Holy War in Buddhism

Anyway you could get a holy war concept similar to Islam or Christianity in at least one of the branches of Buddhism ? Could this led to a wider spread of Buddhism ? What would be the wider theological impact ? I imagine this could led to some sense of Buddhist unity along the lines of Christendom or the Islamic Ummah .

Last edited:
Could a branch of Buddhism adopt the concept of a holy war? Many actually-existing Buddhists and branches of Buddhism have created justifications for making war. Whether Gurkha mercenaries, Shaolin monks, or Tibetan guerrillas, many notable soldiers have been Buddhist- and still believed their actions morally justified. This extends all the way up to the present Dalai Lama, who has always maintained that Tibetan soldiers were right to defend Tibet against Chinese aggression. So the concept of one of these groups formalizing a theory holding that defending the faith by attacking threatening outside groups is morally required rather than merely morally justifiable seems to me to be only a single step, albeit a large one.

Would this lead to a wider spread of Buddhism? I would guess no. Buddhist teachings don't seem to have ever coincided with the conditions that made holy war doctrines effective for Islam or, to a lesser extent, Christianity. For proselyting by the sword to be effective you had better win, a lot. Christianity's limited success with crusades followed after acquiring the sponsorship of the Roman Empire, and Islam's greater success with Jihad required as a precondition for success the near-total disintegration of the two largest Empires in the regions surrounding them, with later Islamic efforts at expansion through conquest, whether in Europe, Ethiopia, or Asia much less successful than expansion through trade and conversion. Buddhism seems to me to be more likely to suffer by convincing potential converts that the faith is dangerous and should be opposed than to triumph by the sword.

I think determining the wider theological impact would be very hard, simply because of how much the circumstances around the adoption of this new doctrine would matter. One point I will make- a lot of Buddhism's impact on modern western thought and spirituality is highly filtered through Japanese Zen concepts, simply because that was the most accessible version when Westerners really started to take an interest in the faith. A doctrine of holy war originating from, say Nepal, might easily be dismissed as an unfortunate local folk superstition grafted on to the true religion, much as Tibetan and Nepalese Buddhism's focus on gods and spirits is still frequently dismissed as not "really" Buddhist.

Would this lead to a sense of Buddhist unity? I'm skeptical. Of course, much depends on when and how this doctrine comes about, but most likely scenarios I can think of (say, Buddhist preachers in Imperial Japan in the 1920s and 1930s being even more explicit than OTL about the connection between violence as a tool of imposing social order and Buddhism) seem more likely to alienate any Buddhists who don't belong to the specific branch and specific nationality at issue- splintering the faith further rather than bringing it together.

Last edited:
Not being monotheistic, Buddhism does not quite have the same theological motivation to force people to follow the 'one true way', though it certainly has been used IOTL to justify violence. I disagree that an Abrahamic-style concept of holy war would lead to more unity in Buddhism-a concept of holy war arising in one sect could very well be turned against rival Buddhist sects as well as Christians and Muslims, pushing in a wedge between them.

Offhand, I think the closest you could get to a sort of Buddhist crusade is a Mongol or Turkish Khan getting it into his head that he has been tasked by (or even is the incarnation of) a Wrathful Deity of Tibetan Buddhism to "protect the Sangha" (the monastics of Buddhism, or more broadly the Buddhist community as a whole) by leading a war against the Christians and Muslims encroaching on what was once Buddhist territory in Central Asia. If successful, this Khan could very well destroy the infrastructure supporting Nestorian Christianity and Islam on the steppe, replace it with infrastructure supporting Buddhist monks, and have many of the steppe tribes become Buddhist by default.

Not being monotheistic, Buddhism does not quite have the same theological motivation to force people to follow the 'one true way',
And what exactly about Monotheism implies "one true way" type logic?.
I disagree that an Abrahamic-style concept of holy war would lead to more unity in Buddhism-a concept of holy war arising in one sect could very well be turned against rival Buddhist sects as well as Christians and Muslims, pushing in a wedge between them.
I don't see anyway that Christians and Muslims would push a wedge between them but you're right, it probably won't be as unifying as people think. However, the idea of holy war could spread quite well. Cohersed conversions weren't popular in early Christianity and by the time of Charlemagne they were done but Forced conversions weren't popular, then Charles did his thing and by the Northern Crusades forced conversions were the norm for Christian invaders.

Violence often works and what works spread.
Offhand, I think the closest you could get to a sort of Buddhist crusade is a Mongol or Turkish Khan getting it into his head that he has been tasked by (or even is the incarnation of) a Wrathful Deity of Tibetan Buddhism to "protect the Sangha" (the monastics of Buddhism, or more broadly the Buddhist community as a whole) by leading a war against the Christians and Muslims encroaching on what was once Buddhist territory in Central Asia. If successful, this Khan could very well destroy the infrastructure supporting Nestorian Christianity and Islam on the steppe, replace it with infrastructure supporting Buddhist monks, and have many of the steppe tribes become Buddhist by default.
Well yeah, this one makes more sense than Holy war in Buddhism.

A few off-colour sects did produce theological and philosophical arguments for violence ostensibly in defence/support of Buddhism.

Buddhism has had loads of 'hply wars'. The Tibetan Expansion into the Bengali Plains during the height of the Tibetan Empire, the Lichavvi Reconquest of Nepal, the Northern Yuan Defense, etc were all branded as Buddhist holy wars.

Buddhism has had loads of 'hply wars'. The Tibetan Expansion into the Bengali Plains during the height of the Tibetan Empire, the Lichavvi Reconquest of Nepal, the Northern Yuan Defense, etc were all branded as Buddhist holy wars.
Elaborate. The only one that seemed to have some theological defence as a motivating factor was the Tibetan conquest of Pali but everything else here seems more like a secular war being justified with everything and anything to gather support. Like Orthodox priests being used to justify and amplify support against the NAZI invasion of the USSR in WWII, doesn't make the Eastern Front an Orthodox holy war.

Last edited:
Elaborate. The only one that seemed to have some theological defence as a motivating factor was the Tibetan conquest of Pali but everything else here seems more like a secular war being justified with everything and anything to gather support. Like Orthodox priests being used to justify and amplify support against the NAZI invasion of the USSR in WWII, doesn't make the Eastern Front and Orthodox holy war.
Following the Rebellion of the Northern Magadha Rebels in northern parts of modern day Bangladesh, Sikkim and Bhutan, under the reign of Emperor Tridu Songtsen, all the monasteries of Tibet under the authority of Lhasa were given the time limit of two months to declare the Bengali rebels as apuñña or sinned and thus that the Bengali Buddhists had མནའ་བཟས་པ or betrayed the teachings of the Buddha. This was accepted by most Tibetan Monasteries which declared 'Sacred Conflict' between all Tibetan Buddhists and Sinned/Betrayed Buddhists who were portrayed as the enemy rebels. [1]

Furthermore, it is well known that Emperor Tride Tsuktsän of Tibet declared 'Holy Conflict' between Tibet and the Transoxiana Muslims in support of its Turgesh Allies, which had a royal writ declared and signed by all the prominent Lamas of Tibet giving their assent to the use 'religious force' against the Muslim encroachment in Central Asia which was till then under influence of China and Tibet [2]

[1][2] - Buddhism and Empire The Political and Religious Culture of Early Tibet

Right, but the steppe tribes tended to convert to the majority religion of whatever land they conquered, so this could also end up with Mongols crusading against each other.