Harry Potter and the Small Screen

Thande

Donor
Episodes are going to be 30 minutes long, as they'll air on CBBC.
To be clear, you are talking about the block of programming on BBC 1 called CBBC (which recently vanished) and not the channel called CBBC which ran in parallel and later succeeded it. As the channel CBBC only started in 2002 for a start anyway.
Excellent question. To borrow from other beloved British television characters, Vernon Dursley is essentially a middle-class Alf Garnett (note that Rowling always portrays him reading the Daily Mail) and Petunia is basically a younger, thinner Hyacinth Bucket (pronounced "Bouquet"). The only difference is that his bigotry and her aspirations are both directed against wizarding folk. So we need people in the right age range (Petunia should be about 35; Vernon can be older) who can pull off those portrayals. (Petunia has a bit more going on than Hyacinth, but the only Dursley with a real character arc is Dudley, yet another kid who shall need to be cast).
Those comparisons are somewhat reasonable, except I would say the Dursleys are less likeable than those characters. Though of course this may simply be because they're not in the spotlight: we tend to forgive characters a multitude of sins if they're the protagonist, especially in Roy Clarke-penned sitcoms for that matter (besides Hyacinth Bucket, see Arkwright in Open All Hours for instance).

It's difficult to say what kind of credits they would use before the reveal of Hogwarts; maybe they could go Mission Impossible-style and show clips specific to each episode in their respective openings?
How about a custom opening for the first episode where there's no official credits and the character names appear as subtitles with the first appearance of the characters? Then the second and third can just use flashback clips from the first before finally introducing the official opening with the reveal of Hogwarts.
And looking at how you "cast" Luaky Commer, I could give the unknowns chosen to play the kids all of your names in commemoration ;)
Oh, go on then. Within reason of course.
What I find unusual is that Murphy seems to have largely ignored the (quite popular) series in those books that post-date it (presumably written in response to the continuing Pottermania).
Well, a lot of authors do that. Sometimes dropping a take that to the TV adaptation by having a character have a dream in which 'everything is wrong' which is clearly supposed to criticise any changes made in the adaptation.
It's basically the same deal as Canada and the United States, more or less, and we all know that Harry Potter was so universally popular that I don't see how a language barrier would prove deterrent to the European countries (and there may well be a political drive there, as a sign of European Cultural Unity or the like).
This is a very rare thing to do though. Not entirely unprecedented--I recall watching a joint UK-German produced drama a short while ago--but very rare. You can justify it by how unique a phenomenon HP is though. (BTW, virtually everyone in the UK does not know that 'Eurovision' is an entity in itself which is responsible for more than just the Song Contest).

The Germans would I think be more open to doing it than the French, who tend to take a reds-under-the-bed attitude to Evil Anglo-Saxon Cultural Imperialism wedging its foot in the door, but someone who knows more about French TV in this period may correct me here.
There is an opportunity for an un-reveal gag where there's a map of Europe and someone "points" to where Durmstrang is - but we don't get to see it :D
I like :D
I think Laurie would be willing to play Lockhart, sure. The problem is that it would almost certainly butterfly his casting as House, but it's not like he would know that at the time. And besides, remember that Lockhart has a sinister underbelly beneath that veneer of ponciness, which technically makes it a subversion of his usual roles.
Laurie did play a sinister albeit comic villain in the last episode of Blackadder II...

Me neither. Though I can only "see" him as Captain Jim Star of the Boiling Hell, so I might not be the best judge on that score.
Huh, I thought I was the only person in the world who had ever seen that series...

Dementor

Banned
How about the Baltics? It's "central" in location relative to all of the geographical clues (save Bulgaria), fits most of the criteria given, and had a suitably large German population at one time, going all the way back to the Teutonic Order. Locations sufficiently steeped in the right kind of history include Courland in general and Riga in particular, along with those islands off the coast of Estonia (sufficiently isolated, if more Scandinavian than German in heritage).
No, it doesn't fit as there no mountains whatsoever in the Baltic for the Durmstrang students to fly over. And it's not really that far north for the days to be noticeably shorter in winter than in Scotland..

Thank you for posting the most fascinating HP thread that I've seen here on AltHist. Ever.

I need to think about doing some replies to you pretty soon.

Regards,
Gerard

I don't think this has been suggested yet, but how about Chris Barrie? I think he'd be a very good Snape, but as with Rowan Atkinson his other roles would intrude. However there is another possible role for him: Filch.

Also Tony Robinson would make a wonderful Flitwick.

So we need people in the right age range (Petunia should be about 35; Vernon can be older)

I agree very much. The more I think about the Dursley's, the more I understand that Petunia tried to make up for "being the ordinary girls compared to Lily" by searching for a successful (therefore surely a bit older) man. Though one can hardly believe it, Vernon is a businessman with his own company, and at least doesn't go broke.

I actually quite like this idea - a great way to bring Harry Potter beyond the Anglosphere - and it makes me think of the other European countries with large and lucrative television markets. Having researched Eurovision some time ago I recall a "Big Four" (which now seems to have expanded into a "Big Five") of European Broadcasting Union contributory nations, of which both the UK and Germany - and, in particular, the BBC and ZDF - are members. I agree that France will want in - Spain and Italy will surely follow.

The crucial German role is obviously Grindelwald, which is going to be one of the very last roles cast - and we'll need two: young and ancient. Young Grindelwald will obviously need to have great chemistry with young Dumbledore, though Rowling has said that the character is not gay (and was indeed using Albus's affections to his advantage).

Hmmm, I am very curious if the Bulgarians or other step in in time to claim the general Durmstrang casting for themselves. If not, I...err, the ZDF... have a casting proposal to make for Karkaroff: Christoph Walz. He could very well play an ambiguous character and he is also experienced when it comes to co-productions with the British (The Gravy Train).

I haven't really taken Grindelwald into consideration yet. Still so much time until the final volumes get aired...

Considering the success of the books, the BBC should be able to sell the series into every corner of the world, not only Europe. The books very quickly and easily jumped across the boundaries of the Anglosphere.

It's basically the same deal as Canada and the United States, more or less, and we all know that Harry Potter was so universally popular that I don't see how a language barrier would prove deterrent to the European countries (and there may well be a political drive there, as a sign of European Cultural Unity or the like).

There will certainly not be much politics in these decisions. The chief politician in the project, so to say, is JK Rowling as she shapes this universe. (I see her Volume IV as a plea for a DeGaullian rather loosely tied "Europe of Nations").

There is an opportunity for an un-reveal gag where there's a map of Europe and someone "points" to where Durmstrang is - but we don't get to see it

I think it should be somewhere between North Haverbrook and Shelbyville, but not that close to Springfield.

I agree - in fact, for all we know, it could have been intended as a Germanophone wizarding school, founded in the days when German-speaking populations were indeed found all over Central and Eastern Europe - and it presumably started admitting non-Germanophones sometime in the 20th century (or maybe the 19th, if the Hungarians had enough pull).

The fandom in the Potter-wikis takes Northern Skandinavia for granted. However, concerning the ideas of the German co-producers, what matters is what kind of role they may play in the continued series.

I could speculate forever about the history of Durmstrang, possible further Wizarding schools and why there must be more of them around Europe. I would rather say that Durmstrang always admitted non-Germanophones (though German probably used to be the lingua franca there). As it is medieval in its origina, the concept of nationalities wouldn't have been that strong for most of the time of its existence, and also the Habsburg realm through the centuries was just as multi-faceted as such a school (Charles V hardly spoke German, later on, the court was rather based in Prague then in Vienna and so on).

The Germans would I think be more open to doing it than the French, who tend to take a reds-under-the-bed attitude to Evil Anglo-Saxon Cultural Imperialism wedging its foot in the door, but someone who knows more about French TV in this period may correct me here.

I don't know. I am always stunned to discover German series on French TV... And again, it is Pottermania, even under the described circumstances it might be the big exception.

---

I second the involvement of Tony Robinson! Flitwick, yes....but considering his experience as Baldrick, he might just as well end up as Filch.

To be clear, you are talking about the block of programming on BBC 1 called CBBC (which recently vanished) and not the channel called CBBC which ran in parallel and later succeeded it. As the channel CBBC only started in 2002 for a start anyway.
Yes, thank you for clarifying that. The Adventures of Harry Potter will air on BBC One as its flagship channel throughout its original run. Reruns (especially of the first two seasons) will become a mainstay on CBBC when it separates into a different channel, however. Maybe a rebroadcast of the hour-long series premiere could serve as their debut?

Thande said:
Those comparisons are somewhat reasonable, except I would say the Dursleys are less likeable than those characters. Though of course this may simply be because they're not in the spotlight: we tend to forgive characters a multitude of sins if they're the protagonist, especially in Roy Clarke-penned sitcoms for that matter (besides Hyacinth Bucket, see Arkwright in Open All Hours for instance).
Agreed - though I think the general tone and character focus of Keeping Up Appearances (Hyacinth as malevolent force of nature, and how we relate to everyone else doing their best to resist her) would be a good jumping-off point for their take on the Dursleys. It's going to be tough to pull off Vernon Dursley (Rowling's least favourite character), though, because British television audiences - past (Alf Garnett) and present (Gene Hunt) just seem to love their bigots. The OTL movies did a reasonable job of portraying the Dursleys, though they had much more limited screentime than they would in the series ITTL.

Thande said:
How about a custom opening for the first episode where there's no official credits and the character names appear as subtitles with the first appearance of the characters? Then the second and third can just use flashback clips from the first before finally introducing the official opening with the reveal of Hogwarts.
I like the "opening with no real credits" approach for the first episode, though what you're describing sounds like it would take some finesse. And since episode four (counting the premiere as two separate episodes) ends with the reveal shot of Hogwarts, it's a great opportunity to build on the excitement by properly "unveiling" it to open episode five.

Thande said:
Oh, go on then. Within reason of course.
Now aren't you glad I've already cast Harry :p

Thande said:
You can justify it by how unique a phenomenon HP is though.
That's exactly what I'm going to do.

Thande said:
Rowling is a fan of The Simpsons, after all :D

Thande said:
Huh, I thought I was the only person in the world who had ever seen that series...
Like The Worst Witch, Captain Star was a Canadian co-production - which means that, due to CanCon regulations, it was ubiquitous over here in the late 1990s.

Throwing in another casting suggestion... occurs to me that Julian Wadham might make a rather good Snape.
Thanks for the suggestion! That's another one for me to add to the ever-growing list...

No, it doesn't fit as there no mountains whatsoever in the Baltic for the Durmstrang students to fly over. And it's not really that far north for the days to be noticeably shorter in winter than in Scotland..
Well, it was worth a shot. It really does seem that the Simpsons approach is the way to go here...

Thank you for posting the most fascinating HP thread that I've seen here on AltHist. Ever.
Thank you very much for the compliment! We're glad to have you aboard.

Gerard-ABC said:
I need to think about doing some replies to you pretty soon.
I look forward to seeing them :)

I don't think this has been suggested yet, but how about Chris Barrie? I think he'd be a very good Snape, but as with Rowan Atkinson his other roles would intrude. However there is another possible role for him: Filch.
Chris Barrie for Filch? I have to admit, I'm having trouble seeing it, myself. But I think he does make an excellent candidate for Gilderoy Lockhart.

drakensis said:
Also Tony Robinson would make a wonderful Flitwick.
I think that, for Flitwick, we'll be going with the OTL performer, Warwick Davis.

I agree very much. The more I think about the Dursley's, the more I understand that Petunia tried to make up for "being the ordinary girls compared to Lily" by searching for a successful (therefore surely a bit older) man. Though one can hardly believe it, Vernon is a businessman with his own company, and at least doesn't go broke.
Agreed. Their relationship will be very old-fashioned in that sense - downright Victorian, even.

Hörnla said:
Hmmm, I am very curious if the Bulgarians or other step in in time to claim the general Durmstrang casting for themselves. If not, I...err, the ZDF... have a casting proposal to make for Karkaroff: Christoph Walz. He could very well play an ambiguous character and he is also experienced when it comes to co-productions with the British (The Gravy Train).
Was Waltz really that big a deal in German-speaking markets that long ago, though? Also: Karkaroff is Russian, not Bulgarian, and could theoretically be cast by any actor from the other side of the fallen Iron Curtain. But surely Bruno Ganz is just as likely a candidate for a part in the series as Waltz? :p

Hörnla said:
Considering the success of the books, the BBC should be able to sell the series into every corner of the world, not only Europe. The books very quickly and easily jumped across the boundaries of the Anglosphere.
Agreed. We should be seeing the show airing on all six inhabited continents by the time of the projected 2002-03 production hiatus.

