Harry Potter and the Small Screen

Stolengood

Banned
...way to bulldoze past my post, Dan. :rolleyes: :(

I think that two trappings we talked about when considering possible Quirells apply here, too:
-too famous for the first season (Palin being out of budget unless being talked into the role by grandkids/nieces/nephews)
-name to big for the character (employing Michael "Pilatus" Palin on such a minor role might giveaway the main villain-character of Quirell by itself)

Apart from that, Palin would be great. Whether as a travelogist or a comedian, a wonderful guy.
Again, Palin had done GBH not even seven years before; also, just before TTL's BBC starts producing, casting, what have you, he'd done Full Circle not a year before -- he'd be available, willing to work for the Beeb, and considering how many actors IOTL jumped at the chance to work on Potter, I think he'd want to do it.

I also think, surprisingly enough, that Daniel Day-Lewis, in a moment of spontaneity, would want to get involved, too, if they approached him. He seems the kind of guy who'd keep his fee low just to be able to do something like this. :)

Last edited:

I'm sorry. :eek: I'm just so excited about the Canadian end because this could be the programme the CBC would be hoping for in TTL, like how Canada: A People's History and Little Mosque on the Prairie (even The Tudors, to a degree) were in OTL.

Stolengood

Banned
So... one more pic of Day-Lewis as Voldemort for the road: ;)

daylewisvoldemort.jpg

Hello again, everyone! I want to apologize for allowing this thread to fall into dormancy. There's nothing I can really say that can justify my absence, other than to reiterate that my other thread has always come first, and over the last few months I got rather bogged down in my writing over there. However, I've recently decided to slow the pace of those updates, partly in order to dedicate more time to HPSS. But first, as always, for my long, long overdue replies to your insightful comments...

I figured as much, but it fits with the character, stutterer as he is. But don't forget that Palin also did phenomenal work in Brazil and GBH, so he's no stranger to serious parts. I think he might be the best candidate thus far. :)
Our problem with Palin is Quirrell is that he's too old - way too old. He's even older than Alan Rickman! The character is clearly intended to be relatively young - only been teaching for a few years, easily corruptible by Voldemort, and of course, more easily intimidated by Snape and even his own students.

I think that two trappings we talked about when considering possible Quirells apply here, too:
-too famous for the first season (Palin being out of budget unless being talked into the role by grandkids/nieces/nephews)
-name to big for the character (employing Michael "Pilatus" Palin on such a minor role might giveaway the main villain-character of Quirell by itself)
These are also very good reasons to exclude Palin.

Hörnla said:
I also agree that the Young marauders should be played by folks in the early 20s, but different actors than those who portray them in Harry's "present". American movies got us used to older actors playing High School Students anyways. :) Also, if the flashbacks have a sort of "period piece"-feel (-> à la Chamber of Secrets), we more readily accept older faces because we feel that "people looked different then"
I think that's how we're going to approach the casting. The emerging cohort to play the adult Marauder generation was mostly born in the late 1950s, so casting actors who were born in the early 1980s allows for a full quarter-century of aging between them - which more than covers the gap depicted in the novels.

I also think, surprisingly enough, that Daniel Day-Lewis, in a moment of spontaneity, would want to get involved, too, if they approached him. He seems the kind of guy who'd keep his fee low just to be able to do something like this. :)
There are a few problems with Day-Lewis: he was on hiatus at the time that the series would commence production ITTL; granted, this isn't a problem in that we don't need a full-time Voldemort actor until the fourth season (which would film in 2003), and by then, he had returned to acting with Gangs of New York in the previous year. However, look at his IMDb filmography: it is very sparse, and seems to follow the "one all-encompassing project at a time, with breaks in between" philosophy of a man truly dedicated to his craft. I just don't see him making that kind of years-long, intermittent commitment to The Adventures of Harry Potter.

Now, we still need to figure out some more of the main kid rôles, for sure.
This is the major stumbling block when it comes to the casting - no doubt about it. We've made some progress, as you're about to see when you scroll down to look at the updated list, but it has definitely been limited, with more than one "out there" placeholder candidate.

Dan1988 said:
I definitely agree on that. :D
Then consider it done :cool:

Dan1988 said:
The funny thing about that is that, if Wiki is believed, before 1952 all radio sets (and presumably any experimental TV sets as well, as 1952 is the year when CBFT/ch2, Montréal signed on for the first time) were licensed, and not so much for funding public broadcasting. After 1952, all "home-type" receivers were exempt from licensing. Now there's an easy POD waiting to be used for such a thing if one wanted to add a licence fee mechanism for the CBC or a CBC analogue. :p It may or may not stop advertising from being found on the CBC, but at least it would give the CBC a dedicated funding stream.
That is fascinating, although of course not particularly relevant to this timeline. Perhaps some other timeline project, with a much earlier POD? ;)

Dan1988 said:
Not surprisingly so, though CBC and even CTV have had some good programmes, which with the CBC was even more evident with their all-Canadian primetime lineup as there were some decent programmes in there. The understatement here is that French-Canadians, by contrast, overwhelmingly prefer Canadian programming because most of it is home-made, so Radio-Canada - the CBC's French half, hence why the official corporate name is "Canadian Broadcasting Corporation/Société Radio-Canada", or "CBC/Radio-Canada" for short - is far more likely to have huge hits than the CBC and hence retain more loyal audiences. What few non-Canadian programmes there are are largely steered towards either big-hit American programmes (far more common on TVA and TQS/V), European programmes (mainly on Télé-Québec, which is Québec's version of PBS, and on the cable channels TV5 Québec Canada, which is part-owned by the CBC, and TV5MONDE), or movies (which is all the French-Canadian terrestrial channels). So Anglophone Canadians and Francophone Canadians have long been accustomed to separate programming, so having HP air on two of the main networks in Canada - one English, one French - will be a big deal, for sure.
Well, I'm always happy to do my part to promote federal unity :)

Dan1988 said:
Who knows, a positive reaction in Canada would definitely help vis-à-vis its showing in the US. The French dub from Radio-Canada could also air on TV5's United States feed (yes, there's a dedicated feed of TV5 just for the US).
It makes for a nice reversal of American shows that can only be seen by checking out the US network feeds (or picking up their signals), as neither CTV nor Global decided to pick up the shows for simulcast. (Speaking from personal experience, most of the TGIF block on ABC in the late 1990s was left alone, for example.)

Dan1988 said:
How about Thursday? Traditionally, Thursdays were when the CBC aired its arts programming.
Thursday would be a big gamble, even in ordinary circumstances. But in the 2000-01 season, we're looking at one of the most celebrated nights in television history. Survivor and Friends at 8:00 (and Whose Line on ABC, for the record - no wonder that show never stood a chance). Who Wants to Be A Millionaire?, Will & Grace, and the first season of CSI at 9:00. (And ER at 10:00.) The only viable timeslot for that evening is, fortunately, the one you recommend at 7:00 (against Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy!).

Dan1988 said:
The featurettes could work, or even alternating between those and airing more or less the same version as the BBC (with suitable breaks for the commercials). Of course, were it not for the failure that was Prime Time News, I'd have suggested a small (say, about 5 minute) news update, but that honestly wouldn't work well as Prime Time News demonstrated. So the featurettes it is (produced at the Maison de Radio-Canada so that we can get a single cross-community team working on them ;)).
I think the optimal solution here is importing the raw footage shot by the BBC for the featurettes, and re-cutting and then dubbing it (both the French and the English versions) to emphasize desired aspects of production which casts the CBC in a better light. We can certainly have both teams working in tandem for that.

Dan1988 said:
OK, so based on the 1998-1999 schedule we could place The Adventures of Harry Potter on Thursdays, still. On the CBC, it would be at 19:00 (that's 7pm to the rest of us), replacing OTL's Riverdale. At 21:00 (9pm), it could air on Radio-Canada, replacing the game show Tous pour un, which could air when Les aventures d'Harry Potter is on break (even as a New Year's tradition, akin to the "Bye Bye" specials). To emphasize the cross-community thing, the 9pm slot could be hyped up as "Missed it when it aired at 7pm? Want to watch it again? Switch to your local Radio-Canada station at 9pm!" In this case, CBC/Radio-Canada will be a heavy user of both closed captioning and SAP (secondary audio programming) to emphasize the cross-community aspect, mainly so as to make the programme accessible to both Anglophone and Francophone audiences (so in that case I could see HP be used as much of a language-learning tool as the books allegedly are). In that case, in terms of audio, the main language of the service (English for CBC Television and French for Télévision de Radio-Canada, obviously :p) will be the one everyone hears, but if you switch it to SAP mode you can get the "other" language. As for closed-captioning, it would be the same way - as per FCC recommendations in the US (and which is borne out in practice by the Spanish-language stations actually implementing it, prominently Telemundo), CC1 would be for the closed captioning in the original language, whilst CC3 would be for the "other" language (CC2 would not be used due to bandwidth problems).
This is all very good stuff, Dan! I really appreciate you working out the technical details like this. Your arrangement seems both plausible and mutually beneficial.

And some thoughts and a question, which has to do with the US. Now, as it stands HP would definitely be on cable TV in the US, more likely a premium movie channel, most likely HBO. Now, someone had mentioned TBS instead of HBO as the partner. That I find problematic, because at the time TBS was largely made up of reruns, Atlanta Braves games, and classic movies - in other words, your typical independent TV station schedule - and even in the late 1990s they were making the big push to comedy. A case could be made for having it on TNT, but most TNT programmes were either produced in-house or commissioned anyway (the few Canadian programmes TNT aired were largely from CTV, anyway).
No, HBO is definitely going to be our network in the United States - I remember TBS in the late-1990s as well, and the idea of them airing it is positively ludicrous. That said, a possibility worth mentioning (not that I find it particularly likely either) is the Disney Channel - they aired Road to Avonlea, after all, and we're still at just before the point where they morphed into their present format (which most credit to the success of Lizzie McGuire, premiering in 2001).

Dan1988 said:
That leaves two possible options - A&E and HBO. HBO, to me, would be more likely because as it's a separate subscription channel they could air the episodes as is (using the BBC feed, which fits HBO well as they do not air commercials in the middle of shows like the networks), maybe with the featurettes or not. This ties into two trends with HBO - one, its involvement with children's programming on one hand, and on the other HBO has long broadcast dramatic series, in 1997 exemplified with Oz. Having HP along with Oz and, later on, The Sopranos would give HBO a strong lineup. A&E is possible here, either instead of HBO or alongside it though with HBO having priority with first-run episodes and A&E airing reruns. A&E is interesting here as they've had a bit of a history co-producing with the BBC, and this is still whilst A&E is still "the PBS of cable TV", which in TTL would probably become more the case instead of the "channel drift" it has experienced. In this case, though, A&E would use the CBC feed as it allows for commercials and even then would slightly edit it a bit. Why is that? That's because of a little piece of legislation Clinton signed, called the Telecommunications Act of 1996. Not only was the V-Chip introduced to American households, so too were TV content ratings. Depending on your POV, in this case HP on A&E would either fall under TV-Y7-FV or TV-G in the beginning, probably towards the end being given ratings of TV-G or TV-PG. HBO could schedule HP any time it wants, but A&E I'm not sure - I'd have to see an A&E schedule from the late 1990s.
A&E is an interesting choice - their work with the BBC (most famously on the celebrated Pride and Prejudice miniseries) makes them a prime candidate, as does their "classy" reputation (before the horrifying network decay it experienced in the 2000s). The one problem is that, unlike HBO, they don't really have experience with children's programming. As to your question about ratings, I would suspect that the two pre-hiatus seasons of The Adventures of Harry Potter would probably be awarded a TV-Y7-FV rating.

Dan1988 said:
Which leaves open a question - how many episodes/seasons are necessary for a programme to go into syndication? If we scrape by with just the first three books, then that should be enough for it to be in syndication, right?
By the late-1990s, the "magic number" had been revised down from 100 to 65. However, "limited series" (which would only be re-aired on special occasions) could get away with 13 episodes - which is one season of The Adventures of Harry Potter. The last five seasons of 45-minute episodes would equal exactly 65.

Don't worry, Stolengood; believe it or not, I am capable of going back to the previous page and reading those posts as well ;)

I'm sorry. :eek: I'm just so excited about the Canadian end because this could be the programme the CBC would be hoping for in TTL, like how Canada: A People's History and Little Mosque on the Prairie (even The Tudors, to a degree) were in OTL.
And since The Adventures of Harry Potter is going to last for about a decade, and since it's taking up an hour's worth of timeslots, that means I can butterfly shows like Little Mosque, simply because there's no room for them! Isn't the scheduling process fun? :D (A double-edged sword to the limited space for timeslots; it's a zero-sum format.)

Imagine this part of the Harry Potter lore turning into a TV show?!!?

:eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WhhS2maFEs
Well, surely there must be Aurors in the United States as well as in the UK, though they probably use an entirely different name for them :p

So... one more pic of Day-Lewis as Voldemort for the road: ;)
Seriously, Stolengood, thanks for all of your illustrations - they look amazing. When we do decide on Voldemort, I hope you'll give him the same treatment as well :)

---

Now, obviously, I would not have resuscitated this thread merely to reply to everyone's comments, though they were most insightful and helpful. With the assistance of my story editor (and an outside consultant), I've taken all of the casting suggestions made on this thread and integrated them into a list of viable nominees (trimming only the obvious outliers). At the same time, we solidified the possibilities for some of the core kids, though the roster remains very shaky there and could use additional suggestions.

Remember that our tentative timetable for the first season is 1999 (to be aired the following year). The casting directors do not want any first-year boys born before 1985, nor first-year girls born before 1986. There will likely be a year-long break between the second and third seasons (to be filmed in 2000 and 2002, respectively).

Selected Candidates for the Roles of Characters in The Adventures of Harry Potter

Note that, though I'm reasonably sure about most of these candidates, I will continue to accept additional suggestions only if you believe them to be truly exceptional.

Harry Potter

Draco Malfoy

Rubeus Hagrid

Peter Pettigrew

Filius Flitwick

Argus Filch

Peeves the Poltergeist

Cornelius Fudge, Minister for Magic

Mr Ollivander

Gellert Grindelwald

Potential Candidates for the Roles of Characters in The Adventures of Harry Potter

For these candidates, please choose between the nominees given (unless otherwise stated), and do not revive rejects, who have been deliberately removed from contention.

Ron Weasley
No preference, input eagerly accepted:

Hermione Granger
No preference, alternate suggestions accepted:

• Jenna-Louise Coleman (b. 27 April 1986)
    • Caveat: not a child actress... but performed in plays at school
Neville Longbottom

Ginny Weasley

• Karen Gillan (b. 28 November 1987)
    • Caveat: not a child actress... but strong interest in dramatic arts from early age
Percy Weasley

Albus Dumbledore
Rough order of preference, but up for discussion:

Severus Snape

Sirius Black

Remus Lupin

Lord Voldemort

Tom Riddle

Bellatrix Lestrange

Quirinus Quirrell

Gilderoy Lockhart

Viktor Krum

Cuthbert Binns

Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington, aka “Nearly Headless Nick”

Ludo Bagman

Igor Karkaroff

Young Gellert Grindelwald

Required Candidates for the Roles of Characters in Harry Potter

Note: This is obviously and by no means an exhaustive list of candidates for whom we have received no suggestions.

Seamus Finnigan
Dean Thomas
Lavender Brown
Parvati Patil
Luna Lovegood
Vincent Crabbe
Gregory Goyle
Fred and George Weasley
Cho Chang
Cedric Diggory
Oliver Wood
Minerva McGonagall
Pomona Sprout
Madam Hooch
Vernon Dursley
Petunia Dursley
Dudley Dursley
Arthur Weasley
Molly Weasley
Bill Weasley
Charlie Weasley
Fleur Delacour

Last edited:

Stolengood

Banned
How about Ian Hart as a Voldemort candidate? He did a bang-up job doing the voice in the OTL Philosopher's Stone. :)

As for Quirrell... how about David Tennant? ;)

Last edited:
what if the success of the TV series led Rowling to write additional novels detailing harry and friends in adulthood the series could have a different name. (Auror?)

Lord Voldemort

I'm kind of torn. On the one hand, I'd potentially be interested in seeing Alan Rickman's Voldemort, but on the other, he was absolutely pitch perfect as Snape. If I had to cast someone other than Ralph Fiennes as Voldemort, I think it would be Hugo Weaving.

Last edited:
Thank you for bringing the thread back to life with such diligent work.

Selected Candidates for the Roles of Characters in The Adventures of Harry Potter

Draco Malfoy

Splendid.

Argus Filch

Peeves the Poltergeist

Hooray for Tony Robinson. In that case, my fellow student in Swansea would perhaps not say "well, I am Baldrick's niece". I only hope that he still finds the time to lead the "Time Team".
Rik Mayall is, as we say in 21st century German political talk, "alternativlos".

Mr Ollivander

A suitable place for the guy, though he probably needs a lot of makeup/prosthetics to look that ancient.

Hermione Granger

• Jenna-Louise Coleman (b. 27 April 1986)
    • Caveat: not a child actress... but performed in plays at school

I would not over-estimate this Caveat, it is applicable to much of OTL's movies' cast as well, and IMHO, they did fine. Miss Coleman seems suitable to me.

Ginny Weasley

• Karen Gillan (b. 28 November 1987)
    • Caveat: not a child actress... but strong interest in dramatic arts from early age
Yes, I am superficial here, but Mrs Gillan seems to promise a bit more chemistry with whoever portrays Mr Potter than the brave Bonnie Wright.

Albus Dumbledore

I can very much imagine Tom Baker, and that would be a good connection to a British TV legend.

Severus Snape

I somehow still think Steve Valentine belong here... Can't we get a minor POD added to make it suitable. ;-)
As Laurie is on the list for Lockhart as well, I prefer him to be taken out of this competition.

Sirius Black

These are all good alternatives, hard to pick...

Remus Lupin

And....likewise. We are spoilt for choice here. Tennant could be great as a positive character, likewise Hart, though I cannot see him. Laurie would be interesting. Still, I wonder if knowing both alternatives, if I wouldn't still miss the wonderful David Thewlis.

Lord Voldemort

I go for the creepier Mr Roth here.

Bellatrix Lestrange

Interesting look, certainly capable to take the part.

Quirinus Quirrell

I vote for the latter, having already expressed my irritation at Thewlis not being eligible as Lupin. I understand that this is a different timeline. But I think everybody has character where they wish that OTL's casting isn't changed.

Gilderoy Lockhart

Laurie. Certainly. Yes, that is not a "House"-Laurie, but he would be as good as Branagh was only at second glance.

Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington, aka “Nearly Headless Nick”

Nothing wrong with that, and given his apparent interest in the part of Voldy (which would have been the riskiest casting decision in history), I see no reason he wouldn't do this small part....although I suspect that we cannot help it but see a transparent Blackadder.

Young Gellert Grindelwald

Given his looks and young Albus' infatuation: Schweighöfer.

Required Candidates for the Roles of Characters in Harry Potter

A few thoughts

Minerva McGonagall
Hard one. I have a few candidates in mind here, but only one I feel confident could pull off a Scottish accent: Lindsay Duncan.

Penelope Wilton or Frances de la Tour would seem otherwise suitable but for that unfortunate niggle.

Pomona Sprout
Madam Hooch
I see no reason not to stick with the OTL actresses here and I recall some discussion of Wanamaker further up the thread.

Here's a few of my suggestions for parts,hopes ages are about right for parts.

Lavender Brown: Emily Head
Parvati Patil:Chandeep Uppal
Pany Parkinson: Montanna Thompson
Vincent Crabbe: John Seaward (could also play Goyle)
Goyle: Blake Harrison
Cedric Diggory : Joe Thomas
Hermione Granger: Charlotte Richie
Oliver Wood: Greg McHugh
Colin Creevey: James Buckley
Angelina Johnson: Zawe Ashton
Pomona Sprout:Patsy Byrne
Kingsley Shacklebolt: Adrian Lester
Madeye Moody: Philip Glenister
Mundungus Fletcher: Alan Davies
Proffessor Binns: John Bluthal
Ludo Bagman : Greg Davies or Martin Clunes
Tom Riddle: Sacha Baron Cohen
Molly Weasley: Miranda Richardson
Id Personally stick with all Dursleys as I think they work well espically Richard Griffiths,although I think Harry Melling (Dudley) would make a good Neville. I think Rowan Atkinson would want a promient part so I think Lord Voldermort would suit him well.

Does Sasha Baron Cohen still do Borat and/or Ali G in TTL or would that be butterflied away?
Well the Ali G character was created in 1998 and so thats before the realse of the 1st series and so he wouldnt be cast till 2nd series which would be around 2000. To be honest he's probaly too old,I picked him because he matched Riddles appreance Tall,Jet black hair and dark eyes and couldnt think of anybody else. The Ali G personna gave him his big break and he got nominated for a BAFTA in 1999.The Ali G show itself started in 2000 which gave him his first BAFTA win.

