French defeat and Algeria

In most AH scenarios where France goes to war with Germany, Great Britain, or pretty much anybody in the latter half of the 19th century or first half of the 20th century, it seems that even if Alsace-Lorraine, Picardy, and Brittany are all stripped from the country, it will, more likely than not, still retain Algeria. Why? Surely it would make sense for the territory to be passed on to Italy or Britain or Germany in the case of a harsh peace with France, but I rarely see this happen.

In most AH scenarios where France goes to war with Germany, Great Britain, or pretty much anybody in the latter half of the 19th century or first half of the 20th century, it seems that even if Alsace-Lorraine, Picardy, and Brittany are all stripped from the country, it will, more likely than not, still retain Algeria. Why? Surely it would make sense for the territory to be passed on to Italy or Britain or Germany in the case of a harsh peace with France, but I rarely see this happen.

Maybe they let France keep it as a consolation prize because Algeria was almost considered part of metropolitan France anyway. It's also probably because the authors want France to come back for a second round in an alt-WW2. My AH scenarios usually strip Algeria from France anyway at some point in the TL (except for the current Frenchwank I'm writing).