Hörnla said:
I think it should be somewhere between North Haverbrook and Shelbyville, but not that close to Springfield.
Wouldn't that be something - a magic-powered monorail! :D

Hörnla said:
I could speculate forever about the history of Durmstrang, possible further Wizarding schools and why there must be more of them around Europe. I would rather say that Durmstrang always admitted non-Germanophones (though German probably used to be the lingua franca there). As it is medieval in its origina, the concept of nationalities wouldn't have been that strong for most of the time of its existence, and also the Habsburg realm through the centuries was just as multi-faceted as such a school (Charles V hardly spoke German, later on, the court was rather based in Prague then in Vienna and so on).
It's probably not something that can bear close historiographical scrutiny - depending on just how old this Germanophone school would be, it's increasingly likely that Latin would have once been the language of instruction. We could always assume that it was founded in the wake of the German Reformation, but that's very young for a wizarding school. Contrast Beauxbatons, which is located on the French Riviera, and for all we know could have been founded by Greek colonists some 2,500 years ago or more.

Hörnla said:
I second the involvement of Tony Robinson! Flitwick, yes....but considering his experience as Baldrick, he might just as well end up as Filch.
I agree, he seems very nearly the ideal candidate for Filch.

Another though for Snape.
I believe Crispin Glover is free at this point and he can certainly pull off greasy and lanky :D

He's American.
And even if he weren't, I can only see him in one role: George McFly. "My density has bought me to you."

There have been some truly fantastic casting suggestions, and I think that I now have enough in many of the critical adult roles. However...

There's been a lot of suggestions for the adults, but what about the kids?
My thoughts exactly.

Last edited:

Thande

Donor
Agreed - though I think the general tone and character focus of Keeping Up Appearances (Hyacinth as malevolent force of nature, and how we relate to everyone else doing their best to resist her) would be a good jumping-off point for their take on the Dursleys. It's going to be tough to pull off Vernon Dursley (Rowling's least favourite character), though, because British television audiences - past (Alf Garnett) and present (Gene Hunt) just seem to love their bigots. The OTL movies did a reasonable job of portraying the Dursleys, though they had much more limited screentime than they would in the series ITTL.
It's true that British audiences generally perversely like straw Daily Mail reader characters of this type who are intended to be the villain, but I don't think it would happen in this case because we see how the Dursleys abuse Harry and it's not presented in a comedic light. The Dursleys are basically very much in the mould of Roald Dahl villains, I noticed the influence immediately when I first read the book, and nobody ever finds them sympathetic.

Like The Worst Witch, Captain Star was a Canadian co-production - which means that, due to CanCon regulations, it was ubiquitous over here in the late 1990s.
Tch, another one of yours? I think I only ever saw the pilot as I believe it flopped over here. A bit too...deranged and adult in style for kids' programming.

I think that, for Flitwick, we'll be going with the OTL performer, Warwick Davis.
I was very glad when I saw the first Potter film that they'd given that role to Davis, it's a pity he didn't get more screentime. I first came across his work with his great performance as Reepicheep in the BBC Narnia series (far better than those awful modern films with some CGI voiced by Eddie Izzard)...

Was Waltz really that big a deal in German-speaking markets that long ago, though? Also: Karkaroff is Russian, not Bulgarian, and could theoretically be cast by any actor from the other side of the fallen Iron Curtain. But surely Bruno Ganz is just as likely a candidate for a part in the series as Waltz? :p
Yeah, we will see the usual approach to this. Just as Rowling basically used the 'bah, everything east of the Rhine is basically the same' British approach to characterise Durmstrang, any sufficiently 'foreigny' actors from that region will do. Actually, although I'm not sure if the age range would work as it was from a few years earlier, you might want to check out the Polish cast from Spellbinder (arguably the finest Australian-Polish jointly produced show about an alternate universe ruled by an electricity-using feudal autarchy).

And even if he weren't, I can only see him in one role: George McFly. "My density has bought me to you."QUOTE]
Fair enough - it's his role as Creepy Thin Man in Drew Barrymore's Charlie's Angels film that brought it to light. Took me the rest of that film to realise who he was!

Actually, although I'm not sure if the age range would work as it was from a few years earlier, you might want to check out the Polish cast from Spellbinder (arguably the finest Australian-Polish jointly produced show about an alternate universe ruled by an electricity-using feudal autarchy).

Ah that show was quite good and typically ruined by a substandard sequel

Another though for Snape.
I believe Crispin Glover is free at this point and he can certainly pull off greasy and lanky :D

You devil, proposing an American who would nevertheless be perfect. My reference point here is of course Charlie's Angels, too.

Waltz was a well-known face, known for solid, high-quality character acting on TV, but not a star. He also never starred in anything significant on the big-screen prior to Inglorious Bastards.
IMO, that makes him a perfect choice.

I had thought of Ganz (who is Swiss, and Grindelwald is a place in Switzerland after all) for the old Gellert G.

It's probably not something that can bear close historiographical scrutiny - depending on just how old this Germanophone school would be, it's increasingly likely that Latin would have once been the language of instruction. We could always assume that it was founded in the wake of the German Reformation, but that's very young for a wizarding school. Contrast Beauxbatons, which is located on the French Riviera, and for all we know could have been founded by Greek colonists some 2,500 years ago or more.

I agree. It is all just speculation, fortunately, we do not have to agree on a version, I guess.

Spellbinder (arguably the finest Australian-Polish jointly produced show about an alternate universe ruled by an electricity-using feudal autarchy).

Umm... OK?
thats a very inventive line, there. I THINK its damning with faint praise, but in context it might be real praise, with a snide aside at the wierdity of it all.

Not having seen it, i have no clue.

It's true that British audiences generally perversely like straw Daily Mail reader characters of this type who are intended to be the villain, but I don't think it would happen in this case because we see how the Dursleys abuse Harry and it's not presented in a comedic light. The Dursleys are basically very much in the mould of Roald Dahl villains, I noticed the influence immediately when I first read the book, and nobody ever finds them sympathetic.
I agree that playing them as Roald Dahl villains fits the tone of the book - the connection is strengthened by the decision made IOTL to cast Pam Ferris (who played Trunchbull in Matilda) as Aunt Marge for Prisoner of Azkaban (and in retrospect, it's remarkable that they chose to keep that whole sequence in light of some of the grievous cuts they made). If Ferris were male, she would be the ideal Vernon Dursley: more cartoon than man.

Thande said:
Tch, another one of yours? I think I only ever saw the pilot as I believe it flopped over here. A bit too...deranged and adult in style for kids' programming.
I know very little about the original comics (though I understand that their author, Steven Appleby, is something of a cult figure over there), but from what I can tell, the themes were transferred to the series more-or-less intact, with the more adult implications thereof merely left unsaid (similar to Cybersix, a Canadian-Japanese co-production based on an Argentinian comic book, which naturally featured an escaped Nazi scientist playing Frankenstein).

Thande said:
I was very glad when I saw the first Potter film that they'd given that role to Davis, it's a pity he didn't get more screentime. I first came across his work with his great performance as Reepicheep in the BBC Narnia series (far better than those awful modern films with some CGI voiced by Eddie Izzard)...
Apparently, the decision to make Flitwick a goblin-like character in the earlier films was done independently of Rowling, who saw him as simply a tiny old man; so imagine something more along the lines of how Davis looks in the later films from the very beginning ITTL (though, obviously, not so young).

Thande said:
Yeah, we will see the usual approach to this. Just as Rowling basically used the 'bah, everything east of the Rhine is basically the same' British approach to characterise Durmstrang, any sufficiently 'foreigny' actors from that region will do. Actually, although I'm not sure if the age range would work as it was from a few years earlier, you might want to check out the Polish cast from Spellbinder (arguably the finest Australian-Polish jointly produced show about an alternate universe ruled by an electricity-using feudal autarchy).
Agreed about the homogeneity in casting trans-Rhenish characters; unfortunately, though, the Spellbinder cast seems a bit too old.

Fair enough - it's his role as Creepy Thin Man in Drew Barrymore's Charlie's Angels film that brought it to light. Took me the rest of that film to realise who he was!
Though it is admirable that Rowling never succumbed to the temptation to include prominent American characters, it can be somewhat limiting in terms of casting choices.

The Professor said:
Ah that show was quite good and typically ruined by a substandard sequel
At least you can ignore sequel series. Here in the Americas, of course, it's the original series that always runs for too long and ruins things :p

Waltz was a well-known face, known for solid, high-quality character acting on TV, but not a star. He also never starred in anything significant on the big-screen prior to Inglorious Bastards.
IMO, that makes him a perfect choice.
We could cast him as a Death Eater. Plenty with Germanic-sounding names, and we know he can speak English well enough...

Hörnla said:
I had thought of Ganz (who is Swiss, and Grindelwald is a place in Switzerland after all) for the old Gellert G.
That is, of course, perfect meta-casting, since Grindelwald and Hitler were at large in the same era and were defeated in the same year, which was deliberate on the part of Rowling (well, she's said "no comment", but it was clearly her intention). The scenes of Old Grindelwald in his castle in Deathly Hallows (a prison of his own creation, just like the Fuhrerbunker was to Hitler) would very uncomfortably echo the scenes in Downfall. Discussing it right now, as a thought experiment, I think it could leave a chillingly powerful impression. But how would it turn out in execution? You can tell me - would Germans accept this, with Ganz subtly evoking his prior performance as Hitler, but going one step beyond and portraying Grindelwald as seemingly remorseful? Ganz does seems suitably fearless as an actor that he would accept the role despite the implications.

Umm... OK?
thats a very inventive line, there. I THINK its damning with faint praise, but in context it might be real praise, with a snide aside at the wierdity of it all.

Not having seen it, i have no clue.

It's real praise on my part--it was one of my favourite shows growing up--but I was just noting how uniquely specific the premise of the show was with a reference to Penny Arcade doing the same here.
Would you believe... there's a trope for that? The Penny Arcade invocation of which seems rather tame, actually.

I'll be working on that other timeline this long weekend, but I hope to have an updated casting roster ready in the next few days.

Yes, i thought about that Meta-Casting, too. Ganz As Grindelwald would Not occur to me without His role in downfall. IMHO, JK might have regretted putting in 1945 As a significant Date. It brought meaning to the grimdelwald Episode which it didn't Need.
As to German reactions, by the Late 2000s, there wouldn't Be much of a risen eyebrow. The Bigger obstacle will probably Be to Get ganz risking typecasting. We Need the grandchildren-Trick, probably. And i am certain, He would Play Grindelwald much different from His hitler (As, despite the coincidences, the Roles are different.

That is, of course, perfect meta-casting, since Grindelwald and Hitler were at large in the same era and were defeated in the same year, which was deliberate on the part of Rowling (well, she's said "no comment", but it was clearly her intention). The scenes of Old Grindelwald in his castle in Deathly Hallows (a prison of his own creation, just like the Fuhrerbunker was to Hitler) would very uncomfortably echo the scenes in Downfall. Discussing it right now, as a thought experiment, I think it could leave a chillingly powerful impression. But how would it turn out in execution? You can tell me - would Germans accept this, with Ganz subtly evoking his prior performance as Hitler, but going one step beyond and portraying Grindelwald as seemingly remorseful? Ganz does seem fearless as an actor that he would accept the role despite the implications.

Would you believe... there's a trope for that? The Penny Arcade invocation of which seems rather tame, actually.

I'll be working on that other timeline this long weekend, but I hope to have an updated casting roster ready in the next few days.

In Order to bump this Thread I propose Matthias Schweighöfer As Young Grindelwald.
I would have put forward David Kross As Victor Krum, but I realized he is too Young As krum is Already 18 in "goblet".

Random casting suggestion I thought of today.

I was re-watching Pulp Fiction last night, and I thought of the Harry Potter movie my friends had taken me to see with the Helena Bonham Carter character. That's when I made the connection.

How about Amanda Plummer as Bellatrix Lestrange? Yes, I know she's not British, but in the movie she did a great job portraying a British character (her accent seemed seamless alongside Tim Roth's, who's an actual Brit).

Thoughts?