From Doros With Love

800px-Genoese_fortress_in_Sudak.jpg

The ruins of the was-Genoese fortress on Sudach(1), in Kherson(2), pictured today.

Preamble
The Gambling Eagle-1449

Empires rise and fall. From the great Macedonian Empire, to the Arabian Empire of the East. Titles have been taken ranging from Emperors, to Caliphs. All of which are sign of force, power and might that one man could project into the mankind. Alexander. Caesar. Everything eventually comes down on how such men ruled over the lands that they governed. And now, things began to change. The west is not the exactly what is it, and so does the east. The west became a squabbling, disorganized force, while the threat of the east comes with two parts, with the Turkish menace that managed to bring down the Byzantines, and also, the other horde menace that managed to even make the Persians kneels within their reach. Not even the Arabs could even handle the matter, as it was evident that it is not religion that is the true cause of the conflicts, rather, greed and lust for power.

The year is 1449. The Byzantine Empire is slowly falling into the Ottoman power. Not a menace, but a power. The Byzantines also left their legacy by the form of the Christian states that broke away, while the Ottomans also have the Beyliks at their hands. Regardless, one of the very legacy that the Byzantines possessed is none other than the Theodorians, at the North, bordering with the Mongol Horde, and the Genoese-controlled regions and ports. Descendants of the Greco-Gothic converts who swear fealty for the Basileus, the Theodorians is always been at stakes, as their loyalty for the faith is always been questioned from the very beginning, with them being cozying themselves up with the Golden Horde. Yet now, seeing the fate that the Byzantine Empire endured, it is clear that the Theodorians doesnt have any more choices left at their hand. Its about survival. Its all about staying alive, and staying independent.

Staying independent, by any means, is to not defending the faith, or anything else. In fact, betraying it may be the only best bet for survival. Looking down South-and also at their East, they could see the greedy Genoese having profits over the fall of the Byzantine Empire(3), a thing that could be fermented. Looking down again on the path of history, it was clear that the Western Catholic forces is none other than the culprit of the Byzantines's fall, not the Muslims(4), not anyone. The Latin Empire is the true sign the fall of Christianity. Perhaps, they are the true menace. Not the Mohammedans. And sooner or later, whoeever came out from the conflict, they will try their hands on the Theodorians, including the Genoese who probably will got any ideas to expand. This, forces the current prince of Theodoro, Alexius I-thinks the unthinkable. The ties to the North, and the South, all of which must be cut off(5), in order to survive.
flag_of_gothia_prinicpality_of_theodoro_by_kyuzoaoi-daayurv.png

The flag of the Kingdom of Theodoro, flewn a month after the proclamation of the Kingdom's formation.

A gamble it is. Believing that the only way to survive is none other than to expand, Alexis I, shortly after crowning himself as a King, not just a Prince, went to the lands of the Horde, bringing a proposition(6) of a lifetime. A plan that will ensure the survival of both parties. A deal that benefited them both. More than a tribute. More than just being a vassal. The deal itself spoke about the Theodorians being a "Special Tribute"(7), with them being obligated to give the loot and plunder of the future captured territories that Alexis I promised to them(8). All, for a exchange for a millitary support. All, of this, is just to re-establish the Byzantine Empire. In a odd, deadly alliance to stop the Turkish menace. The Mongolians themselves are also fully aware, on what dangers the Turks could possessed against them. Alexis I, trying to bring more reassurance to the Mongolians, also swears his army's fealty for the Mongolian Khan, swearing to support any endeavors tha the Khan wanted to do in the future. All, of which, is just to secure a "Independence", while also taking out the Genoese from the picture.

Shortly afterwards, with the Golden Horde staying true to their words, Alexis I began to devise his own plans. It was not just taking down the Genoese. More than that. From his claims, to what his ultimate plan is. He knew that he wouldnt live as long as possible to carry out those plans, yet Alexis I knew, that his decisions and his moves will be the one that will decisive for things to come, laying the future groundworks for his successors. At the time where Constantinople falls, the Genoese holdings on the region will be taken. The seas would not be as friendly as it was, and the seas would not speak for the Genoese forces. And when the time comes, he believed that this could be the second rebirth of the Eastern Roman Empire. All, within its true glorious form. Not led by the incompetent Greeks, but rather, the Goths(9).

AUDIE'S MADHOUSE PRESENTS
From Doros With Love
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In a sense, the actual POD here is that Alexis I of Theodoro decided that to expand is his only best bet to survive. No clear of any POD being given, as the POD of this timeline is only a change of direction that the Theodorian leaders will took during the final days of the Byzantine Empire.

No. The Theodorians ARE NOT the actual main focus of the timeline. This timeline's scope is global. And also..yes, this updated will be regularly updated on Mondays.
(1).The Greco-Gothic name for Sudak. Yes, this is just a hint to come.
(2).The Greco-Gothic-and Theodorian name for Crimea. Yes. Kherson will be the ATL term for the region, things are going to change, and this is just an another hint.
(3).Oh yes, yes, the schism will be a big thing on this TL.
(4).DEADLY ALLIANCE!
(5).I dont tell you what claims that the Theodorians are placing, yes? Its more than just a "Eastern Roman Empire".
(6).Uh, huh.....warmer...
(7).Somewhat a loose vassal. Somewhat.
(8).OH YES! THERE WILL BE BLOOD! THE SCHISM WANTS BLOOD!
(9).OH YES! THIS IS SOMETHING I'VE BEEN PLANNING! YES! JUST WAIT!