Hohenzollern King for France?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recall from playing Kaiserreich in HOI4 that you can invade France and once you take it over you can have a puppet government with a Hohenzollern king in France. Did Germany ever have plans for such a thing if they won WW2 or perhaps the Franco-Prussian war?

Absolutely beyond the realm of possibility. It wouldn't even befit Germany's ideology -- the Hohenzollerns would have no legitimate claim to rule France. All this would do would turn France so hostile and unstable, it'd be more of a liability than anything. Remember, France is still a great power -- not a colony.

Last edited:
I recall from playing Kaiserreich in HOI4 that you can invade France and once you take it over you can have a puppet government with a Hohenzollern king in France. Did Germany ever have plans for such a thing if they won WW2 or perhaps the Franco-Prussian war?

Kaiserreich is not really plausible an realistic mod.

IDK if Germans had any such crazy plans but they couldn't achieve such idiotic plan. No one French wouldn't ever accept that. Even Pétain wouldn't be that collaboratist. If Germans want restore monarchy there is already French options most likely Orléanist branch.

Hitler disliked the Hohenzollerns, and in the Franco-Prussian War the objective was to secure German unification, not make an eternal enemy in France.

I mean, are they really willing to sacrifice a branch of their family to the French ?
Because that's how it would be. A regime without legitimacy but that of naked strength, ending with a regicide either by revolution or by assassination.
Whomever they send to rule France they are effectively condemning to death.

What would be the point?

The Hohnezollern have absolutely no connection to France in any way, shape or form. Except in one fashion that would actually backfire against the dynasty in the scenarios you propose: being related to the Prussian royal family. Remember that Germanophobia also skyrocketed afer the Franco-Prussian War because of the loss of Alsace-Lorraine.

If the Germans want a puppet Kingdom of France, they're honestly better off restoring the old monarchy. And even then that would probably not work.

Perhaps a tl could be imagined where a branch of the hohenzollerns settles in France in the 15th century, perhaps inherits one of the greater duchies and then from that base they wind up inheriting the throne of France in the 17th century or something.

Then on the extinction of their German cousins, the Hohenzollern king of France attempts to claim the electorate of brandenburg- or actually potentially the French branch gets ducal Prussia and manages to use that to get a cadet branch installed in Poland.

Perhaps a tl could be imagined where a branch of the hohenzollerns settles in France in the 15th century, perhaps inherits one of the greater duchies and then from that base they wind up inheriting the throne of France in the 17th century or something.

Then on the extinction of their German cousins, the Hohenzollern king of France attempts to claim the electorate of brandenburg- or actually potentially the French branch gets ducal Prussia and manages to use that to get a cadet branch installed in Poland.
i think there was a thread about a xvii century extinction of the Bourbons that could be useful.
aiui, the remaining Capets were deemed too low status to be considered princes du sang and were not included in the line of succession, so there should be enough room for other candidates to present their claims.

house Lorraine had been included in the line of succession w/ the treaty of Montmartre, so you could have an Hohenzollern candidate for the french throne by having a branch of the family take the place of Lorraine

alternatively there's the Hugh Capet route of getting elected, but i'm not sure how to set up a scenario for it

alternatively there's the Hugh Capet route of getting elected, but i'm not sure how to set up a scenario for it
I think the absolute earliest we can start hoping for any branches of house Hohenzollern to start making big marriages is after they’re raised to the electorate of Brandenburg- so the 15th century, by which point it’s a lot less elective than Hugh Capet found the situation. Perhaps an election out of a few candidates could come as a result of an alt Hundred Years’ War or wars of religion, but it would need lucky marriages to even be considered as a potential candidate.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Computer Sim games are generally a REALLY lousy place to find your POD.

Please use the Post-1900 Misc. thread for these sorts of WI.

You need to actually start a discussion not just ask a question or issue an AH challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.