I was watching Our friends in the north which feaure many of the actors mentioned for roles on here (eg Christopher Eccleston). Daniel Craig was other major actor in the series,so maybe he could play Lucius Malfoy as he did a far bit of TV in the late 90's.

How about Ian Hart as a Voldemort candidate? He did a bang-up job doing the voice in the OTL Philosopher's Stone. :)
That may be true, but I think we need someone more imposing for Voldemort, and - ironically - perhaps a bigger name (as he doesn't show up until a few years in).

Stolengood said:
As for Quirrell... how about David Tennant? ;)
Tennant has been added to the list of candidates for Quirrell - and removed from everything else.

Glad to see it up again, Brainbin. :cool: I'll get to your reply (and that other thing ;)) later.
Thank you, Dan! I look forward to both of them :)

what if the success of the TV series led Rowling to write additional novels detailing harry and friends in adulthood the series could have a different name. (Auror?)
I really don't think that this television series could convince Rowling to write more Harry Potter material if the success of eight blockbuster movies failed to do so IOTL.

I'm kind of torn. On the one hand, I'd potentially be interested in seeing Alan Rickman's Voldemort, but on the other, he was absolutely pitch perfect as Snape. If I had to cast someone other than Ralph Fiennes as Voldemort, I think it would be Hugo Weaving.
We've added Weaving to the list of Voldemort candidates. I'm simply averse to casting Rickman as Snape because I feel it's a role that needs to be recast ITTL.

Thank you for bringing the thread back to life with such diligent work.
And thank you for the compliment, Hornla :)

Hörnla said:
Hooray for Tony Robinson. In that case, my fellow student in Swansea would perhaps not say "well, I am Baldrick's niece". I only hope that he still finds the time to lead the "Time Team".
Well, really, Filch is a fairly minor character with, what, one or maybe two substantial scenes per book? Plenty of time for Robinson to take other roles.

Hörnla said:
Rik Mayall is, as we say in 21st century German political talk, "alternativlos".
If I can decipher my (non-English) Germanic languages correctly, does that translate to "alternative-less"?

Hörnla said:
A suitable place for the guy, though he probably needs a lot of makeup/prosthetics to look that ancient.
Maybe, but Hurt was only 60 when he played the role IOTL, and all they gave him was a wig. I think Fry could similarly pull it off (or rather, put it on :p), especially since Ollivander has a "much-older-than-he-looks" vibe to him. The creepy pseudo-omniscience of Ollivander's character helps, too. In fact, I was thinking that, if the show needed a narrator, Fry could pull double duty (as it closely meshes with his OTL experience - and there's nothing to say that he wouldn't read the audiobooks ITTL).

Hörnla said:
I would not over-estimate this Caveat, it is applicable to much of OTL's movies' cast as well, and IMHO, they did fine. Miss Coleman seems suitable to me.
It helps that both Grint and Watson were unknown newcomers when they took the roles IOTL.

In fact, e of pi related an anecdote he heard about Rowling with regards to casting which he finds wholly appropriate, as well ;)

Hörnla said:
Yes, I am superficial here, but Mrs Gillan seems to promise a bit more chemistry with whoever portrays Mr Potter than the brave Bonnie Wright.
Agreed. Poor Bonnie Wright - but that's what happens when you cast for a glorified extra without knowing how major a character she'll become later on. Whereas ITTL, Gillan could instead become a happy accident. Note also where she was born and raised - Inverness. A likely filming location for the bulk of The Adventures of Harry Potter.

Hörnla said:
I can very much imagine Tom Baker, and that would be a good connection to a British TV legend.
There's also a meta-fictional reason for me to cast Baker as Dumbledore, though it's in reference to that other timeline of mine.

Hörnla said:
I somehow still think Steve Valentine belong here... Can't we get a minor POD added to make it suitable. ;-)
As Laurie is on the list for Lockhart as well, I prefer him to be taken out of this competition.
I'll grant you the latter, but not the former ;)

Hörnla said:
These are all good alternatives, hard to pick...
If I had to pick a favourite, I would choose Eccleston.

Hörnla said:
And....likewise. We are spoilt for choice here. Tennant could be great as a positive character, likewise Hart, though I cannot see him. Laurie would be interesting. Still, I wonder if knowing both alternatives, if I wouldn't still miss the wonderful David Thewlis.
Against my better judgement, I've restored Thewlis to the list of candidates, for lack of better options (especially since he'd actually be under 40 by the time the Prisoner of Azkaban started filming in 2002). And though Richard E. Grant is listed as a candidate for both Remus and Sirius, I'm not so hot on him for either role. If any of his champions would like to vouch for him, now's your opportunity. (References to Withnail and I only count the context of his acting ability.)

