For Want of A Sandwich - A Franz Ferdinand Lives Wikibox TL

Nelson Mandela is much more obscure ITTL, but he is still renowned among Progressives.
I take it that he's viewed as a great "what could have been" ITTL in terms of how people would think that had things gone differently, he would have brought about a less violent end of the South African regime?

I could help but notice that some of those governors are very young, a couple having taken office before they were 30!

Some indeed became governors pretty young age. I don't know then how plausible it is. Or is there some specific age limit for governors like there is for president?

Some indeed became governors pretty young age. I don't know then how plausible it is. Or is there some specific age limit for governors like there is for president?
Depends on the state, entirely, since it’s their constitutional office.

In most cases my understanding is no - there’s states where 18 year olds get elected to the legislature - but various institutional, cultural and voter biases exist to keep young ‘uns out of executive positions where they have more on their plate individually even if there are no formal biases. (Though of course that’s not always the case, as one can see with situations like Lina Hidalgo in Texas)

List of United States Senators (29 January 2023)
Senators-1.jpg

Senators-2.jpg

Senators-3.jpg

Senators-4.jpg
Senators-5.jpg

Senators-6.jpg

Senators-7.jpg

Senators-8.jpg

Senators-9.jpg

I take it that he's viewed as a great "what could have been" ITTL in terms of how people would think that had things gone differently, he would have brought about a less violent end of the South African regime?
Something along these lines...
I could help but notice that some of those governors are very young, a couple having taken office before they were 30!

Depends on the state, entirely, since it’s their constitutional office.

In most cases my understanding is no - there’s states where 18 year olds get elected to the legislature - but various institutional, cultural and voter biases exist to keep young ‘uns out of executive positions where they have more on their plate individually even if there are no formal biases. (Though of course that’s not always the case, as one can see with situations like Lina Hidalgo in Texas)
It actually depends on the state : on the two cases here, Carlos Ramirez-Sosa was actually a candidate for Lt. Governor in 2018 IOTL, here he won and went to the top job after Lisa Madigan was elected Governor ; as of Tomi Lahren in South Dakota, one can run for Governor at 18 in this state if he wants.
I must say the governors list is very impressive.
Thank you very much.

Wow. Margaret Stock and Jon Huntsman are the only Republican Senators west of the Mississippi River.
Looks like the GOP's fortunes went downhill after the founding of the US Conservative Party.

An OTL foreign former head of state is a U.S. senator in this timeline. Great alternate uses of some real-life people. I'm not sure I buy some of these picks though. Where is the ideological divide between the Republicans and the Conservatives in this timeline?

Wow. Margaret Stock and Jon Huntsman are the only Republican Senators west of the Mississippi River.
Looks like the GOP's fortunes went downhill after the founding of the US Conservative Party.

I think that things went for Republicans pretty badly during Roosevelt's second presidency when he managed to establish Protressive Party. But I am bit amazed that GOP is still exist.

Where is the ideological divide between the Republicans and the Conservatives in this timeline?

GOP is probably ratherly fiscal conservative and libertarian party and Conservative ratherly socially conservative and very religious party. Damn, there was even Pat Robertson's presidency.

Checked presidential list and I remembered Roosevelt's party wrong. He was still Republican in 1920's. But probably weakening of GOP begun in 1920's or 1930's. In other hand might be that Progessives have either splitted from Democrats or then Democrats have changed their name since last Democrat president was Al Smith in years 1933 - 1941.

Man, a Senators list is terrific! I'm going to go in depth on this because all of the information is really interesting, hope you don't mind! I'm going to very rambling, and no mistake.

Alabama's senators seem pretty decent all things considered, really fascinating to learn about Heather Whitestone so thanks for that (Judging by the dates I assume she replaced Patterson when he passed! Alaska is a mixture of "Aw god" and "Huh!". Arizona and Arkansas makes sense, though I do have to wonder if there's much conflict between the Conservative party members given the OTL nature of their alignments. Condolezza Rice as a Progressive shook me but given that she was a Democrat up until the Reagan years I guess it makes sense. Not as much as her counterpart though, bloody hell! (In a good way) Colorado's pair of senators is terrific, love to see it. This is not a critique more of a statement but I would have figured Connecticut to be one of the bastions of Republican party members, but it's always good to see Progressive colours there. Castle is a no brainer but seeing Denn on the Republican side is certainly interesting. Florida gotta Florida, Georgia's a lot more interesting! Any particular reason why Reed has a different first name here? Hawaii's grand and no mistake, Otter makes sense for Idaho and I wonder what required a quick replacement for Idaho's other senator? Illinois having a Governor Madigan's fun, Indiana, Kansas, Missouri, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, South Dakota, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming seem pretty understandable to me, interesting to see a young slate in Iowa though and Kentucky being a bit more competitive. Louisiana going full Conservative makes a lot of sense and Maine even now being a swingy state is pretty fair too, I know little about Cragin but it's fun to see someone different serving for so long!

Maryland's pair of senators sound pretty fun, all things considered! Same goes for Minnesota. It's fun seeing Republican Warren here, makes total sense! Curious about what happened with Michigan, though it's status as a swing state does make some sense. And man, I was preparing for the worse with Mississippi but that seems...pretty damn good all things considering! Once again, impressed to see that Montana, Nebraska and North Dakota is holding onto the Progressives even if there are troubles ahead for them. Same for Ohio, Senator Kucinich feels weird in a good way! Nevada being Conservative is interesting, definitely makes sense considering it's makeup even a decade or so back. Also Vincent Fox in Nevada! I love this kind of thing, really makes it interesting! Like learning about New Brunswick. New Columbia and Prince Edward Isle too, that's definitely sent me down a bit of a rabbit hole! SENATOR COLBERT (Oh and Christine Todd Whitman yeah but COLBERT). New Mexico's fun, New York's is interesting (A Conservative winning there in 2023 must have meant a BAD wave year for the Progressives). Nova Scotia being a bit of a swing state is also interesting, and also hell yeah Rogue from X-Men! I made an interesting sound at the reveal of Pennsylvania's new senator, holy shit! Is he meant to be the Governor of Colorado, because if so that takes carpetbagging to a whole extent! Pulling a Harold Stassen, eh? Rhode Island remaining a swing state makes a lot of sense still. Tennessee having a Progressive in office surprised me but it does make sense! And Texas too, hell yeah! Merrill Cook rarely gets a look in alternate history, fun to see him as one of the longer running senators.

Uh, tl:dr This list is awesome and thank you for making it!

Ahmad Shah of Pahang
AhmadShahPahang.jpg

Sultan Haji Ahmad Shah Al-Musta’in Billah ibni Almarhum Sultan Abu Bakar Ri’ayatuddin Al-Mu’azzam Shah (Pekan, Pahang, Federated Malay States 24 October 1930 - London, England 22 May 2019), better known as Ahmad Shah, was the Sultan of Pahang, succeeding his father Abu Bakar on 7 May 1974 to his deposition on 3 September 2009, after the annexation of Pahang by Malaya. A Muslim, he hailed from the House of Bendahara.

His father, Abu Bakar, ruled Pahang from 1932 to 1974 and was, like all Malay monarchs under the British colonization era, a powerless figurehead confined to his palace : Abu Bakar, although popular, was better known was his numerous marriages to commoners, including actresses and singers. In his image, Ahmad Shah studied at Oxford and Exeter, expecting to be yet another petty king under British rule.

AbuBakarPahang.jpg

The invasion of Malaysia by the Japanese and the “liberation” of the Malay kingdoms came as a complete surprise to the House of Bendahara who became overnight heads of an independent state. When Pahang became independent, Sultan Abu Bakar was already 63 and was more interested in earthly pleasures ; seven years later, in 1974, he passed away, leaving Ahmad Shah to hold the throne. In the meantime, Abdul Razak Hussein had already become the uncontested ruler of Pahang, holding full powers.
Known for his headstrong personality, Ahmad Shah would try, in the first years of his reign, to win a virtual power struggle over his second Menteri Besar, Najib Razak, who succeeded his father in 1976. Razak had full support from the Japanese and was able to placate the Sultan, who grew quite fond of him eventually. Ahmad Shah would devote himself to football, golf, polo and equestrian activities, serving within the FIFA as president of the Asian Football Confederation from 1984 to 1994, leaving everyday matters to his Prime Minister. His official and royal consort, Tengku Ampuan Afzan, died in 1988.

Already 79 when the Islamic Republic of Malaya ended the existence of his realm, Sultan Ahmad Shah was in treatment in London. He would remain there for the remainder of his life, dying in 2019, almost ten years since Pahang had ceased to exist. His eldest son, Prince Abdullah, succeeded him as head of the House of Bendahara and claimant to the throne of Pahang, but has lived a private life, neither officially pressing his claims or endorsing Najib Razak’s government-in-exile in Shanghai.

AbdullahPahang.jpg

Loving that Senators list, both some familiar and some off-the-wall names. Good work!
Thank you very much !
The Republicans manage to survive in the Southwest and New England but they are still far from their prime.
An OTL foreign former head of state is a U.S. senator in this timeline. Great alternate uses of some real-life people. I'm not sure I buy some of these picks though. Where is the ideological divide between the Republicans and the Conservatives in this timeline?

I think that things went for Republicans pretty badly during Roosevelt's second presidency when he managed to establish Protressive Party. But I am bit amazed that GOP is still exist.

GOP is probably ratherly fiscal conservative and libertarian party and Conservative ratherly socially conservative and very religious party. Damn, there was even Pat Robertson's presidency.
One could say that nowadays, the GOP corresponds to the "Rockefeller Republicans", being quite centrist and in favor of business and big government, with a bipartisan streak. The Conservatives are more isolationnist and socially conservatives.
Checked presidential list and I remembered Roosevelt's party wrong. He was still Republican in 1920's. But probably weakening of GOP begun in 1920's or 1930's. In other hand might be that Progessives have either splitted from Democrats or then Democrats have changed their name since last Democrat president was Al Smith in years 1933 - 1941.
The Progressives emerged from former Progressive Republicans and would-be Democratic New Dealers during the Great Depression, while the Democrats survived in the South under the Dixiecrats, who were the first to create the Conservative Party in light of the civil rights era. The Republicans bungled their chances due to isolationism after the World War and missing the train after the civil rights.
Man, a Senators list is terrific! I'm going to go in depth on this because all of the information is really interesting, hope you don't mind! I'm going to very rambling, and no mistake.

Alabama's senators seem pretty decent all things considered, really fascinating to learn about Heather Whitestone so thanks for that (Judging by the dates I assume she replaced Patterson when he passed! Alaska is a mixture of "Aw god" and "Huh!". Arizona and Arkansas makes sense, though I do have to wonder if there's much conflict between the Conservative party members given the OTL nature of their alignments. Condolezza Rice as a Progressive shook me but given that she was a Democrat up until the Reagan years I guess it makes sense. Not as much as her counterpart though, bloody hell! (In a good way) Colorado's pair of senators is terrific, love to see it. This is not a critique more of a statement but I would have figured Connecticut to be one of the bastions of Republican party members, but it's always good to see Progressive colours there. Castle is a no brainer but seeing Denn on the Republican side is certainly interesting. Florida gotta Florida, Georgia's a lot more interesting! Any particular reason why Reed has a different first name here? Hawaii's grand and no mistake, Otter makes sense for Idaho and I wonder what required a quick replacement for Idaho's other senator? Illinois having a Governor Madigan's fun, Indiana, Kansas, Missouri, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, South Dakota, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming seem pretty understandable to me, interesting to see a young slate in Iowa though and Kentucky being a bit more competitive. Louisiana going full Conservative makes a lot of sense and Maine even now being a swingy state is pretty fair too, I know little about Cragin but it's fun to see someone different serving for so long!

Maryland's pair of senators sound pretty fun, all things considered! Same goes for Minnesota. It's fun seeing Republican Warren here, makes total sense! Curious about what happened with Michigan, though it's status as a swing state does make some sense. And man, I was preparing for the worse with Mississippi but that seems...pretty damn good all things considering! Once again, impressed to see that Montana, Nebraska and North Dakota is holding onto the Progressives even if there are troubles ahead for them. Same for Ohio, Senator Kucinich feels weird in a good way! Nevada being Conservative is interesting, definitely makes sense considering it's makeup even a decade or so back. Also Vincent Fox in Nevada! I love this kind of thing, really makes it interesting! Like learning about New Brunswick. New Columbia and Prince Edward Isle too, that's definitely sent me down a bit of a rabbit hole! SENATOR COLBERT (Oh and Christine Todd Whitman yeah but COLBERT). New Mexico's fun, New York's is interesting (A Conservative winning there in 2023 must have meant a BAD wave year for the Progressives). Nova Scotia being a bit of a swing state is also interesting, and also hell yeah Rogue from X-Men! I made an interesting sound at the reveal of Pennsylvania's new senator, holy shit! Is he meant to be the Governor of Colorado, because if so that takes carpetbagging to a whole extent! Pulling a Harold Stassen, eh? Rhode Island remaining a swing state makes a lot of sense still. Tennessee having a Progressive in office surprised me but it does make sense! And Texas too, hell yeah! Merrill Cook rarely gets a look in alternate history, fun to see him as one of the longer running senators.

Uh, tl:dr This list is awesome and thank you for making it!
Thank you for your thorough commentary ! As of your questions :
-Arizona, Connecticut, Maine, Nevada are now swing states. As of Michigan, John James managed to take a long-time Republican state (the one held by Carl... Charles Menem) is a 2022 midterm election sided against President Feingold. Same happened in New York.
-In Idaho, there was a special election after Cecil Andrus' passing in 2017, Ross Felcher acceeded to the Senate shortly thereafter.
-Kasim Reed's father converted to Neo-Kemitism instead of Islam here.
-Stephen Colbert is already a succesful politician in my Perot TL. I couldn't resist.
-Benjamin Mileikowsky entered US politics as the Governor of Colorado, before doing large stints in Washington during the Brownback administration. After settling in Pennsylvania, he was approached by the Conservative Party here.
Was Mandela executed by the Apartheid Regime ITTL or was it more a case of "he was unlucky to get a sickness and died"?
He was shot down during an escape attempt.

Considering Lebed was a military PM who was not particularly effective as a ruler of Russia ITTL, what became of Albert Makashov, Viktor Anpilov, Alexander Nevzorov, Alexander Barkashov, Viktor Aksyuchits, Alexander Rutskoy, and Ruslan Khasbulatov ITTL?

If anything, I bet Islam is extremely unliked among Kemetics due to Islamists destroying the pyramids and sphynx.
It shocked most of the world actually, let's just say Neo-Kemetism is quite popular among African Americans.
Considering Lebed was a military PM who was not particularly effective as a ruler of Russia ITTL, what became of Albert Makashov, Viktor Anpilov, Alexander Nevzorov, Alexander Barkashov, Viktor Aksyuchits, Alexander Rutskoy, and Ruslan Khasbulatov ITTL?
They had careers as far-right politicians, except for Rutskoy, who had a career in the military.