other assassinations, or stood near to Hitler with a gun and contemplated killing him (Manstein's aide de camp) but it came down to, on the one hand Hitler's paranoia and change of plans screwing things up, and on the other hand the thought of what was the point of shooting Hitler as he was only one person

British plans eventually came down to two stumbling blocks - -1- the mass revenge on the populace after the death of Heydrich, and -2- that Hitler being such a piss poor strategist made him very useful to the Allied war effort!

If they wanted to kill someone useful, then perhaps Speer or Goebbels would be a relevant target

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

MrP

Banned
What do people think? Is Hitler's assassination overused in TLs?

It's made sufficient of an impression on me that he'll be surviving in mine. Though I don't know what the deuce he'll be doing come '39 ITTL.

I don't think so. It is a question people tent to ponder after all.

Jack Higgins wrote a story where Brittish intelligence saved Hitler due to his incompetence by the way.