Great War Games

I know of a couple of games that take place during the Great War period but I was wondering if there any you guys know of that I don't.

Games as in video games? Board games?

There's an old PC game called Iron Storm, in which World War I never ended and dragged on into the 1960s and later, the 1990s.

Either, I care not.

And I played Iron Storm on my dad's computer when I was 8. I couldn't understand why it took 8 bullets to kill some guy because he had a fancier uniform than everyone else.

Either, I care not.

And I played Iron Storm on my dad's computer when I was 8. I couldn't understand why it took 8 bullets to kill some guy because he had a fancier uniform than everyone else.

Welcome to the world of FPS.

Anyway, you've probably already heard of this but Victoria: revolutions allows you to play through WW1.

There's also Toy soldiers for the Xbox 360 Arcade. It's a tower defence game but I'd highly recommend it.

World of Tanks. Outside Russia still in the Beta Phase and has some balancing issues, but still great fun. One player, one tank, in different tiers and types. My current one is a Marder II with a captured Russian 75mil.

Saladan: Thank for the inauguration speech, its ten years late :D and yes, Toy Soldiers is an amazing game.

Thrashing_Mad: Looks old, but very entertaining. Id probably play with the German script on.

Trekchu: I'm looking that up, definitely.

There's one published by Paradox (Designed by a French developer, IIRC) called WW1 Gold. Don't know how it plays though.

Darkest Hour will include the WW1 era, but I don't know how it will work out.

But my registration over there is pretty messed up right now, so I dont' really know that much, sorry.

Leaving FPS games and that ilk aside, WW1 has never been a popular topic for either board or miniature war games. Bit of a cultural hangover from the Western Front and other catastrophes it seems, although the war was much more than just that front.

Naval combat is covered more often than land combat with Jutland receiving almost all of the attention naturally. You may find a minis rule set called Seakrieg interesting.

As for ground combat, in the last 15 years or so a designer named Ted Raicer has produced several WW1 titles covering both Western and Eastern fronts at different times during the war. His games usually play at the divisional/corps level. I've had the pleasure of playing a few of his own designs against him at various gaming conventions. I also sat in on a game in which his opponent playing the Germans in 1918: Storm in the West blew open the Western Front forcing Ted to resign early on.

As rare as operational/strategic WW1 games are, tactical level games are even rarer. Both SPI and AH published a few, indifferent designs. While I haven't played all of them, I feel that SPI's To The Green Fields Beyond is the best among the ones I have played.

Another game which I've yet to play, but have sat in on, is COA's Landships. If you think of ASL for WW1 you'll have a good grasp of it and the guys I watched told me it was usually part of their rotation.

There are two First World War strategy games I know of. The first is "Entente" which is basically a graphical mod for Cossacks with aircraft and gas added. Note, no trenches. Best avoided.

The second is marginally better. It's based off the Enigma Engine (i. Blitzkrieg, Stalingrad, Mission Kursk et al) but it seems it was developed by a Russian developer, and as such the Western Front is portrayed the same as the East. The graphics are garish, but it's not too bad really. Decent voiceovers for the British also (surprising for a Russian game).

Personally, both are disappointing, although I did make a First World War mod for Blitzkrieg called "The Trenches". Didn't get very far, but it was quite popular in it's beta stage.

I would LOVE to see something along the lines of Combat Mission or Theatre of War set during the Great War. I doubt it shall happen unfortunately. Too many people are still under the impression the Western Front was naught but trenches for 4 years. As a First World War re-enactor myself, this is a saddening state of affairs, but one I seek to educate people about.

Oh, there is one small light at the end of the tunnel.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-great-war-1918

I have helped out on this mod, and may be doing voice overs for them at some point in the future. It's about as historically accurate as you can get for a mod of it's type.

In Vicky 2 you can play to the Great War era, though there's no Great War scenario, but there is one in the original Victoria.

In all HoI games there's a 1914 mod.

perfectgeneral

Donor
Monthly Donor
Leaving FPS games and that ilk aside, WW1 has never been a popular topic for either board or miniature war games. Bit of a cultural hangover from the Western Front and other catastrophes it seems, although the war was much more than just that front.

Naval combat is covered more often than land combat with Jutland receiving almost all of the attention naturally. You may find a minis rule set called Seakrieg interesting.

As for ground combat, in the last 15 years or so a designer named Ted Raicer has produced several WW1 titles covering both Western and Eastern fronts at different times during the war. His games usually play at the divisional/corps level. I've had the pleasure of playing a few of his own designs against him at various gaming conventions. I also sat in on a game in which his opponent playing the Germans in 1918: Storm in the West blew open the Western Front forcing Ted to resign early on.

As rare as operational/strategic WW1 games are, tactical level games are even rarer. Both SPI and AH published a few, indifferent designs. While I haven't played all of them, I feel that SPI's To The Green Fields Beyond is the best among the ones I have played.

Another game which I've yet to play, but have sat in on, is COA's Landships. If you think of ASL for WW1 you'll have a good grasp of it and the guys I watched told me it was usually part of their rotation.
pic834645_t.jpg

I can't believe that you haven't heard of the board game Paths Of Glory (POG) since you have played it with the designer and yet you claim there are no popular games set during WW1. POG is still one of the most popular board based strategic war games. It truly is a great game. Get a reprint from the publisher if you can as the second hand market is seriously inflated by demand. Coat the pieces in sticky back clear plastic and get card sleeves as you will play this game again and again.

Last edited:
Its more simulation than game but has any one here heard of the PC game Rise of Flight? If you are a fan of WW1 aviation or flying aces it might be up your alley, but it is involved. (knowing how to fly is a big help :D)

attachment.php

Last edited: