Into the Cincoverse - The Cinco de Mayo EU Thread and Wikibox Repository

Hermosillo would make a lot of sense as a spring training site; as would Monterey
So instead of a Cactus League and a Grapefruit League, a Cactus League and a Avacado League? (The big source of Avacados in OTL is Michoacán, the question is whether any of the teams would go far enough south to be in the Guadalajara- Morelia-Mexico City axis)

So does the multi-purpose or cookie cutter stadium concept never happen because that would explain why Wrigley still exists in this timeline instead of Chicago building two of them. One for the Bears/Cubs and the other one for the White Sox/Cardinals.

So does the multi-purpose or cookie cutter stadium concept never happen because that would explain why Wrigley still exists in this timeline instead of Chicago building two of them. One for the Bears/Cubs and the other one for the White Sox/Cardinals.
Good question!

You'd probably have some of the multi-purpose stadiums, but it would probably be for rugby/association football to share, rather than rugby and baseball. One idea I had was the US standardizing rugby and football fields (they're pretty close as it is, and for a long time there was not a precise dimensions more "guidelines") so that they can share a field more easily. So you'd probably see baseball stadiums standing alone for much longer solo (Wrigley and Comiskey, for instance) while the Bears and Cardinals may share their home grounds with football sides

I wonder if MLB avoids the Landis commissionorship in the Cinqo-verse as well as the Federal Baseball Club vs National League Case in the 1920s which allowed them to operate outside the Sherman Anti-Trust Act. Both would be rather fascinating threads to explore.

I also assume that the World Series (and likely seasons) were canceled during the GAW (though maybe we see an earlier Women's League form during the war - which would also be really interesting)

I wonder if MLB avoids the Landis commissionorship in the Cinqo-verse as well as the Federal Baseball Club vs National League Case in the 1920s which allowed them to operate outside the Sherman Anti-Trust Act. Both would be rather fascinating threads to explore.

I also assume that the World Series (and likely seasons) were canceled during the GAW (though maybe we see an earlier Women's League form during the war - which would also be really interesting)
The 1913 World Series was cancelled, the 1914 season was entirely cancelled, and 1915 and 1916 had weird COVID-style minimized schedules.

Landis will not be commissioner, no. But I’d be curious how the Anti-Trust case could, potentially, effect the MLB?

The 1913 World Series was cancelled, the 1914 season was entirely cancelled, and 1915 and 1916 had weird COVID-style minimized schedules.

Landis will not be commissioner, no. But I’d be curious how the Anti-Trust case could, potentially, effect the MLB?
I presume that Baseball is still in the St. Louis/Milwaukee/Boston/Philadelphia(or Baltimore) "Box" that it was in for many years iOTL?
And I don't remember at that point how many cities had one NL and one AL team, so that they could basically play each other *many* times.

And if Baltimore didn't have a team at this point (iOTL the St. Louis Browns moved to Baltimore in the 1950s), that means the only stadium likely to have come under fire in the GAW would have been Cincinnati (if they got the team prior to the GAW).

It's interesting about the Anti-Trust case. In this scenerio it, if it happens at all, would occur under a Democratic administration which is going to be significantly more pro-Labor. Also, the vast majority of players are goings to be vets (many were in OTL as well: but WWI and the GAW are going to land very different in the popular imagination in the US) and I could see this being played up in the media to a greater extent.

To be honest, the details of the anti-Trust case kinda ... confusse me the more I read aobut it. LOL. But If the ruling goes the other way, one thing you would definitely see is Free Agency entering the equation decades before it did in OTL which most certainly is going to have a change in the way Baseball develops in the Cinqo-verse. I also wonder (and this is REALLY me spitballing here!!!!) if an alternative decision for Baseball could act as a bit of a precedent to undermine the Studio System of Hollywood a bit earlier as well.

It's interesting about the Anti-Trust case. In this scenerio it, if it happens at all, would occur under a Democratic administration which is going to be significantly more pro-Labor. Also, the vast majority of players are goings to be vets (many were in OTL as well: but WWI and the GAW are going to land very different in the popular imagination in the US) and I could see this being played up in the media to a greater extent.

To be honest, the details of the anti-Trust case kinda ... confusse me the more I read aobut it. LOL. But If the ruling goes the other way, one thing you would definitely see is Free Agency entering the equation decades before it did in OTL which most certainly is going to have a change in the way Baseball develops in the Cinqo-verse. I also wonder (and this is REALLY me spitballing here!!!!) if an alternative decision for Baseball could act as a bit of a precedent to undermine the Studio System of Hollywood a bit earlier as well.
If nothing else such a case would probably not be unanimous like OTL’s

Arco
The American Rail Company, commonly known as Arco, is a major American engineering and industrial conglomerate specializing in the production of railroad infrastructure such as locomotives, rolling stock, power trains, wiring and design consultancy. As of 2023, it is the second-largest rolling stock producer in the world and the largest freight locomotive producer.

The company was founded via a merger of several smaller producers in Schenectady in 1901 as American Locomotive Company, commonly referred to as ALCO, and grew enormously in the 1910s and 1920s thanks to production needs during the Great American War and under the leadership of CEO Walter Chrysler. The company reorganized with its public offering in 1932 and during the rail modernizations and electrifications of that decade and those thereafter rapidly expanded, pushing several competitors out of business or into the transit rolling stock business, where Arco's share is much smaller. Arco signed an exclusive contract with the USRA in 1966 to supply all high-speed railsets for the new Amrail program starting in 1970, which was upheld in the landmark antitrust case Budd-Pullman v. American Rail. Since then, Arco has been one of the major global producers of high-speed rail rolling stock, with products used not only in the United States but in Asia, Latin America and, starting in 2022, Africa. The company in the 1990s suffered bad press for several safety concerns after prominent derailments and complaints about faulty electric power trains that minimized speed and operability, and has been accused of acting as an illegal monopoly.

Arco's headquarters were shifted to Albany in 1972 and moved again to downtown Columbus in 1999, but major production and engineering facilities remain in Schenectady, and additional factories are currently in Buffalo, Cincinnati, St. Louis, and Phoenix, as well as its East Asian production facility in Busan, Korea. In 2023, it was rated as the 48th most valuable American firm and its 4th most valuable in the transport and logistics space.

1705073197663.png

The American Rail Company, commonly known as Arco, is a major American engineering and industrial conglomerate specializing in the production of railroad infrastructure such as locomotives, rolling stock, power trains, wiring and design consultancy. As of 2023, it is the second-largest rolling stock producer in the world and the largest freight locomotive producer.

The company was founded via a merger of several smaller producers in Schenectady in 1901 as American Locomotive Company, commonly referred to as ALCO, and grew enormously in the 1910s and 1920s thanks to production needs during the Great American War and under the leadership of CEO Walter Chrysler. The company reorganized with its public offering in 1932 and during the rail modernizations and electrifications of that decade and those thereafter rapidly expanded, pushing several competitors out of business or into the transit rolling stock business, where Arco's share is much smaller. Arco signed an exclusive contract with the USRA in 1966 to supply all high-speed railsets for the new Amrail program starting in 1970, which was upheld in the landmark antitrust case Budd-Pullman v. American Rail. Since then, Arco has been one of the major global producers of high-speed rail rolling stock, with products used not only in the United States but in Asia, Latin America and, starting in 2022, Africa. The company in the 1990s suffered bad press for several safety concerns after prominent derailments and complaints about faulty electric power trains that minimized speed and operability, and has been accused of acting as an illegal monopoly.

Arco's headquarters were shifted to Albany in 1972 and moved again to downtown Columbus in 1999, but major production and engineering facilities remain in Schenectady, and additional factories are currently in Buffalo, Cincinnati, St. Louis, and Phoenix, as well as its East Asian production facility in Busan, Korea. In 2023, it was rated as the 48th most valuable American firm and its 4th most valuable in the transport and logistics space.

View attachment 881209
I have a feeling TTL version of me would be working in this company; apparently my great-grandfather and his brother worked on railroads in Northern Ohio before they decided to become lawyers instead.

I have a feeling TTL version of me would be working in this company; apparently my great-grandfather and his brother worked on railroads in Northern Ohio before they decided to become lawyers instead.
Perhaps! This is more of an engineering concern than laying track or wiring, mind (basically "what if Boeing/Lockheed, but trains") but this is definitely America's answer to Siemens/Alstom if you were so inclined and it would probably have been a very attractive employer for your ancestors in the eastern Midwest

Arco's headquarters were shifted to Albany in 1972 and moved again to downtown Columbus in 1999, but major production and engineering facilities remain in Schenectady, and additional factories are currently in Buffalo, Cincinnati, St. Louis, and Phoenix, as well as its East Asian production facility in Busan, Korea.
No Rust Belt here in the Cincoverse - love to see it. I recently changed careers and now I'm in rail so this was a fun update to read!

View attachment 881209
I liked this update a lot!
I know that I tend to ask this question a lot, but will we see any updates regarding the Ottoman Empire, I have an idea regarding it!
A write-up or a wikibox regarding a sitcom, my idea is.
In Turkey, especially in the 2000s, and even in the early 2010s, sitcoms set around family, neighborhood and/or job (all three can happen at the same time, but one can be left out too, though it is mostly all three at the same time) (depending on the time given, it might be only some place main characters and few other characters they interact with hang out, or it might be a big street with more characters compared to other, with some extras and mostly one-note characters, which can get some background if the show is still going on after its sixtieth episode with two-hour runtime, which is typical for Turkish tv series) were very popular, with all of them having at least some common aspects (most of the locations are sets, there will be always some dramatic scenes mainly involving some romantic breakup, family home/family store/neighborhood/school/anyplace you can imagine with ties to the story being in danger of being lost and if the show has a baby character, it being kidnapped by mafia/loan sharks/some bad guy/crazy lover whose love has been rebuffed by main characters, if the show is more focused on romance)
I can see that a show set in an apartment filled with people all around the Empire (every ethnic group big enough to have a nationally known stereotype basically) living in the apartment, with some inter-ethnic (is this the right term?) happening between a young boy and girl living in the apartment, with parents from some group who abhor each other.
It will be filled with lots of stereotype comedy like most Turkish sitcoms with at least one guy from a different province, along with accent comedy.
(Sorry for my extremely long message)

No Rust Belt here in the Cincoverse - love to see it. I recently changed careers and now I'm in rail so this was a fun update to read!
There’ll still be a bit of a Rust Belt effect (there has after all been one in France, Germany, even Northeast China) but nowhere near as severe as OTL. You’d likely see the effect concentrated in towns dependent on the one employer that has a factory and where like 60% of the dudes in town work, but not the kind of devastating economic downturn and apocalyptic population losses suffered OTL in places like Detroit, Cleveland, STL etc

Haha well perfect! Glad you enjoyed
I liked this update a lot!
I know that I tend to ask this question a lot, but will we see any updates regarding the Ottoman Empire, I have an idea regarding it!
A write-up or a wikibox regarding a sitcom, my idea is.
In Turkey, especially in the 2000s, and even in the early 2010s, sitcoms set around family, neighborhood and/or job (all three can happen at the same time, but one can be left out too, though it is mostly all three at the same time) (depending on the time given, it might be only some place main characters and few other characters they interact with hang out, or it might be a big street with more characters compared to other, with some extras and mostly one-note characters, which can get some background if the show is still going on after its sixtieth episode with two-hour runtime, which is typical for Turkish tv series) were very popular, with all of them having at least some common aspects (most of the locations are sets, there will be always some dramatic scenes mainly involving some romantic breakup, family home/family store/neighborhood/school/anyplace you can imagine with ties to the story being in danger of being lost and if the show has a baby character, it being kidnapped by mafia/loan sharks/some bad guy/crazy lover whose love has been rebuffed by main characters, if the show is more focused on romance)
I can see that a show set in an apartment filled with people all around the Empire (every ethnic group big enough to have a nationally known stereotype basically) living in the apartment, with some inter-ethnic (is this the right term?) happening between a young boy and girl living in the apartment, with parents from some group who abhor each other.
It will be filled with lots of stereotype comedy like most Turkish sitcoms with at least one guy from a different province, along with accent comedy.
I like this idea

There’ll still be a bit of a Rust Belt effect (there has after all been one in France, Germany, even Northeast China) but nowhere near as severe as OTL. You’d likely see the effect concentrated in towns dependent on the one employer that has a factory and where like 60% of the dudes in town work, but not the kind of devastating economic downturn and apocalyptic population losses suffered OTL in places like Detroit, Cleveland, STL etc

Haha well perfect! Glad you enjoyed

I like this idea
The question is does this mean you've determined that the OE will still control a significant chunk of the Asian (or even European!) portion of the OTL 19th Century OE? (Trying to keep significant territories in Africa is probably a bridge too far, though the question of which way the Egyptians jump in the coming Italian/OE war would be interesting.

And a TL where a Sitcom could exit with both a Turk and a Kurd sharing the same apartment would be interesting. (A trade for the "Golden Girls" not even being close to existing)

Hmm.. This brings out niche questions about existance of a long running Indian sitcom simmilar to this.

The question is does this mean you've determined that the OE will still control a significant chunk of the Asian (or even European!) portion of the OTL 19th Century OE? (Trying to keep significant territories in Africa is probably a bridge too far, though the question of which way the Egyptians jump in the coming Italian/OE war would be interesting.
In the last football post, a footballer from Kosovo in our timeline is mentioned as Ottoman.

And a TL where a Sitcom could exit with both a Turk and a Kurd sharing the same apartment would be interesting. (A trade for the "Golden Girls" not even being close to existing)
I was thinking about the same apartment complex, with Greeks, Arabs and Jews being thrown to the mix as well.

They may not be there. Depends on How the War woth Italy, Greece and Iran goes..
Also, I wonder if there will be more sovereign countries or less sovereign countries in ttl.
There were a lot of Jews in the big cities of the Empire, such as Salonika.
And, even today, some Jews are living.
Even my father's small-town middle of Anatolia had enough Jews that they found some (probably three or four) Jewish tombstones.