Hörnla said:
I go for the creepier Mr Roth here.
Tim Roth could do it, no doubt. And we already have an illustration for him :D

Hörnla said:
Interesting look, certainly capable to take the part.
Plummer can definitely pull off the sheer insanity of Bellatrix's character, though I'd certainly like to see some candidates from the UK.

Hörnla said:
Laurie. Certainly. Yes, that is not a "House"-Laurie, but he would be as good as Branagh was only at second glance.
Well, no, but this casting would date to before House anyway, at which time Laurie was best known for Blackadder and Jeeves and Wooster.

Hörnla said:
Nothing wrong with that, and given his apparent interest in the part of Voldy (which would have been the riskiest casting decision in history), I see no reason he wouldn't do this small part....although I suspect that we cannot help it but see a transparent Blackadder.
In fact, he'll probably wear the exact same costume he wore in Blackadder II.

Hörnla said:
Given his looks and young Albus' infatuation: Schweighöfer.
Looks-wise, I actually think Kross fits the role better (he's more of a pretty-boy than Schweighofer), but he'd be too young to play the role even in the OTL films, let alone the final season ITTL (Jamie Campbell-Bower, who played the part IOTL, is two years older). So it looks like Schweighofer gets the part by default.

Hard one. I have a few candidates in mind here, but only one I feel confident could pull off a Scottish accent: Lindsay Duncan.

Penelope Wilton or Frances de la Tour would seem otherwise suitable but for that unfortunate niggle.
Thanks for the terrific suggestions, Alberto! Everybody "on staff" really likes Duncan for the part, so it looks like we have a winner.

Alberto Knox said:
I see no reason not to stick with the OTL actresses here and I recall some discussion of Wanamaker further up the thread.
I like Margolyes well enough - I'm willing to have her play Sprout. Wanamaker is Hooch is more problematic - I really think it should be someone else.

Here's a few of my suggestions for parts,hopes ages are about right for parts.

Lavender Brown: Emily Head
Parvati Patil:Chandeep Uppal
Pany Parkinson: Montanna Thompson
Vincent Crabbe: John Seaward (could also play Goyle)
Goyle: Blake Harrison
Cedric Diggory : Joe Thomas
Hermione Granger: Charlotte Richie
Oliver Wood: Greg McHugh
Colin Creevey: James Buckley
Angelina Johnson: Zawe Ashton
Pomona Sprout:Patsy Byrne
Kingsley Shacklebolt: Adrian Lester
Madeye Moody: Philip Glenister
Mundungus Fletcher: Alan Davies
Proffessor Binns: John Bluthal
Ludo Bagman : Greg Davies or Martin Clunes
Tom Riddle: Sacha Baron Cohen
Molly Weasley: Miranda Richardson
Id Personally stick with all Dursleys as I think they work well espically Richard Griffiths,although I think Harry Melling (Dudley) would make a good Neville. I think Rowan Atkinson would want a promient part so I think Lord Voldermort would suit him well.
Thank you for your many suggestions, Milo! Though, as others have noted, some are rather... unorthodox. But they certainly bear further investigation!

We can easily keep Julie Walters as Molly Weasley: she's done a lot of TV.
All right, putting her back in as a candidate. She does have a very matronly way about her, and she is a redhead.

---

Speaking of redheads (and no, it's not what you think), it's really great to see a rush of new suggestions coming in, but I need to make a very special request. I've provided our two finalists for the role of Ron Weasley - one of the three most important characters in the whole series - and I would really like to hear your input on them. e of pi and I are actually deadlocked on which Ron would be better. And if your vote is "neither", we'd be happy to hear about any alternatives. The same goes for Neville - he's a placeholder candidate with whom neither of us are thrilled, not least of all because his date of birth is unknown. Thank you all once again for your enthusiasm :)

Stolengood

Banned
Three more recommendations: Michael Palin as Barty Crouch, Sr., Tom Fisher as Barty Crouch, Jr., and either Lennie James or Lennie Henry as Kingsley Shacklebolt. :)

Last edited: